#1 2009-08-11 21:03:59

The following emails were sent to me by Warehamobserver@aol.com I share them with you, and local business owners, to show what Observer Media is all about and their behind the scene tactics to try and silence critics. Unless you pay him in advertising dollars he just mistates the truth about you and your groups. Well here they are....words speak very loudly and business owners and advertisers don't need anonymous letters to stop peddling this guys trash. Here is Observer Media and Mr Slager in their own words:

From: Warehamobserver@aol.com [mailto:Warehamobserver@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 12:46 AM
To: Holmes, Steve
Subject: Response

Dear Mr. Holmes,

I have stood by the past week and have allowed you to continue making a fool of yourself because I strongly believe in the First Amendment right of free speech. But there are a few things that need to be addressed.

First, your pathetic attempts to characterize what I wrote in my column as "race-baiting" has done nothing but solidify support for the Observer. While I was gone on a brief vacation with my family, I had 237 e-mails and 84 phone messages. Not a single person called to complain about your so-called "race-baiting" accusation. In fact, more than two dozen of these messages specifically thanked me for once again standing up for the Cape Verdean community.

I clearly was offering a hypothetical scenario to show how just how short-sighted Brady's plan actually was. Brady said only people who were unhappy with the current administration would be allowed to attend the meeting. The Cape Verdean community has strongly supported this administration in the past. If a large contingent of Cape Verdean residents were denied entry, would that constitute discrimination? I've spoken to hundreds of people since writing that, and almost all of them understood exactly what I mean. It is clear you have intentionally chosen to twist my words for your own political purposes.

A Cape Verdean couple independently reached the same conclusion I did. They were so upset they were willing to take out and ad to organize a peaceful protest. But apparently nobody in this community is allowed to hold an opposing viewpoint than yours. I suppose in your mind I should have silenced their viewpoint by not allowing them to speak or place the ad. That is the truly scare thing here, Mr. Holmes. You are so blinded by political partisanship you would actually engage in the kind of discrimination that I only raised as a hypothetical. And they you have the temerity to ask me to apologize?

I find you offensive, Mr. Holmes. Last summer a group of more than 100 Cape Verdean residents met to discuss concerns about perceived racial stereotyping by police. The Observer hadn't even written about the alleged policy brutality situation when that meeting was launched. We had absolutely nothing to do with it. So apparently the Cape Verdean residents in this community are capable of independent thought. I know that terrifies people like you. That's why you constantly try to silence such voices. Your voice must be the only one heard.

I am aware of your efforts to put the Observer out of business by harassing our distributors. Once again you have proven your disdain for freedom of speech in America. Apparently you will do anything, including hurting local businesses, to accomplish your goals.

Don't delude yourself, Mr. Holmes; that is exactly what you would be doing. Small businesses in this town rely on the Observer to get their messages out. Most of these people can't afford the high advertising rates of the other papers. Of course you don't care about that. You don't care about the free advertising I give to struggling businesses. You don't care about the tens of thousands of dollars I have donated to worthy causes in Wareham. You're simply doing what you are being told to do, and you don't even realize how badly you're being used.

You claim I am working with the selectmen. I'll tell you what: Present evidence that I have ever taken a dime from them in exchange for favorable coverage. If you can do that, I will close the Observer immediately.

You won't, of course. There is no evidence because I've never taken a dime from these people (unlike the Standard-Times, which accepted thousands of dollars from Brady). I just happen to agree that ending corruption in Wareham is a noble goal. I am far from the only person who feels that way. Change is very hard for some people, and this community is changing. It's changing for the better.

From where I'm standing, you are nothing but a cover-up artist, Mr. Holmes. You made an accusation of me last Thursday night. I will not respond in kind. But I will ask you a question - Are you being well paid for what you're doing? I can't imagine a person with even a ounce of pride doing the destructive things you are attempting to do. There must be another reason.

Despite all the underhanded tactics people like you have thrown at me I have managed to keep this paper alive for nearly three years. All people like you do is make me more determined to keep going. But I will never stoop as low you have. People have suggested boycotting your company as well as Stevie B's. I will never support such a thing. Despite what you may believe, more than 10,000 people read the Observer each week. If I was anywhere near as despicable as you, I could retaliate in a very effective way. But I have never retaliated against anyone and I never will.

That's what separates us, Mr. Holmes. That's what separates the good people in this town from the bad ones. And the really sad thing is you don't even know what side of that line you're standing behind.

You have my pity, Mr. Holmes. I can't imagine going through life knowing my soul was bought so easily.

Robert Slager

The night before the Onset Village stopped peddling this trash I received this lovely letter:

Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 11:54 PM
To: Holmes, Steve
Subject: How sad.

Mr. Holmes, how can you possibly believe the owners of the Onset Village Market are exercising their right of free speech by not selling the Observer? I spoke with the owner. They are terrified of losing business because of your fascist boycott. I guess that would make you a terrorist, wouldn't it? Their decision has nothing to do with free speech. You put them in this position through your threats and intimidation and then you have the audacity to try to justify your actions? You make me sick, Mr. Holmes. Go move to North Korea. You'd feel right at home there.

Then you actually suggest that maybe if I had a different viewpoint none of this would happen. My god, are you a twisted human being. Do you actually think I will be intimidated by someone like you? People like you are the reason I got into this business. Thank you for reminding me of that. When the results of this audit come out, please feel free to give me a call. Then you can apologize to me.

There you go, I'm sure he will send more, I know many business owners in Wareham, and his little Tri-Town area. My family has had ties to this area for many many years. They know my family to be good people and the fact some blogger decides that I am a terrorist is racist comment in it's own way.

So Mr Slager when I talk to these business owners, I use your words to help them make their decisions not mine.

If others have similar love letters please post them, make sure they are real, and I will include them in my packet as I visit businesses. I don't threaten businesses not to do business with them, I just offer Mr Slager's words and ask them if they would feel comfortable with their children reading his words?

Simple answer so far....absolutely not!!!

And for the record I DON'T SUPPORT A RECALL, NEVER HAVE!!!!

Post your letters here.

Also there is the challenge in the first letter rules for that coming out in another thread.

#2 2009-08-11 21:45:54

Okay, let's examine his support from the Cape Verdean community. In his paper was an advertisement for a peaceful protest and the ad was from Cape Verdeans for free speech.
Now, we all saw the "protest" before Bob's meeting. Do you recall anyone but Slager and Donahue peacefully protesting?

I find you offensive, Mr. Holmes. Last summer a group of more than 100 Cape Verdean residents met to discuss concerns about perceived racial stereotyping by police. The Observer hadn't even written about the alleged policy brutality situation when that meeting was launched. We had absolutely nothing to do with it.

What in the world does this have to do with what he wrote in his paper about the Brady meeting. It was a separate time and situation.

There is no evidence because I've never taken a dime from these people (unlike the Standard-Times, which accepted thousands of dollars from Brady).

Brady placed an advertisement in the newpaper, not sure how much it costs, but I'm pretty sure Slager is pissed because he didn't get the money. He does accept advertisement, so what the heck is he talking about?

Okay, I have to get up early, but PLEASE someone take over, this is too easy.

Steve, you have my emails. Do with them what you want. This man is nothing more than a pile of dirt that needs to be swept up in a dust pan.

#3 2009-08-11 22:25:33

Slager I find you offensive

#4 2009-08-11 22:30:57

what does the audit have to do with you steve?

#5 2009-08-11 22:38:42

I have no idea what the audit has to do with any of this.

#6 2009-08-11 22:47:17

between him and john d i aska question and they load me with a sea of useless crap i wade thru it to find an answer and quess what no answer when i keep on asking slager ignores me tells me about my political agenda and how i just want to ruin his paper he has also called me a political opperative for the porolas, hate blogger political facist, bob brady political etc you get the picture i am busier than the president..

#7 2009-08-12 08:21:50

You are just the cutest Gnome! No one would ever accuse you of being a political operative.  :)

#8 2009-08-12 08:53:18

daGNOME is not a disguise that really is me..

#9 2009-08-12 08:54:03

I know, i've patted your head a few times....how did the audition for the travelocity gnome go? :)

#10 2009-08-12 09:12:44

searay240,

It's evident that your Bobo friend has a double standard.  While on one hand he suggests that because I spent mone(not "thousands") for the invitation ad, I'm receiving favorable reporting from the S-t.  But there is "evidence" that The Wareham Observer has received "several thousands" of dollars as the go to publication for Wareham's legal notices like town meeting, personnel vacancies, planning board hearings and tax title takings to name a few.  So of course he has to give the BOS favorable reporting otherwise they will pull his life line and their mouthpiece.

As to the Cape Verde "support" he speaks of, please note that if it weren't for "John T Donahue Associates's" political effort then Sweet Brucey, Brenda and Cronan wouldn't have got elected.  Niether of them have what it takes to run a successful campaign.  They all needed the DTC to pull it off.  I'll suggest that after Mr. Donahue's "race baiting" attempt that he's losing his Cape Verde support.  They are intelligent people and can finally see through his BS.  How many of those same supporters showed up to the peaceful protest ?  Not one.

Last edited by bbrady (2009-08-12 09:42:56)

#11 2009-08-12 09:30:42

As usual Shakespeare has it covered:

Hamlet,Act 3, Scene 2,

"The lady (sic) doth protesteth too much, methinks!"

Hey, theres no truth to the ugly rumor that Will and I grew up together. I may be old, but......

#12 2009-08-12 09:36:53

bbrady wrote:

searay240,

It's evident that your Bobo friend has a double standard.
While on one hand he suggests that because I spent money (not "thousands") for the invitation ad, I'm receiving favorable
reporting from the S-t.  But there is "evidence" that The
Wareham Observer has received "several thousands" of
dollars as the go to publication for Wareham's legal notices
like town meeting, personnel vacancies, planning board hearings
and tax title takings to name a few.  So of course he has to give
the BOS favorable reporting otherwise they will pull his life line and
their mouthpiece.

on this note i have confronted him about his coverage of MSR and a lisa bindas she advertises in his paper she also gave to selectmans campaigns and not once has the BOS OR SLAGER asked any of the other 9 residents of which 2 are only summer homes what they thought or thier opinion and these 9 houses are directly on MSR... his answer he wasnt bias he ran a couple of adds around christmas..
he also came out with a libray story at 215isham with quotes from bruce s. then he wrote another later in the day stating he called bruce at 715am. HOW THE HELL DID HE GET A 715 QUOTE AT 215ISH?? his answer he had added more to the story when more info was made to him.. bs i saved the original copies.
on a side note he has told me several times in open dialogue on his site for all to read i am stealing and violating his copyright by posting contents of his paper but our town moderator takes an an placed by someone else and has a mass email(not his moderators account) and slager never says a word to him political bias.. it is there in black and white...

#13 2009-08-12 09:39:10

Bob,
They are losing support. They may not admit it, but it is ebbing away with each day they justify what they did as "for the people". The Selectmen will not come out and say it was wrong, Slager won't acknowledge he did anything wrong, and John Donahue is just plain stupid.

Slager will be shut down when he loses his best buddy, Brucie. He may have to get out and actually find news to report!

#14 2009-08-12 11:12:38

Liz stated above that "on a side note he has told me several times in open dialogue on his site for all to read i am stealing and violating his copyright by posting contents of his paper but our town moderator takes an an placed by someone else and has a mass email(not his moderators account) and slager never says a word to him political bias.. it is there in black and white..."

I believe that as long as you indicate that you are quoting someone as I just did, you are not violating the copyright. Some of you readers of the rag---can you find anyplace where slager quotes one of the other papers in his stories? I know I have seen that in the past when I was a reader of the rag. And if he lifts some of his stories from the other papers---and I have seen this done--without quoting the source, that is very bad.

I wouldn't worry but always be sure to say things like slager stated, or according to ragboy, etc.

Last edited by Molly (2009-08-12 11:13:18)

#15 2009-08-12 11:14:13

molly thanks..

#16 2009-08-12 11:17:13

I'm intrigued by the editor of the on line paper claiming that the audio tape of the meeting last week, because no one was advised or gave permission to be taped, is a felony.
HUH?
Cite the chapter and section of any State of Federal law that denotes recording a public meeting a felony.
Anyone?
Of course not.

#17 2009-08-12 11:23:56

It's also funny Dan that he argued (even threatend legal action by "dozens of his readers") that it was an "open meeting" because it was in a public building.
Now, in an attempt to support an "illegal" act, he's calling it a private meeting,
which convicts him as a tresspasser.  He's pathetic.  He & Co. thinks he truly
intimidates folks with his BS.

#18 2009-08-12 11:41:16

I knew it wouldn't be long as he lurks for his writing material.
And Slager asks:

"Hello, Mr. Brady. Just curious. Was your "community" meeting public or private? You claimed it was private. Is that still your position? If so, any recording of the meeting without permission of the audience is an illegal wiretapping. That's a felony in Massachusetts. Stop trying to spin it on Whitehouse's web site. It's a direct question. Do you have the courage to answer it directly? Was your meeting public or private?"

Robert Slager

LET ME THINK...Do I have the "courage" ?  YES, but I don't have time for his BS.  Oh well,  he'll just have to print his BS without me as he does with or without a comment

#19 2009-08-12 11:48:12

Nice try Bobo... Let me guess, you're going to threaten me or whoever recorded it, unbeknownst to me ?  Go for it big guy.

"The reason I ask, Mr. Brady, is if it was a public meeting (which has always been my position) you violated the civil rights of anyone who was prevented from attending. If it was a private meeting (which you contend) recording it without permission of audience members is illegal wiretapping. So again I respectfully ask, which is it? Was the meeting public or private?"

Robert Slager

#20 2009-08-12 11:55:18

Anybody else here as scared as I guess I should be ?

Subj: "I beleive the phrase you're looking for is "uh-oh." 
Date: 8/12/2009 11:51:17 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
To: bbrady@onewareham.com

#21 2009-08-12 11:56:12

He should really concentrate on the news instead of being a lawyer. I think that is what Bruce and numbnuts have in common, they are both wannabe lawyers.

#22 2009-08-12 12:01:53

Hopefully this is the last of him and he'll go away but I doubt it.
He's a wanna be lawyer.  He knows all the laws.  I just wish he'd
apply half of them to the many violations by our current administration
and write about it.  Instead he'll change the subject and blame the "power elite" or CBW or the hate bloggers.  Who are the "power elite" anyway ?
I would like to meet them as I hear so much about their group.

Subj: (no subject) 
Date: 8/12/2009 11:55:03 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Sent from the Internet (Details)

"One last thing. Since I didn't speak at your meeting, I wasn't a victim of an illegal wire-tapping. I am asking on behalf of somebody else who did speak."

(He's not signing it any more)

#23 2009-08-12 12:17:34

ok so from what i understand slager is the voice for someone who spoke out at the meeting right or wrong?
why if someone spoke at the meeting would they not ask bob directly? he gave a handout with a contact email on it?

#24 2009-08-12 12:20:45

"One last thing. Since I didn't speak at your meeting, I wasn't a victim of an illegal wire-tapping. I am asking on behalf of somebody else who did speak."

What the hell?  Doesn't wiretapping require...you know....a wire?

So by Slager's logic, if I have a private birthday party for my kids somewhere, and record it for posterity, I've committed a felony unless all parties in attendance have agreed to the recording ahead of time?

#25 2009-08-12 12:24:42

I knew he wouldn't go away.
I'm sure glad I've got BIG Bill Whitehouse to hide behind.  Thanks billw.
If there was anything represented on the 30th that wasn't factual Mr.
Slager, spit it out right here.  Everything I presented was in black and white,
audio and or video.  Are you calling me a liar ?  (to steal one of your lines).
It's no secret to anyone in town that you need to discredit anyone who speaks out against the leadership or the political power.  We all know that's what keeps you here.  Just go write your twisted story.  You're going to anyway.  It'll give you and your couple dozen readers something to "chat" about.

Subj: (no subject) 
Date: 8/12/2009 12:12:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Sent from the Internet (Details)

"Sorry for not signing the last e-mail. I am curious, though. Why do you refuse to respond directly? Running away and hiding behind Bill Whitehouse every time I ask you a question is a little strange, don't you think?  Why would you be afraid to answer me directly? Are you only tough behind a microphone in a meeting where you will not allow anyone to challenge you? I'm just asking reasonable questions here. You still haven't responded. Was the meeting public or private? It's a one-word response. Since you have time to post my e-mails to you on Whitehouse's web site, surely you have time for a one-word response. Public or private? Don't be afraid. I won't bite you. Public or private?"

Robert Slager

Last edited by bbrady (2009-09-02 22:05:37)

#26 2009-08-12 12:28:21

If he ever calls me wife a troll again, he might be getting a visit. Then we will see if he likes anyone to challenge him face to face.

#27 2009-08-12 12:29:09

BULLSHIT!!!
Call him on it. Ask him how you should answer so that you are guilty of a felony, according to him, and that is the way you will answer it.
No...asshole...bring an action with anyone you'd like.
I don't think you have the balls to do it, nor do I think there is anyone in law enforcement stupid enough to seek a felony indictment based on what this numb nuts is saying.
Let's see if he has any balls.
Of course it is easy for me to say while I live down in Florida, and I am not the one that has to take a stand.
There is no doubt that BBrady would get pro bono help from dozens of lawyers that people on this site know.
Go for it!

#28 2009-08-12 12:34:38

I know he better be apologizing to Liz very soon. I just happen to have time before I leave tomorrow. If you think she is angry, you should see me when someone calls me wife a troll. Please tell me you are more of a man than what you display?

#29 2009-08-12 12:35:19

I don't think you have the balls to do it, nor do I think there is anyone in law enforcement stupid enough to seek a felony indictment based on what this numb nuts is saying.

Dan, I think we're all in agreement that law enforcement, or anybody with a clue, would agree with you here.  But what Slager's looking to do is get somebody from the powerelitecbwrecallcrewthoughtpolice to say something that, to him, is illegal.  Then he will write about it as if it were factually illegal, and maybe eventually change it when he's shown to be lying, or maybe not.  But in the meantime, what he's done is reinforce with his readers (however many there may be) that the powerelitecbwrecallcrewthoughtpolice are evil, law-breaking meanie-heads.  It's all a game, and one that Bob rightly refuses to play.

#30 2009-08-12 12:35:20

Let him play this stupid bullshit game and spend thousands of dollars trying to sue you, finding out in the end that he can't.

Oh wait, he wont do that, he'll only threaten to sue you, or threaten to have others sue you.

You don't have to answer him Bob.  He's just a a-hole.

I hate to end his fire-breathing, but public or private it doesn't matter.....

The BOS called for an open session at that location and never left.  PUBLIC by default in my book!

#31 2009-08-12 13:03:17

commonsense wrote:

Let him play this stupid bullshit game and spend thousands of dollars trying to sue you, finding out in the end that he can't.

Oh wait, he wont do that, he'll only threaten to sue you, or threaten to have others sue you.

You don't have to answer him Bob.  He's just a a-hole.

I hate to end his fire-breathing, but public or private it doesn't matter.....

The BOS called for an open session at that location and never left.  PUBLIC by default in my book!

i asked him that same question and stated since it was a posted bos meeting isnt it able to be audo and video taped and photos taken? he didnt answer me...

#32 2009-08-12 13:19:56

I spoke at the meeting, I did not have a problem with the tape, actually I was hoping for video as well I wore my bestest blue golf shirt.

Keep the emails coming Mr Slager, your distributors and advertisers will love to see the temperment of the person behind the paper.

#33 2009-08-12 13:24:38

Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 1:21 PM
To: Larry McDonald
Subject: Troll

A computer troll is a person who goes on a web site thread with the intention of disrupting or changing the focus of the conversation. Calm down, big fella. I wasn't calling your wife an actual troll.

I would absolutely say that based on what I have read, she can't seem to get a straight answer from you. I'd be more afraid of her than me.

#34 2009-08-12 13:27:34

Steve,
It appears the OVM is playing both sides? He is now going to carry the Wareham Pravda. Oh well, good luck to him! :)

#35 2009-08-12 13:33:38

Searay, I appreciate you saying you don't have a problem with it being posted. I was going to make it so the pictures BillW took of the individual speakers came up on the screen while they spoke. I decided against that. I guess Bobo doesn't want to refer to a "hateblogger" called PShooter as the one who recorded/posted our meeting. He'd rather twist it into Mr. Brady's misdeeds. Dbag award Bobo.
PShooter(Not Bobo's Buddy)

#36 2009-08-12 13:36:54

I'm okay with you posting it PShoot! You are the man!

#37 2009-08-12 14:20:23

Larry McDonald wrote:

Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 1:21 PM
To: Larry McDonald
Subject: Troll

A computer troll is a person who goes on a web site thread with the intention of disrupting or changing the focus of the conversation. Calm down, big fella. I wasn't calling your wife an actual troll.

I would absolutely say that based on what I have read, she can't seem to get a straight answer from you. I'd be more afraid of her than me.

here is a partial post slager states:
"Madmom, why do you constantly take responses I make to you here, distort them, and put them on Whitehouse's site? I told you quite clearly that I spoke to Sauvageau at 7:15 a.m. last Thursday morning. Do you really think I spoke to him at 2:15 a.m.? He responded to the Standard-Times story, which went on-line in the middle of the night. Check the date on that story. I realize all you want to do is bash me, but come on. It's getting ridiculous now.  How can you expect anyone to take you seriously when you blatantly distort information like this on Whitehouse's web site? I understand perfectly that you are what's known in computer terms as a "troll." All you want to do is distrupt the positive diologue we are trying to have on this site. You speak of wanting positive change in Wareham. Why then do you engage in such destructive behavior? "

#38 2009-08-12 14:28:40

Smack 'em in the kneecaps Darlin!

#39 2009-08-16 14:28:45

Has anyone checked out if The Wareham Observer (known as "THE RAG") qualifies for Legal Advertising .  Are there very specific parameters? like circulation numbers? proof? free? pay for paper? legal Advertising is not cheap...

Does the town still use The Wareham Courier? Years ago I mentioned to several people that the legal ads to be one Slager's  motives in supporting a louse like Bruce. Just another example of  the CORRUPTION in this regime'.

#40 2009-08-16 15:17:56

The Selectmen, as far as my memory goes, are obligated to advertise legal ads in a publication that reaches most of the people of Wareham.
That's the way it used to be. I am not at all sure if that is still true. I have looked at the Charter and Town By-Laws, but it isn't mentioned.
I think it may be an "unwritten" thing.

#41 2009-08-16 16:31:25

Now that the written Observer no longer exist and is now part of the Quad Town paper, it would seem that the Courier
Is the only "Wareham" paper.

I guess we will see if all the favored journalism by the Observer to the BOS and Moderator now pays off for Mr Slager.

How much did you sell your soul for Robie?

#42 2009-08-16 16:37:44

Don't you all remember the bos meeting where Brenda made a motion for a policy to only put the legal advertisements such as the warrant for town meeting in the newspaper with the cheapest rates--aka the rag? It was under John McAullife's brief time in Wareham and he was opposed to that idea. Her motion did not pass. It was a blatant attempt to give the business to her lackey.

#43 2009-08-16 16:50:20

So...the obligation is still to advertise with the paper with the most circulation in Wareham. In order to be fair to the voters. ALL of the voters.

#44 2009-08-16 21:07:24

I tried to find info on the parameters for a "legal paper" in which towns could place their legal notifications. The only thing I could find was for Arkansas. They had a whole list of requirements two of which were, the paper could not be free, and it had to have at least 5 columns. I couldn't find anything for Ma. or Wareham.

#45 2009-08-16 21:33:18

For verification in order to get the card at Town Meeting you must be a registered voter or resident??

#46 2009-08-16 22:16:54

In order to get a card, you must be a registered voter.  They check the voter list, but they don't check identification of the alleged registered voter.

#47 2009-08-16 22:27:22

Does anyone have a link to our current voter list?

#48 2009-08-17 07:10:10

I believe you get that from the town clerk. I think it is on disc. I'm sure it will cost but probably  not that much.

#49 2009-08-17 09:16:46

steve i can not find it anywhere online like molly said that must be a walk in thing to get....

#50 2009-09-02 21:23:51

Well, call me crazy, but I had hoped to have an adult conversation with Mr. Slager today.  As I stated previously, his jeer about Bill's August numbers was so factually inaccurate that the only responsible action would be to issue a written retraction.  Given that there was a lot of posting going on last night with "Tuesday Night Live", I wanted to make sure he saw it, so I emailed him to confirm.  Then this happened.  He hasn't responded to my most recent note, and since he's apparently been berating Larry via email this afternoon/evening, I'm guessing he just has nothing more to say.  Everything below is direct copy/paste

Now, I know I probably shouldn't be surprised, but I actually had some high hopes for this conversation.  I thought that in a situation as cut-and-dry as this, he would do the right thing.  I thought he'd do the responsible thing.  I thought he'd follow through on his claims to be a "journalist".  As you'll see, none of that happened.  His completely false post remains, even though he has been made fully aware that it is a blatant misrepresentation of the truth.  I have to believe that, if Bill accepted advertisers on this site, that Slager's jeer would qualify as libel.  It's knowingly false, it sure as heck seems to have been written with malicious intent, and it would have had the potential to cause damages if an advertiser saw it and thought Bill was misrepresenting his numbers.  Honestly, I'm astonished at how irresponsible he is with his "reporting".  For all that I, and others, have said here, I really held out hope that when presented with a list of facts contradicting something that he had written, he would acknowledge the facts, correct what he had done, and issue a proper retraction.  This is truly a sad day for Wareham, when a "journalist" responds to a factual contradiction of his writings in this way.

My original email, sent last night.  As always, these are exact and complete quotes, lest Mrs Slager or "Shooter" accuse me of lying:

Mr. Slager,

You and I have had our disagreements, but I feel that I have to point out to you how badly you misinterpreted Bill Whitehouse's website statistics.  Your post was factually incorrect in just about all regards, and showed a fundamental lack of understanding of web architectures and Webalizer reports.  I have posted a breakdown of thefactual inaccuracies in your jeer at August Numbers.  I am writing to ensure that you see that post, as there has been quite a bit of traffic on Bill's site tonight.

The entire "jeer" is written on an incorrect premise, and I truly hope that you are responsible enough to take it down and post a written retraction.  This isn't an issue of opinion Mr. Slager, your facts were very wrong.

As an offer of peace, I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about website architectures, or Webalizer reports.  As I hope was evident in my post, I am quite knowledgeable in this area, and can help you avoid similar mistakes in the future.  Contrary to what you may think, I'm not out to get you, or out to get the BOS. I'm out to get factually correct reporting that accurately reflects what the situation is.  If I can help you do that, I would be happy to do so.

Strongly-worded, perhaps, but entirely accurate.  I even offered to help the guy.  This was the response a few hours later:

I wasn't planning on giving you the attention you apparently so desperately crave, but are you actually trying to tell me you don't understand the difference between requests, pages, files and hits while claiming to be knowledgeable in this area? I am truly trying not to laugh. I really am.
   Also, I do use Webalizer and it doesn't generate reports even close to what Whitehouse put on his web site. It is far more detailed and isn't designed anywhere close to Whitehouse's graphic.
   If I can steal back the line you've repeatedly stolen from me, it would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Now run along and go play with your six or seven partisan buddies. You do realize that Hammatron has at least a dozen screen names, don't you?
   Oh, one last thing. You can try to bait me as much as you'd like with your laughable distortions and sad pleas for attention. I'm not playing. You're welcome to join the Observer Media web site anytime you'd wish,  but we both know you will not. You wouldn't last three minutes one-on-one and you know it.
   Cheers.

Well, at least he said "Cheers".  I mean, I didn't really know where to start with this, but I tried to compose a reply.  This was sent back to Slager this morning, and I have not yet gotten a response:

Mr. Slager,

I can't say that I understand why you responded in the way you did.  You don't know who I am, so I don't see how you can claim to know my motivations, but if I was so desperate for attention, why wouldn't I be using my real name?  The answer is that I distinctly do not want the attnention.  Again, I want you to report things accurately and completely.  If you start doing that, my posts and emails will go away.  Your sentence "...are you actually trying to tell me you don't understand the difference between requests, pages, files and hits while claiming to be knowledgeable in this area?" doesn't quite make sense.  The Webalizer documentation states:

Pages are, well, pages!  Generally, any HTML document, or anything
that generates an HTML document, would be considered a page.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, but how can you read that, and still make the argument that you did around his news threads?  This isn't me talking, this is the people that made the software.  Out of curiosity, what were your hits, requests, etc for last month?  Are you going to publish this information?

I figured you use webalizer.  When you were threatening Mr. Brady, I did a quick web search and found this page http://support.bondware.com/index.php?_ … cleid=125. You also showed during that conversation that you didn't understand the difference between "Visits" and "Visitors", but that's another conversation for another day.  As for your accusations about Hammatron, what are you basing that on?  What are his/her other screen names?  I don't know who he/she is, so if you have evidence behind this claim (IP addresses, his/her other usernames, something like that), I would be interested to know.

As for the invitation to Observer Media.  I would be happy to join if you take away the fees.  I proposed a solution that solved both of our problems with posting on the 'other' site - it would have allowed you to engage in direct conversation with me without joining Bill's site (and avoid folks like IHS and IHL), and it would have allowed me to directly converse with you without having to pay for the privilege.  As I've said before, the fact that you rail against other "elites", while you yourself run a walled chat on a weekly basis, where the only way to participate is to pay, is hypocritical.  To be perfectly frank, I don't know Bill from a hole in the head.  I post on his site because it is the only place to do so for free. 

I have one final question for you.  When you previously wrote about your website statistics, and Mr. Brady accused you of making them up, you threatened him with legal action because you said the reports were provided by Bondware and he didn't have the information to make such a claim.  Now, you're making claims without information (unless you've seen Bill's logs), or knowledge of basic terms in the world of web applications, and his reports are provided by the same software.  How is this situation different?

You'll notice that I've never backed down from a question from you.  You may disagree with the responses, but I hope you can afford me the same respect that I've afforded you in this regard.  As I've stated repeatedly, I would love to engage in a constructive discussion with you, and the ball is now in your court.  I will also repeat my offer to help you in these areas that you appear to not understand, and again call for you to issue a retraction for an analysis that you know is factually incorrect

-Cas

ps - For reference, the display (colors, graphs, columns, etc) can be modified using the webalizer.conf file, or several other config files, and different versions of the software have different default "look and feel".  The latest version is 2.21 - what version are you using?  Perhaps that is why it looks different than what you are looking at?

Don't know what to say at this point, aside from saying that I'll obviously not be trying to help him anymore.  I'll continue to post my analyses here, and hope that people who are more open-minded than Mr. Slager take the time to read.

Edit: somehow put a comma in the middle of a word, corrected

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

Last edited by acasualobserver (2009-09-02 21:24:35)

#51 2009-09-02 21:47:29

It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

I'm Hammatron5000!!! We should all claim to be Ham, like when everyone said " I'm Spartacus!" in ummm..what was the name of that movie?

Cas, you have a patience level far beyond mine.

PShooter

#52 2009-09-02 22:18:44

Casual,
His claim that you wouldn't last 3 minutes on his site is probably true. You would be pulling out your hair from the ignorance and hypocrisy that his posters display. It would be a waste of 5 bucks. Of course, he would never meet you in neutral ground. He is a gutless, lying, sack of doo-doo (sentence enhancer). He is now grandstanding in hopes of being drug into the DA investigation. He no longer cares to write factual articles, he would rather play the martyr for his 6 followers. To be honest, he is losing what is left of his business, and wants to be able to blame it on someone other than himself.

I would never presume to speak for others, but I enjoy reading your analysis of his shoddy work.

To put it in perspective, he isn't that important in the bigger scheme of things, but it is important to debunk his work for the sake of the good people of Wareham.

#53 2009-09-02 22:48:09

I think the thing that amazes me the most is that he came to the conclusion "that each regular viewer is checking his site nearly 17 times an hour, 18 hours per day".  Obviously, this is very, very wrong, but if any reasonable person did an "analysis" and concluded that 100 people (his number) are loading this page every three and a half minutes, 18 hours at a clip, 7 days a week....well, I would think said reasonable person would take a step back and say "hmmm...that doesn't seem quite right.  maybe I did something wrong in my analysis."  But that thought doesn't appear to have ever crossed his mind.

Looking back at his post, I'm not sure if that's the thing that really amazes me the most, because it's all so wrong, but that's a big one.  Whatever, sox lost, I'm going to bed.

#54 2009-09-03 03:40:57

Ham is only Ham and no one else.  Gee whiz, if all this hooplah the past few months was all over trying to figure out how many Hams there are, I'd of saved them from taking thousands of taxpayer dollars from God knows where and saved Sweet Brucey from being grilled by the Grand Jury and told them there was only one Ham. 

I suppose the "Ham is a dozen people" story is a good story to tell the tin foil hat squad over at Bobo's site when they ask why there is so much BOS and Bobo criticism so they will keep shilling out their 5 bucks.  Sorry Bobo, whoever the dozen are - they are actually 12 people that think you're a collossal dick.

I didn't realize that the word "Ham" was such a major spelling test either.  It's "Ham" not "Hamm."  Odd, I notice both Bobo and Paul Shooter routinely spell it wrong.  I'm sure that doesn't mean that Paul is one of Bobo's multiple personalities come to life or anything, but I am really surprised that it is possible for two people in one area to be that stupid.  Someone call Guinness, it's a new World's Record.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-09-03 03:53:35)

#55 2009-09-03 07:33:16

Casual,
Those of us who have been following the lies in the rag for years know that no matter how many times you give ragboy correct information, you are wasting your time. I'm not talking about opinions here, I mean actual facts that have been corrected.

He ignores them or spins them.

The only true retraction I've even seen in the rag was when Steve forced him to write the retraction. Kudos Steve for taking it that far.

What I find funny about his latest venture is that it seems so school-boyish. This site posted a thread about the ridiculous claims he made about his numbers in the past, so he's "getting back at us" for making fun of him. All too childish, but not surprising.

#56 2009-09-03 08:27:42

I am Hamatron5000.

#57 2009-09-03 08:39:26

Molly wrote:

Those of us who have been following the lies in the rag for years know that no matter how many times you give ragboy correct information, you are wasting your time.

I've ignored this idiocy because you're right, Molly.

Every account Bobo's filed since he washed up here was seasoned with intentional slanders meant to provoke fights and psychodrama. Noise and distraction.

http://buzzardsbay.net/discuss/image/shellgame.gif

Don't feed the troll.

The only thing the statistics I posted indicate is the site's traffic doubled from Jan to March, doubled again from April to June and continues to grow at a respectable clip. The numbers are compiled by analog for debian linux every twenty minutes, mostly to parse the post/read numbers displayed on the site's front page.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#58 2009-09-03 09:36:28

No, no, no.  I'm Hamatron5000

#59 2009-09-03 10:44:21

I'd like to say I am Ham (He is talented and very gnarley), but alas, I'm just me. I could be Paul Shooter, but I don't do steroids. 

I know if he would wave the fee, I'd go over there and debate with the witless 4. Of course, he won't wave the fee because he is going broke and needs the money to pay his printer. We also know that if you make him look foolish, he bans you (ask LizdaGnome).

This is like a WWE story line!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com