#1 2009-08-29 09:22:50

Early this morning (around 12:30 am) LizdaGnome was banned from the Wareham Observer. This was shortly after Robert Slager read this site and noticed my post about visiting a liquor store and I described his newspaper as kittylitterliner. He, of course, called me out because he knew of one liquor store who had his paper on the counter and they didn't sell kittylitterliner. He asked her in a message on his site to ask me where I went, she told him she wasn't his secretary or mine. If he wanted ask me, he should email me or ask me himself. Shortly there after, she came in and showed me the exchange. It was at that point we both burst out laughing and questioned his ability to comprehend what was written and the laughter started. I posted a few times about the incident. Liz also posted what he asked on his site. I guess the embarrassment was too much and she was banned from his site.

I want to point out a couple things, just so people that do read this site can determine the double standard used here.

This is his statement about daily chat on his site:

The site will be fully moderated, which means at times there will be a slight lag for comment approval. As long as people remain civil, truthful, and don't defame anyone, all comments will be approved (that is the standard for all reader comments under all posts). Spam messages on the same subject will also be prohibited. Anyone who repeatedly violates these terms of service will be banned from the site, with a prorated amount of their remaining subscription returned to them.

I'm sure he is going to point out that we weren't civil. I didn't call him a moron, even though he deserves it. He doesn't allow personal attacks, but I actually have quite a few personal attacks in my files from his posters. What he is TRULY saying is, no personal attacks against the moderator or his minions. It's okay if they attack other people (such as myself, HAM, casual, or Liz). He was twist this and offer explanations that are one sided, but the truth is, he made a fool of himself last night, and he went off the deep end.

Congrats to LizdaGnome! Banned from Slager's site for not being his secretary! Woohoo!

#2 2009-08-29 10:16:34

Larry, can you or LizdaGnome post the comments she put on Slager's blog so we can see whether there's any way he can back up her not being civil and/or truthful, and her not defaming anybody?

#3 2009-08-29 10:24:57

of course he will issue a refund for the balance of the month immediately................................

#4 2009-08-29 10:26:03

sorry not a parrot just didnt see the refund comments on the other thread

#5 2009-08-29 10:39:47

Larry, that was seriously what got him upset?  She wouldn't tell him which liquor store sells kitty litter liners?  As I recall, your comment didn't say the store had kitty litter liners, you were calling his paper a kitty litter liner.  (So technically, the store had Ragserver Brand Kitty Litter Liners).

We've all been calling his paper a bird cage liner, a kitty litter liner, a fish wrapper, etc...I guess the fumes in his new office are damaging his brain cells.  Flush, Bobo, flush!

This is an outrage to free speech!  But not surprising.  Don't you know the Ragman is an advocate of free speech, as long as he agrees with it? 

I'd imagine the banning was motivated by 1) someone with an ego that big can't take disagreement and 2) he doesn't want his subscribers' moronic and disturbing ramblings posted on this site so the whole world can see what they're really all about.

At least the whole world can see what we post here.  And they aren't charged 5 bucks a month nor do they have to agree with everything.

#6 2009-08-29 10:55:20

BOBO CLAIMS HE IS ALWAYS FOR FREE SPEECH BUT NOT WHEN YOU SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT OBSERVERMEDIA. HOPE YOU GET YOUR 5 BUCKS BACK.

#7 2009-08-29 10:57:31

This was Larry's quote:

"Just a side note, I stopped by a liquor store today (I know what you are thinking...i needed bier to cook the brats) and they had a few copies of the Wareham Pravda at the counter. Some guy picked up the kitty box liner and he laughed and put it back down...Now that was one of the funniest things I saw all day."

And this is what DaGnome was banned over?  Because he demanded to know which liquor store sells kitty box liners?  Oh God, he's such a dumbass.  He must have been sitting there in his new bathroom office, saying "Aha!  I finally caught them in a lie!  No liquor store sells kitty box liners!"

Bobo, do I need to find you a School House Rock episode on metaphors? HE WAS CALLING YOUR PAPER A KITTY BOX LINER!!!  In other words, the only thing your paper is good for is to have kitties take big steamy dumps on it!

Oh God, Ragman.  You are funny.  Too bad you're not trying to be.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-08-29 10:59:25)

#8 2009-08-29 11:17:29

SPECIAL HOMEWORK LESSON FOR BOBO:

SIMILIS AND METAPHORS

Similis and metaphors are used to compare a thing to something else. 

When a person uses a simile, they preface the comparison with "like" or "as."

If Larry had said, "Bobo's paper is like a kitty liner" then he would have been using a simile.

When a person uses a metaphor, they say the thing IS the thing they are comparing it to.

Larry used a metaphor when he said Bobo's paper "is a kitty liner."

Saturday's Homework:  Work with your Simile and Metaphor tutors, Bobo:

#9 2009-08-29 12:22:19

THE FUNNIEST THING ABOUT THIS IS SLAGER HIMSELF CRITIZED BILL WHITEHOUSE FOR BANNING WAREHAMPROHPETES (FORMER SCHOOL COMM CANDIDATE) WHO SAID THAT GOD WAS WORKING TO CLEAR CORRUPTION IN TOWN BY GIVING PEOPLE CANCER. WHITEHOUSE DID THE RIGHT THING AND BANNED HER. SLAGER CRITIZED BILLW FOR DOING THIS AND SAID THAT WAS HER FREEDOM OF SPEECH. NOW HE BANS SOMEONE WHO CALLS HIS PAPER KITTYLITTERLINER AND SHE GETS BANNED. SLAGER YOU ARE TRULY AN IDIOT.

#10 2009-08-29 15:43:43

Slager has a history of comprehension problems . Two that come to mind are, 1. 501(C)3 foundations, and,2. metaphors.

With respect to 501(C) 3 foundations, I urged him, 'way back when I was dealing with him as if he was normal, that if he and the BOS would just read and internalize the substance of that statute,very same one that protects, for example, the endowments at MIT and Harvard from  The City of Cambridge, the whole library mess would go away. I repeated that plea  three more times before  I got it through my head that this guy is not pulling a full train.   Even as recently as this week he is still ranting  about the WFL Foundation as if it is composed of taxpayer funds. Even when he "knows" he pretends not to know.

Now switch to my metaphor history with Slager.

I've always subscribed to Robert Frost's definition: "A metaphor is meaning one thing and saying something else."

I've also always been generous with them as a teaching device, and three years ago  I sent him the timeless Greek  myth about the tragic story of Icarus  flying too close to the sun , which melted  the wax that held feathers to his homemade wings , causing him to fall to the ground .

My naive aim was to try to make Slager understand that as he was getting bolder and bolder with  his words he was getting closer and closer to  the collapse of his   journalistic enterprise.

How did he react?   He tried to build a case that I was threatening his life...that I was going to come in a black helicopter in the middle of the night, take him up to 500 feet and push him out.I'm not kidding you!

Now, I don't want to discount his  paranoid reaction as  a scenario without considerable merit, but it wasn't even faintly what I had in mind as someone  trying to get him to see himself as others were seeing him.

Silly me. He took the letter to the police station and showed to a cop who  loved the Greek myths when he was in school and waved him off. So then he took it to The 4th District Court and... lo and behold...  apparently found  a political appointee who gave the matter legs, and the next thing I know, there's a sheriff in my kitchen  handing me a document that said that I had to appear in court to defend myself  against his charge of a death threat . As I was reading it, jaw agape, the sheriff was  pointing a twirling finger toward  his temple: "He's a nutcase"

I've always supported the axiom,"He who acts as his own lawyer has a fool for a client", so I  found myself a lawyer....Not just any old lawyer , but a lawyer proud of her Greek heritage ,a lover of the Greek myths, and who was well aquainted with the 4th District Court.

When the day of the magistate's hearing came, we went into the small hearing room ,and just to show that I bore no ill will against against him I snuggled into a seat right beside Slager, who of course was defending himself, at which point  both Slagers leaped to their feet feet and yelled something like, "He's invading my space!"

That cooked his goose (omygawd ..another metaphor), but it got better.  Slager, the fool who was representing Slager, tried to point out how my relating this story was a threat to his client's life. He was in his Raymond Burr role, although there's no evidence that Burr drooled  as "Ironsides" or as Perry Mason. At one point the magistrate had to hold the file folder in front of his face, so pathetically humorous was Slager's  over the top  raving.

After deliberating for maybe 4 or 5 seconds the magistrate slam dunked  Slager. The ball never touched the rim. Swish.

The look on Slager's face and the way he spluttered about The Supreme Court as his next stop,  and the way he waddled out of the court like a fat goose ahead of a farmer with an ax,  almost made the $1,500  bucks it had cost me worthwhile.

The bottom line is that dealing with Slager with any hope of converting him has as much promise as trying to convince a "birther" that Obama is a "real American", or  trying to persuade the South Dartmouth woman who verbally  accosted Barney Frank that the president isn't a Nazi. He's hopeless. Mock him, but  don't let him "get under your skin .

#11 2009-08-29 22:50:40

Oh Boy, Mr. Wheeler, you just got a 20 page jeer.  Hold on, I have to go put on a pot of coffee and make a sandwich just to get through this Bobo rant.

#12 2009-08-29 23:03:15

Bobo, give it a rest.  If it's against the law to tell Greek myths, then lock up every teacher on the planet.  I can't remember how many times I sat in a class listening to a teacher go on and on about Zeus, Hercules, Pegasus, the Minotaur, etc. etc.  They're not real, Bobo.  Greek Myths can't hurt you.

#13 2009-08-29 23:44:01

SUPREME COURT HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. SLAGER YOUR A NUTJOB

#14 2009-08-29 23:44:23

http://rtone.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/daedalus-and-icarus.jpg

PShooter

#15 2009-08-30 00:54:36

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first time he's ever talked about chicken feathers?  The Icarus thing happened what, over two years ago, and now, many years later he adds a new part to the story that he never mentioned before? He seems to be the king of doing that.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-08-30 00:55:14)

#16 2009-08-30 06:26:18

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THE CHICKEN FEATHERS. ALTHOUGH SLAGER CLAIMED THAT HE NEVER TOOK ACTION AGAINST WHEELER IN COURT UNTIL I REMINDED HIM HE WROTE ABOUT IT IN HIS PAPER LOL. THEN HE BEGAN TALKING ABOUT IT. OH YEAH SLAGER WE BELIEVE YOUR VERSION OF THE INCIDENT BECAUSE YOU ARE SO TRUTHFUL HA  HA HA HA HA

#17 2009-08-30 07:57:11

1) People play fast a loose with copyright law on blogs and often publish emails and other material without permission. However in Dick's 8/15/07 email to Slager he states "  PS You do not have my permission to print any part of this....RCW ". Now Slager put the entire email online.

2) Dick was exercising his right to protest, chicken feathers on the street instead of tea into the harbor. Kudos for creativity. About the only infraction I can see is littering.

3) Rashomon effect: quite interesting to read Dick and Slager's account of the very same incident in the courtroom.

4) Who's mentally unstable? Without quotes I'll take Dick's word about Slager's fearing his life was being threatened. Slager seem to be a bit mixed up if he confuses black helicopters which in paranoid-world are used to spy on ordinary citizens with the Huey gunship helicopters said to have been used to actually intimidate VC by threatening to throw them out at 500 feet or actually doing so to one of their buddies.

5) On understanding how figures of speech and the way words are used as a literary devices: anyone who considers themselves a professional writer should fully understand the major ones. As I recalled I learned about them in high school: metaphor, simile, paradox, irony, satire, hyperbole, oxymoron and a few more.

(Look at the list of tropes on Wikipedia and see how many you know. )

#18 2009-08-30 13:10:04

Great story Mr. Wheeler! I wanted to say Mr. Slager was embarrassed because he didn't catch my metaphor and we did laugh a great deal at him. That may have been behind the ban, but I think her telling him she wasn his secretary (or mine) may also have played a part.

I could sit here and recap all the ways he "supports" free speech (that is sarcasm, just in case he is reading this), but it would just fall on deaf ears.

It has been wonderful to not read his site or see the lamebrain comments made in his daily chat, so I should be thanking him. Liz seems calmer, so that is a big plus!

Now, the recap of last night and the festivities for today! We had a wonderful lobster/crab boil with family and friends. It also included bacon wrapped scallops and marinated steak tips on the grill, boiled shrimp and crawfish! I wonderful time was had by all!

The hickory smoked pork has been pulled (for today) and bbq sauce is made. Soon we will fire up the grills and then it's hamburgers, hotdogs, garlic cheese sausage, linguica, bratwurst (boiled in beer, garlic, and onion), chinese sausage, 'tater salad, pasta salad, seafood salad(home made), jag, slaw, and who knows what else! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

#19 2009-08-30 13:14:06

Stop the posting and start the cooking.....getting hungry just reading

#20 2009-08-30 13:58:10

Damn, Larry..wish I was there...

#21 2009-08-30 14:41:04

Larry and Liz, glad to hear you are enjoying being rag-free. It really makes a difference.

#22 2009-08-30 15:56:26

Classic Slager:  Although  I seem to have been the inspiration for the  alleged-suspect chicken feathers, I wasn't the perp. I didn't know what he was sputtering about for over a year , when a person sidled up to me  on the way out of a TM and told me that he got a big kick out of the Icarus myth flap  and that he had added to it   by scattering the feathers and wings of a sea gull he found on the beach around  what we will soon be calling The Slobsever Memorial Building...complete with a  brass  plaque saying: "Robert Slager slept here in 2009"

The "classic Slager" part of this is that he went from the fact that I raise chickens to the "fact" that the feathers  strewn around his office were from chickens and the "fact" that I was the one who had put them there.

Wrong on both counts. I didn't know what he was talking about for over a year, when a person came up to me as I was leaving a TM and told me that he got a kick out of the Icarus episode and  that he had followed it up by spreading the feathers and wings of a  dead seagull  around the building  we'll be calling The Observer Memorial Building with a little brass plaque with words:"Robert Slager slept here."
The Icarus myth is an apt metaphor for the rise and fall of a Robert Slager enterprise ; the way he has responded to it is a metaphor for Robert Slager the man.

#23 2009-08-30 16:34:42

Dick, I guess if you'ld have used Sisyphus to try and tutor Bobo, and he'd found a rock (or beachball) outside his office. You'ld have been in it DEEP.

http://salonvansisyphus.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/1sisyphus.jpg

PShooter

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com