#1 2009-10-17 22:44:47

"Moving Wareham Forward", my a**. 
"AN AFTERNOON OF CITIZEN'S PARTICIPATION" - I don't think so unless of course you support Westfield and eliminating civil service from the police chief's position.  Otherwise today's "agenda" was only that of the BOS.

Typically citizen's participation would allow for the citizens to initiate the subject material.  Instead the BOS USED Mr. Schneider, Ms. Begley and CoachTP as front persons to orchestrate "Moving" their agenda "Forward".

I'm curious, did anyone witness any presubmitted questions ? 
Today's Dog and Pony show was all about the BOS's town meeting agenda and had nothing to do with the citizenry and OUR concerns.

The only movement that happened today was the majority of those in attendance leaving the auditorium as most realized that the gathering was again for the self serving selectmen.

April can't come soon enough...

#2 2009-10-17 23:08:13

Bob, does that mean they didn't cover budget, legal fees, the audit, the library, charter review, the COA, or anything else listed on the MWF site?  Who was on the panel?  Looks like the BOS and the interim chief.  Anybody else?

#3 2009-10-17 23:27:40

As it is said desperate people do desperate things. From what I can get for the little I have read this was an act of desperation on the part of the BOS. I don’t know if MWF was a willing participant or not but it looks like it was set up to be the last stand of the real power elite.
If people were walking out they were not getting their message across or maybe they were . “we are in charge and you will do what we want.” This is the Peoples Republic of Wareham and I am sweet Brucey you will listen to me even if you don’t like what I have to say.  This is the beginning of the end for the real Power Elite and the clown from out of town.

#4 2009-10-17 23:39:03

Cas,
I didn't stay around to witness anything further after the "moderator"
Mr. Schneider denied me the opportunity to ask my question.  It was their agenda not the citizen's as it was promoted.
Others who stayed to the end told me that they discussed primarily Westfield and the civil service articles.  Again, their agenda only.  Any deviation from that was quickly stifled.

#5 2009-10-17 23:49:11

Thanks Bob...and Thanks for giving us (so far) 2 meetings that actually meant something!

TBW1

TBW2

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#6 2009-10-18 00:16:01

I can only say that Westfield got a rude reception, and no questions were asked of the Interim Police Chief. I believe the CRC was next up, but after 2 hours of Westfield, my old knees were tired and I didn't see anything that would change my mind about how I feel or how I will vote.

I wonder if Ms Petunia was there?

Again, my one question hasn't been answered. Did anyone see a large amount of town employees there? I didn't. After the email campaign from Jane Donahue, it's clear the employees are choosing a different direction.

I just want to add that in my opinion, there needs to be a comprehensive study done on affordable senior housing and then put together a plan to deal with it. The Westfield article has too many questions to be a viable option.

Take Back Wareham!

#7 2009-10-18 00:28:38

Before I head to bed (should been there an hour ago!)

I was thinking back to the Interim Police Chief statement that a Civil Service Chief is not responsible to the citizens. I'm still confused by that statement.

It is my understanding that a strong chief could still be disciplined by the TA/Selectmen or even fired, but if the Chief felt it was unjustified, he could appeal through Civil Service.

I also am sure the biggest difference for me is that if the civil service is removed, the TA/Selectmen can appoint anyone they like as Police Chief. I am not sure I like that. If we review their hiring history and our current administration, I'm not comfortable with their ability to make a sound choice for that very important job.

#8 2009-10-18 13:52:15

I was thinking that maybe we should conduct our own "citizen's participation"
to include all the subject topics that the BOS and THEIR panel didn't discuss
at yesterday's meeting and any other topics of concern to everyone here.

Anybody interested ?

#9 2009-10-18 14:26:11

bbrady wrote:

I was thinking that maybe we should conduct our own "citizen's participation"
to include all the subject topics that the BOS and THEIR panel didn't discuss
at yesterday's meeting and any other topics of concern to everyone here.

And to keep things fair and equal shouldn't brenda pull out the keys to the town hall again?  Also, shouldn't Jane Donahue send all town employees emails informing them of the meeting?

#10 2009-10-18 14:38:45

Mixie,
I don't want to bother them on the weekend.  I was thinking we could conduct our exchanges right here electronically and hope that the many
visitors would take an opportunity to express their concerns as we head in to TM.

Besides, I think the elected officials are VERY busy trying to figure out how to make up for lost ground after yesterday's fiasco.

Also I think most of us have that employee email list now.  We could invite them ourselves.

#11 2009-10-18 15:09:16

Good idea Bob. Want to schedule a time in the near future (now)? We could run through the agenda they intended to use.

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#12 2009-10-18 15:22:16

Their agenda was:
1. Civil Service status of the position of the Chief
2. Westfield Site and Senior Affordable Housing
3. Charter Review
4. Town Budget
5. Economic Development
6. Town legal fees
7. The Computer Audit
8. Library Trustees and the Settlement

Maybe each of them should have their own thread (some already do here) ?

I've got a few topics of my own:
9. Vacant department head positions (Planner, TA, Library Director)
10. Violations of the Charter
11. (Add any personal topics here)

#13 2009-10-18 15:28:23

It sounds like their meeting, like most things they do, was a collossal failure.  They put out an agenda of 8 items, and then spend two and a half hours on Westfield, briefly talk about Civil Service, brush off questions about the computer audit, and never reach the other topics?  People walking out en masse because they can't put up with two hours of boring bloviations from BOS blowhards?

A whole week to rehearse their lines and even then they couldn't put on a good show.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-10-18 15:29:38)

#14 2009-10-18 15:36:12

1. Civil Service status of the position of the Chief - NO ON 5
2. Westfield Site and Senior Affordable Housing -   NO ON 2
3. Charter Review                                           -   NO Mayor (April)
4. Town Budget                                               -   O, my head
5. Economic Development                          - No On 2, Yes on 22, stop blocking ADM
6. Town legal fees                                     - Oh, my head!!!
7. The Computer Audit                               - Witch Hunt (Happy Halloween)
8. Library Trustees and the Settlement        - The opposite of what Bobo writes

9. Vacant department head positions (Planner, TA, Library Director)
10. Violations of the Charter - Both of these are because our "misrepresentitives" have failed us.

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

Last edited by PShooter (2009-10-18 15:46:44)

#15 2009-10-18 16:30:03

Their agenda was:
1. Civil Service status of the position of the Chief Vote to maintain civil service. We cannot depend on the current Selectmen based on their history of hiring practices and personnel decisions
2. Westfield Site and Senior Affordable Housing Vote no on Westfield. We need a comprehensive review of Senior affordable housing and a solid plan before we commit.
3. Charter Review I could go on for days, but we need a CRC that actually reviews the charter and has a full compliment of members. The members need to be a cross section of the citizens, not the same group of pro-selectmen cronies.
4. Town Budget Uhmmm, punt?
5. Economic Development ADM project will be beneficial to our growing senior population and Bay Pointe deserves the opportunity to proceed
6. Town legal fees Can we vote no to K&P? Our selectmen's decisions have lead to atronomical legal fees. They are not winning these cases, and continue to press forward with an agenda that begs for lawsuits.
7. The Computer Audit another debacle that we, the taxpayers, saw our dollars go to fund an agenda of control and retribution. We lay off most of Muni Maint and library workers, and this is what we get for the money?
8. Library Trustees and the Settlement enough about this. The library continues to suffer because of this lawsuit. When will they quit trying to punish the former trustees by destroying the library?

Maybe each of them should have their own thread (some already do here) ?

I've got a few topics of my own:
9. Vacant department head positions (Planner, TA, Library Director) another example of poor decisions and shoddy management. Who is running this town?
10. Violations of the Charter   too many and not enough time....
11. Maybe this is a redo, but there is an abundance of intelligent, experienced, and willing volunteers in this town. Why do the selectmen continue to refuse to put these people on boards and committees? I'm tired of hearing that there are not enough volunteers when I know for a fact there are citizens of this town that have offerred their services and have either been rejected outright or ignored? We need an answer to this! The Selectmen have to stop pushing their agenda and push the town's agenda.

#16 2009-10-18 17:05:10

Larry, you understand me so well..

I think copying the question's one by one and adding your thoughts, affirmations or disputes is a good way of us expressing our individual "leaning's". Certainly more efficient than waiting for a government sponsored political Rally that fell far short of it's promise.

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#17 2009-10-18 17:11:13

PLEASE!!!
Think about doing this by PMs' and e-mails, etc.
Don't make the same mistake that your foes have made.
Consider and discuss what you must do to win, and do it privately.
It's like telling the enemy where you will be and what armaments you will carry.
Remember: MOLES everywhere!

#18 2009-10-18 17:44:36

dan
you are right it is time to go underground and only trust the people you know. you only have a week to show you power and it is not elite but the power of the free people of Wareham.

#19 2009-10-18 18:26:13

Kinsailman:
Iontaobhas ach ghnáthdhaoine a leanann tú i ifreann!

#20 2009-10-18 18:31:47

well that translated to I should go to hell. I hope that is not what you were saying. If you are using google translator them it does not work with Irish as it should.

#21 2009-10-18 19:07:32

Oh, No...It says I would follow you into hell!
Sorry...I have a primitive translator!!

#22 2009-10-18 19:19:09

Darn those frickin Irish! :)

#23 2009-10-18 19:36:08

I have no plan on going to hell so you do not have to follow me there. Follow me to freedom from bad gov. in Wareham.

#24 2009-10-19 08:24:33

Kin....you got it, brother.

#25 2009-10-19 08:25:15

Larry's right...have to go back to French or German..

#26 2009-10-19 08:43:14

Zehr Gut Herr OConnell! Wunderbar!

#27 2009-10-19 10:10:35

Thank you, Mr. McDonald. Du bist der Mann!

#28 2009-10-19 10:20:09

Danke! This has been good for me. I haven't used my Deutsch since around '90 and it has made me go back and re-learn!

Now, since you were a Selectmen in 1977. Do you recall the conversations with the Campanelli's and the reason behind the deed restrictions? I figured I would ask since our current Selectmen do not have the courtesy to ask.

#29 2009-10-19 11:04:15

Yes I do. I will PM you.

#30 2009-10-19 11:38:12

Danke Herr Oconnell!

#31 2009-10-22 23:33:34

I watched the rebroadcast tonight.  There is absolutely NO doubt that it was
a "promote the BOS agenda" session and they used Mr. Schneider and Ms. Begley as mouthpieces/"sponsors".  As sponsors, does that mean they paid for the use of town hall or did the tax payers pick up that tab too ?  Sure,
let's move Wareham Forward with the same continued abuse and fiscal irresponsibilty.  And where was the "panel" of Town Boards, Committees and Departments to respond to the issues ?  The only "real opportunity" was for the BOS to press their agenda the week before TM.

#32 2009-10-22 23:55:07

That's what it looked like to me, Bob.
...Stay tuned to a PShooter channel near you, coming (relatively) soon..

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#33 2009-10-23 07:26:29

I thought it was sooooo cute when all the speakers (Heaton, Stanley, the Donawhos) used move wareham forward repeatedly. Yes, it was a sponsored rally, but the sponsor was very apparent.

#34 2009-10-23 08:08:53

bruce, john d, heaton, jane d, heaton again, john d again, dick and john d again, all got to COMMENT yet almost everyone in the audience was cut off and not allowed to finish a sentence..

a PERFECT example of open honest debate with our elected officals.. thanks to ellen b and mike s for proving once again to the residents that our bos, ita and moderator DO NOT care what we have to say!!! and now its on tape for all to see..

#35 2009-10-23 09:06:45

There was no debate, only questions. This was a love fest and Ellen Begley and Schneider should be ashamed of themselves for promoting a process of LISTEN to the Selectmen, ask them questions, but DO NOT make any statements against them. Sounds a bit restrictive, huh?

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com