#1 2009-09-07 15:05:23

Anyone NOT understand what a ridiculous idea of a part time Chief of Police is now?
Three days or horrible incidents that have happened in Wareham and to Wareham residents, not mentioning near fatal accidents, and the rest of the crimes that have been committed by idiots.
Was the so called "Chief" at any of these crime scenes?
Who was there? Maybe the guy that is the REAL Chief that is getting screwed because he hasn't been promoted, supported, or paid for what he is taking on.
He must be some kind of Saint, or someone so committed to the people of Wareham that there will never be a way to say "thank you" to him.
The idea of having a part time Chief, especially an administrator, is contrary to any reasonable thinking.
The men and women of the Police Department need a street cop as a Chief. Someone they know and trust. Someone they are willing to go into combat with.
The highest compliment that a Marine can give any person is: "I'd be proud to go into combat with you."
Who in the hell can say that to this part-time Chief?
Asking our brave men and women to go into combat with some Chief from some other Town that is driving a Wareham cruiser(which I am sure could be used out on the street on patrol...especially now in the Summer) and spending 20 hours a week in Wareham? It's an insult. It's inexcusable.
I don't care how good he is...he isn't that good.
No one is.
I have been contacted by anonymous sources from within and on the fringe of the Wareham PD. Police Officers and others that work in law enforcement that have found out that they can trust me protecting their anonymity with my life.
Cops talk.
Cops talk a lot.
Here is the bottom line from what I am getting directly from the sources (you will have to trust me here that I am telling you the truth). First of all they trust me because they know once a cop...always a cop.
The morale is so low it can't get lower. We have an expression here in Florida,"It's as low as grouper shit."
They are afraid for their jobs because they don't have any one in power that openly supports them.
They are embarrassed by ridiculous charges against them like being racists, or lazy, or vindictive.
They are disgusted that they can't do their job without wondering if they will get canned the next day because someone in power doesn't like their attitude.
They are petrified that they will lose Civil Service, and therefor, any protection they have now.
They DON'T DESERVE THIS!!!
Support these cops.
Fight the fight for them because they can't... and no one else will that should.
Don't tolerate stupidity any longer.
All of this is so foreign to me that I don't think I could write a fictional novel and have anyone read it because it would be too ridiculous.
Combat troops need a leader.
Force the BOS to find one. Make sure you fight with your last breath to protect these men and women on Town Meeting Floor and defeat these incompetent, vicious, petty, self-absorbed, egotistical , pseudo-intellectual, arrogant, abrasive, ignorant Selectmen.
Sorry about the rant...enough is enough.
To the men and women of the Police Department that read and post on this site: Thank you for your service. Thank you for your commitment to your job. Thank you for your professionalism. Thank you for caring enough to even stay in Wareham. Protect and support each other and watch each others' back.
Most of all: be patient. You have more friends than you even know.
And PLEASE...be careful out there.

#2 2009-09-07 15:46:03

Last I heard there's still a murderer on the loose, and whenever a suspect is identified whoever brings him in is at risk. He could be stopped randomly too and it doesn't take any imagination to know the potential for danger in that.

Related to a chief and morale, which is essential, here's something else to consider just as a cost matter.

If the chief isn't respected "by the troops" , which of course is earned by being an excellent administrator who doesn't let politics make him forget what it was like to wear black boots instead of brogans (so to speak) there will be union grievances up the wing-wang. Right Dan?

Some will be justified and some not, some won and some lost.  Grievances not only are bad for morale, they are costly. Does the town really need that?

Does anybody know how long it took for Stanley to get on the scene after the Elmwood St. murder? Or perhaps he thought it better to let Lt. Wallace handle things because he is familiar not only with Wareham officers but with the county BCI investigators and their procedures.

#3 2009-09-07 16:46:45

If I was the Wareham PD Union President or a member, I would be demanding to file grievances.
It is not a sign of disrespect when you don't receive respect.
I don't ever remember having our Union file a grievance the whole time I served on the WPD, and I don't recall any grievance filed when I was a Selectman.
Wasn't any need.
There was respect.
Mutual respect.
There are many reasons for grievances now. I can only imagine that they are not being filed because the "troops" are trying to protect Lt. Wallace and his position.
If they don't start doing something soon, all will be lost anyway.
To the cops: time to FIGHT!!
Street corner punks don't run your Town. You make sure of it.
Don't let a bunch of elitist, egomaniacs that just happen to be lucky enough to hold elected office take over your streets either.
Punks are punks.

#4 2009-09-07 16:54:32

WHEN YOU GO TO TOWN MEETING DEFEAT THE SELECTMANS CALL FOR THE POLICE CHIEFS POSITION TO BE NON CIVEL SERVICE , KEEP THE STRONG CHIEFS LAW , WE DONT NEED THESE CROOKED SELECTMAN RUNNING THINGS.

#5 2009-09-07 17:12:43

Dan your the man, and I'm Hamatron5001.

I'd like to know if the police officers supported Wallace for Chief. Show them the respect they've earned and let us hear their voices, without fear of repercussions. I know they posess far more insight into the matter than I.

It's obvious this Board intends to seize control of everything it can get away with. If the current Chief is any good, he should not hide behind the title "interim". Act like a Chief, act as if this is YOUR town. Make it better. If you see our "leaders" as full if shit, call them on it. Work with them, if you must, but stand firm. If you have integrity, let it show. DO YOUR JOB.

KEEP CIVIL SERVICE                NO MAYOR IN WAREHAM                NO TO WESTFIELD

PShooter
http://takebackwareham86bos.blogspot.com/

#6 2009-09-07 17:23:29

PShooter...you know as HAMATRON5000 I am very proud to call you my son, HAMATRON5001.
The real question is to ask yourself and the part time Chief: WHAT JOB?
"HI, I'm John Jones, I'm a part-time Chief of Police in a Town 50 miles away.
I'm pretty sure I know how to get there, but, they gave me this swell cruiser car with GPS so I know I can find it.
Don't you wish you were me?
I make a full time salary as a Chief of Police in my HOME Town, and then I go out and charge a bunch of numb nuts lots of bucks to be a part time Chief in THEIR Town. Apparently, they don't have any qualified cops to run the Department. I understand, from some of the elected officials, that the current cops are pretty stupid, and racists as well, so they can't find a guy as great as me.
Isn't it neat?
America is wonderful.
By the way, could you check to see if I receive any more percentage of retirement through the State Retirement system by doing this gig?
Also, do you know if you pronounce the Town's name "Wear-em'" or WearHAM?
Thanks."
Poor cops.

Last edited by danoconnell (2009-09-07 17:26:27)

#7 2009-09-07 17:29:40

I'm not surprised to hear that morale is down in the police department. It is down in ALL departments. When morale is down, performance can be affected. I'm not saying it is and I'm not saying people aren't doing their jobs, but when you feel lower than "grouper shit" --a new one for me by the way--you just don't feel like doing your job anymore. You just don't have it in you to face the degradation day after day.

Many of us have been there and know what that feels like. Right now we need to support our town employees. We need our town employees to support us---those of us who are trying to take back Wareham for its citizens.

We need to get the word out that this is an important town meeting. I agree with Steve. We need to focus on this town meeting to the exclusion of all else at least for now.

Keep Civil Service               No Mayor in Wareham                     No to Westfield

This should be our new mantra.

#8 2009-09-07 17:31:53

DanO, I agree with you 100%. But, like alot of things, we have to deal with the reality that he is our chief.

Actions by our BOS have forced us to live with fallout from their poor decisions. It's like, "Hey, they cut off my finger, how can I get the job done with what I got left." It sucks, but until we kick their asses to the curb, we have to deal with their missteps. Hamatron5001, over & out.

PShooter

Last edited by PShooter (2009-09-07 17:33:51)

#9 2009-09-07 17:34:19

If you guys are Hamatrons, you must be incredibly handsome.

#10 2009-09-07 17:35:28

only if the ham family resembles 007 sean connery..

#11 2009-09-07 17:36:56

I'd like to submit that grouper shit is higher than the BOS, because I'd imagine that grouper shit would double as a fine lawn fertilizer and thus is useful for something, which can't be said about the selectmen.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-09-07 17:37:45)

#12 2009-09-07 18:12:17

Molly...glad to read your post.
YOU THE GIRL!!
Also, I agree with Steve.
Steve Holmes will be one of your new Selectmen in Wareham in April.
The least you can do for your new leader is to comply with his wishes.
If someone has something to say about an unnamed person or entity, do it through private message and all of us can forward it to those we know and trust.
Don't forget...not everyone of this post is one of "us".
Private messages is naming names that we have been asked not to name on this site for one week.
Respect Steve.
Steve has also asked for all of you to concentrate on Town Meeting. he knows the election is several months away, the Town Meeting is only weeks.
Selectman Steve Holmes.
Sounds good..huh?
I know this will be hard, especially for the intellects among us like common...I am sure he has already read a certain post on another site that has infuriated him, as well as me and many others.
Patience.

#13 2009-09-07 18:20:03

if any1 knows me they know i have no patience..
on the other hand i am very passionate about what i believe in and wont let go or back down either.. inside family joke i am the pitbull cuz i dont let things JUST go..
town meeting warrant knowledge is key also getting voters out and voting...
we need to stand behind our POLICE OFFICERS AND TOWN EMPLOYEES.. they keep us and our familys safe and our town going..

#14 2009-09-07 19:03:36

This interim chief thing only is understandable to me if I assume the BOS has a hidden agenda. The typical way to conduct a search is to appoint the next highest ranking officer acting chief. An alternative is to bring a retired local chief in until a new chief is hired.

Then the BOS hires a police chief hiring consultant and puts together a search committee like Sherborn did in April.

How difficult is this?

#15 2009-09-07 19:12:32

UR..thank you...says it all.
THAT is the way you hire a Police Chief.
Hopefully, Sherborn has a local officer that qualifies.

#16 2009-09-07 19:29:16

Other towns have things like search committees and open interviews during regularly scheduled selectmen's meetings.  Our town has "This is who you got now, chumps, deal with it."

#17 2009-09-07 19:46:16

Hamatron5000 wrote:

Other towns have things like search committees and open interviews during regularly scheduled selectmen's meetings.  Our town has "This is who you got now, chumps, deal with it."

our neew town accountant with NO DEGREE was hired and other who applied with degrees not even given a call..

#18 2009-09-07 19:58:08

I would note that in Halifax, hometown of "He who shall not be named," the selectmen in that town interviewed their town accountant finalists during a regularly scheduled public selectmen's meeting.  I wonder why, if "He" thinks the Wareham selectmen do such a great job, why then did he not demand that his hometown selectmen do the interviews in private?  I guess what is good for his hometown isn't good for us Wareham chumps.

#19 2009-09-07 21:08:54

I'm waiting for commonsense to entertain us with what I am sure is coming.
I am sure commonsense knows more than most people in this area.
I, for one, rely on him (her?) to keep us informed.
One thing is clear...the cops need your help.
Let's stop them from being abused by a group of malcontents.

#20 2009-09-08 09:00:49

I want to thank one of our posters for bringing out the fact that the members of the WPD Union can't file grievances unless it falls within the purview of the collective bargaining agreement.
It's been over 40 years since I was involved with the Union, and I stand corrected.However, as I thought about it later, it came to me that under the collective bargaining agreement there are certain protections afforded to the members of the Union. With some of the accusations against Officers, I bet the person who wrote me could get very creative to find some "loopholes" that would allow a Police Officer the right to defend his name and reputation.
The person who wrote me is one of the smartest people I have ever "known", and I appreciate his advise.
I was never bothered by not being the smartest guy in the room, I only want the smartest guy in the room to be my friend, not my enemy.
This particular person reminds me of  a very dear friend that recently passed away.He had 5 PH.Ds'...FIVE...I enjoyed talking with him and discussing issues with him, although we both knew I was not on the same intellectual level. He never looked down on me, and we had conversations that far exceeded my capacity to engage in, but, he was smart enough to let you not know it.
Thanks to the person who wrote me. I appreciate your posts and your private messages.
I have told you before, you are brilliant, and I am glad you are on "our" side.
Now...think of some way for the members of the Union to insist that the BOS protect them and stand up for the men and women of the WPD.
PLEASE?

#21 2009-09-08 09:13:31

"I bet the person who wrote me could get very creative to find some "loopholes" that would allow a Police Officer the right to defend his name and reputation."

Does the WPD have a new contract yet?  With lack of trust not only in the BOS but also of who they will hire as a chief, when it comes to negotiating a new contract does anybody doubt they will push for some of the "loopholes" (i.e. ambiguities) be eliminated.

Regardless, with any contract it is the job of the union to find ways to apply contract language to any grievances members have.

Some union's members willingly accept an increase in their dues to make sure they can hire "take no prisoners" lawyers.

Check this out on MassCops.com

#22 2009-09-08 09:24:02

here is a link to the wareham police union..

www.warehampoliceunion.com

#23 2009-09-08 09:30:39

Good for you, Liz.
Everyone should read the statement by the Union. It says it all.
When I first heard about it, I was appalled that Union would have the audacity to berate the BOS.
Now that I am educated, I think their letter was mild compared to what it could be.
Let the cops do their job. They have enough problems without worrying about being harassed by the BOS or any other elected officials, especially without facts.

#24 2009-09-08 09:53:06

LIZdaGNOME wrote:

here is a link to the wareham police union..

www.warehampoliceunion.com

once on the above site if you click on union blogs you can read releases about coleman, contracts and such very interesting reading..

#25 2009-09-08 11:13:44

Thanks for pointing it out, Liz.
Very interesting reading.
How soon before the President of the Union retires?
He'd make a good Selectman.

#26 2009-09-08 12:12:01

danoconnell wrote:

Thanks for pointing it out, Liz.
Very interesting reading.
How soon before the President of the Union retires?
He'd make a good Selectman.

i dont expext him to retire soon hes pretty young..

#27 2009-09-08 12:15:27

Well, tell him he has a post cop career if he wants it.

#28 2009-09-09 09:33:16

I hadn't thought of the danger to those attending the candlelight vigil tonight until a friend who knew the family of the  Scott Monteiro Jr. is afraid to attend emailed me.

The United Front gang is responsible for most of the shootings in New Bedford. The have a history of intimidating witnesses. These witness then somehow change their stories or don't show up when called to testify.

There's no legal way to keep them from attending the vigil. If they expect to intimidate people by their presence it could backfire and there could be violence.

I hope the interim police chief is there and makes sure he has every possible officer on duty. This is where Wareham having a police auxiliary would help.

Some area towns could call on 20 - 30 uniformed, armed, with arrest power, auxiliary officers to augment the regulars.

#29 2009-09-09 11:06:57

From what I hear, the PD has it covered

#30 2009-09-09 20:43:20

urneighbor wrote:

This interim chief thing only is understandable to me if I assume the BOS has a hidden agenda. The typical way to conduct a search is to appoint the next highest ranking officer acting chief. An alternative is to bring a retired local chief in until a new chief is hired.

Then the BOS hires a police chief hiring consultant and puts together a search committee like Sherborn did in April.

How difficult is this?

The BOS gave Lt. Wallace the position of Chief for 15 days, when Chief Joyce unexpectedly retired.  Don't you think they would have given him at least 30 days so they could look for candidates?  They were going to extend his 15 days another 30 days, but in the meantime in comes IC Stanley.  I personally think he was someone the ITA knew.  This just happened too quick for an unknown to come forward for this job, as a part timer. I heard the BOS weren't happy with the ITA's choice, who also worked in areas near IC Stanley.
Here is your hidden agenda.  They planned to rid Wareham of the Civil Service before Tommy left.  They will keep Stanley until Civil Service is voted out and then they will hire whoever they want.  The BOS will never hire a P.C. Hiring
Consultant.  They will pick the new chief themselves.  I want to know what their "back up" plan is if they don't win on their C.S. removal.  They stated that they have one.

#31 2009-09-09 23:34:35

TBL

Urneighbor, auxilary police officers are a dying breed and are rare in this area. Only Middleboro has them and I think they only work details. Auxilary officers should not be considered a substitute for full time career police officers.

#32 2009-09-10 06:49:29

TBL: Not to get sidetracked on this but of course the auxiliary police aren't a substitute for career officers (though many from "the old days" started their careers as members of an auxiliary). But they don't just do details.  In Middleboro as elsewhere they walk beats, ride with the regulars, and assist at special events like parades and other large gatherings. Obviously regulars from a town or city should get first choice on any extra duty that will pay them. However some events need more officers than there are regulars available and these come for free. I'm not going to do an extensive web search for towns that have them, and this list may be old, but this is what I found on this website:

Ashland Attleboro Belmont Bridgewater State College Cambridge Fall River Framingham Freetown Hamilton Haverhill Holyoke Randolph Rockland Stoughton Southwick Somerville Waltham Wayland  and Winthrop. In some towns in Mass. they even have their own specially marked cruisers and do regular patrols: Fall River, Waltham and Somerville for example.

Many accumulate lots of experience over the years or decades - I was an auxiliary in another state for 12 years and rode every Saturday night with a regular.

Who would you rather have ticketing cars, auxiliaries who went through the reserve-intermittent police academy or crime patrol?

Last edited by urneighbor (2009-09-10 07:11:46)

#33 2009-09-11 17:06:27

I have heard from a few more Police Officers in the last couple of days.
They are concerned that Civil Service can't protect them from being fired arbitrarily by a P. T. Chief or some lackey appointee that is not Civil Service.
I have assured them that they ARE protected by Civil Service and their Union in the event of capricious release from their position.
I feel bad for these men and women.
Why, in addition to all of the stress they are subjected to every time they put on a uniform and go out into combat, should they be under the threat of this crap?
Please ...keep supporting them.
They trust us now.
I promised them that NO-ONE on this site will let them down.
For all of you cops that read and post, like I have said, be patient.
The good people of this site are going to protect you, and they are going to TAKE BACK WAREHAM!!!

#34 2009-09-11 17:09:58

I also spoke with a friend of mine that rose through the ranks of the Mass. State Police.
He is retired now, living down here, but he doesn't have much good to say about the new P.T. Chief.

#35 2009-09-11 17:28:58

Dan,

Any sources know why he is against tasers and apparently won't let N. Andover PD use them.

#36 2009-09-11 17:30:28

urneighbor wrote:

Dan,

Any sources know why he is against tasers and apparently won't let N. Andover PD use them.

funny thing isnt the bos against tasers also???

#37 2009-09-11 17:32:46

Haven't asked...but I will.

#38 2009-09-11 21:26:02

I have an uneasy feeling that the computer investigation may look at unauthorized personal use of Town computers, like posting on this site, etc.
So..to our cops and Town employees out there that are posting on this site, make sure you do it on your personal computer.
I can't imagine it could be a termination of employment violation, but, it could cause trouble, reprimands in  your files, requirement to pay for computer usage time, etc.
So...be careful.

#39 2009-09-12 02:03:49

TBL

I don't think the new chief is against tasers. Tasers are very new to this state and their use is growing. In a few more years tasers will be much more common.

#40 2009-09-12 13:45:41

They have been used for years in Florida.
In fact, I carry a "stun gun".
It requires you to be close to the subject, but the weapon carries 95,000.00 volts.(As opposed to about 50,000 that the Police use). If you touch the "perp" while you are using it, for some reason it does not affect you. After 2 seconds, they are down, 4 seconds they start speaking in tongues.
My wife carries one also. Her's is 100,000 volts.
It now requires a concealed weapons permit to carry a stun gun or a concealed weapon. That law just changed last year. Prior to that, stun guns were not considered necessary to be licensed.
Yes, both my wife and I are licensed to carry concealed weapons.

#41 2009-09-12 14:21:48

I have been reading the posts for sometime now as well as the newspapers and I have to say I am SHOCKED at the behavior of the officials in this town. I cant understand why more people dont stand up against this??? These hidden agendas and corrupt politicians are ruining the town!

I have a vast amount of sources in politics and law enforcment and there has been nothing good said about the Wareham town government or its new police chief.

All I can say is best wishes to the wareham police department and thank you for all your hard work and dedication. To the people of Wareham, its time to oust the current officials and start fresh with new people and ideas.

#42 2009-09-12 20:34:19

urneighbor wrote:

Last I heard there's still a murderer on the loose, and whenever a suspect is identified whoever brings him in is at risk. He could be stopped randomly too and it doesn't take any imagination to know the potential for danger in that.

Related to a chief and morale, which is essential, here's something else to consider just as a cost matter.

If the chief isn't respected "by the troops" , which of course is earned by being an excellent administrator who doesn't let politics make him forget what it was like to wear black boots instead of brogans (so to speak) there will be union grievances up the wing-wang. Right Dan?

Some will be justified and some not, some won and some lost.  Grievances not only are bad for morale, they are costly. Does the town really need that?

Does anybody know how long it took for Stanley to get on the scene after the Elmwood St. murder? Or perhaps he thought it better to let Lt. Wallace handle things because he is familiar not only with Wareham officers but with the county BCI investigators and their procedures.

I heard that OUR chief Wallace called him.  He was either home or almost home. Even if 1/2 way home - 40 minutes.  Everything was in place and being covered when he arrived.  Wareham cops might not "hang" together, but they never let anything stop them from working together, especially in a tragedy like we had last week.  They are always watching each others back.  It's like they have a "police mode" button they push and they just zone in to the problem until it is done.  Awesome to watch our cops and how they work together.  It makes you proud knowing that Our chief Wallace has had a part in putting the puzzle pieces together, over the years, to make our police officers the best that they can be.

#43 2009-09-12 23:21:32

danoconnell wrote:

I have an uneasy feeling that the computer investigation may look at unauthorized personal use of Town computers, like posting on this site, etc.
So..to our cops and Town employees out there that are posting on this site, make sure you do it on your personal computer.
I can't imagine it could be a termination of employment violation, but, it could cause trouble, reprimands in  your files, requirement to pay for computer usage time, etc.
So...be careful.

Do you recall the recent arrest of a neo-nazi who was yelling and screaming, in Stop & Shop and outside at a Hisadic Jew?  This man sped off and while being chased by police, threw a loaded high powered rifle out the car window.  When he finally stopped he got out of the car and was screaming at the cop and charged him.  He was told "at least" 2 times to get on the ground on his stomach, hands behind his back and he refused-he was then tazed, but they still couldn't cuff him because, as a lot of prisoners know, he was rolling on his back to get the leads out, so again - he was tazed.  These officers knew he threw the gun out the window, but had no idea if there was another one.  He and the driver, each had brass knuckles in their pockets and a double edged knife and more ammunition.  The use of a taser was better than an officer firing a shot.  These officers, most of them, have been tased to see what it is like.  This is a needed tool in all police departments.

I question the use of the computers.  I'm not disagreeing with you, Dan.  I know most town hall offices turn their computers on when they come to work in the morning and they stay on all day, unless the office will be empty, like an inspector out in the field.  If these computers are on all day long, anyway, how would you determine a price for personal computer usage.  A lot of people stay in their office for breaks and lunch.  I know this is going to sound stupid, but bear with me.  If this time is used on the town computer, which is on even when someone goes on break or to lunch, there isn't any more electricity used, the internet is already connected so why would someone have to pay for something that is on already?  Before we had computers in town hall and people ate at their desks, were we charging them rent of the chair and desktop?  People also play games on the computer during lunch breaks.  Should they pay for that hour of relaxation so they can work the rest of the day with a good attitude?  If this sounds ridiculous to you, it's because it is.  I know that Dan is warning everyone of the possiblities that can result from using a town computer, but isn't it sad that these people have to walk on eggshells.  Does anyone know if the selectmen's, the ITA's or secretaries' computers were audited?  They should have been included because I think they (BOS) were visiting this sight to see what was being said about them.  I DO agree with you Dan, better to be on the side of caution.  This BOS is beyond help.  We need them out, NOW.

#44 2009-09-13 07:22:53

If someone is disciplined for using the computer for any legal purpose during a break I think they should go to the mat on the issue based on what bornof says.

For now it is best to be cautious.

Why shouldn't a town employee check and write  personal email, read the news, play a game, or post on a blog from their desk during lunch break? Nobody would have protested years ago if they used the phone for a personal call, read the newspaper, did a crossword puzzle or wrote a letter.

Today the computer is just  a 21st century version of an office communications device which has replaced the telephone in many ways.

#45 2009-09-13 09:01:34

I agree with you all. I just think that these people are vicious enough to TRY to harass employees for what they consider personal use.
Cops and Town employees don't need anymore aggravation than they already have.
I just want them to be careful to avoid ANY attempt to "get them".
I know as well as you that proving charges for use will be next to impossible. But, to be accused of misuse is the same as being accused of being a racist, or brute or whatever. Once the bell has been rung, can't be unrung.
I just want to protect those you protect all of you.
Thanks to Bornof and UR...both good friends and advisers to me.

#46 2009-09-13 19:14:39

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

ALL HAIL CHIEF RON JEREMY

Last edited by countypatrol (2009-09-13 19:15:11)

#47 2009-09-15 11:11:18

I spoke to my friend that rose through the ranks of the Mass. State Police, now retired here in Florida.
He told me that he spoke with a few of his cohorts that know the P. T. Chief.
All of them agree that this guy is a "hatchet" man that has been brought in to get "rid" if some trouble makers.
My friend says that he is shocked that Stanley was Chief of Police in ANY Town.
None of them have much use for him.
I don't know the man, don't know any one who really does, but all agree with me that it is impossible to have a part time Chief of Police in the Town of Wareham or any Town the size of Wareham. They believe that is is just an excuse to get rid of the Civil Service Chief's position in order to bring in a "lackey" to sweep the rug clean of "undesirables."
From what I am told by cops on the force now, he hasn't done much except clean up the basement area of the Police Station, has promised to renew the "SWAT" team, and generally is not around.
At least half of the officers of the Dept. haven't even met him.
This is too ridiculous to continue!
Town Meeting is the most important in years, so, I am happy to know that you all are going to go in with the power of the vote and PROTECT the Police Officers of Wareham.
They are afraid, but, feeling more confident after reading this site and listening to me promise that things will get better.
Saying I am disgusted is too mild.
Who in the hell came up with this concept?

#48 2009-09-15 14:52:29

TBL

Dan with respect to your state police friends, you first have to consider that the state police are strongly against local police forces forming regional teams such as a regional SWAT team or dive team. The state police are trying to protect their turf because they also provide these services. But since it may take an extended period of time to round up troopers from far flung parts of the state the trend these days is for regional partnerships called law enforcement councils. By reading about the new chief I can see that he was very much involved in a law enforcement council on the north shore. The state police are great at what they do but you should consider that they could have an axe to grind with someone who they feel played a big part in moving in on their turf.

I agree with you that a part time chief in this town is a bad idea. I think we should give the new chief a chance. He will only be here for about a year and it is always nice to have some fresh ideas and then he will move on. Lt. Wallace did get screwed over by the town but he will probably end up as the permanent police chief at some point.

With that being said the chief of police position belongs in civil service. Politicians should not be running the police department. Make no mistake about it. A non civil service police chief is a politician.

Last edited by TBL (2009-09-15 15:04:06)

#49 2009-09-15 15:10:19

Thank you TBL.
I appreciate your comments and input.

#50 2009-09-15 19:51:48

INV09-24353 1049 BOMB SCARE
Location/Address: [WAE 272] PLYMOUTH COUNTY TEACHERS FEDERAL CREDIT UNION - CRANBERRY HWY
Unit: 2
Unit: 12
Narrative:
*ACTIVE SOP BUTTON*
Wareham Police Department Page: 5
Dispatch Log From: 09/12/2009 Thru: 09/12/2009 0000 - 2359 Printed: 09/14/2009
CHECK LIST: TIME STAMP
SHIFT SUPERVISOR 09/12/2009 1050
WAREHAM FIRE 09/12/2009 1050
LT. WALLACE NOTIFIED 09/12/2009 1051
NARRATIVE: NOTHING SUSPICIOUS AT THIS TIME: REPORT MADE

#51 2009-09-15 19:52:36

Well at least the dispatcher knows who to call !!!!

#52 2009-09-15 19:58:00

09-24424 0907 ALARM/BURGLAR
Location/Address: [WAE 519] MINOT FOREST SCHOOL - MINOT AVE
Unit: 15
Unit: 12
Unit: 10
Narrative:
ALARM - ZONE GIVEN AS FIRST FLOOR REAR
AREA CHECKED - OPEN DOOR FOUND TO MOBILE CLASSROOM
OFF FLUEGEL - CAR 10 NOTIFIED SGT JACINTO
AT THIS TIME 09/13/2009 0919
THAT HE BACKED INTO A BASKETBALL HOOP POST - CRUISER DAMAGE
LT. WALLACE NOTIFIED BY SGT. JACINTO 09/13/2009 0930
SEE REPORT
MOBILE CLASSROOM DOOR SECURED

Well ,
What `s the suspension time ,
For hitting a hoop ?

Once again .
Who`s the Chief ?

#53 2009-09-15 21:27:18

TBL

What's the suspension time for causing minor accidental damage? None, and there shouldn't be! It's the cost of doing business. 40 - 60 hours behind the wheel each week and eventually the law of averages catches up to you.

#54 2009-09-15 21:49:36

I agree with TBL.
Thank God I never wrecked a cruiser, but I have seen cruisers hit by drunk drivers, sliding off of the road in the snow because of bald tires and the Town can't afford to buy new ones, and just  freak accidents.
Unless the act is deliberate, it is a part of doing business.

#55 2009-09-24 15:59:07

I have heard from my cop sources about some good news, especially for them.
The P.T. Chief is trying very hard to improve the working conditions of the Police Department.
In addition to cleaning out areas in need at the Police Station, he is trying to help the officers receive some training, and he has some good ideas about many issues that are discussed here on this site.
I have been told that he is to appear at the next Selectmens' meeting and will be updating what he has done, what he has observed and what he recommends.
It should make for good watching. Many of the members of the PD respect him for trying, even though they know that a P.T. Chief can't last forever.
But, during the time he is there, at least he is attempting to accomplish something.
I guess it will all come out next Tuesday at the Selectmens' meeting.

#56 2009-10-03 14:55:27

Surprise!!
No Chief at the meeting last Tuesday.
The cops I know are so HAPPY!
They have been ignored and disrespected again.
At least they know that help is on the way.

#57 2009-10-06 00:39:25

danoconnell wrote:

PShooter...you know as HAMATRON5000 I am very proud to call you my son, HAMATRON5001.
The real question is to ask yourself and the part time Chief: WHAT JOB?
"HI, I'm John Jones, I'm a part-time Chief of Police in a Town 50 miles away.
I'm pretty sure I know how to get there, but, they gave me this swell cruiser car with GPS so I know I can find it.
Don't you wish you were me?
I make a full time salary as a Chief of Police in my HOME Town, and then I go out and charge a bunch of numb nuts lots of bucks to be a part time Chief in THEIR Town. Apparently, they don't have any qualified cops to run the Department. I understand, from some of the elected officials, that the current cops are pretty stupid, and racists as well, so they can't find a guy as great as me.
Isn't it neat?
America is wonderful.
By the way, could you check to see if I receive any more percentage of retirement through the State Retirement system by doing this gig?
Also, do you know if you pronounce the Town's name "Wear-em'" or WearHAM?
Thanks."
Poor cops.

I thought that I was the only one who noticed WAREHAM become Wear-um.

#58 2009-10-12 22:24:28

I have a conflict.
I have heard from all of the cops that I know. New friends, old friends, cops on the job, cops retired.
There isn't any one of them that says that Civil Service should be eliminated for the Chief of Police position.
Some, especially those still on the job, have one or two names of cops they think would make a good Chief.
Those off the job, retired, or gone for whatever reason, not so much.
The "old timers" do not want a repeat of the Chief Joyce's years.
The "newbies" don't want a repeat of the Chief Joyce's years.
They agree on that.
I believe that each and every one of them will agree to the following:

Stop the effort to eliminate the Chief of Police from Civil Service on Town Meeting Floor.

Call for a Chief of Police exam for any Police Officer that is qualified within the Wareham PD, and include a State-wide result for the Chief's exam

Do what Paul Cardalino said: get a committee together to assess the candidates for Chief. Give more weight obviously to veterans, which are preferred anyway, and Officers that have worked or are working for the Town of Wareham and all of the candidates promise to live in the Town of Wareham if they receive the position.

The results of that committee are given to the appointing authority, or authorities, and they will ultimately decide who is qualified to be the Chief of Police of the Town of Wareham, after holding at least one meeting to invite comments from the public.

Fair.

Balanced.

Works for everyone.

No Part-time Chiefs..no interim Chiefs...just a Chief of Police for the Town of Wareham.

It's not rocket science!!

#59 2009-10-12 23:30:53

Dan, from what I am hearing, this part time chief has brought training at the range back.  He has taken a room in the basement and had it cleaned out and painted, to be used as a training room.  I am told it looks nice.  I don't think the majority of the officers dislike him. They don't like knowing they are working under a part time chief, and they don't blame him.  But, they are quite "pissed" that Lt. Wallace was not made Acting Chief for at least a year
to prove to the BOS that he was and is not of the Tommy Joyce error.

A select few selectmen HATE Tommy Joyce.  This is because he didn't do what
THEY wanted him to do.  And, there are other reasons.  Lt. Wallace should not be painted with the same brush as Tommy.  He deserved and earned the Chief's position when Joyce retired.  But the BOS want to be in absolute power of everything in this town.  Look at the mess we are in with with the health insurance.......because it was taken by the TA from the Treasurer's hand - more POWER.  Changing the name of a certain street in Swift's Beach, without a hearing, but giving a direct order to Mun.Maint. to erect a new sign with a new, self chosen name, because he THOUGHT he had the POWER.  They won't let Wallace be chief because they have the POWER.  They also have the power to request a chief's civil service test soon, but they won't because they want c.s. voted out so they can CONTROL and have all the POWER over what the chief and the police officers can or cannot do.  Look at how they turned CRIME WATCH into ticket writers, chalking tires, yelling at people, swearing at people and eventually hitting someone.  Almost a little police department inside our police department.  They did this for more POWER.

This part time chief's ass is being kissed by the two men I warned him about.  Let's hope he is smart enough to see thru them.  whisper, whisper.  Stop and visit me.   Mark my word, things will be opening up soon.

Also, Dan - your friends that are former police officers don't like him.  I can't believe that it is solely because he was promoting small swat teams to be available in emergencies, with other communities.  Our friend Paul Cardolino had nothing but wonderful things to say about him and asked us to give him a chance.  They took some classes together years ago.  It was never about giving him a chance.  He was here.  I would not want Paul, as good an officer and trainer as he was (who also has faults) to be on the committee the BOS might choose to pick our chief because he doesn't like Wallace or Joyce.  How fair would that be.  I am not saying he does or doesn't have reason to feel that way about Joyce or Wallace - it happened a long time ago.

I don't know how to find this out, but I was told: "don't let anyone tell you that we don't have a full time chief".  It should be public record how much he makes.  I was told he was paid from the time he leaves his house, until he returns to his house.  Travel time, gas, car?  WE HAVE TO ELIMINATE THE ABUSE OF POWER BY THE BOS.

Last edited by bornofwareham (2009-10-12 23:47:11)

#60 2009-10-13 12:32:26

First of all I would not want to be on the committee, I have been out to long, but you must remember a chief must have the support of his subordinates and lead by example. I do not dislike chuck or tom, I was my own problem child and never gave tommy a chances so he could not rely on me for guidance.  In 2005 I found out why I acted the way I did and apologized to tom. The PD needs a total sweep and officers must be held accountable. Please bornof wareham if you know so much about me please spell my name correctly. Cardalino, no o in the middle. I do not know of any process that will get the best person for the chief position. A candidate must be able to fit and be part of the community culture. The must be a give and take not on with the.  chief and the union but between the chief and the BOS and the officers can not play politics. The must be a strong chain of command and unity of command.

#61 2009-10-13 13:52:25

I agree with Capt. C...especially with the strong chain of command.

#62 2009-10-18 08:36:33

Saturday's meeting proved one thing. You need a full time, Civil Service Chief of Police.
PERIOD!
I expect the cops will sway votes on Town Meeting floor and this nonsensical idea will be flushed where it justifiably belongs.

#63 2009-10-18 11:40:57

TBL

I agree Dan. The interim chief seems to be in favor of eliminating the chief position from civil service, but I respectfully disagree with him. Consider the following...

1. He has been protected by civil service during his time as police chief in North Andover.

2. He will be gone in a year or less. The consequnces of taking the chief position out of civil service will last long after he leaves Wareham.

3. The interim chief mentioned that he has not experienced political interference since he has been here in Wareham. He has only been here a couple months so the opportunity for him to clash with the selectmen has not presented itself. Since he is only part-time and temporary, the selectmen would be wise to avoid confrontation. The selectmen are waiting patiently with evil and spiteful plans in mind. Once the chief position is taken out of civil service they can then place their man or woman of choice into the chief position.

4. The interim chief has obviously had the good fortune of working with great selectmen in North Andover who don't play dirty politics, He probably does not realize how important civil service protection is to a chief serving in this town and under this board of selectmen.

#64 2009-10-18 11:49:28

TBL...well said. Thank you.

#65 2009-10-18 12:40:14

Bravo TBL!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com