#1 2009-09-12 08:11:31

This is a must read. So those boycotting The Wareham Observer need to put aside the boycott and read the latest Robert Slager editorial where he tells us he put his information on a disk and sent it to someone with instructions to post the contents if he (apparently) gets murdered to shut him up and how  he "will go to jail before I will endanger the life of somebody brave enough to tell this newspaper the truth."

He also says someone offered to buy his paper for $100,000, which I assume is to suggest they wanted to prevent him from revealing information that could send them to prison.

He says that if he publishes what he knows about  "criminal activities on the part of former town officials and former and current town employees, as well as other prominent individuals in this community and beyond" he expects to be called before the grand jury (and will refuse to reveal his sources).

Based on this editorial it would surprise me if this doesn't prompt the District Attorney to call him before the grand jury now. After all he just admitted he has highly relevant information.

He accused the so-called hatebloggers on this site  to get him  "out of the way so the sins of the past will never see the light of day".

If Slager proves to be  right, he'll have major "I told you so" rights and will be the Woodward-Bernstein of Wareham.

If he's wrong he'd be lucky to sell his paper for 100,000 pesos.

Ongoing edit was to get this posted ASAP

Last edited by urneighbor (2009-09-12 08:26:53)

#2 2009-09-12 08:29:18

he has bashed everyone who is left for his to write about in this town???

#3 2009-09-12 09:13:37

I said this in an earlier thread, Slager is pushing the DA's buttons to get him to call Slager to testify. It is there that he will make his last stand for his paper. He is already in debt for printing and his circulation is slowly ebbing. He wants to be able to blame someone the demise of his newspaper. This is what happens when you have a nut job who is losing everything because he forgot how to report the truth.

I'll write more next week. Frankly, let him play his game, enjoy the weekend. This guy needs a long vacation in a padded cell.

#4 2009-09-12 09:18:39

Only Slager would write a blog post titled "Revealing the Computer Audit End Game" and......not reveal the computer audit end game.  This is just another example of sensationalistic shock journalism designed to push page views and copies of the print version of his blog.  Rep. Gifford was right on the money with that comment.  Don't have much time at the moment, but here are some choice quotes from the article, and comments on the ridiculousness:

One of the most difficult aspects of being a journalist is deciding how to balance your professional objectives while still remaining a responsible human being.

Well, based on the level of irresponsibility of the things he's been writing lately, I guess we all know which side of the scale he came down on here....

That informational was attained...

I'm sure he'll change this because of a "call" from a "reader", and not b/c I pointed it out, but there's two typos within 4 words here.  Should be "information" and "obtained" - "attain" is to achieve something, "obtain" is to come into possession of something.  So unless he achieved the information....

I was prepared to publish what I know a few months ago, despite the potentially dangerous ramifications that would have had on own life.

HEY EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME!  I WANT TO BE IMPORTANT!  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I WANT TO MAKE MYSELF PART OF THE NEWS AGAIN SO HERE I AM WRITING A STORY ABOUT MYSELF, EVEN THOUGH THE TITLE LEADS ONE TO BELIEVE IT'S ABOUT THE COMPUTER AUDIT!!!!!

But I decided not to print anything that would have tipped off the targets of the computer audit. If I had, they might have destroyed the evidence.

So he's had the article for months, but didn't print it because the targets of the audit might have destroyed evidence?  Even though for the majority of that time Slager thought that the evidence was under the control of the BOS/ITA, and they would be the only people able to destroy it?  Does anybody have a count of the number of threats/claims Slager makes in a typical week that he doesn't back up?  This is tantamount to saying "I know something you don't know!" then running behind a tree when someone challenges you about it.  Or, looked at another way, the monkey's throwing poo again.

This audit was never simply about exposing the hate bloggers. That may have been the legal justification for launching the audit, but it was never the actual reason behind it.

So the legal justification for launching the audit was to find the bloggers.  It's good that we finally have this in print.  The Board launched this audit, and the reason they gave for doing so was to find the bloggers.  Thanks Mr. Slager for making this clear.  And let's also point out, while we're at it, that the $40k that this has cost the town so far has been without any review of the contents of the drives.  The easy part of an investigation like this is pulling the data.  The time consuming part is reviewing it all.  The town has laid out $40,000 already, and the DA seized the drives before any review was done.  I'd be shocked if this came in under $150,000, assuming GDF does full reviews of all the drives.

First I learned that the District Attorney’s office issued its own administrative subpoena

...which they are legally and ethically allowed to do, and often do in situations where speed is required, such as if they had concerns that evidence might be destroyed.  It's amazingly hypocritical that Slager makes veiled accusations that town employees might destroy data, while completely glossing over the fact that the BOS/ITA would.  Ridiculous.

I have long understood that the coordinated attack against the current town administration, as well as this newspaper, has been intended to stop the exposure of alleged criminal activities on the part of former town officials and former and current town employees, as well as other prominent individuals in this community and beyond. That has been the motivation of most of the anonymous hate bloggers

It's all I can do not to laugh at how ridiculous this statement is. 

The difficult part for me is to know when to print this story

It really shouldn't be that difficult.  Your concern was that evidence would be destroyed by the targets of the investigation if you printed it.  Well, that concern is out the window.  So publish your story, Robbie.  Go ahead and do it.  It's put up or shut up time.  You've been making bullcrap claims like this for months, if not years.  It's time to put your money where your mouth is.  Show us those "stones" that "shooter" has seen.  And if not, then shut the hell up about it, because you're full of crap.

...and how to e-mail it to thousands of people...

Great, I can't wait to get spammed by this guy.  Does anybody else find it thoroughly amusing that he's basically saying "I know that I don't get enough traffic on my website to matter, so I'm going to email the article to several thousand people as well"?  I'll be honest, I'm chuckling.

I realize that once this story is printed I will likely be called before a grand jury

More "mememememe" journalism.  He says he's not about the glory, but this whole article is basically about how great of a journalist he is.  It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

If a judge rules me in contempt, so be it.

It's funny that he says this after he said something to the effect of "I almost would have preferred to get arrested" at Bob's meeting" (I have the exact quote somewhere, but that's the basic idea behind it).  He's trying to keep up his inflated sense of self-importance any way he can.  It's kind of pathetic.

At that point the District Attorney’s office will have no choice by to investigate the allegations made in the story. The grand jury will demand it.

Here's the million dollar question.  If Slager is so concerned about the investigation, and so concerned about his sources, and SO CONCERNED about the "corruption" in Wareham, why hasn't he sent this story to the appropriate investigating body?  That would be the responsible course of action here.  It would give that body the information they "need", and it wouldn't put anybody in danger.  Of course, he'll say that they can't be trusted, they're trying to cover things up, etc, etc, but the real answer, as usual, is that he's full of poo, and he has nothing to back up what he's saying.  But if he really were as responsible as he claims, this is what he'll do.

an individual in Wareham offered to buy the Observer for $100,000. After picking my jaw off the floor and considering the offer for a few seconds, I then instructed this individual to do something anatomically impossible. I wish to God I could print this individual’s name, but without recorded evidence I would just be inviting a defamation lawsuit.

The truth is a defense against defamation lawsuits.  This is simply another outrageous claim that he can't back up.  He's made sensationalistic accusations against others in this town based on nothing more than an email from an unnamed individual or a call to his office.  Why is this any difference.  Again, Mr. Slager, either print what you have, or stop claiming to have it.  It makes you look like a sad, attention-starved little boy.

With so many eyes now on the District Attorney’s office, I believe a thorough investigation will finally ensue.

Are these the four eyes from the two people who you were able to rassle up to contact Rep. Gifford? 

I’m not looking for glory. I only care about the truth.

"I'm not looking for glory, which is why I just wrote an article about myself under the title of Revealing the Computer Audit End Game"

Come on Rob, did you really think we wouldn't see through this crap?  This was the most transparent thing you've written yet, and that's saying something.

#5 2009-09-12 09:26:44

I can't tell if this is a column or his application to the funny farm.  He needs serious medical attention.

No wonder the Selectmen have tossed him and brought in a former Mayor of Brockton to be their new spokesman.  Their old spokesman finally lost his last marble.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-09-12 09:28:16)

#6 2009-09-12 09:41:46

Cas,
As I said before, this guy is at the end of his rope. His paper is failing, the "sources" he talks to have lied to him and he has paid for publishing those lies by losing all credibility, and he has contradicted himself too many times to count.  In a nutshell, he's done in this town and he knows it.

If anyone has this information Slager claims to have emailed, I'd toss it in the garbage. it will be based on sources who either had an axe to grind or made it up.  The only thing it will reveal is that he had bad sources for bad information.

He is trying to FORCE the DA to call him to the Grand Jury because he is playing the martyr card. That is his end game. Finally, he sees himself as some great messenger to 6 or 7 people, and they still think the FBI is flying around in helicopters and spying on us...whew....

If you read what Rip Dinkle wrote, it makes perfect sense now. "If a source lies and the reporter prints that lie, is it still a lie? Who is responsible for the lie?"  The answers are, YES it is still a lie and the reporter is responsible because they chose to print it. This has been the MO of this nutbag since I've dealt with him. If someone tells me something, it must be true and I should print it. Thank God we have responsible reporters that challenge sources for answers.

SO let's sum it up so I can get busy enjoying FOOTBALL and the TN VOLS (4:00pm on ESPN) We will be watching it at my house, so stop on by, but NO TALKING POLITICS during the game!

Okay, back to summing it up. Slager is done, I told you months ago, his end game would be to call out the DA and blame the failure of his paper on the hate bloggers. Maybe he should have taken the 100k in monopoly money from his imaginary suitor? No named sources (unless it's the Selectmen), conspiracy theories to destroy him, and a diminishing circulation equal the END GAME.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

#7 2009-09-12 09:51:36

casual.. from slager--"...and how to e-mail it to thousands of people..." to add to your response that is WHY he sent his letter about susan willams gifford to the courier.. he doesnt have the readers..

#8 2009-09-12 09:52:58

It sounds like he is baiting the DA. He wants to be part of this investigation. He wants to be called before the grand jury. He wants to be one of the players. He can’t stand being on the outside looking in. Any REASPONSIBLE journalist would have printed the story if they knew about any corruption in Wareham and actually had facts to back that story. Any REASPONSIBLE citizen would have contacted the DA if they had evidence of wrongdoing.

He has definitely gone over the edge

#9 2009-09-12 09:59:05

If he reported significant lies - and what he has been publishing are without a doubt significant, there's no Mea Culpa too big to headline in his paper.

If he wants to play the martyr to a grand jury and invoke his first amendment rights not to reveal sources and chooses to sit in the Plymouth House of Corrections based in his belief he wasn't lied to by sources with their own agendas, let him cool his heels.

Who will publish his paper while he's in the slammer?

Does his instructions to whoever has the disk with all the explosive information include a subsection about publishing it in the event he is in jail for contempt?

If he really has salient information to tell the grand jury, instead of publishing an "I double dare you" in his paper it seems to me a formal letter sent via certified mail to the DA would be the appropriate thing to do.

Added: If Slager and his sources fear for their lives, the prudent (i.e. not utterly stupid) thing to do is report this to the police. If they don't trust the Wareham Police Department they should go to the State Police.  If they don't trust them they should go to the FBI.

Even if there were crimes committed, and he and his sources know the culprits, the crimes would have to be major enough to prompt someone to commit murder. In Wareham? Someone has done something so bad to risk a murder investigation and possible conviction?

Someone seems to have been watching the Sopranos too much.

If these crimes were so major and he and his sources didn't go to law enforcement you have to question what's wrong with them?
https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/615_greater_gangster_stories_january_1934.jpg
https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/615_462px-lepke_buchalter_and_j_edgar_hoover_nywts.jpg
J. Edgar Hoover and Louie "Leftie" Lepke
https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/615_800px-alcaponemugshotcpd.jpg
Al Capone

Photos from WikiMedia

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

Last edited by urneighbor (2009-09-12 10:12:05)

#10 2009-09-12 12:00:17

There is a level of big screen movie in all this nonsense. Really, when you think about it, it's wareham, not the evil empire of Star Wars. He is writing novels about a conspiracy that far exceed the actual situation.

One question that needs to be addressed: If someone who is behind on their bills, struggling to sale papers, and now working from home, is offered 100k for his business and rejects it, is he truly looking out for his family? Think about it.....

#11 2009-09-12 12:08:05

If the mysterious Mr. X who offered him $100,000 to buy his paper did so to silence him that should be reported to the DA too.
https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/615_nuvola_spy.png

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#12 2009-09-12 12:25:33

T.S.Eliot got it right in The Hollow Men":

"This is the way the world ends: This is the way the world enda: This is the way the world ends: Not with a bang but a whimper."

#13 2009-09-12 12:34:05

A person of integrity would have contacted the DA to report any criminal activity

A person or journalist with integrity would have published this article as soon as the information was verified

A person with integrity would have contacted the police if they felt their lives or the lives of their informants were in danger

A SMART person would have taken the $100,000

A person with integrity would have then paid off the people he owes with the money

A person with integrity and someone who actually cares about their family would use the money to pay the mortgage and maybe set money aside for his children’s education.

A SMART person would have taken what was left of the $100,000 and started a new newspaper debt free

If the DA calls him in he gets thrown in jail for contempt and the rag goes under. They could also charge him with obstruction.

#14 2009-09-12 12:53:26

Cas and Dick,
I can't even begin to tell  you how much I, and many others, appreciate you.
Thank you both.

#15 2009-09-12 13:01:52

PShooter

#16 2009-09-12 13:05:28

You have to give credit where it is deserved. Remember what Yogi said,"It ain't braggin' if you can do it, "  and  Slager has pulled it off.

So i have submitted his latest editorial to "The Guinness Book of Records" for consideration as  the world's longest epitaph.

#17 2009-09-12 13:08:28

Dick,
I don't know what we would do without you.
If I could think of anyone that I would want to take a 1,000 mile sailboat ride just to hear them talk and learn from them, it would be you.

Last edited by danoconnell (2009-09-12 13:09:52)

#18 2009-09-12 13:09:37

Bobo Shooter said:

I wish to God I could print this individual’s name, but without recorded evidence I would just be inviting a defamation lawsuit.

Paul Shooter said:

I swear to God I would give up everything I own for five minutes alone with that (edit) blogger so I could smack some sense into him.

The same guy?  Or two guys who do an awful lot of swearing at God?  You be the judge....

#19 2009-09-12 13:49:46

Could be the same person but I never thought he was creative enough to concoct another persona.

It is highly unlikely he's what most people still call a multiple personality, a rare psychiatric disorder especially among men since it's usually caused by severe and prolonger child sexual abuse most often suffered by girls.

On "I wish to God I could print this individual’s name, but without recorded evidence I would just be inviting a defamation lawsuit": this strikes me as lame.

If someone actually did offer him $100,000 to buy the paper unless Slager specifically claimed it was a bribe, how would publishing the name be defamation?

For someone to win a lawsuit on this they would have to prove that  this harmed their reputation, or decreases the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against a person. (from the Legal Dictionary.

All he wrote is that someone "offered to buy the Observer for $100,000" and that  "after picking (his) jaw off the floor and considering the offer for a few seconds, (he) then instructed this individual to do something anatomically impossible", no defamation I can see in that.

Last edited by urneighbor (2009-09-12 13:56:30)

#20 2009-09-12 13:53:39

Neighbor, it might be more common in men than you think, I hear Johnny Depp has it...

#21 2009-09-12 13:57:19

UR,
I would never argue with you over this because I know who you are and what you do.
But, I still think it is one person.
I respect your knowledge and hope some day you will tell me that I am right.
Until then, I will just think what I think.

#22 2009-09-12 14:07:14

I didn't say impossible, just highly unlikely.

One of the features would be that there is almost always one way amnesia between some of the personalities. In other words, while one personality is in control the other is unaware of what happens. The primary personality is generally unaware the other personalities exist.

If someone seems to have two personalities, there is a very good chance they have more than that, often a few but sometimes hundreds.

I you're interested, record or watch The Unexplained on the Biography channel on Sept. 19 at 3:00 PM.

I have no idea about Johnny Depp. He's a fantastic actor regardless. I hate to think he'd suffered the abuse that can lead to what is one of the most severe post-traumtic stress disorders.

#23 2009-09-12 14:12:52

I understand what you are saying.
Now... a question: what is one of the personalities WRITES about something. Does the other personality know that it is him writing, and learns from the written word?

#24 2009-09-12 14:21:56

Simply the answer is probably no. Here's why. The denial is strong and profound. Say Paul Shooter is an alter personality Slager has amnesia for. He will construct all kinds of explanations for how he got the written columns. It is possible he will have hallucinated Shooter but that is unlikely.

The primary personality looses time when the alternate personality is in control, and sometime regains consciousness in another location from from where (usually) she remembers being. They could be wandering down the road at 2:00 AM in their underwear and picked up by the police.

They would be totally confused trying to explain how they got there knowing they didn't remember but trying to give the police a sensible explanation.

The alter personality might even re-take control and offer the police a plausible explanation like that they suffer from sleep walking. They might be taken back home where they would wake up with no memory at all of what happened.

This is a fascinating disorder. The book "Sybil" is the classic but there are others, and numerous case studies in the professional literature.

#25 2009-09-12 14:52:59

Thank you for the information, and the other info you sent me.
I think we can all learn something from this site everyday!
Isn't it wonderful!!

#26 2009-09-12 15:11:38

I was looking to add a clip from "Me, Myself & Irene", because of the Multiple personality "debate". To my amusement, Carrey says, "Bobo" at the one minute point.

PShooter

#27 2009-09-12 15:18:35

Makes for good fiction:

Conceived by Juno’s screenwriter, Diablo Cody, and executive-produced by Steven Spielberg, the totally absurd, utterly engrossing new series United States of Tara premieres on Showtime on January 18.
Tara (Toni Collette) is a typical suburban mother . . . except for the dissociative identity disorder, which causes her three alternate personalities — “T” (a flirty teenager), “Buck” (a hard-drinking macho man), and “Alice” (a happy ’50s-style homemaker) — to appear. Tara’s family is fairly used to these “alters,” but needless to say, things do get weird. In lesser hands, the gimmick could wear thin. But thanks to the sweetly acerbic scripts, Collette’s fantastic performance, and an excellent supporting cast — led by Rosemarie DeWitt and John Corbett — we have high hopes for Tara . . . and Buck, T, and Alice, too.

United States of Tara

But the truth of this disorder is stranger... and the cause nothing to laugh about.

#28 2009-09-12 15:55:02

DAMN...I love you guys.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com