#1 2009-09-02 09:08:36

BREAKING NEWS!

Ham has heard that the new accountant is noneother than the daughter of the man that was just hired to assist Marybeth Fernandes (Mr. Moderator's sister, Mrs. Selectwoman's Sister-in-law) with her Fire District Clerk/Treasurer duties.  (You remember there was debate earlier this year about whether to make her position elected or appointed).  A Donahue relative got an assistant, and the assistant's daughter without an accountant's degree got the town accountant's job, so Ham heard.

No more midnight hirings!  The people of Wareham demand that interviews of all department heads be done in the public eye!  No more jobs for BOS buddies!  No more jobs for BOS buddies!

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-09-02 19:40:55)

#2 2009-09-02 13:34:47

..and Marybeth's niece is her secretary!!..sounds like Howie Carr's hackerama hotline!!

#3 2009-09-02 14:47:15

Another reason why we need to take a close look at the make up of the administrative staff. I was very curious when I found out she was hired without an accounting degree (the qualifications were seeking an MBA "preferred"), but now there is a connection, so it makes sense.

#4 2009-09-02 15:12:31

I just got an email from the King of metaphors. Of course, he must have called his best friend and boss, Bruce. He disputes the story about the new accountant being related to the Donahues. Regardless, she still did not meet the qualifications, so I stand by my post. If that isn't the connection, there is another connection. She didn't just walk in off the street.

Here's a fact: Slager monitors this site 24/7. If this site was a person, he would be arrested for stalking! it must be a sorry life to sit and monitor a specific website the ENTIRE DAY. Who is out reporting the news? Maybe he's waiting for that "life changing" information or for K&P to finish going over the audit with a fine tooth comb? Oh! I forgot, they didn't have the material!

Maybe he should investigate whether letters were sent to the residents of Maple Springs Road before the speed limit was changed or before they work on the road? Bruce said that is the way things should be done when he was talking about Hathaway Road. That would be much better news than monitoring this site.

#5 2009-09-02 15:22:00

my gaud THESE DONAHUE S ARE INBREEDERS

#6 2009-09-02 15:46:37

More emails from Stay at home Dad Slager. Apparently he is now counting my posts, which is interesting since he has never had strong math skills. Since I've joined in July, I've made 543 posts and that averages to 11 a day, so I need to get a life. Oookay, anyway, thank you for watching out for me Robert Slager!

#7 2009-09-02 15:51:52

Isn't it great you don't have to use the phone, Larry?
Posting is so much nicer, and you can take your time and talk to a lot of people almost at once. Nice technology.
It's also good that you have a good job and can afford to spend as much time as you'd like on this site and post when you feel like it.
It's nice that you have a stable life and enjoy it to the fullest.
I don't believe you have to get a life, I think you already have a life...and a very good one.

#8 2009-09-02 16:35:52

Thanks Dan,
Liz just got home and the answer is yes, she got it. I have to take a break from my life to take a nap. To be honest, I did more this morning than a normal day of work. Went to UMass-Dartmouth to buy books for my son (don't ask, I'm broke now!), went to the Cape with my family (my sister and her friends are still here) to hit a few great stores and visit the beach, JFK memorial and Korean War Memorial. If I could get motivated to clean the grills, smoker, and boil barrels, I might tackle that this evening.

Damn this vacation, it's more work than work!

#9 2009-09-02 16:44:34

Since I've joined in July, I've made 543 posts and that averages to 11 a day, so I need to get a life. Oookay, anyway, thank you for watching out for me Robert Slager!

I'd love to see the stats for MsLilly, AngelJoe, and others.  I wonder if he's going to insult the people on his site as well, or if he reserves that for people who prove him wrong....

#10 2009-09-03 00:58:05

ham has another jeer!!!!!!!!!

#11 2009-09-03 08:47:39

molly i believe you asked about the hiring policy a few days ago maybe it was marny i am not sure this is what i found on the town website..

Town of Wareham
Board of Selectmen
54 Marion Road
Wareham, MA  02571

PROCEDURE FOR FILLING POSITIONS OF TOWN EMPLOYMENT - POLICY 08-01

In accordance with the Wareham Home Rule Charter (7-8, 4-2, 6-5) and with general hiring principles, the following will be the established procedure for filling positions that become available within Wareham’s Town Government.

Whenever a vacancy occurs, or is about to occur in any town office…or town employment, except for positions covered under the state civil service law or otherwise provided for under a collective bargaining agreement, the appointing authority shall, forthwith, cause public notice of such vacancy, or impending vacancy, to be posted on the town bulleting board….[7-8]
The appointing authority shall also cause the vacancy, or impending vacancy, to be advertised in a local newspaper of general circulation within the town.  It is the responsibility of the appointing authority to receive quotes to determine where the advertisement is to be placed.  The advertisement need not appear in more than one edition.
If the position is a department head or other salaried position, the appointing authority shall also cause the vacancy (or impending vacancy) to be advertised in a trade magazine and or trade website (such as the MMA.org).  The vacancy shall be advertised for at least ten days.
Any person who desires to be considered for appointment to the said office or employment may, within ten days following the date notice was posted, file with the appointing authority, a statement setting forth in clear and specific terms his qualifications for the office or employment. [7-8] If there is a discrepancy between the posting date and advertising date, the latter date shall be used in order to give the applicants the greater opportunity to apply.
No permanent appointment to fill a vacancy in a town office or town employment shall be effective until at least fourteen (14) days have elapsed following such posting or advertising (the latter of the two) and until all persons who have filed statements shall have been considered. [7-8]
Appointments made by the town administrator shall become effective on the fifteenth day following the day on which notice of the appointment is filed with the board of selectmen, unless the board shall within said period, by a majority of the full board, vote to reject any such appointment, or sooner to affirm it.[4-2(b)]  Notice is considered given to the board of selectmen when a written statement is delivered to and stamped in as received by the selectmen’s office for each selectman.     
The notice shall include the name of the person to which the offer of employment was made and accepted by, the proposed contract specifics such as the title of the position, the wages, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.  All such contracts proposed by the town administrator shall be subject to final approval and execution by the board of selectmen [4-2(n)]. 
All appointments and promotions in the town service shall be solely made on the basis of merit and fitness demonstrated by examination or other evidence of competence and suitability to perform the duties of the office or the employment. [6-5]  No town employee shall receive additional consideration for a position by virtue of their employment with the town. 

Date adopted:  May 6, 2008

WAREHAM BOARD OF SELECTMEN

James L. Potter, Chairman
Bruce D. Sauvageau, Clerk
Brenda Eckstrom
John P. Cronan
M. Jane Donahue

#12 2009-09-03 08:51:44

LIZdaGNOME wrote:

the appointing authority shall, forthwith, cause public notice of such vacancy, or impending vacancy, to be posted on the town bulleting board….[7-8]

Perfect. The town firing squad.

#13 2009-09-03 09:46:24

[Whenever a vacancy occurs, or is about to occur in any town office…or town employment, except for positions covered under the state civil service law or otherwise provided for under a collective bargaining agreement, the appointing authority shall, forthwith, cause public notice of such vacancy, or impending vacancy, to be posted on the town bulleting board….[7-8]

So the obvious question is why did the BOS not post and pursue filling the vacancy with a "qualified" TA for more than a year ?  ANSWER:  So they can control the administration/management of operations.
Another violation of the Town Charter !

#14 2009-09-03 10:18:48

Perhaps the word "forthwith" is too confusing for this bos.

I agree with you Bob. The delays in ALL the hirings, not just the TA's has been so that this board can interfere with day to day running of departments. They learned pretty quickly that you can't push around a quality TA like John McAuliffe and force him to do something he considered wrong or harmful to the town. So, putting the current ITA in for more than a year---while their shenanigans--read computer audit, firing of accountant and police lt., not hiring a library director, on and on----could take place is telling.

We will learn, no doubt by the spin controllers, that by not hiring right away we saved a lot of money--I say it was to the detriment of the departments where the hirings were delayed.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com