#1 2009-10-18 20:56:26

....then why does the town meeting warrant give them the right to "convey" (that is, to sell) it?  From all of the conversations that I've had, nobody is against building affordable housing for the town's seniors.  No matter what other publications or currently-in-office politicians tell you, that's not what we're doing.  We just want it to be done RIGHT.  If they want to lease the property, why put anything about selling the property in the question?  To me, that clause alone is reason to vote against this issue.  It leaves far too much to chance for this board, or any future board, to be able to perform this work properly.

As for the K&P opinion that was circulated Saturday, Slager reported it being based on the fact that the Board is going to lease the property.  Well, that's simply not what the question gives them authority to do.  It just isn't.  There's a big difference between "lease" and "lease and convey".  Note that Slager called this opinion a "ruling" - this is either abject ignorance on his part not realizing that laywers can't "rule" on anything, or it's another attempt to strengthen the board's position by using the term "ruling" instead of "opinion".  Obviously, "ruling" sounds much more ironclad to an uneducated reader.  It's so frustrating to see these transparent attempts to push the board's agenda, especially when the other publications haven't gotten anything out about the meeting yet.

#2 2009-10-19 07:27:38

Cas, 
Did you happen to read that opinion/"ruling" ?  I'm convinced that not one of our leaders (to include the ITA) did.  I'm also convinced they didn't read the law either.
K&P's Ms. Jeanne S. McKnight references the section of the law (G.L. Ch. 40
Section 15/15A) that's included in the Article 2, which, in my opinion, is not applicable to the Westfield proposal.  In fact, her October 2 opinion is her second attempt (at more legal costs) to assist the BOS with leverage to get it right.  Ladies and genntlemen, don't be fooled.

If you read Section 15A, the first sentence states: "Whenever a board or officer having charge of land..." and it goes on to read "constituting the whole or any part of an estate...for a "specific purpose"...shall determine that such land is no longer needed for such purpose",...
Let's stop there and dissect.  First of all there is NO "board or officer" having
any charge of Westfield, either in part or whole.  Secondly, the BOS has argued that this parcel was taken for "general municipal purposes".  If so and that's what they believe, why are we applying and asking/paying for a legal opinion that's not applicable ???

Further into Ms. McNight's opinion she references Sections 3 & 4 of the same Chapter.  Section 3 starts out: "A town may hold real estate...and may convey...by a deed of its selectmen thereto DULY AUTHORIZED,...; may by its
selectmen let or lease FOR NOT MORE THAN TEN YEARS,...

Let's stop right there !  Again, key words "DULY AUTHORIZED" and for not more than TEN YEARS.

SO, without the vote of town meeting the BOS aren't DULY AUTHORIZED to do anything and even if so, why does the Article suggest leasing for any term beyond TEN years ?

All this information is available for anyone to read.  I encourage everyone to do so if you have the time.  The law is the law.  Visit www.mass.gov

#3 2009-10-19 08:14:04

When the Wareham Selectmen have used particular language in acquiring land in the past: such as in 2003, when the wording was " to acquire by Gift, Purchase, or Eminent Domain" in the published an Article relative to the  five Acres of Swifts Beach private property, they ignored implications of Gift and Purchase - detroying Cretified Mail containing the owner's offers - and went straight for Eminent Domain at the earliest time possible - and voted to TAKE it  for GENERAL MUNICIPAL PURPOSES, according to the Deed.

They have since interpreted that General Municipal Purposes means anything they want it to mean.  The piece of land that was used for over 60 years as a private parking lot and recreation is now SACRED CONSERVATION LAND with a plan to return it to its pristine condition in the 1930's: a marsh with a history of a mosquito problem and health hazard for the densely populated neighborhood.  The Town paid $2Million for a mosquito problem.  The benefactors are  Bruce and his relatives.

Don't trust any ambiguous language produced by Bruce, his Sister-In-Law Attorney, or Kopleman & Paige.  Acceptance of "casual" wording and the trust of verbal promises means nothing to these gansters with an attitude of "If you don't like it, sue us!".

Last edited by waterview (2009-10-19 08:17:05)

#4 2009-10-19 08:19:45

Thanks cas and Bob....
People shouldn't be duped by high priced attorneys that are looking to further their own coffers and offer vague legal advise in order to continue to eat at the public trough.(my opinion, of course).
What was it Shakespeare said about the lawyers?
The intent of the people is what counts, not the half-assed researched verbiage of some lawyer from Boston interpreting.
Time to stop the bleeding.

#5 2009-10-19 08:47:37

Bob,

Great breakdown.  I hadn't read the laws in full - I just picked up on the "lease" vs "convey" issue.  It's frightening how much the board seems to rely on one lawyer's opinion on these things.  Yes, they are paid to know this stuff, but when you think about it, almost any time two lawyers are in the same courtroom, they have a different opinion.  One would hope they'd get something solid before trying to ram the proposal down everybody's throat.  I guess that's too much to ask for.

#6 2009-10-19 08:52:56

If I may be so lame, I have a question. IF Westfield were to pass, couldn't the entire mess be subject to lawsuit and tying it up in court for an extended period? Past history tells us the Selectmen are prone to interpret the law incorrectly and it has cost us a tremendous amount of money. IS this really something we want to do again? Folks, let's nip this in the bud and vote NO on article 2.

We need to push the current Selectmen and after april, the new selectmen, to gather the troops, do a comprehensive study of affordable senior housing and present it to the PUBLIC so we can start to attack this problem in a logical manner. Besides, Mr. Heaton stated at the saturday meeting that he VOLUNTEERED his service to help with problem.

I encourage all the new visitors to join this site and openly discuss the upcoming Town Meeting.

#7 2009-10-19 10:05:12

bbrady wrote:

All this information is available for anyone to read.  I encourage everyone to do so if you have the time.  The law is the law.  Visit www.mass.gov

I'll re-post this as it contains links to all applicable MGL and Plymouth Reg. of Deeds, along with Article 2.

ARTICLE 2
To see if the Town will vote to authorize the Board of Selectmen, pursuant to G.L. c. 40, s.15A , to lease the care and custody of the real property and improvements thereon known as Westfield Site, more specifically located at Charlotte Furnace Road, consisting of 18.5 acres, more or less, and identified on Wareham Assessor's Map 105, Parcel 1001 and Assessors’ Map 105A, Parcels 107 through 130 and Parcels 162 through 175 and Parcels 198 through 213 and Parcels 215 through 221 and Parcels 229 through 238 and Parcels 259 through 287, and described in the instrument recorded with the Plymouth District Registry of Deeds in Book 4314, Page 189, said portion containing 24.49 acres, more or less, being the premises shown as Westfield Overall Plan surveyed by G.A.F Engineering on May 11, 2006,  to be placed under the Selectmen’s care and custody for the purposes of continuing and expanding the use of the parcel for affordable senior rental housing and further, to authorize the Board of Selectmen, if the Board of Selectmen so vote, to lease or convey said property and improvements for the purposes of improving, expanding and the perpetual management of the property for affordable rental housing pursuant to the requirements of G.L. c.40, s.3 and G.L. c.30B, et seq.  and upon terms and conditions acceptable to the Board of Selectmen and pursuant to the authority granted the Board of Selectmen by G.L. c.44, s.55C , and further, that if the Board of Selectmen is to lease for a maximum of 99 years said property, that lease be subject to the prior placement of a restriction on said property, including but not limited to that found at G.L. c.184, ss.31-33ensuring that all dwelling units constructed thereon be restricted for affordable housing purposes in perpetuity; or take any other action thereon or to do or act in any manner relative thereto.

Inserted by the Board of Selectmen

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#8 2009-10-19 20:53:41

How can they possibly manage a project of this magnitude when they cannot manage the general Town business?  All of a sudden they aspire to  become developers in addition to their other failed ventures!

#9 2009-10-19 23:17:58

waterview: You are too kind.

I have it in me to have sympathy for the three BOS people who  seem to be  on the losing side of  personal financial struggles..I've been there....not as extreme as theirs, but enough to "feel their pain."

Having stated that, I have to add that even if these people were family members  or life-long friends, I hope that I  could summon the sense to say that people who are dealing with  extreme financial problems should be prevented , for their own sake, from the inevitable temptations involved in a 30 million dollar development deal.Let's  not kid ourselves: developer$ are aggre$$ive. People who are dealing with these stresses ...3 out of of 5 of whom are also pushing for involving themselves in these stresses should carefully monitored.

I'm not blaming them when I speak of their financial problems...What I'm saying, in medical terms, is that it doesn't make sense to put people with impaired immune systems into highly contagious situations.

If the people we are talking about followed the rules of professionalism and commonsense they'd resign.    You know as well as I that that"ain't gonna  happen".  It's up to us to  make democracy work: at the town meeting(s)  next week and in April.

#10 2009-10-20 02:55:52

waterview wrote:

How can they possibly manage a project of this magnitude when they cannot manage the general Town business?  All of a sudden they aspire to  become developers in addition to their other failed ventures!

Gee, does that come into play with the new ruling by the ITA, that you can only have one municipal job and if you have a second job anywhere, you have to tell him and he will decide if you can keep your second job.  Sounds like a little of Lt. Bliss's situation is hidden in here somewhere.  Anyone not following the ITA's ruling, will be reprimanded.    So, if you are an employed selectman, you can't go into the real estate business with out written permission from the Idiot Town Administrator.  What is wrong with this board and the Idiot TA?  Listen people, they need to be gone and soon.  Wareham is falling apart-----no, I'm sorry, it's being torn apart by incompetents.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com