#66 2009-12-12 14:55:13

CRC Selectmen liaison "Brockton" Brenda Eckstrom's comments concerning the CRC..including (incorrectly) attempting to have a vote to appoint Mrs. Move Wareham Forward's husband to (finally) fill the open slot on the CRC..(sorry if "people" have been criticizing the fact that you've been "short" that one member from the beginning)..
Oh, and don't worry..it's a technicality..Mr. David Begley WILL be appointed just as soon as they get it on Sweet Brucey's Agenda (next Tuesday)..Oh, yes Brenda..they've been sooo forthcoming and open...Uhhm, uh, uh, umm, uh, on da cable and stuff. Please Resign..pretty please.

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-12-13 17:01:50)

#67 2009-12-13 10:27:21

Whoa everybody! Don't you realize that a Myor will have all the power we desire? Let's get behind this effort to change the form of government. We have the support of Wareham so it will be easy to dominate once again.

Take Wareham Back!

#68 2009-12-13 11:06:32

You are so correct, Just look at the cast of characters on the  CRC. They were all hand picked for there loyalty to the BOS.  They are doing what they want and not what the towns people want.  How can anyone come out and say they don't care what the people say and they will instead go to legislation just to move their own agenda.  The are working underground on a continual basis. They have had multiple illegal meetings at Edward Pacewicz house on Mckinley st. They meet all the time. And if you have met Edward Pacewicz you would know he is a replica of the BOS.

#69 2009-12-13 11:44:32

beammeup wrote:

Whoa everybody! Don't you realize that a Myor will have all the power we desire? Let's get behind this effort to change the form of government. We have the support of Wareham so it will be easy to dominate once again.

Take Wareham Back!

personally i dont like the power and the things the 5+ ITA have put us in.. i WILL NOT vote to transfer all that power to 1 person..

#70 2009-12-13 12:05:36

You would think that if we, the bloggers, were as powerful and rich as the hypocrite elete make us out to be, that we would jump at the chance for a mayor. I mean, we'd have the money to buy his special interest, wouldn't we?

No, this board is against a Mayor. And just one of those reasons would be, being 2.1 million in the hole for next year, where the he'll are you getting the money to PAY a mayor and 11 couselmen? TAXPAYERS!!!

#71 2009-12-13 12:07:16

You can bet your ass the "anti-override" selectmen will change their tunes when it comes to funding THEIR new government.

#72 2009-12-13 12:24:37

Maybe beammeup can donate some money. His business is allegedly being infused with cash by those who only visit our dimension three times per day.

#73 2009-12-13 12:34:41

I can PROVE a connection between several CRC members and the Selectmen. Not only that, there are several committee and board members that have contributed to the Selectmen's campaigns. If the allegations that this committee has been meeting in private, that would clearly be a violation of open meeting law? What we really need is citizens that want to work FOR the best interest of the citizens and not for the politically corrupt elected officials that are looking to ride this town to better themselves.

A mayor is an elected position and does not have to have a background in municipal management. This town need strong management to correct the issues that have come close to destroying this town. Stop all this talk about the CRC and focus on removing the people that appointed them. They are truly the problem.

Take Back Wareham NOW!

#74 2009-12-13 12:35:23

When someone claims our taxes belong to the "taxpayers" it is clear evidence of someone who doesn't pay their fair share (if any at all).

#75 2009-12-13 12:37:55

So what, this is a small town. We're all connected. You can do better than that...can't you?

#76 2009-12-13 16:17:25

Yeah...good work Bill.. so long beammeup.

#77 2009-12-14 18:08:15

Interesting comments (I think) by CRC Vice Chairman "Mick" Jones on Bobo's Blog last night..(thank you little birdy)..

By: mickjones on 12/13/09
If you go to the hate site they have videos of the meeting. Strangely, they seem to still think there is a shortage.

So, has Ellen Begley's (MWF) husband David been acting as an appointed committee member PRIOR to his appointment to that committee? Brockton Brenda said "ummm, uh, umm David Begley, I believe his name is" (vid clip above)..and that he had been attending "meeting's"...In addition to comments made previously suggesting "Mick" believes the DA is a corrupt Republican lackey are interesting coming from someone who has been complicit in the CRC's "abuse" of their appointments (IMO)

By: mickjones on 12/13/09
Rob, I am not ignoring you. My motivation for volunteering has been brought into question by the hate bloggers. I am reluctant to say much of anything because it will get distorted. I wanted to do something to get the town headed in a positive direction and it was clear to me that Town Meeting and a non-elected town manager are a problem. I had ideas about how to change the charter.

Mind made up before appointment?

I love April..it really is one of my favorite months..and this one will be particularly sweet...Oh, and thanks for the "plug" on my videos, Mick..glad to know your watching.
Feel free to add the link next time... ; )
http://takebackwareham86bos.blogspot.com/

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-12-14 20:57:27)

#78 2009-12-14 18:13:26

i love april also it's my daughters b-day!!

#79 2009-12-14 23:35:02

It's my grandson's birthday, my anniversary and also April is the anniversary of my Dad's passing 12 years ago and if he was here now, there would be Hell to pay with this group of unselectmen.    I am sure he will be smiling down on Wareham, the day after our next election.

#80 2009-12-15 05:44:36

P-SPAN wrote:

CRC Selectmen liaison "Brockton" Brenda Eckstrom's comments concerning the CRC..including (incorrectly) attempting to have a vote to appoint Mrs. Move Wareham Forward's husband to (finally) fill the open slot on the CRC..

I don't know Ms. MWF's husband David but I'm certain he's a stand up guy.  What does concern me is that Ms. Eckstrom proposed motioning to appoint him and I don't "recall" an introduction nor an interview.  I'm curious if he's even read the Charter.  But then again, I'm curious if any of them have read the Charter. I seem to remember from the initial interviews that a few applicants stood out as fairly well versed on the Charter and I wonder if they've been contacted to reconsider being appointed.  If not, it's simply more proof that this appointing authority has been extremely biased with who they will allow to serve.  That's disgraceful (IMO).  Talk about control.

#81 2009-12-15 08:26:51

BB said he'd been sitting in on meeting's and had been "interviewed" by the CRC (procedure??)..and as far as Mick Jones is concerned he's been on board awhile..

Brucey can't tell BB fast enough that he had "No Idea" about anything concerning anybody being appointed to anything..(It's been 9 Months!)..yep, gotta love 'em..

Ode to Sweet Brucey (when it suits him he turns into Sgt Schultz)

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-12-15 08:27:41)

#82 2009-12-16 16:01:08

Where is the Charter "REVIEW"??..At least Mr. Cruz commented on Mr. Begley "being locked in" to the idea of changing the form of Government and the need to "keep an open mind"..to which Mr. Begley states that if it gets shot down in April they'll then go through the charter "line by line"..Wasted time (and Town Meeting's) if that happens..time that could have been spent refining and, y' know "reviewing" the Charter. Any changes proposed for the current Charter would then have ONE Town Meeting in which to be proposed...and they're REAL intention if it gets shot down is to attempt to have an elected Charter Commission..they've stopped saying that..but I was told this personally by Alan Slavin after the first CRC meeting I attended.

AND..NOT ONE SELECTMAN ASKED IF HE HAD EVER READ THE CHARTER..
..why would they??

On board and with the program.

KEEPTOWNMEETING

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-12-16 16:26:17)

#83 2009-12-16 16:19:14

So basically he is saying:

I want to be on the charter review committee so I can help to get rid of the charter and get a mayor (no offense Mr. TA) to run our town.  I mean, that's the first thing out of his mouth.

Maybe he thought he was being interviewed for the No Charter Committee instead of the charter review committee. 

I thought Sleepy was going to show some spunk when he said the guy seemed to have already made up his mind and asked the candidate if he could keep an open mind. Huh? It's closed tight as a drum from the guy's first words.  Now, if Sleepy had voted no, on principal, I'd have been happy. Because let's face it, even if Sleepy voted  no, the other 4 No Charter members of the bos would have had the votes anyway.

Dare I say that once again I am disappointed in our bos?

#84 2009-12-20 14:28:29

David Smith's letter in the Rag is laughable. Let's see Mr. Smith...You decided to change the form of Government (shorthanded until last Thursday)..at the first meeting..You sat mute while EVERYONE on the CRC attempted to stop a citizen from recording an open meeting (and then said Nothing during that meeting..recordings are scary when your doing bad things)...After being scared to talk at TM, you blamed everyone at the meeting for being intimidating, speaking as a COA member (didn't you resign now from the COA?) saying that TM was BAAAAD..and you NEVER brought up that you're on the Charter Review Committee..and I use the term "Review" with a real bad taste in my mouth.

...Oh, Boy!!! you guys are going to have public meetings (you say)..that's been said for awhile..Are you really sure this time? After a year and your minds made up..sounds like input is gonna change NOTHING..

When it gets voted down in April..and you will have wasted all that time..and have ONE Town Meeting to present alterations to the current Charter (oh, right Elected Charter Commission..Plan B). Thanks for nothing..I've seen enough..

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

#85 2009-12-23 10:18:46

DIRECT FROM THE CRC NEW LETTER...

"We were mandated to review the charter and to make recommendations that we believed would further that special interest."

not once did you EVER go over our charter....

nor did you ever go over the articles from TM.. Alan lied again..

#86 2009-12-23 10:23:10

Read the quoted sentence. What the hell does that mean? Special interest?

#87 2009-12-23 11:42:07

A letter appeared in the Wareham Courier that was headed (taking a phrase from the writer), Charter Committee is a special interest group in disguise.
    Not in disguise. The letter-writer is absolutely correct that we are a special interest group - our special interest is in the well-functioning future governance of our town and, therefore, in the health of Wareham.

At least you cleared that up! Would it be safe to say that as a special interest group, you have a clear cut agenda?  If you are interested in the health of Wareham, perhaps you should first inform the voters and citizens of EXACTLY what is wrong with the current form of government? Not an overall, "it doesn't work", but more specifically, what caused the dysfunction? Attacking the symptons instead of the cause results in the cause going unchecked.

We were mandated to review the charter and to make recommendations that we believed would further that special interest. As we’ve said before, when a charter review committee votes to recommend a basic functional change in either the legislative or executive branch of the town government, the laws of the Commonwealth require that the charter be rewritten to reflect that new form of government.

I hestitate to point out that "basic" is one thing and "overhaul" is another. There is nothing basic about the changes your suggesting. We aren't discussing re-writing the charter, we are discussing the fact that you tossed out the current charter and are starting from scratch (I was there when this was said). So, please tell me again how the word basic figures in? The new form of government does not "basically" resemble what we currently have.

Although the letter-writer worries about taxpayer dollars being spent on attorney fees, the only legal expense we have surely incurred has been for the two hours spent at the beginning of our tenure to educate the committee about our responsibilities, rights, and limitations. We are checking with Koppelman and Paige as to any costs incurred by their review of the committee’s work-in-progress.

This statement boggles my mind! You claim the only legal expense incurred were at the start, but you also state that you are checking with K&P on their costs associated with the re-write of the charter. So, you have no idea how much you have spent? Which is it? You should get a new writer as you have contradicted yourself twice (so far) in this letter.

The letter-writer is mistaken in thinking that having a town council rather than a Town Meeting is an abandonment of democracy. So long as the members of the council are elected by ballot to represent the citizens, or a particular segment of the population such as a precinct, and are accountable to that group – we are still a functioning democracy.

This one is going to get you in trouble! Show me where I used the abondonment? If not, I suggest you issue a public apology. What I did say was, "Democracy, by the basic definition, is a political government that is carried out DIRECTLY by the people.  That is what Town Meeting represents, DIRECTLY by the people. " Simply put, you are removing the "voice" of citizens and allowing one person to act as a surrogate of many voices. There is a difference. If you look at our federal and state level goverment, you can see how easy it is for a citizen to lose their voice under the form of government you are suggesting.

One further comment about the complaint that the committee "disregard(s) written questions." Perhaps we have not made it clear enough that the questions we will respond to are about how the committee works, why it’s recommending something or what that recommendation entails or any of its implications, and the comments we will respond to are also about the committee’s process or the pros and cons of the different forms of government.
    We would like, once again, to refer all voters in Wareham to the town’s web site where, following the link to the Charter Review Committee, you can find a full explanation of our thinking that led to the rewriting of the charter and our response to comments and questions that have reached us. We urge you to participate by asking the questions that will help you to form an educated opinion about the recommended change.

So does that mean that Mr. Jones did not answer my questions? What you made clear was that citizens could pose questions through the website, which I did,  and you would respond. Now you are limiting the scope of the questions, which makes me wonder if you are acting in the best interest of the citizens or avoiding harder questions that deal with what's wrong with our current government. I have spoken with several people now that have asked questions and received no response, so please do NOT go out into public and state you are trying to get public opinion and open to discussion. You just stated you are not unless the questions fit into a specific area.

In the coming months, we (myself and others) will continue to push for accountability of the Charter Review Committee. We will be going to the voters and citizens and find out what they think is wrong with our current form of government (including the charter and town meeting). This is what the CRC should have done instead of deciding in the first meeting to junk our current charter and change the form of government.

SO many times you hear that government is for the people and by the people, but your actions show that democracy is the furthest thing from your mind.

Last edited by Larry McDonald (2009-12-23 11:44:11)

#88 2009-12-23 12:05:32

letter-writer? How about author of the letter?

#89 2009-12-23 14:46:46

It sounds like everyone is celebrating Festivus  in a very good way. get it out today so that the next few days will be Joyous and BoBo free. And may 2010 be the same all year long. Have a very Marry Christmas and a Happy New Year. and now on with Festivus.

#90 2009-12-23 15:21:42

Larry is the man!
The irony is that none of these members of the CRC will be able to explain their actions before any group because they are uneducated about the history of the Town of Wareham and it's government.
They will wind up being embarrassed beyond tears by the time it is over.
I will predict that many will resign.
If ignorance is bliss...there are very happy people.
Happy Holidays of all faiths and religions in the coming days.
I hope all of us have a wonderful new year and a prosperous, healthy, stable, happy year ahead.
Especially in April when you TAKE BACK WAREHAM!

#91 2009-12-23 18:16:06

Let me get this straight..The CRC wrote a letter to the Courier saying TM was bad because of "special interest" groups..Larry then wrote a letter to the Courier informing the CRC that they ARE a special interest group..and then they respond (in the Rag) by admitting they are a special interest group, but their "interest" is EXTRA special..and they will decide what's best for the Town..and if you don't like it..or they don't like what you have to say, then your opinion isn't welcome..and you can take your issues to Town Meeting floor (the last one, if they get their way)...
KEEP TOWN MEETING!!

http://www.wickedlocal.com/wareham/home … re-of-town

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-12-25 17:42:19)

#92 2010-01-20 22:10:03

By Cyrus Moulton
Jan 19, 2010
Forum: Charter Review

Every ten years, a Selectmen-appointed committee reviews the Town of Wareham Charter, the official document that grants rights of self-governance to the town. Next town meeting, The Charter Review Committee  will propose that Wareham replace open town meeting with an elected mayor and town council. It's a controversial issue - especially after the contentious town meeting this fall. To explore this proposal, we asked Charter Review Committee chairman Alan Slavin and Wareham resident Peter Baum, who applied but was not appointed to the Committee, the following questions...

WW: Q&A: Whether, why and how to change town charter

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

#93 2010-01-29 11:34:07

GateHouse News Service
Posted Jan 28, 2010 @ 10:42 AM

WAREHAM — A series of public meetings are planned to introduce Wareham voters to the Charter Review Committee’s proposed change to the form of town government. The first public meeting is scheduled to run from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 6, (snow date is Saturday, Feb. 13) at the Wareham Middle School.

The Charter Review Committee will recommend at the spring Town Meeting that Wareham opt for a town government managed by an elected town council and an elected mayor. The meeting will address what, specifically, the change would mean for the town and for them.

Courier: Charter Review Committee forums

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

#94 2010-01-29 11:47:41

Great...get your questions ready, and watch them turn into a group of nattering idiots when asked questions they can't answer or ever thought of...

#95 2010-01-30 22:15:04

File this one under "What Can Happen in a Mayoral Government"

This is what one city councilor (and others) had to say about the situation in which the City of Lawrence has to pay Mark Andrews "carry over" for fifteen weeks worth of sick time ($41,096) from his state job.

Patrick Blanchette, a city councilor for the past 10 years, said, until this week, he knew nothing about the deal made with Andrews.

"I think we would have questioned that," said Blanchette, the outgoing city council president. "Why would we accept sick time that accumulated somewhere else. We'd be on the hook for that?"

Lantigua's top aide, Lenny Degnan, said the deal is just more of the mounting evidence of financial mismanagement at City Hall during Sullivan's administration.

Sullivan's justification of the deal "is just him trying to cover his tracks on the way out," Degnan said. Nothing in the city charter allows this, he said.

Let's NOT find out what could go wrong in a "Sauvageau Administration"..or any other of our elected Assclowns. (sorry to steal your term, Ham..but it just seems to "fit")

Read the article. You'll see that having a Mayoral Government comes with it's own set of potential problems...and learn something about our current Town Administrator..

Oh, and speaking of the TA...What kind of "financial shape" is the city he just left in right now??

The city faces a $17 million budget deficit.

'Nuff Ced..

Deal gave city budget director credit for state sick time

Editorial: Sick leave outrage should prompt reform

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-01-30 23:32:55)

#96 2010-02-04 19:53:33

Steve Decosta wrote:

WAREHAM — The Wareham Charter Review Committee did more than just review the town’s home rule charter.

It decided to throw the whole, 37-page book out and start again.

The committee’s proposal to replace Wareham’s 270-year-old town meeting form of government with an elected mayor and 11-member town council...

...The committee could have gone line by line through the town’s charter, looking for ways to tweak the document, which was enacted in 1977 and has been reviewed once every decade since then. But, chairman Alan Slavin said, “When we first got together, it was pretty clear that all nine people (on the Committee) felt the charter was broken and needed to be replaced.”

“We didn’t think it was so much a problem with the personnel running the town as the way the charter was telling them to run it.” Slavin said.

ST: Wareham's Charter Review board recommends switch in form of government

First of all Alan, there wasn't even "nine" people on the Committee!! Unless you're counting Larry Gaines, who dropped out before the first meeting.

KEEP TOWN MEETING!!!

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-02-04 20:01:29)

#97 2010-02-04 20:28:45

From the same article:

"This is only a proposal,” he [Slavin] said. “We have a backup plan. If people don’t like this, we can go back through our existing charter and discuss it with everybody and ask them what isn’t working and what we could do differently. Then we could go ahead and do what we can do to fix it.”

A BACK-UP PLAN!!!!!!!! The CRC committee is charged with REVIEWING the charter, not throwing it out. The back up plan was supposed to be the initial plan!!

It's called---wait for it---the charter REVIEW committee.  That would include going "back through our existing charter".... find out "what isn't working...and do what we can do to fix it."

No ambiguity in the phrase charter REVIEW.

This violation of the charter---that a CHARTER REVIEW must be completed every decade-- was condoned by the BoS who also want to get rid of town meeting. April 6th is coming. We need a BOS that follows the charter rather than try to dismantle it to give themselves more power.

#98 2010-02-04 20:44:38

Hear, Hear Nora!

#99 2010-02-04 23:25:46

And these committee members are so proud of what they are proposing?  They were, in my opinion, hand picked by our "leaders".  It is too bad that they didn't read the name of the committee they were chosen for.  The Charter Review Committee.  Review:  looking at or looking over again; a general survey or report; a reexamination. 

Slaven has basically said that they never read the charter over, and when they first got together it was clear to all committee members that they felt the Charter was broken and needed to be replaced.  By saying this, they have admitted that they did not review the Town Charter.  This is in direct violation of Wareham's Home Rule Charter.  This committee must be shut down.  A new committee of volunteers needs to be chosen to REVIEW our Charter.  This committee did not do their job.  If there was no review, then there is nothing to bring to Town Meeting or to a ballot vote.

So, in essence, the blame goes to the Charter.  The selectmen have been doing a great job and if there are any problems it is because the Charter has held them back.

Sorry, I didn't read anything about lawsuits and plain stupidity in the charter.
I could go on and on with this list.

NO CHARTER REVIEW = NO CHANGE IN TOWN GOVERNMENT.

#100 2010-02-05 01:24:33

Well, the way I figure.."Review" was never a goal. Whether they were able to change the form of government as a Charter Review Committee via (the "special acts") as an appointed Committee versus having to go through the process of electing a Charter Commission was the key. They received information (K&P) that they could go this route (I'm still not convinced, but as Ed Paciewicz pointed out..I'm NOT a lawyer)

SPECIAL MUNICIPAL LEGISLATION: Prior to the adoption of the Home Rule Amendment, the most comprehensive changes in local government were made by means of a petition for special legislation (the “special act”). Prior to 1966, towns used the special act route to adopt “special act charters.” Towns using this route to create the selectmen-town manager form of administration included Norwood, Middleborough, Holden, Wilmington, and Danvers. This option remains available today and has been used in approximately 35 communities, including Westford, Great Barrington, Lee, Lenox, Ashburnham, Sheffield, and Yarmouth.

The procedures governing special act adoption are:
1. passage by majority vote of warrant article or resolution proposing the special legislation
2. petition to the General Court (state legislature) to enact the proposed legislation
3. approval of the petition by state House of Representatives and state Senate
4. signing by the Governor

In some instances, the petition may require that the act become effective only upon acceptance by a majority of voters at the next regular municipal election (sometimes referred to as ratification). In other instances, the act may contain a certain date when the provisions take effect, or the act may state that its provisions become effective upon passage. Municipalities can be guided by the Home Rule Amendment that defines changes in the legislative body, chief executive, or town manager as requiring the election of a charter commission, and a ballot vote on recommended changes.

Communities can also use the special act route to make more discrete changes -- e.g., combining the positions of an appointed collector and treasurer, changing an elected board or commission to an appointed one, creating a consolidated department, and adopting recall provisions.

CHANGING MASSACHUSETTS LOCAL GOVERNMENT STRUCTURE

I think it has rarely been used in this way (Special Acts/Charter Review)...which makes sense. Imagine if you had a few individuals with appointing authority who may already have either researched whether it was able to be done (or it had been "confirmed" by the community's legal counsel)..and then appointments were made in which "like-minded" individuals comprised that Committee? I guess "issues" could crop up in such a hypothetical scenario..The process of Electing a Charter Commission is more in-depth and involves input from far more citizens, etc...just saying.

Town Charter Plan B Proposal

Charter Review Committee

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-02-05 18:28:58)

#101 2010-02-08 08:34:15

"Don't divide the town over this," Silva warned. "If you think you're going to change the town government because of a few bad apples as selectmen, they're just going to run for town council."

WW: Public debates merits, wisdom of mayoral government

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
VOTE4CHANGE
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

#102 2010-02-09 09:02:49

If you haven't clicked the link above and read the article from Wareham Week, please do...and read through the comments. There are a few from Mick Jones, which he doesn't mention he's on the Charter Review (vice-chairman)..but takes a shot at me and doesn't think anyone should "tust" me because I use a screenname. Then after having no interest in hearing the thoughts of his fellow Wareham citizens, "Mick" had this to say over on the Tin Foil Hat Chat last night:

CRC Vice Chairman "Mick" Jones wrote:

By: mickjones on 2/8/10
Robert, doesn't that article on Wareham Week about the charter seem different today?

I'm here...just trying to decide whether or not to respond to the comments on the Wareham Week website again. It is under the article about the Saturday charter meeting.

They are very lengthy. (P-SPAN) starts with a bumper sticker comment to vote down the proposal for a mayor form of government. I respond and as Robert says the wolf pack attacked.

One of the important points made at the Saturday meeting is how town meeting is usually packed with town employees. They vote their interest (as to be expected) and it is unlikely that corresponds to the public interest. It made me wonder whether there were any other job situations where the employees get to vote on issues substantially impacting their own employment. I have worked for many organizations and if anyone had ever suggested the employees get a vote on business matters they would have been laughed out of the office. Just saying...

"Mick", your a partisan lackey who sees conspiracy all the way to the DA's office. (IMO) Your Committee has walked in lock step with the wishes of the Board of Selectmen and the Town Moderator (appointing authority), they wanted you to change the form of government. That's why you're doing it... and doing it without electing a Charter Commission. Your Committee is supposed to review and propose changes to the Charter..NOT BULL RUSH governmental form change. Do what your bosses tell you to Mick..Your gonna fail, and personally, I could give two shits what you or Bobo or any of the tin hatters, or your fellow lackey's on the CRC think of me..trust me, the feeling's mutual.

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
VOTE4CHANGE
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-02-09 11:34:04)

#103 2010-02-09 09:19:45

You would think that, when people couldn't even be bothered to come to their little presentation on Mayor government this weekend, that maybe that's a sign no one is interested in changing our government.  Throw out the clowns that are screwing the government up - not the government itself.

They had such a low turnout for that meeting that you could hear crickets chirping and they think they actually have support on this.  Clowns.

#104 2010-02-09 09:43:35

Anytime they begin to lose a debate, they start the "bully tactic" comments. it's a shame they won't just grow up.

#105 2010-02-09 11:28:25

Town employees' interests don't reflect the Town's interests?
HUH?
If you had to work your ass off under an incompetent administration for low wages and no thanks, and you still have to pay taxes in Wareham....why would your interests not be the same as the Town"s?
I think this guy needs to get off of the CRC and run for Selectman. Then he will be where he belongs...into the maelstrom of political anonymity.

#106 2010-02-09 15:23:41

Here's a blast from the past, comin' at ya all the way back from 2001. 

Town moderator Curly John said the following in a 2001 Standard Times Article:

"Town Meeting and Home Rule Charter are the forms of government that the citizens of Wareham have chosen," Mr. Donahue said in his campaign statement. "Although sometimes our form of self-government may seem unwieldy or time consuming, Town Meeting remains the purest form of democracy; a forum where every registered voter has the right to come forward and address their concerns."

Let me repeat that last part:

Town Meeting remains the purest form of democracy; a forum where every registered voter has the right to come forward and address their concerns."

http://archive.southcoasttoday.com/dail … 6lo038.htm

Oh what difference a few years and a chance to be Mayor makes, huh?

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2010-02-09 15:24:25)

#107 2010-02-09 17:53:46

I'm scared! Curly John agreed with me!

#108 2010-02-10 19:29:04

Peter Baum wrote:

Simply stated, the Wareham Board of Selectmen has a plan to grab power through their handpicked Charter Review Committee.  The plan starts with a proposed charter change that will be presented at town meeting in April, and it should send a chill down the spine of every Wareham resident.  If successful, this consolidation of power will take from you, the Wareham voter, the power to enact legislation and the power to control your tax dollars.

WW: Political power consolidation in Wareham

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
VOTE4CHANGE
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

#109 2010-02-10 22:46:08

here is the link to the "PROPOSED" its lengthy but an interesting read..
mick jones statements about not costing us more is crap..
not only wil the council get paid but they can get paid expenses along with the mayor...
even if someone get elected the mayor can fire them..

i could go on and on but read it for yourself!!!!

http://www.wareham.ma.us/Public_Documen … 4-000F8513

#110 2010-02-11 19:42:09

IF WE HAD A MAYOR SYSTEM   OF GOV. RITE NOW , WE WOULD HAVE NO STRONG CHIEF LAW. , WE WOULD HAVE A WESTFEILD PROJECT, THE LIBRARY WOULD BE CLOSED ,ARE TOWN EMPLOYEES WOULD BE MORE BRUTALIZED THAN THEY ARE NOW, WE  WOULD HAVE A NITROGEN LOADING SYSTEM ,PEOPLE  THAT DID NOT AGREE WITH THESE CLOWNS WOULD BE TREATED MORE RUDELY. AND DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THAT THESE CITY COUNSELERS WOULD WANT JUST 5 K A YEAR .  AND WHAT EXPERTISE  HAVE THESE CLOWNS HAVE FOR RUNNUNG GOVT , THEY WOULD WANT A TOWN ADMINSTRATOR TO BOSS A ROUND ,  MY ESTIMATE MAYOR 80K , 5 CITY COUNSELERS  50 K EACH AND A TA  95 K PLUS EXPENSES  , THAT IS A SALERY OF ABOUT 425 K, WHERE AS WE PAY ARE TA ABOUT 100K,   WHERE WOULD THIS MONEY COME FROM  ,  VOTE NO ON A MAYOR SYSTEM OF GOV,  AND VOTE THESE CLOWNS OUT,

#111 2010-02-11 19:56:55

THESE UNEMPLOYED SELECTMAN AND MODERATOR ARE JUST CHAMPING ON THE BIT TO GET A TOWN SLAREY AS  MAYOR AND COUNCILMAN , BROCTEN BRENDA  NO JOB AND DECLARED BANKRUPTCY, CRONIE  THE DIRT  THIEF WENT INTO BANKRUPTCY , BRUCIE NO JOB AND CANT PAY HIS TAXES  AND THE TOWN MODERATOR BUY THE WAY WHAT DOES HE DO FOR A LIVING SINCE HE WAS FIRED FROM COURT JOB,,,,,,,, LETS SEE INCLUDING   THE HALIFAX PERVERT, THERE ARE  3 LIVING OFF THERE WIFES  BRUCE ,HALIFAX HARLOT AND THE CRIPT KEEPERS HUSBAND , BUY THE WAY WHY WOULD YOU STAY MARRIED TO THE CRIPT KEEPER , IS IT HER LOOKS OR HER PAY CHECK THAT INTERESTS YOU.

#112 2010-02-12 10:27:05

Would someone clarify an issue in the proposed change in government.  I am struggling to understand what this revision would encompass.  Is the proposal for a mayor, town council AND two fire/water districts?  Would Wareham be the only town in which the mayor does not control the fire department?  I cannot find any mention of merging the two fire districts in the Charter Review proposal.  None of this makes any sense to me.

#113 2010-02-12 11:32:44

That's interesting, ggm...and I don't know the answer. Maybe try sending it to the CRC through the Town's website (there's a comment section..make sure and direct it to the CRC)

Good luck though. I've sent in at least two..and have never received a response..Oh, I'm sure they have their reasons for not responding to me, or others. As Mick Jones wrote on the tin foil hatchat a while ago in response to Larry (paraphrasing) We have responded..maybe you just didn't like what we had to say..

Another place to attempt to get your answer might be the upcoming forum they've planned..Saturday??

This can be expected..they will have a proposal at TM where those in attendance are expected to have a full grasp on a completely new Charter. Now, TM has voted for the occasional change to our Charter at various times..and I expect some of those modifications were contentious..and a few proposals (I'ld assume) failed..NOW, we're expected to trust a few people, appointed with a "mission", to tell us what's best for the Town. They'd have you believe they've done their "due diligence" by posting their "draft" on the Town's website and having a few public meetings (most of which offer(ed) NO public input).

The vast majority, I'ld say, of the citizens of Wareham have NEVER read the current Charter (a few CRC members too, I bet) and it's been around for A LONG TIME...Now, they want you to vote on a completely new Charter in one night..when for (I'ld bet) 99% of those attending, and voting it will be the FIRST time they will have ever seen or heard what the new Charter is all about.

The process is wrong..and all their "stories" don't change that..right, Mick?

http://www.wickedlocal.com/wareham/news … power-grab

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
VOTE4CHANGE
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-02-12 11:46:24)

#114 2010-02-12 13:44:53

Anyone who questions whether it was the wish of the BoS to have a change in the form of government should watch these and pay particular attention to the comments/question's by the BoS..Sweet Brucey, especially...It was decided..and this was 2 months BEFORE the CRC ever had their first "official" meeting.

Interviews to the Charter Review Committee

Present before the board: Lawrence Gaines

Mr. Gaines has lived in the town for the past four years and after attending two
town meetings and watching things go wrong he would like to step up to the plate.
Mr. Gaines stated that the people in the town are not filling the desires of the
Selectmen and the Town Administrator. Mr. Gaines also feels the charter is
outdated and will ask the tough questions and if he sees something wrong he
would like to work to correct it.

Present before the board: David Smith

Mr. Smith said that he followed the Charter Review Committee in Falmouth
closely for the two years and feels strongly that he would be able to put in his two
cents. Mr. Smith also stated that this committee is a very important decision
committee and fully intends to do the duration and put out the time. Mr. Smith
knows that one of the issues coming up would be the Board of Selectmen vs. a
Mayor in which people have talked to him about and he is interested in hearing
both sides.

Present before the board: Kathleen Furler

Ms. Furler has been living in the town for four years and would like to follow
how the town is run and feels is very complicated for ordinary people. Ms. Fuller
stated her background as a Jr. High School teacher helps with trying to simplify
things so that they make sense. Ms. Furler stated that she hasn’t had the chance to
look at the Charter therefore, she cannot comment on what part didn’t make
sense.

Present before the board: Edward Pacewicz

Mr. Pacewicz has been a resident of Wareham for ten years and has not missed a
town meeting. Mr. Pacewicz feels that the town meeting does not allow the town
to go forward and not voting what is the best for the town but what’s best for
them as individuals. Mr. Pacewicz would like to look at a new type of
government for the town wheather it be a mayor and councilmen or a different
formation of the board and direct involvement with a full time board. Mr.
Pacewicz feels the new charter should bring us well into the future.

Present before the board: Mary Ann Silva

Ms. Silva stated that when they had the committee ten years ago they asked her to
come forward and she was the one that put forth the Deputy Moderator. Ms. Silva
feels that she has lots of contacts with other Town Clerk’s in other communities
and being in day-to-day government she feels that changes need to be made.
Ms. Silva does not feel that Town meeting is destroying the government and feels
that it is dictated by special interest, which can be a problem because they only
represent a small minority. Ms. Silva feels we are due for a change and she has
the resources to look into other forms of government to bring to the committee to
see what is out there. Ms. Silva is exposed the charter daily and feels it does need
to be simplified.

http://www.wareham.ma.us/Public_Documen … -13-09.pdf

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
VOTE4CHANGE
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-02-13 13:44:38)

#115 2010-02-12 17:42:04

CRC Interviews 1/27/09...I don't have this meeting (yet)..but this is from the Meeting Minutes.

Present before the board: Cara Ann Winslow

Ms. Winslow works with a number of municipal governments under different charges
and would bring a wealth of knowledge about the Charter and implementing changes.
Ms. Winslow thinks it’s important that a complete and responsible review of the charter
be done with this committee and she has read the charget and some things need to be
clarified. One issue that comes up most is to clarify the day-to-day operations.

Present before the board: Peter Baum

Mr. Baum stated that he noticed problems with the Charter when the question of whom
is suppose to submit the budget the Finance Committee or the Board of Selectmen. Mr.
Baum stated that before making any changes he would like to ask the people involved
such as the Town Administrator, Board of Selectmen and the Department Heads. Some
of the weakness in the charter would be organization of the charter along with the use
of proper grammar and punctuation.

Present before the board: Alan Slavin

Mr. Slavin stated that over the last three years he feels town meeting has gone in the
wrong direction. Mr. Slavin said the charter has areas of gray, which leads to problems
on how things work function wise. The town charter needs to be modified and some
drastic changes will need to be made.

Present before the board: Patricia Rumney

Ms. Rumney said she has the time and likes to volunteer and thinks it’s important. Ms.
Rumney does not have an agenda for the charter and would like to look at things such
as the date of the submission of the budget by the Town Administrator and possibly
change the Town Meeting to be held on a Saturday. Ms. Rumney would also like to
possibly see about having an in town counsel.

Present before the board: Leie Carmody

Ms. Carmody said she was stunned when she went to her first town meeting and
thought that the town was dysfunctional. Ms. Carmody feels it’s time to change the
way the town is governed. Ms. Carmody would like to take the burden off the
Selectmen and help reduce some of the anger when a decision is made that people don’t like.

http://www.wareham.ma.us/Public_Documen … -27-09.pdf

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
VOTE4CHANGE
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-02-13 13:46:42)

#116 2010-02-12 18:45:09

CRC Interviews 2/5/09

Present before the board: Linwood Gay

Mr. Gay said that that he would like to get involved in the town and has an interest in
local Government. Mr. Gay feels some people haven’t followed the Charter and one
problem he does see is that if someone is not contributing in a positive manner it’s
difficult to get him or her off the committee.

Present before the board: Jack Kent

Mr. Kent stated that he has read the Charter and finds it dry and confusing and would
like to join in and make a difference. Mr. Kent stated that he would like to see the
Charter as an easy reference.

Present before the board: John Houton

Mr. Houton stated that he was asked by a registered voter in town to apply to be on the
Charter Review Committee. Mr. Houton does not have a particular issue on how the
Charter is drafted and does come with an open mind. Mr. Houton does have a great
deal of respect for public service and feels it’s a very important facet in life.

Present before the board: Mick Jones

Mr. Jones has been attending Town Meetings and finds it dysfunctional and considers
himself a problem solver. Mr. Jones said the current form of Government makes
change so difficult and we may require more of a city type government due to the size
of the town. Mr. Jones feels the Charter is antiquated and broken and needs to be fixed.

http://www.wareham.ma.us/Public_Documen … 2-5-09.pdf

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
VOTE4CHANGE
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-02-13 13:48:50)

#117 2010-02-12 19:59:38

P-SPAN wrote:

CRC Interviews 1/27/09...I don't have this meeting (yet)..but this is from the Meeting Minutes.

Ms. Winslow works with a number of municipal governments under different charges
and would bring a wealth of knowledge about the Charter and implementing changes.
Ms. Winslow thinks it’s important that a complete and responsible review of the charter
be done with this committee and she has read the charget and some things need to be
clarified. One issue that comes up most is to clarify the day-to-day operations.

Mr. Baum stated that he noticed problems with the Charter when the question of whom
is suppose to submit the budget the Finance Committee or the Board of Selectmen. Mr.
Baum stated that before making any changes he would like to ask the people involved
such as the Town Administrator, Board of Selectmen and the Department Heads. Some
of the weakness in the charter would be organization of the charter along with the use

Mr. Slavin stated that over the last three years he feels town meeting has gone in the
wrong direction. Mr. Slavin said the charter has areas of gray, which leads to problems
on how things work function wise. The town charter needs to be modified and some

Ms. Rumney said she has the time and likes to volunteer and thinks it’s important. Ms.
Rumney does not have an agenda for the charter and would like to look at things such
as the date of the submission of the budget by the Town Administrator and possibly

thought that the town was dysfunctional. Ms. Carmody feels it’s time to change the
Selectmen and help reduce some of the anger when a decision is made that people don’t like.

Want to guess which were appointed? :) Just popped on for a minute.

#118 2010-02-12 21:46:12

CRC Interviews 2/10/09

Present before the board: Mel Lazarus

Mr. Lazarus feels the citizens should be aware of what the Charter is what it does and
how it governors us. Mr. Lazarus is interested in both the town and in the academic
charter itself. Mr. Lazarus feels that parts of the charter should be amended but does
not feel that the Charter itself is outdated.

http://www.wareham.ma.us/Public_Documen … -10-09.pdf

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
VOTE4CHANGE
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-02-13 13:38:09)

#119 2010-02-12 23:20:20

CRC Appointments 2/17/09

Appointments: Charter Review Committee

Selectman Eckstrom recommend having nine (9) members to the Charter Review
Committee. Selectman Donahue recommended having two (2) alternates.

MOTION: Selectman Eckstrom moved the Charter Review Committee have nine
(9) voting members. Selectman Donahue seconded.
VOTE: 5-0-0 (Unanimous)

MOTION: Selectman Donahue moved to add one (1) member of the Board of
Selectmen, one (1) member of the Finance Committee and the Town Administrator as
adhoc members. Selectman Eckstrom seconded.

MOTION: Selectman Donahue moved to appoint Mary Ann Silva as a member to
the Charter Review Committee. Selectman Cronan seconded.

MOTION: Selectman Sauvageau moved to appoint Leie Carmodey as a member
to the Charter Review Committee. Selectman Donahue seconded.

MOTION: Selectman Eckstrom moved to appoint Linwood Gay as a member to
the Charter Review Committee. Selectman Sauvageau seconded.

MOTION: Selectman Cronan moved to appoint Michael Jones as a member to the
Charter Review Committee. Selectman Sauvageau seconded.

MOTION: Selectman Potter moved to appoint Edward Pacewicz as a member to
the Charter Review Committee. Selectman Sauvageau seconded.

MOTION: Selectman Sauvageau moved to appoint Lawrence Gaines as a
member to the Charter Review Committee. Selectman Eckstrom seconded.

MOTION: Selectman Donahue moved to appoint John Houton as a member to the
Charter Review Committee. Selectman Cronan seconded.

MOTION: Selectman Sauvageau moved to appoint Alan Salvin as a member to
the Charter Review Committee. Selectman Eckstrom seconded.

MOTION: Selectman Donahue moved to appoint David Smith as a member to the
Charter Review Committee. Selectman Cronan seconded.

MOTION: Selectman Doanhue moved to keep the remaining applicants on file in
case alternates are needed. Selectman Eckstrom seconded.

MOTION: Selectman Sauvageau moved the nine (9) members of the Charter
Review Committee to be Leie Carmody, Lawrence Gaines, Linwood Gay, John
Houton, Esq., Michael Jones, Edward Pacewicz, Alan Slavin and Mary Ann Silva and
David Smith

MOTION: Selectman Sauvageau moved to have Selectman Eckstrom as the
alternate Board of Selectmen member to the Charter Review Committee

http://www.wareham.ma.us/Public_Documen … -17-09.pdf

*David Begley was appointed to the CRC on 12/15/09 (see above). Larry Gaines dropped out before the first meeting (3/12/09)..they were "short-handed" for over nine months.

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
VOTE4CHANGE
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-02-13 13:54:18)

#120 2010-02-14 12:06:39

Peter Baum wrote:

In Part 1 of this article, I explained how the Wareham Board of Selectmen has a plan to grab power in April through their handpicked Charter Review Committee.  If successful, this consolidation of power will take from you, the Wareham voter, the power to enact legislation and the power to control your tax dollars.  The proposed charter change will limit information, limit debate, and place all real power in the hands of just a few individuals.  In this installment, I will describe how these tools of power - the ability to control information, limit debate, and place power in the hands of a few individuals - is reflected in the actions of the Charter Review Committee as they went about the task of deciding how to "review" the current charter.

WW: Why You Should Fear Political Power Consolidation in Wareham - Part 2 of 6

*Note..The unofficial spokesperson for the CRC, Mick Jones, comments are "interesting"..he wants us to forget that the process has been flawed from the beginning, and just accept the "situation"..just like Brockton Brenda thinks it doesn't matter that the process of choosing a TA was flawed (14 Open Mtg. Law violations)..and it's yet to be seen whether Andrews is a competent TA..and the process of administering the Health Trust Fund (hey, there's a surplus..don't worry about the fact that we screwed it up from the beginning)..The citizens/voters NEED to send a message April 6th and at the Spring TM, that it DOES matter to us and that rules, and laws, are there for a reason. ACCOUNTABILITY!! The ends don't always justify the means.

KEEP TOWN MEETING                                  VOTEAPRIL6                                       VOTE4CHANGE

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
VOTE4CHANGE
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

#121 2010-02-14 17:22:12

What always makes me laugh is that the BOS and CRC think that the special interests control town meeting and its only a small portion of the population.....BUT

Somehow 12 people make decisions for the Town (under the CRC plan) is better than 400+ (at Town Meeting)? 

Explain that one CRC

#122 2010-02-14 17:24:13

Oh and people aren't as dumb as you think CRC....

Of course EVERY member you invited is going to support your plan, why would you invite anyone that didn't support it?  Duh!

If you truly wanted the public to have both sides of the story you would have invited opposing speakers.... but you didn't.... and that says it all!

#123 2010-02-14 17:27:17

It was such a "staged for tv event" and no one can convince me there wasn't another violation of the public meeting law on this one. This was the most rehearsed farce they ever did.

#124 2010-02-18 17:33:31

Peter Baum wrote:

In the first two parts of this article I explained how the Wareham Board of Selectmen has a plan to grab power in April through their handpicked Charter Review Committee.  If successful, this consolidation of power will take from you, the Wareham voter, the power to enact legislation and the power to control your tax dollars.  The proposed charter change will limit information, limit debate, and place all real power in the hands of just a few individuals.  In this installment I will describe how another source of useful information was ignored by the Charter Review Committee.

WW: Why You Should Fear Political Power Consolidation in Wareham - Part 3 of 6

KEEP TOWN MEETING                                  VOTEAPRIL6                                       VOTE4CHANGE

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
VOTE4CHANGE
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

#125 2010-02-18 19:12:10

christopher gay seemed to have a lot to say, attacking Larry & P-Span.

is he related to a member of the CRC?

Speaking of Linwood Gay, several people have raised the question as to whether the Onset fire district and/or the Wareham fire district would be affected by some of the changes being discussed. does having an employee of the Onset fire district on the CRC tell you anything?

jes wundrin'

VOTE4CHANGE

APRIL 6, 2010

ENUF' IS ENUF' !

#126 2010-02-18 19:34:53

Nota,
I guess so much for civil discourse?

#127 2010-02-18 21:15:29

Charter Proposal v21: AN ACT ESTABLISHING A MAYOR/TOWN COUNCIL FOR THE TOWN OF WAREHAM

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
VOTE4CHANGE
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

#128 2010-02-18 22:34:25

What a crock of crap!!!

#129 2010-02-19 19:12:09

These were "broken" (Did you notice?) Anyway, they're fixed..there are ten of them (3/12/09 - 8/27/09)..I haven't "gotten around" to doing the rest..and not sure I will. Considering the decision to be made in April, they're worth a listen..unless you prefer reading, there's a link to that too.

Animated CRC Minutes

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
VOTE4CHANGE
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

#130 2010-02-20 22:03:02

CRC Interviews 1/27/09

P-SPAN wrote:

http://www.wareham.ma.us/Public_Documen … -27-09.pdf

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
VOTE4CHANGE
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com