#1 2009-10-07 19:13:58

I tried to cut and paste this but have not been sucessful so I will type it in.  There are two other entities that support the library and have contributed to help give Wareham the wonderful library that we have had.  The following is an accounting of the Trustees and the Wareham Library Foundation.
Wareham Library Foundation
Fiscal Year 2007-2008 (July 1 to June 30)
Grants Given:
Board of Trustees              $20,000
Friends WFL                      $25,000

Total                                $45,000

Fiscal Year 2008-2009
Board of Trustess             $10,000
Friends WFL                     $  2,000
Wareham Reads Together  $  2,225

Total                                $14,225

Fiscal Year 2009-2010 to date (July 1-Sept. 30)
Furniture                          $ 1,009

Wareham Library Foundation Total  $60,234

Board of Trustees
Fiscal Year 2007-2008 (July 1-June 30)
Copy Machines                   $ 3,372
Subscriptions                          720
Museum Passes                     3,270
Irrigation Sys. Maint                 734
Programs                             1,945
SAILS                                    436
Furniture/Equip.                      384

Total                                 $10,861

Fiscal Year 2008-2009
Copy Machines                   $ 4,778
Subscriptions                          768
Museum Passes                    2,595
Irrigation Sys. Maint                 451
Furniture/Equip                    2,415

Total                                 $11,007

Trustee Total                     $21,868

I want everyone to see that in spite of the litigation that was going on the groups that support the library did not stop doing so.  We all care deeply for our library and will continue to work to raise money to help enhance the services it provides to Wareham.  The Town needs to also do its share.  The former trustees have agreed to dissolve the corporation that has existed since 1891 and the Foundation is giving the new Board of Trustess $50,000 to use for the library.  As Nora has said there is no money in the budget for books or supplies and there hasn't been for a couple of years.  Those of us that were the former Board of Trustees are no longer serving in that capicity, but we will continue to work with the Foundation and Friends to do whatever we can to support the Wareham Free Library.
Priscilla Porter
Former Chairman
Wareham Free Library Board of Trustees

Last edited by billw (2009-10-08 07:42:26)

#2 2009-10-07 19:31:41

Thank you.
Thank you for your service to Wareham.

#3 2009-10-07 22:02:51

Yes, thank you Priscilla and Nora. Unfortunately we have a group of leaders who make assumptions and then spin the story. If they would only get it through their thick skulls that we have wonderful citizens who have given so  much to this community, if they would get it through their thick skulls that for the most part those who serve on non profit groups or volunteer do so because they are committed to making a positive difference and if they can get it through their thick skulls that communication is the key to understanding, we would never have had any litigation.
Unfortunately we have people in leadership positions who have not been able to make good choices in their own personal life, which is why they are where they are (oweing taxes, not being able to find gainful employment, getting into trouble with the law). Successful people are successful because they know how to make good choices and good decisions.

#4 2009-10-07 22:36:58

Priscilla I Love You! Good Job!

#5 2009-10-07 22:52:21

The funny thing is for all of their whining about the library, no one from the library ever lost $1.9 million.

#6 2009-10-07 23:19:45

Maturevoter wrote:

Yes, thank you Priscilla and Nora. Unfortunately we have a group of leaders who make assumptions and then spin the story. If they would only get it through their thick skulls that we have wonderful citizens who have given so  much to this community, if they would get it through their thick skulls that for the most part those who serve on non profit groups or volunteer do so because they are committed to making a positive difference and if they can get it through their thick skulls that communication is the key to understanding, we would never have had any litigation.
Unfortunately we have people in leadership positions who have not been able to make good choices in their own personal life, which is why they are where they are (oweing taxes, not being able to find gainful employment, getting into trouble with the law). Successful people are successful because they know how to make good choices and good decisions.

You found the word.  Communication!  It is universal.  My Dad used to say you have to let the left hand know what the right hand is doing.  Communicate.  My Mother used to say the lines of communication have to be left open when raising children.  Very true.  I had a wonderful set of parents that not only taught us to communicate with others, but showed us how.

The beautiful brick building at 54 Marion Road in Wareham, is almost home to many dedicated workers.  It appears that many of them are running into road blocks when they try to complete their tasks.  I believe the domino effect is upon us as to where the blame lies.  I am so scared of what else will be uncovered when we start digging deeper.  There hasn't been any word from the District Attorny's office, that I know of.  That can't be a good sign.  While this is all going on - the audit, the ITA, the PTChief, the TM, the health insurance, the Crime Watch fiasco, the library mess, the two rats that need to be removed, the accountant that isn't one, the secret meetings and on and on - the BOS are sitting in their ivory tower seemingly oblivious to what is going on in the real world.  Are they acting?  Who, me?  I guess they really are that stupid.  I sure would like to corner Cronin and find out what has him bothered.  Probably another little sweep under the carpet.

#7 2009-10-08 07:21:30

I'm impressed by the numbers we have been given by the library people. When I was a rag reader, it seems that every week ragboy had something nasty to say about the library. To read his crap you would have thought the library folks had robbed a bank or something.

And now we learn they had been spending big dollars all along on the library--even when the bos and ragboy were spreading lies and nasty comments.  I commend those volunteers who kept on working hard and raising and spending money on our library. I'm a regular user and have donated in the past. I'm glad to see the money is being used the right way.

Personally, I don't think I would have kept supporting the library if I had been sued and regularly libeled by ragboy. So I give credit to the trustees and Friends and the Foundation. The figures above and on the other thread don't lie.

So, the town paid the legal fees for the trustees, they got to keep all but $50,000 dollars, and we, the taxpayers got to pay K and P the legal bills for the past two years? Who got screwed in this case? Once again, the taxpayers. Talk about an irresponsible action on the part of the bos. Just another reason to vote out the two clowns whose seats are up and recall the other two who took part in this case. This never should have happened.

#8 2009-10-08 07:41:03

"I'm impressed by the numbers we have been given by the library people. When I was a rag reader, it seems that every week ragboy had something nasty to say about the library. To read his crap you would have thought the library folks had robbed a bank or something."

funny you say that bruce s was quoted by slager bashing the library for playing in the stock market and losing $.. just like he bashes me for calling OCES to get other papers delivered to the M.O.W program when larry g does it and doesnt contact OCES he is a saint and im just political..

folks you CAN'T rationalize  with the unrationale.. molly thanks for being slager free since julyy 4 your and inspiration..

#9 2009-10-08 08:00:53

Thank goodness for the library organizations that have done all they can--while being sued--when the town leaders did nothing but run the library into the ground.  It is the civic heart and soul of our community.  Those responsible for the library's demise need to go.  We all need to continue to support and use the library.

#10 2009-10-08 08:21:54

Liz,
It's interesting that your brought up the stock market and losing money. I was a trustee about 15 years ago and served for 12. (I was not a trustee at the time they were dismissed.) It was during my time on the board that we made our wise investments. We hired a financial adviser with the instructions that we wanted to make as much money as we could while preserving the principal. The principal came from several bequests. Those wills were turned over to our lawyers at the beginning of the case, and some of those documents (the original check copies, etc.) were entered into evidence during the depositions. We had the wills with us during the mediation and the judge had access to them as well and used the information during mediation.

We made those investments and from the time of the original investments until the legal battle begun, the Trustees had spent $500,000, a half a million dollars on the library while preserving the principal. Of course, this can be proven. The financial records were, in fact, turned over to our lawyers at the beginning of the case and were requested by the selectmen's lawyers. Some of the documents were entered into evidence during the depositions. We were completely transparent.

At no time did we lose $250,000.  Did our accounts go down with the recent downswing? Absolutely. But during the tech boom, those accounts soared and we took advantage of the income by making major purchases for the library that was not included in the town's budget. We also donated $75,000 to the Friends for furnishing the branch library with books, materials, computers, furniture etc. It was restricted for those purposes and not to be used for the construction. Still, the principal was preserved.

All three library groups, the Trustees, Friends, and Foundation follow the law regarding reporting and filing with the state's division of charities. By law, our tax reports can be gotten through freedom of information, but because we are private non-profits, we do not have to turn our entire records over to anyone who wants to see them. And as I said, the lawyers and selectmen had our records right from the start. So when the selectmen claim we won't turn over our records, I'm offended. In fact, in their depositions, they claimed they did not read the financial records that were given to them/their lawyers. We were totally transparent. Imagine how upset we were to be accused of gambling away money, or as implied by Liz Pezzoli in the observer that the trustees might have lined their pockets with the donations we received. Very hateful and totally false. Every penny can and has been accounted for. We hired real accountants and auditors annually to handle our records and IRS and state filings. Now that the case is completely dismissed, we can provide the facts. The abuse the library and the library people sued in the legal case had to endure was unconscionable.

Last edited by Nora Bicki (2009-10-08 08:22:57)

#11 2009-10-08 08:41:52

nora, ty for the information.. its nice to hear it straight from the horses mouth so to speak..

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com