#1 2009-09-11 14:43:33

Rip Dinkle here.....this deserved it's own thread.....

Breaking News! (key my music)........Rip Dinkle, reporting live......

If you want to know how much support a certain un-named reporter has, I have the answer! 3 people! Well, technically 2, but we are willing to go iffy on the 3. If you read "his" paper, which I don't, you will note that he called "all his troops" to rally and write Susan Gifford, our esteemed representative, and express their displeasure at his behest. A very reliable source has informed me that Mrs. Gifford has received only 3 letters/email/calls since "his" display of inept inability to rally his readers (way too many I words, but it sounded good). Actually, she received 2 negative letters and 1 letter in support. Let's just call it three supporters because I'm reminded of his rally at the Bob Brady meeting, and it appears he has once again proven how many supporters he really has! (cue the crickets chirping in an open field video here)

Okay Ham, PLEASE put the laugh sound track in for me..i'm busting a gut here and crying from all the laughing.

ANOTHER source asked me a question, which i pose to my well versed readers: "If a source tells a lie to the reporter, and the reporter reports the lie, is it still a lie? Who is responsible for the lie? (I would like 100 words or less in response, my eyes are filled with tears of laughter from the HUGE SUPPORT "he" has.

Rip Dinkle...with special shoutouts to my source and the esteemed Susan Gifford....the magic number of the day is 2.....:) Shaken, not stirred!

#2 2009-09-11 14:45:23

I also want to mention that 18 - 2 is 16. On the same note 18/2 = 9. So, we have 9 times the support!

Rip Dinkle......math wizz......over and out!

#3 2009-09-11 14:57:31

We all love Rip Dinkle.
We all know that Rip Dinkle can kick so and so's ass.
He is swell!!

#4 2009-09-11 16:04:11

We all need to be careful here. If you recall, back on July 30 when Bobo and our esteemed moderator John Donahue were organizing their "silent protest" of Bob Brady's meeting, they had absolutely no support. Now they have two supporters. They are growing. They have grown two supporters in about 42 days. The math is way to much for me to do, but at some point they will have four or maybe six supporters. By town meeting they may be all the way up to eight supporters (if town meeting goes on and on like the moderator tries to make it go). Just be careful of the growth of this group. Don't ever let your guard down.

#5 2009-09-11 16:18:38

rukidding wrote:

We all need to be careful here. If you recall, back on July 30 when Bobo and our esteemed moderator John Donahue were organizing their "silent protest" of Bob Brady's meeting, they had absolutely no support.

That's not true (kind of), there was Bobo and Donahue... so that's two supporters.  And probably the same two that wrote Mrs. Gifford.  So support is not growing, it's stagnant.

#6 2009-09-11 16:45:14

question do you count yourself as a supporter for something you started like the protest?? if you DONT count youself or selves then what is the math # of supporters???

#7 2009-09-12 10:12:21

Larry, it's obvious that Mr. Slager needs to take some remedial math courses.  First he miscalculated just about everything in his "Fun With Numbers" Jeer, and now this.  There are some basic factual inaccuracies that we can start with:

In an on-line poll that Bill Whitehouse put on his web site a few weeks ago, 18 people responded.

This is factually incorrect.  I'm sure Slager would call it a "minor factual inaccuracy", but it's basic reading comprehension that we're talking about here. The only poll posted recently on this site with 18 votes was the one that Steve posted about colors for signs/t-shirts/etc.  So strike 1 for el-reporter-extraodinaire

Also, note that he's misleading people here by implying that the 18 people who respond to the poll are representative of the people on this site.  I chose not to respond to the poll because, honestly, I really don't care about t-shirt and sign colors.  I do care about setting the record straight when Slager tries to mislead people, so that's where my effort goes.  Trying to claim that the 18 people who responded to that poll are in any way, shape, or form representative of the site as a whole is maliciously misleading, and Slager should be ashamed of himself.

Just for fun we took a look at the “Take Back Wareham” web site, which we always suspected was run by the exact same group of hate bloggers. Guess how many people are registered on that site? You got it - 18. Yes, 18 people

Assuming he's talking about http://takebackwareham86bos.blogspot.com/ (we have to assume because he never cites sources - however, this is the first google result for "Take Back Wareham"), the text "18", "registered", and "users" all do *not* appear on that site.  I have no idea where he got this from, but the number of registered users, or followers, is really irrelevant.  Why, you ask?  Because that site is basically a holding place for the videos that are discussed here.  I follow it through my blog reader, much like I do this site.  I would do the same for Slager's site, except he doesn't appear to understand how blogs work, so there is no RSS file available.

That comes after the revelation that only 12 people committed to gathering signatures in the hope of recalling the Board of Selectmen this summer.

hmmm...maybe, just possibly, this is because we aren't pushing for a recall?  No offense to the recall folks (I don't know who you are), but the recall option never really gained steam, and no matter how much Slager wants to spin and lie, this site and Bob's meeting weren't about a recall.  We're about taking back Wareham from the dopes in power who are running it into the ground, and doing it in a responsible way.

Slager then makes a completely unsubstantiated claim about CBW membership for which he has no factual evidence.  The hypocrisy of him doing this after "demanding" that Rep Gifford show evidence of her claims, and Mr. Brady do the same, is mind-boggling.

Let's do some math of our own, though.  As you all know, I save copies of Mr. Slager's writings, which includes the little "X people currently online" thing on top.  So today, I whipped up a little script to do some math for me.  Before reading these numbers, please note four things.  (1) I removed myself from the results, as it counts anybody who goes to the site as a "person currently online" even though I'm just going to save his poo for posterity.  (2) These numbers include anybody, or anything, that is retrieving a page.  So if Google is indexing the site, that counts as a person currently online.  If somebody goes to actually read it, that counts (whether or not they have an account).  If anybody else saves the files like I do, they would count too.  So that means that (3), these numbers are likely still high, even after removing myself from the counts.  I would estimate the averages are about .75 "people" high, based on all of the other things that could be triggering a "hit".  Finally, (4), I retrieved the site at various hours of the day over the past several months to ensure a smooth distribution of readership (for example, one would assume there's more readers at lunchtime than there are at 8AM, etc).  The sample set is statistically valid to cover these examples.

The results?  On average, he has 12 readers.  OVER 87 PERCENT of the time, he has 18 or fewer readers.  Basically 7 times out of every 8 I retrieved the site, he had 18 or fewer readers on it.  Remember, this is a guy who last month pulled in 1/3 of the page views that this site did, and fully a quarter of his hits come from a dozen or so people.  There's an old saying about people in glass houses that seems to be appropriate here, but I can't seem to remember what it was....

#8 2009-09-12 11:50:02

Cas,
There is no "official" Take Back Wareham Site yet(notice the yet), so he has no clue what he is talking about. As far as the color of the tshirts, that has nothing to do with the actual order of the tshirts or quantity. Grasping at straws.....

#9 2009-09-12 11:57:48

Bobo is most likely referring to the "Take Back Wareham" link on this website (Right column under the short bus, with the news paper links). 

That link takes you to a Take Back Wareham Twitter page which has 17 followers.  I'm pretty sure it's not affiliated with the Take Back Wareham crew (or recall crew), but most likely someone involved in the movement that's using advanced technology to get the word out.

Yet another inaccuracy to add!

#10 2009-09-12 12:27:16

When I'm home I may check this site a dozen times a day (yeah, some would say I should get a life) - but it only takes a second to click on new messages to see if there are any. When Slager has something new I might read and read-read it several times, and if I want to post about it may click on it 6 times.

That's why the only way to count stats meaningfully is to break them down, which most programs (even the free one from Google) let you do. They show how many brand new readers a site gets, how many repeat visitors (loyalty), the times spent on the site (longer is better obviously), how many pages were viewed per visit, traffic sources... and that's just a free service.

He should know, for example, how any people spend less than 10 seconds on his site just to see if there is anything new.

Some put a cookie on your computer so they can tell every time you specifically return since your IP address may be shared.

Most for-profit sites track much more information with for a fee services. ( see Wiki on web analytics.

Last edited by urneighbor (2009-09-12 13:02:31)

#11 2009-09-12 13:59:41

acasualobserver wrote:

Just for fun we took a look at the “Take Back Wareham” web site, which we always suspected was run by the exact same group of hate bloggers. Guess how many people are registered on that site? You got it - 18. Yes, 18 people

Assuming he's talking about http://takebackwareham86bos.blogspot.com/ (we have to assume because he never cites sources - however, this is the first google result for "Take Back Wareham"), the text "18", "registered", and "users" all do *not* appear on that site.  I have no idea where he got this from, but the number of registered users, or followers, is really irrelevant.  Why, you ask?  Because that site is basically a holding place for the videos that are discussed here.  I follow it through my blog reader, much like I do this site.  I would do the same for Slager's site, except he doesn't appear to understand how blogs work, so there is no RSS file available.

I started tracking traffic about a week after I started the site. I have never met BillW in person, and have NO affiliation with any of the previous "leaders" of this town. "Powere Elite", too funny.

Here are the numbers, as of last night (since 8/12); 708 Visits / 22.84 Visits per Day / 1,792 Pageviews . No registered users, and no option for that. When I first read Bobo's comments about it, I figured he was talking about another site (I still do). But, if you google "Take Back Wareham", you'll most likely find my site listed first. The site was created, originally, to link the audio for the "Take Back Wareham" meeting, to BillW's site. After it was up, I decided to add things, basically, for reference and information pertaining to issues discussed in this forum. Thanks for watching, Cas.

p.s. Casual, even if you don't care about shirt colors, you got one, on me, if you want. They should be done in a few days. Just say the word.

PShooter

Last edited by PShooter (2009-09-12 15:18:36)

#12 2009-09-13 11:44:02

As an aside: condolences to Larry for Tennessee's loss yesterday.
Do yourself a favor, so as not to aggravate yourself into a frenzy: Don't watch next week when your guys take on Tebow.

#13 2009-09-13 11:49:01

Dan,
Unfortunately, I'm a die hard..so I will watch. I will also cuss and fidget and somewhere in the process, I will blame the referees for bad calls. Thus is the life of a VOL fan..until..NEXT YEAR...

maybe Tebow will get a touch of the flu ????

#14 2009-09-13 11:54:12

If he does, he will have the best medical care available in the World.
Ahead of time I will say this to you: I feel your pain!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com