#1 2009-08-18 18:41:27

Qualified librarians from the area probably already know all about the political swamp that is Wareham government and that they'd be wading right into the sucking muck of it as a department head. If they don't and are reading this I suggest they review other thread such as this one about the woman the selectmen chose as the acting library director.

Librarians who would have to move here are probably members of the profession most familiar with using the Internet for research. They probably already found this website but to make their job easier, like I did with the thread for Wareham Police Department, I'm starting a brand new thread with the name Wareham Library Director Search.

My suggestion to any librarians who aren't from nearby and are considering this job is they call anyone they know who works in libraries in our area and ask about what the town has done to the Wareham library.

Any librarian who accepts a job should have an iron clad contract and a written agreement that the BoS will not try to tell them how to to their jobs. The trustees don't micromanage and certainly the BoS shouldn't.

From what I can tell none of them know a thing about running a library, otherwise they wouldn't have made Marsha Griswold acting director.  Just like with police chiefs, there are retired library directors in the area who might be happy to earn some extra money.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#2 2009-08-18 19:53:47

this BOARD OF SELECTMAN CANT RUN ANYTHING THEY ARE STUPID AND IGNORANT   AND WILL TRY TO MICRO MANAGE THE NEW LIBRIAN,  HEY HOW ABOUT FAT ASS PEZOLI FOR LIBRIAN SHE WILL SIT ON A STOLL AT THE FRONT DESK AND EAT DONUTS , AND MAYBE SHE WILL MANAGE THE LIBRARY IF SHE DOESNT FALL OFF THE STOOL FIRST.

#3 2009-08-23 21:21:37

I saw recently the Dartmouth Library Director position has been posted.

Pop quiz - You're a librarian of library director caliber looking for a position in the South Shore/South Coast area.  You can work in Dartmouth, or in Wareham, where the goons that run the joint and their pet reporter steadfastly believe that the library system is evil, from the lowest librarian all the way up to the state library commission.

Which town would be your first choice?

#4 2009-08-24 07:57:46

What I want to know is what is taking so long to get a new library director? We heard that the town would have a new director by the end of July and it is now the end of August. They claimed to have 12 applications. Any professional will need to give a couple weeks notice. So if they announced a new hire this week it would still be mid or late September before a new director was hired. I don't know how M. Griswold is doing at the library, but we all know she doesn't have a library degree and she has a full time job which means she must be very busy trying to run both departments well. That's not fair to anyone involved including the taxpayers.

This is typical of this bos. They get applicants and it takes FOREVER to fill positions. Those of us who have been in the position to hire someone knows that once you close the application period, you should have your hire in place within weeks.

We pay our taxes so that our departments are run by qualified people. Still no TA, still no Library Director. Still no Police Chief, still no town planner.

We should demand these new hires. We deserve to have the most qualified employees--meaning with appropriate degrees, good recommendations, established job history etc.--as soon as possible.

#5 2009-08-24 09:39:39

Will this be another midnight hire, behind the scenes with no public input?  Just one day they announce, "here's who you got, chumps, and don't ask any questions about how they got here."  That's been the process for the past several hires.

#6 2009-08-24 10:12:36

Sanguinet said there would be a committee including a librarian from an area town to hire the new library director. That's actually a good move, having an experienced librarian weigh in on another librarian's creds and interview behavior.

Maybe they are doing this, but that's not what I heard. I just can't figure out why they aren't moving quickly to get a qualified librarian in there.

This bos claim TRANSPARENCY all the time. If they are putting off important hires to save money----as in not paying someone a salary and making another person do two jobs for the price of one---tell us that. Be honest.

What's the big secret?

I want a fully qualified TA and a fully qualified Police Chief and a fully qualified Town Planner and a fully qualified Library Director. I am a taxpayer and I want to see fiscal responsibility from our bos.

Since I don't read the rag, I have no idea what he's writing except what I read here, but wouldn't a REAL reporter who LOVES this town be asking these questions???? What does he do at the bos meeting other than taking sappy photos and chit chatting with his buds?

Maybe we need to get the ST on this. The globe already ran that piece a couple of weeks ago and mentioned all the vacancies.

#7 2009-08-24 11:51:51

Molly wrote:

We pay our taxes so that our departments are run by qualified people. Still no TA, still no Library Director. Still no Police Chief, still no town planner.

-SARCASM ALERT-

Who needs 'em? Think of all the $$$ they're saving us by not paying those salaries. Hey, maybe the Sox or Pats should adopt this tactic. They could save a bundle without having to pay some of those high priced ingrates. Belichick has a pretty good arm, and Tito can still hit pretty good. Don't jump the gun on this, they could be on to something.

PShooter

#8 2009-08-24 18:08:54

Molly… Not filling the jobs is a way for them to save money. It took them 9 or 10 months to fill Bell’s job at the COA. It been over a year for the TA, I have no idea about the town planner it seems like forever. Think of how much money they have saved. I think if they filled all the jobs, the town would go broke. They refuse to give the finance committee any info. It’s a shell game; they just keep moving the money around.

Don’t worry about Marcia; she’s still having what’s left of her staff do all the work. She’s still taking 2 hour lunches so she can’t be that busy.

I do wonder about all the positions that have been filled at the COA. Janet Smith Rushton quit last November. She was social day center coordinator; she was replaced by someone on staff.  The part time dispatcher that quit has been replaced by 2 people one of whom does not even work for the town. The clerk that quit has been replaced by one of the part time dispatchers (who still works part time as a dispatcher). There is new person who does some intake and  some social work. This is a new job created by Marcia, it was NEVER posted. Not one of these 4 jobs has been posted. Rushton’s job is the only full time job. The other 3 jobs are part time. Do all full time and part time jobs have to be posted? If you work for the town full time or part time do you have to live in Wareham?

#9 2009-08-24 18:41:06

Rushton's job was filled by the former Social Worker Debra ?. Who had applied for he Directors job and has all the qualifications. she was not liked by the BOS and did not get it. the Person that is doing part time dispatcher is part of the Senior Aid Federal program and is a former police dept. employee that was laid off. And Marcia is not around most of the time find Larry and you will find Marcia.

#10 2009-08-25 08:15:00

Thanks for the info kinsailman. Does anyone know what the rules are on posting town jobs? Do part time clerical jobs have to be posted? If a new job is created doesn’t that have to be posted?

Molly…. They could take 4 or 5 months to replace the director at the library. I thought I heard butt monkey say Marcia could be interim for up to a year. Marcia could do the same thing at the library she has done at the COA, be rude and intimidating to the staff so they quit. The employees that are left REALLY need their jobs, so they put up with her abuse. If she can fill the empty slots at the COA without posting the jobs, she can do the same at the library. She doesn’t know anything about running a library, she doesn’t even like the library or any of the people involved with the library. The least they could have done was hire someone part time who had some experience in running a library.

#11 2009-08-26 16:12:24

I am willing to bet money that the whole point of this is because the BOS has ZERO intentions of keeping the library open. However, Marcia does have a union contract to contend with so the posting requirements for those positions are contractual. With that said I strongly suspect that she will do whatever she wants prompting litigation from the union and costing us more money. Thanks again bozos.

#12 2009-08-26 19:18:02

iliveinazoo.... Do you know if part time clerical jobs at the COA or any town dept have to be posted? Marcia has created a new job, the part time social worker. shouldn't that job have been posted? I understand the need for an intake person and social worker, I think the job should have been posted instead of hiring someone they knew.

I have also heard that although Marcia was given money at the last town meeting (the revolving account) she has given half of that money back to the ITA. Although money was approved for new computers they have not shown up yet. I just have a gut feeling the money is being moved around like a shell game.

#13 2009-08-26 20:13:08

as far as the job postings wasnt there a big toodo about promoting within vs outside advertising for jobs a while back???

#14 2009-08-26 21:33:35

That could be Liz I don't remember reading anything about it. I just assumed all town jobs full or part time have to be posted. I could be wrong.

#15 2009-08-27 08:20:10

I don't know what the town policy is about posting part-time jobs but I do know what is fair.

Many people count on part-time jobs. They aren't merely rewards to be handed out to your friends.

There should at least be a level playing field for advertising the job and having a variety of applicants since it's naive to think the best person will always be hired when politics and favoritism come into play.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com