#1 2009-10-22 18:44:48

Hey folks, I've been doing some thinking lately.  There's some very talented, and very dedicated people on this board, and throughout the Wareham community.  I know most of that talent and dedication is going to governmental efforts, which are absolutely important - but I can't help but wonder what else we could do.  At this point, I figured I'd start up a brainstorming thread.  What sorts of things can we do to help the town, and the people in it?  I had two ideas on the train today:

I haven't seen any websites that promote Wareham for what it is, and what it can be.  Maybe one exists, but I couldn't find it in Google.  There's some technical folks on here, can we pull together an unofficial "Here's why Wareham is great, and why you should visit"-type website?  If one already exists, can we make it easier to find?

I've seen a few different places make photobooks and sell them as a fundraiser.  I've seen some of BillW's photos of the town, which are wonderful, and I'm decent with a lens myself.  I'm sure there are others as well.  Maybe we could pull together a nice coffee table type book and sell it with all of the proceeds going somewhere?  I don't have a personal preference as to where, but I'm sure other people do.

Those are two examples, but I'm sure there are others.  I know times are tough on everybody, but many hands make for light work. 

Also, if you're reading this without an account, and you don't want to post on this site, feel free to email me at warehamcasualobserver@gmail.com.  Let's see what we can come up with!

#2 2009-10-22 18:54:55

There have been several posts on this board regarding various public and private food fests - and the descriptions of what gourmet delights were available made me wish I had been able to attend.

So, even if this sounds a bit 'corny', perhaps a Wareham's Favorite Recipes collection is worth looking at as well.  I have seen this generate a fair amount of financial support for church and other civic groups in my experience living in eight different states during my life, why not here and now?

#3 2009-10-22 19:14:10

Why not choose several town projects that need funds.  The bathhouse in Onset has a committee, building plans and no funds, it would appear.  Spinney Library needs money, although it is mired in controversy.  There are numerous plans for intown Main Street that seem to lack funding.  Doing something positive is a terrific idea.

#4 2009-10-22 20:18:28

I know we recently assisted Steve Holmes with collecting canned goods for Damien's Pantry. One of the things that struck me is that it's not just food they need. It is getting close to winter and a coat drive would be an excellent project. I'm sure they people that run Damien's Pantry would welcome such a drive.

Listen, there are several people, seniors and younger people,that need our assistance. Believe me, it is truly worth your time and efforts. Many of us have old coats we don't wear or need.

#5 2009-10-22 20:26:16

What great ideas, I just said to myself this morning that I was going to put a new topic up here just to report the things we see around town that make this place special.  I would hope this site has enough readers at this point where we really can promote our local businesses, people and basically just the love we all carry for this town. 
For starters, there is a gentleman that walks daily and picks up a bag of roadside trash everytime he goes out, its become a habit for him.  I wish I knew his name, he wears a baseball cap and always has a set of am/fm headphones on,  If anyone ever sees this man yell out a big Thank You!!

#6 2009-10-22 20:36:13

Good idea Cas, I'll chip in some pics, I think are great (but I'm biased), and about ten old coats that are still in good shape (maybe even a barracuda in there - I heart the 80's). Books, whatever. Anything we can come up with is better than if we don't do anything. (make sense??)  Where can I drop off some stuff??
Point men/women please..I'll deliver and collect, just tell me where to drive to..

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#7 2009-10-22 23:19:50

I agree.  Great ideas.  As soon as TM is over with, we could promote a coat drive through Christmas and give them to the many that truly need them for warmth this winter.  I'll work on the advertising and welcome help from anyone.  I know I've got at least 6 or 8 coats I haven't worn in years.
Sorry, no barracudas.
Well done Cas.  I've got photos too.

#8 2009-10-23 08:06:32

falcon wrote:

There have been several posts on this board regarding various public and private food fests - and the descriptions of what gourmet delights were available made me wish I had been able to attend.

So, even if this sounds a bit 'corny', perhaps a Wareham's Favorite Recipes collection is worth looking at as well.  I have seen this generate a fair amount of financial support for church and other civic groups in my experience living in eight different states during my life, why not here and now?

Falcon,
I will personally agree to smoke Pork and make bbq sauce if we want to wait until spring. We could have a Taste of Wareham. Restaurants or just regular people. We could donate the proceeds to a worthwhile charity. I do so love to cook!

#9 2009-10-23 08:07:37

Bob,
This is a great idea. So many people out there could use a coat for the brutal winters we have. I look forward to the details.

#10 2009-10-23 16:59:53

Not only does BoBo fabricate stories, he cannot even copy a real news item. from another source.

The local papers and TV stations are headlining a kidnapping at a Fairhaven Stop and Shop by a Wareham fugitive.  BoBo cannot read, and he has announced that the kidnapping occured at the Wareham Stop and Shop.

I think that the charitable fund should buy BoBo a new pair of glasses.

#11 2009-10-23 17:08:39

falcon wrote:

Falcon, this sounds like a fun (and delicious) idea - do you have any idea how to create one?  My old church did something similar, but I wouldn't know where to start creating a cookbook

All, there are some great ideas on here - let's keep them coming!

#12 2009-10-23 18:22:50

How about the "men of warehamobserver.com"  calendar. I want to be May! :) Just joking!

#13 2009-10-23 19:05:53

CAS:
Sorry, I was not trying to hijack your thread.  The BoBO problem is solved-He fixed his mistake and my editing bill is in the mail.

I have worked on a cookbook committee.  You need a large organization to generate recipes.  You need a
dedicated group of volunteers to type, edit and layout the cookbook.  MOST importantly you need outlets to sell the cookbooks.   This might be a project for the future, but it very time-consuming, and it will cut into the time that people have to devote to the April elections.  I think we should plan to do a cookbook, after the elections.

I think photobooks, calenders, barbacues, etc: are all ideas that we might explore as alternatives to a cookbook.

#14 2009-10-23 19:13:13

The Friends are going to have a cookbook starting with the Holiday Fair December 5th.  Please everyone think about buying one or more the proceeds are going to buy books.  I and a friend split buying gifts for the young teenager last year thru the Dick Maloney Fund.  Turning Point, I believe also has a gift giving program.  Prehaps this could be the next focus for this group to help make the holidays good for everyone.
Priscilla Porter

Last edited by emma6782 (2009-10-23 19:14:18)

#15 2009-10-23 20:20:46

I have to agree with Emma Turning Point is a good place for the coat drive to send their collection. There is an underground population in Wareham and Turning point has a handle on it. It takes a long time to gain their trust but they are the ones in the most need. i have worked and helped some of their clients and the need is more than the so called town Fathers want to admit.

#16 2009-10-23 20:23:08

Yeah, there are some very awesome cooks in that book :) I know I am buying a copy!

#17 2009-10-23 21:27:13

Larry:  the 'Taste of' concept can take on a life of its own.  I previously lived in RI, and the 'Taste of' idea has become a year-round activity there with ongoing baskets of locally produced goodies available as well as the annual celebration (in warmer weather) of live tastings of local culinary delights.   Even though I am not a citizen of Wareham, I would enjoy attending any barbeque you put on (even if there were to be a 'cover charge' for out-of-towners).

gogatemen:  You have the advantage over me, I have only purchased and used group cookbooks to enhance my own meager kitchen talents.  I am sure there is a lot of behind the scenes work to make such a project successful.  In my 'defense', I was not suggesting this should divert any resources from meeting the current vital efforts of Wareham citizens to Take Back Wareham.  I was only saying that I have seen such projects bring good results for charitable and worthwhile organizations and there seems to be an abundance of culinary expertise in the Wareham community.

casual:  sounds like gogatemen may have the experience to teach the rest of us how to put this together when the time is right.

emma:  even though I live a couple of towns over from Wareham, I will make an effort to attend the Holiday Fair and buy a cookbook!

#18 2009-10-23 21:57:10

falcon our next get together you are invited.. bring your appetite and beverage of choice.. no cover..

#19 2009-10-23 22:04:09

nothing better than a southern BBQ at my house! I even toss in some sausages, real bratwurst, and burgers/dogs for the less daring!

#20 2009-10-23 22:38:42

Are there websites for Turning Point, Damien's Pantry, , The Dick Maloney Fundor any other similar organizations that serve Wareham and the surrounding area?  I'd be interested in reading about the missions/goals for each.

I was thinking we could call this effort "Give Back to Wareham".  Think anybody will start writing about the "Give Back To Wareham Crowd"? :)

#21 2009-10-23 23:01:11

Investing in conservation land is investing in Warehams future, because that is where the next generation is living. We have more people living in the woods and there cars parked in the conservation areas than most people want to know. We are no different than any major city. Just more into the woods.  Instead of under the overpass e need to take care of these people. They love their children as much as we do and maybe more in that they hide so they will not loose them. Talk to turning point they know the truth about Wareham home less. Not to take away from the seniors that need help as well the problem is bigger than anyone wants to admit. It is more important than any 40b problem If a town just wants to meet its 40 b requirement and them is not responsible they are looking the wrong way. We who can make are own way are not the towns problem the  people who can’t are. We are looking at it from the wrong side of the scale.

#22 2009-10-24 00:01:27

acasualobserver wrote:

GIVE BACK TO WAREHAM :-)

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#23 2009-10-24 02:46:41

gogatemen wrote:

Why not choose several town projects that need funds.  The bathhouse in Onset has a committee, building plans and no funds, it would appear.  Spinney Library needs money, although it is mired in controversy.  There are numerous plans for intown Main Street that seem to lack funding.  Doing something positive is a terrific idea.

Be forewarned and be careful.  I think we still have a committee to resurrect the bathhouse, but no funding.  It would definately be a plus to beautiful Onset Beach and would keep the sand and lines out of the Harbormaster's
rest rooms on the pier.  But.....there are many, many, many, many skunks living under the "beachcomber".  They come out as it is getting dark.  Just ask the summer bike and walking patrols.

#24 2009-10-24 02:52:17

Larry McDonald wrote:

I know we recently assisted Steve Holmes with collecting canned goods for Damien's Pantry. One of the things that struck me is that it's not just food they need. It is getting close to winter and a coat drive would be an excellent project. I'm sure they people that run Damien's Pantry would welcome such a drive.

Listen, there are several people, seniors and younger people,that need our assistance. Believe me, it is truly worth your time and efforts. Many of us have old coats we don't wear or need.

I know that the Church of the Nazarene on Rogers Ave, has free clothing.  I will be able to get the phone # and times on Tuesday to post here.  I have a list of local places for meals, clothes, aid and of course the "Fire Chief Dick Melloni Memorial Toy Drive". I will also find those #'s and I believe they gave new gifts to over 600 children last Christmas.

#25 2009-10-24 02:54:34

wareham pride wrote:

What great ideas, I just said to myself this morning that I was going to put a new topic up here just to report the things we see around town that make this place special.  I would hope this site has enough readers at this point where we really can promote our local businesses, people and basically just the love we all carry for this town. 
For starters, there is a gentleman that walks daily and picks up a bag of roadside trash everytime he goes out, its become a habit for him.  I wish I knew his name, he wears a baseball cap and always has a set of am/fm headphones on,  If anyone ever sees this man yell out a big Thank You!!

Is he on Rte. 28 between Millpond and the Ford Center, maybe?

#26 2009-10-24 03:01:28

Larry McDonald wrote:

Bob,
This is a great idea. So many people out there could use a coat for the brutal winters we have. I look forward to the details.

Are you from Tennessee?  I went to a famous rib place in Memphis, downstairs in an old factory building.  Two parrots repeated every waiters order to the chef.  It was a few miles from where Rev. M. L. King was killed.

#27 2009-10-24 03:06:06

acasualobserver wrote:

falcon wrote:

Falcon, this sounds like a fun (and delicious) idea - do you have any idea how to create one?  My old church did something similar, but I wouldn't know where to start creating a cookbook

All, there are some great ideas on here - let's keep them coming!

Boy, I must be old.  My Church made one years ago and I will dig it out and make it available.  It has a spiral binding.  Semi-hard cover.  Call the printer.

#28 2009-10-24 03:24:50

emma6782 wrote:

The Friends are going to have a cookbook starting with the Holiday Fair December 5th.  Please everyone think about buying one or more the proceeds are going to buy books.  I and a friend split buying gifts for the young teenager last year thru the Dick Maloney Fund.  Turning Point, I believe also has a gift giving program.  Prehaps this could be the next focus for this group to help make the holidays good for everyone.
Priscilla Porter

The Dick Melloni Toy Drive accepts phone applications for children.  Turning Point has a program that sometimes buys for the whole family, depending on their need.  They have shoppers that adopt a family, so to speak.  I believe their $ was funded possibly by a grant.  I'll get more info on that.  Sometimes Turning Point will call the Melloni Toy Drive if someone wants to help a very needy or large family.  Turning Point will buy particular items that the children ask for.  The Melloni Toy Drive, due to the volume of kids, finds out some things the kids are interested in and if we have it they get it, but it is thru fund raisers and donations of new, unwrapped toys that they get their toy inventory.  They cannot afford high end items, but they get plenty of good toys.

#29 2009-10-24 03:28:37

Brian Boru wrote:

I have to agree with Emma Turning Point is a good place for the coat drive to send their collection. There is an underground population in Wareham and Turning point has a handle on it. It takes a long time to gain their trust but they are the ones in the most need. i have worked and helped some of their clients and the need is more than the so called town Fathers want to admit.

People are living in plywood shacks, tents and boxes.  A lot of them are along the tracks behind Walmart.  The police know of some of them,  and have tried to get them shelter, but some won't take it.

#30 2009-10-24 03:34:21

acasualobserver wrote:

Are there websites for Turning Point, Damien's Pantry, , The Dick Maloney Fundor any other similar organizations that serve Wareham and the surrounding area?  I'd be interested in reading about the missions/goals for each.

I was thinking we could call this effort "Give Back to Wareham".  Think anybody will start writing about the "Give Back To Wareham Crowd"? :)

I have all that info and will try to post it on Tuesday.  This is going to be a very bad winter.  People have already started to phone for toys from the Melloni Toy Drive.  They are asked to call back after Halloween.  Usually they don't start calling until after the 31st, so if they are calling early, I guess they know already that the money isn't their for Christmas.

#31 2009-10-24 05:44:19

Brian Boru wrote:

We have more people living in the woods and there cars parked in the conservation areas than most people want to know. We are no different than any major city...  They love their children as much as we do and maybe more in that they hide so they will not loose them. Talk to turning point they know the truth about Wareham home less. Not to take away from the seniors that need help as well; the problem is bigger than anyone wants to admit.

Brian, would you join me in an effort to get at least one homeless shelter built ?  I'm confident with the right minded people we can make it happen.
Wareham has plenty of tracks of land available that might be ideal for such
use.  Let's make it happen.

Cas,  Good thread !

#32 2009-10-24 07:04:12

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I don't like conflict but at times, like this dark time for Wareham, it can't be avioded.

You have lifted the the heavy weight of it all with such a beautiful show of caring.

I am a terrible cook but will buy several books as Christmas gifts. You have given me so many possible ways to turn I feel almost giddy.

Lets hope the people opposing us in the news will copy and try to outdo your efforts.

#33 2009-10-24 08:08:33

Please let me know where I can send a donation.

#34 2009-10-24 08:10:00

GIVE BACK TO WAREHAM...what a wonderful idea and slogan.

#35 2009-10-24 08:23:22

onboard19 wrote:

Lets hope the people opposing us in the news will copy and try to outdo your efforts.

That would be amazing.  We know they all read this site - I have not yet heard from anybody via email or IM, so we'll see.  Based on other threads I've seen, Mr. Slager appears to be continuing to focus on negativity, which I suppose is to be expected, but I really hope he comes around. 

Do folks think that we should pick one of these ideas and really hone in on it, or try to spread across a couple of areas?  If we want to pick just one, I'll pull together a poll and put it in a new thread - Democracy in action!

#36 2009-10-24 08:53:40

Oh, I"m sure they will steal whatever ideas they can and call the ideas their own. Doesn't matter, it's not about who gets credit, it's about what we do help out others!

#37 2009-10-24 08:55:52

start a poll... list all the options.. i love bobs idea we just put the roof on our association hall.. start to finish just under 7 hours 4 guys on the roof 3 girls on the ground.. we all pulled together fed of each others strengths and covered each others weaknesses.. it was a job well done..

all my brothers and sisters from other mothers we can do this if we want!!!!

#38 2009-10-24 09:07:32

If we could bring together two diametrically opposing sides in one cause it may be very news worthy to the major news people. With publicity comes support and major donations.

Take back Wareham and move Wareham forward join together in one loving cause Give back to Wareham. How do we invite them?

#39 2009-10-24 09:17:29

acasualobserver wrote:

Do folks think that we should pick one of these ideas and really hone in on it, or try to spread across a couple of areas?  If we want to pick just one, I'll pull together a poll and put it in a new thread - Democracy in action!

The more good ideas and "giving what we can" the better. Clothes & book donations, recipe books, "Wareham Rocks" photo book, whatever. These ideas all sound good to me, and like alot of people, I'm alot more liable to get "involved" with donationg my time, ideas, efforts (sorry, not alot of xtra $$ right now), when I have a bunch of good people working with me. Thanks Cas, and everyone else. A nudge in the right direction is all some of us need.

GIVE BACK TO WAREHAM :-)

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#40 2009-10-24 11:46:56

acasualobserver wrote:

onboard19 wrote:

That would be amazing.  We know they all read this site - I have not yet heard from anybody via email or IM, so we'll see.  Based on other threads I've seen, Mr. Slager appears to be continuing to focus on negativity, which I suppose is to be expected, but I really hope he comes around. 

onboard19 wrote:

If we could bring together two diametrically opposing sides in one cause it may be very news worthy to the major news people. With publicity comes support and major donations.

Take back Wareham and move Wareham forward join together in one loving cause Give back to Wareham. How do we invite them?

I guess technically, I could be referred to as one of "them", Onboard19, so here it goes...
Personally, I am a huge supporter of Turning Point...building an actual homeless shelter is a wonderful idea but how about trying to obtain something that has already been built (the $$/time saved in having to build from "scratch" could go directly to the organization itself) and turned over to Turning Point as a base for their office and could also double as a temporary shelter for those in need.  Perhaps the town has the ability to "gift" one of the properties that has been taken for taxes that could be "rehabed".  Does anyone know what the current status of the Tobey Homestead except that it sits there empty?  Who actually owns it?  I know that the original intent of the Tobey family was for it to become an orphanage...homelessness could be considered temporary "housing orphans"...I know the old library on High Street has a for sale sign in front of it...who's selling that?  I'm sure it would take major work but how cool would it be to give such a beautiful building a real purpose again...then once an actual "do-able " shelter idea is figured out, all the other ideas listed here could go towards the envisioned shelter idea...fundraising for the shelter...I know "cook-offs" can be really popular and a great way to raise money...it's amazing how motivating a First Place trophy based on a certain food category can be...

I know the Wareham Area Committee for the Homeless was responsible for Turning Point's "creation"...perhaps if we were to contact them with various "brainstorming" ideas, they could "Point" us in the most viable direction...

#41 2009-10-24 14:01:52

Folks, let's start out simple. Steve Holmes and others (inlcuding myself) worked to collect cans at Stop n Shop for Damien's Pantry. The very same people that manage the pantry would be a contact point for a Coat Drive. They are serving the same people that would benefit from such a drive. While there are several projects that are worthwhile and we should pursue, the winter is almost here and let's do something immediate that could benefit some people in need. It would take time and effort to collect the coats, but who wouldn't give up a saturday to do this?

If everyone is up for it, I'll contact Steve (hopefully he is reading this) and we can do a bit of advertising(on this wonderful site and maybe in the Courier) and AWAY WE GO!

If we do it under the banner of Give Back to Wareham, then it doesn't matter what side of the political agenda you are on.

Who's up for it?????

#42 2009-10-24 14:18:26

Larry, I like the idea of picking one of the ideas, going full gusto on it, and making it a success.  Then, once there's a great story to share, we can build on that success.  If it's the coat drive, that's a great start.  Should we contact Damien's Pantry first and make sure that's something they really need, or is that pretty much a standing need for them all the time?

Do we want to do a 1-day "coat flood", or let it run for some period of time?  Where can we setup standing collection points?  Would the board give us the keys to town hall for something like this like they did for Schneider and Begley?  Should we set a specific goal, or just go for as many as we can get?

I gotta say, I'm excited - the very idea that I haven't actually met any of you, yet we can work together on something like this, is great!

#43 2009-10-24 14:25:22

cas i like the town hall idea we could do it a coat/winter items, food, and toys for christmas!!
all at the same time since there would be plenty of room and a central location..

#44 2009-10-24 14:46:10

I believe the Hammond School used to do the area coat drive...I know I donated last year...

Perhaps you could add winter clothing to the list...I have 3 bags full that I would be happy to donate to the efforts of the "Give Back to Wareham" (organization? mindset? whatever?) Maybe the library would allow you to use it as a "home base" where people could drop the items off to you over a weekend. 

How about an indoor "yard sale"?  Most people have a few good "yard salable" items hanging around the house but not enough to put all the time and effort into trying to organize their own yard sale, but might donate their few items to a "community effort" yard sale...Maybe one of the local businesses with a large building or the Town Hall cafeteria could be donated for the event...

#45 2009-10-24 15:09:43

Cas,
I will contact Steve and go through his contact at Damien's Pantry. I know there are several ideas, but with winter approaching, this one is definitely needs to happen soon. I'll get more info and get back with everyone.

#46 2009-10-24 15:13:15

Thanks Ms Lilly, I was going to mention that the school has one every year (coat drive). Maybe we could coordinate with them. What about Old shoes/boots, hats, scarfs, etc., etc.. Would Damien's pantry be the way to go? An indoor yard sale type thing sounds good. But I don't know if I'm ready to part with my lava lamp just yet.

Also, Liz, like you suggested. Toys, baby clothes (and lots of other "baby/kid stuff"), anyone's not using anymore might be a good way to clear some space and truly assist those most in need. One afternoon of "house cleaning" should do it.

You're right Cas, It's very exciting. I hope we get alot of stuff. The Town Hall might be a good idea (as far as the most potential for people to donate). Two things. One, how to get the "keys to Town Hall" from Brenda's fingers, and two, will "they" just try and spin it as a "timely" political move to support our "evil agenda".

Either way, this looks like a great thing to focus on the day after TM. Then it's "Full Steam Ahead".

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#47 2009-10-24 15:24:21

Thanks Larry!

I'd suggest that we focus on one "thing" first - maybe it's "winter clothes", maybe it's "coats"...it would probably be easiest not to branch out into toys and other stuff at this point.  Let's get the first project right, and then we can move on to bigger and better things.  Larry, let me know if you need any help.

#48 2009-10-24 15:37:39

PShooter wrote:

An indoor yard sale type thing sounds good. But I don't know if I'm ready to part with my lava lamp just yet.

I'd pay top dollar for it when you decide it's time to let it go :-) 

As far as getting the keys to town hall, how about just asking for them?

#49 2009-10-24 16:01:05

The library had a basket for fleece jackets to donate recently.  Last year Damiens had sweaters scarfs jackets and the like out for anyone who needed them.

#50 2009-10-24 16:05:16

I will be happy to send a check. We don't have a lot of warm clothing here to donate.

#51 2009-10-24 16:05:22

My own computer is on the fritz.  Thanks to my kind friend for letting me use theirs for a few minutes.
There are a couple of good books at the new book store covering the wonderful things about Wareham. Great pictures.

#52 2009-10-24 16:07:40

I had heard this site was a kinder gentler place than in the past.   I guess I would have to agree.  nice to see.  You know this site used to bring out the worst in me.  I guess that was the same for a lot of people.

#53 2009-10-24 16:10:28

Dan, please do send a check.  Wareham needs it.  lol

#54 2009-10-24 16:12:11

Please send it   Attn: Pinkpanther #1 fantasy lane Wareham Mass.   Just playin.

#55 2009-10-24 16:22:36

acasualobserver wrote:

Thanks Larry!

I'd suggest that we focus on one "thing" first - maybe it's "winter clothes", maybe it's "coats"...it would probably be easiest not to branch out into toys and other stuff at this point.  Let's get the first project right, and then we can move on to bigger and better things.  Larry, let me know if you need any help.

Cas, I hear you. But, what I'm gonna do is clear out the house. Winter/Christmas is coming. If me giving old coats, boots, toys, etc., to people who might actually get some good use of them, then it's probably something I should have done yesterday, y'know?

I'm not trying to take the focus away from any one thing. Our focus is TM for about another week. This is something that's needed all the time. There are some who always do what they can, and there are a quite a few of that type who post here. I say if anyone has alot of stuff they feel can be put to better use (and clear some space), now's as good a time as any. Heck, email me anyone and I'll pick it up on my way. I'm not a real "dip my toe in the pool type". When I decide to jump in the pool, it's usually by way of the "cannonball"

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

Last edited by PShooter (2009-10-24 16:31:47)

#56 2009-10-24 16:42:34

PShooter....That's exactly what I was thinking with the indoor yard saler...since this time of year isn't generally conducive for your typical yard sale, you wouldn't have the normal surrounding "competition"...and I also "clean house" at this time of year for the influx of new stuff that will be arriving with the holidays...then you have those that will most certainly be looking for a bargain this time of year and I'm sure I can't be the only one with stuff with price tags still on them that would make a great gift for someone if they were to find it at sale...

#57 2009-10-24 16:43:55

cas has said it right; these are all great ideas ,"but you can only eat an elephant one bite at a time."...and winter clothes donations will get stimulated by the realities of the weather.  In addition to our own  stuff , maybe we could get the stores in town that sell winter clothes to donate?   I'll be glad to take a shot at that one this week . L.L Bean first.

...then on to Old Navy, T J Max, Wal Mart....who else?

#58 2009-10-24 16:53:32

Dick Wheeler wrote:

cas has said it right; these are all great ideas ,"but you can only eat an elephant one bite at a time."...and winter clothes donations will get stimulated by the realities of the weather.  In addition to our own  stuff , maybe we could get the stores in town that sell winter clothes to donate?   I'll be glad to take a shot at that one this week . L.L Bean first.

...then on to Old Navy, T J Max, Wal Mart....who else?

Dick, want a tag-a-long? Let me know. Can we still get ice cream?
That's great. I'm on board with whatever is decided is best (I'll probably still clean house). I do think the idea of a "yard sale" at Town Hall is a good idea. That way we can hand over $$$, and what doesn't sell, we donate (toys, etc.)

The coats, boots, etc., should be a straight donation, and "organized" if that's what you want to do.

Dick, I'm not kidding. What day(s) work best for you? Send me an email, thnx.

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#59 2009-10-24 17:11:42

Fr Gabe from Damien's left me a voice message I will give him a call and ask about the winter clothing.

There's a great spot for a drop off next door to Benny's on Cr Hwy and the place is empty

#60 2009-10-24 17:15:21

PS Dan I could come by and pick the check up if you would like. Just make sure there are a few zeros after the first number and before the decimal point.

#61 2009-10-24 17:25:10

Wow, I am overwhelmed with the suggestions popping out of this site.  What a great show of support for people less fortunate.  Being a "Tobey Hospital Special" & living here my entire life, I didn't find out until I was older that a lot of us were poor.  We had a roof, heat, lights, clothes & food. I was very fortunate to be born to my parents, who raised us with good morals, to value a dollar, to not be selfish but share, to appreciate what we had, to be unprejudiced and NEVER think we were better than anyone.  We loved getting hand me downs.  We gardened, & froze, canned or preserved our fruits & veggies. We lived in the woods, with a few summer homes nearby.  Two kerosene stoves to heat our old, uninsulated, big hunting lodge home.  Wild rabbits would eat out of our hands. Adopted 2 baby crows & 2 baby raccoons that would have died if left alone.   Loved tromping thru the woods.  That's where I got to love the beauty of nature.

I feel we should move slow. Gather up CLEAN, (no stains) clothes. Make sure buttons are there & zippers work.  First, before advertising, seek out every school principal, nurse & secretary.  They see these kids every day.  They cannot give you names, but they can get sizes.  Mary Walker, the school resourse officer has helped many families over the years as a regular police officer.  She knows the needy areas.         Contact the COA & some of the smaller churches.  We have lots of people who love to knit.  I think a lot of us have a skein or 2 around - hats, mittens, scarfs & baby blankets. It would give them a way to help even if they have no $, they have talent.  Some may sew & could replace buttons, zippers all year long.         After filling the needs at the schools, advertise.  I would contact the Nazarene Church and Turning Point first before advertising coats or clothes. They have regular customers.  By doing it this way you will actually reach more people. Lots that don't have transportation, are embarrassed to ask, won't show.  After these bases have been tagged, then offer a weekend drive in Onset & Wareham.  Damien's Pantry & St.Pat's have food pantrys.  Those volunteers would know who needs coats & shoes, etc.   Turning Point helps those who are homeless or about to be.  I can't say enough good things about them.         Baby goods are always needed.  Just clean the car seats or toys before you bring them in.  Nobody wants to get anything dirty.

HOMELESS SHELTERS.  The former town library belongs to Tobey Hospital. I don't think they would open this as a shelter. They just let go of 50 workers. So we would need to pay for heat and there is probably a liability insurance to deal with.  Don't get me started on the will of Alice Tobey.  Billw can fill you in on more & has dear friends that know the will & are outraged by the way the will's wishes have been disregarded and abused by Tobey and the BOS.  The Homestead was to be used as a school or a home for orphans to live in to go to school from.  Billw can tell you the truth about it. The correct story.  I would love to have his dear friends hold a hall meeting and speak to us about this. They are old and the story should get out before no one left in town can tell it.  Billw should be the history teacher for the town of Wareham.  He has to be over the genious level.  I remember when nurses really lived in the Homestead.  One of the most beautiful buildings in town.        Miss Lilly is right, I think, that to build a shelter would be overwhelming.  I agree with the idea of vacant buildings.  EXAMPLE ONLY!  This place would never work, but on Onset Ave., after the playground towards the center there is a vacant gas station on the left.  It could be gutted, opened up to one big room. Add a few individual toilets, sinks, and showers.  Make portable room dividers to accomadate diff. size families.  Cots, make port./folding cots to use w/sleeping bag or mattress.  A refridgerator with milk & juices, snacks. A coffee pot.  They can help clean the shelter before leaving in the morning.  A more permanent one could also work along those lines.  What about some of the churches who have finished basements or halls attached?   What about some empty private homes that could hold several families?  Could this benifit the owner with a tax right off?  Donations for utilities or by fundraisers.  Cindy Parola is involved with Habitat for Humanity.  She should have some ideas of the do's & don'ts.          OKAY, LET ME HAVE IT!  What do you think?

#62 2009-10-24 17:27:08

Searay240...you got it brother...see  you in a few days...

#63 2009-10-24 17:38:16

I think you are the greatest, Bornof!!

#64 2009-10-24 18:44:51

Steve, if the town can lease land for $1 per year for 99 years, maybe they can do the same of one of the properties taken for taxes and in need of some rehab?  I think the Boys and Girls Club has such a lease?

#65 2009-10-24 18:45:18

Not yet, Biff, but I just keep trying.  You know, after all the negativity due to the politics in Wareham I was feeling like my stomach was in knots.  Some nights I would get off this site and be so depressed or so angry.  Can we really pull this off?  Are we strong enough to reach out and tell the rest of the people in town what is really going on?  Well, as you must know by now, I talk a lot.  I have talked to so many people about what has been found to be true from the people on this site that I have it memorized and not intentionally.                    All we can do right now is attend Town Meeting and in force.  Not loud and boistrous.  Loud enough to be heard, simply by our numbers and loud enough to be heard when we speak at TM.  My anger has subsided, I have regained my faith in the system of free speach and you all have been my motivators.  I've read the good & the bad & how we agree that we can disagree.  I've watched some nasty comments come my way when I first came onboard.  I'm sure they are still out there, but they have been quiet.           I have a very good feeling about TM.  Is the war over? No, not by a long shot, but I feel Wareham is being taken back by people that love her.  People that will definately make a difference and will immediately speak up and hold people accountable.  The curtain of secrecy is going to be pulled down and burned.         Take Back Wareham.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com