#1 2009-09-17 10:35:49

this is a statement mad in a story by slager:
"After securing the services of former Brockton mayor John Yunits (a well-respected litigator prior to his political career) to serve as special town counsel in the computer audit controversy, selectmen voted to enact a series of new policies on Tuesday night designed to attack alleged corruption in Wareham head on."

the town has K&P already....now the bos have hired another lawyer....

#2 2009-09-17 10:57:48

Does anyone see the money flying out our pockets at a quicker pace? More expenses..sigh

What concerns me is why do did they see the need to hire special counsel? Could they realize they are in trouble?

People, we are paying for their blunders and in this case, we are paying extra for their blunders!

#3 2009-09-17 11:13:32

Larry McDonald wrote:

why do did they see the need to hire special counsel? Could they realize they are in trouble?

People, we are paying for their blunders and in this case, we are paying extra for their blunders!

Because Bobo the Brucey Dupe was babbling nonsense to himself about some Shooter dude. Number 2 lackey needed asap.

365K, so far! Assholes!

PShooter

#4 2009-09-17 12:26:19

The Board of Selectmen have been using Steve Torres as Special Counsel for several months.  Steve Torres is the City Solicitor for the city of Taunton. He has handled the ligitation for both of the Bliss hearings.
If they have hired Yunits, then why was this hiring of another lawyer not put out to bid? Certainly they are paying more than $10,000 and wouldn't that require an RFP to follow procurement laws?

#5 2009-09-17 13:18:41

AND ON ANOTHER NOTE THE TOWN HAS TO CUT ANOTHER 600,000 DOLLARS BUT WE HAVE THE MONEY TO HIRE A SPECIAL COUNSEL. OH MY HEAD. OH SLAGER YOU CAN THANK ME SINCE YOU FIXED YOUR LAST MISTAKE ABOUT "WARGAMES" YES THE GAME WAS GLOBALTHERMALNUCLEAR WAR. GOOD TO SEE YOUR READING ME POSTS.

#6 2009-09-17 13:37:56

IHATESLAGER wrote:

AND ON ANOTHER NOTE THE TOWN HAS TO CUT ANOTHER 600,000 DOLLARS BUT WE HAVE THE MONEY TO HIRE A SPECIAL COUNSEL. OH MY HEAD. OH SLAGER YOU CAN THANK ME SINCE YOU FIXED YOUR LAST MISTAKE ABOUT "WARGAMES" YES THE GAME WAS GLOBALTHERMALNUCLEAR WAR. GOOD TO SEE YOUR READING ME POSTS.

he also changed paul shooters mispelled word that appeared several times from hamm to ham...

#7 2009-09-17 13:40:58

Maturevoter wrote:

The Board of Selectmen have been using Steve Torres as Special Counsel for several months.  Steve Torres is the City Solicitor for the city of Taunton. He has handled the ligitation for both of the Bliss hearings.
If they have hired Yunits, then why was this hiring of another lawyer not put out to bid? Certainly they are paying more than $10,000 and wouldn't that require an RFP to follow procurement laws?

i thought technically yes they did but..  we have k&p, torres, and now yunits.. but no life guards or hiring back of the 5 mm men back......

#8 2009-09-18 02:28:28

Larry McDonald wrote:

Does anyone see the money flying out our pockets at a quicker pace? More expenses..sigh

What concerns me is why do did they see the need to hire special counsel? Could they realize they are in trouble?

I'm wondering if K&P have told them that they are making fools of themselves with their actions and are going to have more legal problems due to their actions.  I can't see them listening to advice given to them by K&P, so if you don't like what one attorney says, get a different one.

#9 2009-09-18 08:30:43

I agree with you Born! Not only are they most likely ignoring K&P's advice, they brought in a person that will also do the PR work! The funny part is his statement to the press is far different than the article Slager wrote about the Selectmen being cleared. If their goal is to confuse the citizens, they are doing a bang up job.

#10 2009-09-18 08:49:20

The funny part is his statement to the press is far different than the article Slager wrote about the Selectmen being cleared

Larry, do you have a direct link to that statement?

Thanks!

#11 2009-09-18 08:50:37

K and P was involved in the original audit. They must have told the bos it was ok to do and they were present during some of the copying of hard drives, such as at the police department. If there are questions now about any of that from the DA's office, K and P are most likely staying out of it now. They could be called as witnesses, I would imagine. They could be playing it safe by staying out of the mess now. Just a thought.

Either way, we are paying for more attorneys to do the town's work. This could have been avoided if the town had installed what every other work place has for a few thousand dollars. It is a system that allows employers to check on individual computers and their use. Instead, we are saddled with even more bills because copying every hard drive has been a huge waste of our tax dollars. Surely the bos did not expect "corruption" from every employee in town. What a waste of time and money.

I am more concerned with the attorney they hired--Yunits. His reputation is not exactly great if you read the articles about him. What are his qualifications to do the town's work? How was he hired? Just the fact that he is from Brockton raises the idea that he was hired because he was a friend of a friend of somebody or something along those lines. I'm sure there are plenty of attorneys who have good reputations that work for towns. Why hire someone who has a bad reputation? Money spent on all these lawyers could be spent on important budget items that serve all of the citizens of town.

I have no faith in the ability of this bos to hire anyone to work for the town. Recent choices have proven that they are not qualified to hire important positions such as the police chief, the town administrator, the library director, the town planner and any other position that needs to be filled.

#12 2009-09-18 16:17:34

I bet that there are attorneys in Wareham that would be happy to do work either pro-bono or at reduced rates.
You know, citizens of Wareham.
Would someone like to tell me that Billy Decas or Mr. Kiernan are unqualified to help out their own Town.
Probably, they would say don't be ridiculous for some of the things the BOS are trying to pull.
Where is the can of Raid?
Too many cockroaches crawling around.

#13 2009-09-18 17:07:35

bornofwareham wrote:

Larry McDonald wrote:

I'm wondering if K&P have told them that they are making fools of themselves with their actions and are going to have more legal problems due to their actions.  I can't see them listening to advice given to them by K&P, so if you don't like what one attorney says, get a different one.

Bruce is hoping that Yunitz will display his political pull.  Born in 1952 and Mayor of Brockton for ten years Yunitz  probably has a friendly relationship with Cruz (DA) considering all the crime etc. coming out of Brockton.  His hourly rate has to be way up there!  Wareham is getting very cozy with its Sister City.

#14 2009-09-18 17:11:13

danoconnell wrote:

I bet that there are attorneys in Wareham that would be happy to do work either pro-bono or at reduced rates.
Would someone like to tell me that Billy Decas or Mr. Kiernan are unqualified to help out their own Town.
Probably, they would say don't be ridiculous for some of the things the BOS are trying to pull.

The local Attorneys are too smart to get involved with the local criminals.  People know where they live.

#15 2009-09-18 17:26:02

I know Billy Decas. I grew up with him and went to school with him. He isn't afraid of ANYONE.
Mr. Kiernan's dad was a very good friend. I am sure, if he is Llike Bob Kiernan, his father, he isn't afraid of ANYONE.
Especially punks and cockroaches.

#16 2009-09-18 17:56:02

danoconnell wrote:

in the town of wareham by-laws is states town counsel should be from the town...just a recommendation though..

#17 2009-09-18 18:18:52

As a Selectman I wouldn't even consider hiring a Town Council for the Town unless they were residents.
No more than I would have for a Chief of Police.

#18 2009-09-18 20:40:37

danoconnell wrote:

As a Selectman I wouldn't even consider hiring a Town Council for the Town unless they were residents.

You go Dan!    Keep the money and business in town!   

People - just think about this for a moment.    Lt. Wallace was not chosen to be our next Police Chief.  Since the moment Chief Joyce left, the job was given to Wallace until a new chief could be found.    Since then, PTC Stanley was hired.  How much $ are we paying this man.  I haven't found anyone that knows.  He's been working about 20 or so hours a week.   How much of his
salary is spent in Wareham?  Does anyone have access to the fuel log for the chief's car.  I wonder what that adds up to, just the traveling back and forth to North Andover.  Let's see now, Lt. Wallace lives maybe three miles from the station.  Sounds like I'm grasping at straws, picking out the piddily things, but in reality it's the little things that we think are nothing that add up to a whole lot.  How about the new chief uniforms?  Right, we paid for those.
How ever much this adds up to, we could be putting it towards our legal
expenses.      Uncalled for, I know. 

As an adult, who probably was paid today, write down every single thing you purchase for one week.  A pack of gum, candy bar, coffee, gas, a bottle of water, a meal and tip, school lunch money, a scratch ticket, a birthday card, bread, milk, newspaper, magazine, etc.  You will be amazed at what you have spent and what you have left to pay monthly bills.   Have I lost your attention yet?  Hope not.  Go back and read this again.  "It's the little things that we think are nothing that add up to a whole lot."

#19 2009-09-18 21:09:49

danoconnell wrote:

ARTICLE 5
To see if the Town will vote to revoke its acceptance of the provisions of G.L. c. 31, as voted under Article 52 of the March 7, 1938 Annual Town Meeting, and thus remove from civil service the position of Chief of Police of the Wareham Police Department; provided, however, that this revocation shall not impair the civil service status of any incumbent presently holding the position of permanent Chief of Police, or take any other action relative thereto.

Any other questions as to why we have an interim Police Chief?

PShooter

#20 2009-09-18 21:31:48

PShooter wrote:

danoconnell wrote:

ARTICLE 5
To see if the Town will vote to revoke its acceptance of the provisions of G.L. c. 31, as voted under Article 52 of the March 7, 1938 Annual Town Meeting, and thus remove from civil service the position of Chief of Police of the Wareham Police Department; provided, however, that this revocation shall not impair the civil service status of any incumbent presently holding the position of permanent Chief of Police, or take any other action relative thereto.

Any other questions as to why we have an interim Police Chief?

PShooter

Confused again.  So the BOS & ITA want civil service status for the Chief's position removed.  But it also says that they could hire someone with the civil service status in place and no action would be taken to remove their status. As an example, our PTC has c.s. status in N. Andover, so he could continue to work here and not lose his cs status.       I was told yesterday - "Make no mistake, Stanley IS a full time chief."  I guess it makes a little more sense.  Help!

#21 2009-09-18 21:42:39

bornofwareham wrote:

I was told yesterday - "Make no mistake, Stanley IS a full time chief."  I guess it makes a little more sense.  Help!

At the beginning of 8/18 BOS Mtg., Sweet Brucey and the Chief both refer to him as "interim".

PShooter

#22 2009-09-18 21:50:56

I'm sure the town copied language from a similar proposal made in another city or town.

So the proposal basically states, if you choose to take the Chief out of Civil Service, and the current Chief is permanent Civil Service....

Then the action of taking the position out of Civil Service would begin after that Chief retires or leaves.

Wareham has an "Interim" Chief right now!  If the article passes, they will put in the non-civil service guy as soon as the hiring process is complete.

#23 2009-09-18 22:27:29

common is absolutely right. It is an end run to remove the Chief's position from Civil Service by hiring an interim Chief. He will not be the permanent Chief if this article passes. They will hire a non-Civil Service Chief to circumvent the past several decades of Civil Service Chiefs.
You need to make sure the cops and their families turn out for Town Meeting to fight this. It is very difficult for the people of the Town Meeting to deny the cops their request to protect the position and their jobs.

#24 2009-09-18 22:47:15

danoconnell wrote:

It is an end run to remove the Chief's position from Civil Service by hiring an interim Chief.

I'm willing to bet that the Interim Chief had the situation explained to him while interviewing for the position. You know, the five minute phone conversation that nailed down the job.

PShooter

#25 2009-09-18 22:54:20

acasualobserver wrote:

The funny part is his statement to the press is far different than the article Slager wrote about the Selectmen being cleared

Larry, do you have a direct link to that statement?

Thanks!

Cas,
I was commenting on the statement Yunits made, he certainly didn't dismiss the possiblity that the Selectmen were still under investigation, which contradicts what Bruce told Bobo and the headline of the article he wrote, "Selectmen cleared by DA".

#26 2009-09-18 22:56:30

Dan,
We are certainly working in that direction :) I believe there is an additional campaign to support neighborhood meetings.

#27 2009-09-18 23:09:29

danoconnell wrote:

common is absolutely right. It is an end run to remove the Chief's position from Civil Service by hiring an interim Chief. He will not be the permanent Chief if this article passes. They will hire a non-Civil Service Chief to circumvent the past several decades of Civil Service Chiefs.
You need to make sure the cops and their families turn out for Town Meeting to fight this. It is very difficult for the people of the Town Meeting to deny the cops their request to protect the position and their jobs.

Thank you every one.  Some of the cops live out of town and have been asking me to round up people.  I'm trying my best.

So what I have thought all along is probably true.  The BOS have their person picked already to become chief.  When I met the PTC I asked him how long he would be here.  He said two months to a year, whatever it takes to make some changes to go in the right direction. (Whatever that means).  If this passes in town meeting, it seems that the BOS & ITA would get their person in before the April election.

#28 2009-09-19 09:54:33

Born,
That is the goal. We will have meetings and and make sure people are up to speed on this issue. The main issue, in my opinion, it if they are allowed to remove the chief position from civil service, they have effectively removed the autority of the police chief and a level of autonomy that I think is necessary to run the department.

Under civil service, the Chief controls his budgets and makes financial and personnel decisions. If it is removed, he is at the mercy of the Selectmen. Who knows better what the department needs? Is it the Chief or the Selectmen? If you consider some of the comments Bruce has made about the PD, that's an easy question. His disdain for the PD isn't a secret. DO we really want him making choices on personnel and budget expenditures for the PD? It makes better sense to have a Police Chief that has experience and is familiar with Wareham.

#29 2009-09-19 10:06:58

I totally agree that the chief should have autonomy from the control of the selectmen. If our selectmen were not so anti-police department--just listen to the many nasty comments that have been made publicly by the bos--then perhaps there would be a good working relationship between the police and the bos.

It has been that way in the past. But now there is too much antagonism between the bos and the police department. We need a police department, but we don't need this particular bos. We need a strong bos that can work well with all departments and not participate in witch hunts, firings of competent personnel for personal vendettas, fiscal irresponsibly, a lack of transparency, a huge lack of civility and on and on.

We need to make a major change in April by changing this board of selectmen and the town moderator.

#30 2009-09-19 11:22:44

Did anybody else see this article on Boston.com article?  After Mr. Yunits left the mayor's office in Brockton, he took the position of president of the Brockton Rox independent league baseball team.  This in and of itself spurred some controversy around the $600k debt that the Rox had to the city which Yunits forgave, but he is also apparently in the process of running the Rox into the ground.  Yes, times are tough, but that should be a boon for a team like the Rox - tickets are $5 according to the article, making it among the least expensive form of entertainment around.  The article talks about debts spiraling out of control, and basically being completely unprepared for the economic downturn.  I sure am glad this is the person that the BOS reached out to for further counsel!!!

#31 2009-09-20 10:16:54

My apology for misspelling Mr. Yunits' name.  The reasons why Brockton is a depressed city are numerous -Political corruption is #1.  We need to start a new list.  The History for the past 75 years displays a once stable community with shoe factories  - known in its heyday as "The Shoe City"- where immigrants were welcomed with open arms.  Beautiful parks were free.  Brockton represented the land of opportunity.When the shoe industry went South there was no Plan "B". 

When Boston redeveloped the cheap housing attracted the poor and out-of-work.  It never got better.  Any money or development opportunities went into the corrupt system. Brockton was bypassed when all new road construction skirted around the mess created by over-building. The City leaders were busy doing other things - not watching the store - busy working out of the back door. There is still no East-West route through or around the City. 

It was common knowledge that $5000 could buy you a favor from City Council.  The public schools went to he##.  The lawyers and Big Business were drinking buddies. Presently the City has no way out. A WELFARE city forever  - with a huge new Courthouse to handle the crime. 

In Massachusetts, there is money to be made from poverty - State grants and ripping off the desperate. The Wareham beaches were a sactuary for the Brockton workers and business people - mostly good people.
When the more fortunate went to the Cape the summer colonies deteriorated, but the problems  and attitudes stayed. 

Bruce Sauvageu, nine years ago, as a member of the Finance Committee, in responding to the question: Why is real estate so cheap?  has been quoted as saying "They think poor".   Is it too late for Wareham?

With all the natural resources, waterfront land, central location, highwqys, and history, Wareham does not have to fail to become a fiscally responsible Town - a great place to live and work and do business!  The only thing missing from Wareham is good leadership. No! GREAT leadership - qualified, honest, motivated...people who love their Town.  Our Founding Fathers and Mothers gave us the opportunity and direction.  It is up to the voters to make their voices and votes count! Take back Wareham.

Last edited by waterview (2009-09-28 11:53:26)

#32 2009-09-20 10:34:17

waterview thank you for those great words...

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com