#1 2009-08-10 18:43:19

So instead of my usual deconstruction of his posts, I decided today to rewrite it without his distortions.  The content below quotes liberally from today's freely-available post as part of a work of criticism and parody.  As I understand Mr. Slager has been accusing members of this community of violating his copyright, I want to be clear that use of original content for purposes of criticism or parody (among other uses) is clearly allowed under US copyright law.  That being said, on to the show.....

Casual Observations: Savageau and Slager Continue Attempts to Tear Down Library Trustees

Bruce Sauvageau, chairman of the Board of Selectmen, has told the Wareham Observer, and only the Wareham Observer, that the former board of library trustees informed a Federal Court judge that they had lost approximately $250,000 in donations and/or previous investment gains by investing in the stock market.  This loss has not been substantiated by any named sources outside of the Board of Selectmen, and has been categorically denied by Nora Bicki on behalf of the Trustees and the Wareham Library Foundation.  In a statement posted on www.warehamobserver.com, Ms. Bicki stated that the Foundation was "compelled to comment on totally incorrect allegations arising from a settlement earlier this week with the Wareham Board of Selectmen."  In the statement, Ms. Bicki acknowledged a "moderate reduction" in funds, but stated that this reduction "in no way resembles figures used in some local media – specifically the Wareham Observer." 
    “Five selectmen in the room and two member of town counsel were in the room during the discussion,” Sauvageau said.  Savageau did not comment on the costs incurred by having town counsel in attendance for this, and numerous other pieces of litigation that many have blamed on the current board and their actions.  Mr. Savageau also did not comment on the number of attendees and/or legal representation for the Trustees at the time of this discussion, casting some doubt as to the viability of his statements.  Mr. Savageau then continued to cast doubt on his statements by admitting that he heard the information about the alleged loss secondhand, stating "According to the judge, they told him they had lost $250,000 in the stock market."  Again, Mr. Savageau did not comment on how much the Trustees had gained in investments in the years leading up to this alleged loss.
    According to Sauvageau, the former board of trustees told the court they only had $200,000 left from a trust that rose as high as $450,000 a few years ago.
     “We were going back and forth on the money,” Sauvageau said. “According to the judge, they told him they had lost $250,000 in the stock market. That struck me as odd because they used such an exact number. They are stuck with this now because they said it to a federal judge.”  When it was pointed out in this article that $250,000 is more of a "round number," commonly used for estimating, as opposed to an "exact number" (for example: $247,842.77), Mr Savageau is alleged to have said "hmph".
    The former board of library trustees sued the town in 2007 after selectmen blindsided them in a meeting by requiring them to reapply for their positions, alleging that their previous appointment violated the Town Charter as well as state law.  The Trustees were given no notice that such a requirement was forthcoming before being notified in the meeting.  The former trustees claimed the selectmen were acting in retaliation against them following a library budget debate during Town Meeting. The selectmen were sued as individuals for allegedly violating the civil rights of the former trustees. The town responded with a counter-suit, alleging that the former trustees converted public funds when they sent $75,000 to the Spinney Memorial Building Project to benefit a possible future branch of the Wareham Free Library.  The Board of Selectmen recently settled with the Trustees, and paid $40,000 of the trustees' legal bills out of a Town insurance account.  It is unclear what effect this payment of opposing counsel's fees will have on future insurance costs for the town, but one source close to the situation said "it's common sense that the side of the case that winds up paying the legal fees is the loser, and I don't see any way that losing more litigation helps us lower the town's insurance costs."
    Nora Bicki, the president of the Friends of the Wareham Free Library and a spokesperson for the former board of library trustees, has made it her position not to respond to emails or other requests from Observer Media, instead choosing to make statements correcting both the Observer and Standard-Times directly available for all to read on www.warehamobserver.com. This form of direct communication allows Ms. Bicki to speak directly to the readers without the potential of her statements being inappropriately editorialized by a potentially biased reporter, blogger, or opinion writer.
    According to the last income statement filed with the state in 2007, the trustees placed $381,000 into a private account when they formed the Wareham Free Library Corporation. That number is now down to $200,000, according to Sauvageau and fellow selectman Jane Donahue. However, no documentation has been produced to support this claim, and as stated above, it is secondhand information.  It's also unclear at this time how much of this $381,000 was directly from donations to the organization and how much of it was investment gain.  In addition to the $381,000, Ms. Bicki stated that the approximately $60,000 was donated to the library since the foundation was formed in 2007.  On Robert Slager's blog at www.thewarehamobserver.com, he misrepresents this statement as a collection of an additional $60,000 of donations from the public, and uses that misrepresentation to justify a "loss" of $241,000.  It is unclear at this time if this misrepresentation was done maliciously to further a political agenda.  Previous emails from this writer to Mr. Slager went unanswered, so I invite him to comment publicly on this matter. 
    Subtracting the $60,000 in donations that Ms. Bicki states the former trustees made over the past two years from the $381,000 they reported in 2007, they should have $321,000 in assets. Assuming Mr. Savageau's secondhand comment is indeed correct, and we have been unable to verify this with any documentation or non-Board of Selectmen sources, this would represent a loss of $121,000, or less than half of what Mr. Slager and Mr. Savageau have publicly claimed. This loss, out of a principal of $321,000, equals a 37% drop.  While that is a significant amount of money, it actually is better than the stock market as a whole has performed recently, and the Trustees should be commended for being able to beat the market.
    In light of this alleged loss, Sauvageau said the real question should be “why were the former trustees in the stock market at all?"  This reporter posed that exact question to a financial planner who stated "Over the long-term, buy-and-hold equity investing, such as in the stock market, has shown to have the highest rate of return of the various types of investments.  Of course, there are bound to be peaks and valleys in such a strategy, but it is the best way to maximize available funds over a long period of time."  The financial planner went on to state "I wonder what questions people would ask if these trustees had been earning 3% in a savings account or CD when the market was rising 80% a year during the tech boom of the 90's.  It's easy to be a revisionist historian, but as we've all seen over the past year or so, it's hard to manage money."
    "There are laws and principles that govern the investment of public money and donations to public entities,” Sauvageau added, without stating what those laws are.  He went on to say “There is something all investment managers know and it’s called the ‘Prudent Man Principle.’ You don’t invest all of granny’s money in the speculative marketplace and you don’t mismanage money that comes from private donations. It’s inappropriate and absolutely forbidden.”  The financial planner interviewed for this article, who does not have any outstanding tax liens like Mr. Savageau or corporate filing debt like Mr. Slager, reiterated his early point about revisionist history, stating "it's easy to say that now, but I would ask two questions.  The first, is where are all of the town-managed trusts invested?  That is, what types of investments, with what firms, and at what expense ratios?  The second, is what has the performance of these funds been over the past 1, 3, 5, and 10 years?  It's easy to criticize someone who invests in equities in a down market, but a year ago those funds were probably up more than they're down today."
    Sauvageau, who reiterated that the settlement agreement still has not be signed by the town, said he plans to ask the board to forward this information to the Secretary of State’s office for a full investigation.  Mr Savageau did not comment on Ms Bicki's statement that the case was officially concluded with the judge reading the mediation agreement into record.  It is unclear if he did not comment on this because he had already left the courtroom prior to the actual conclusion of the case. 
    Mr Savageau's last demand for an investigation, which was also publicized by Mr. Slager in early June, appears to have fallen on deaf ears.  In this demand, Mr. Savageau and Slager both claimed that a recording of an illegal executive session, in which targeting of employees in an ongoing "computer audit" was discussed, violated the law.  Neither man acknowledged that meeting attendees noticed a problem with the broadcasting equipment, and instead of calling in the proper technicians to diagnose it, which likely would have prevented the broadcast from occuring, attempted to fix it on their own.  It's unclear if these demands have died off because Mr. Savageau was simply wrong about the legality of the broadcast, or because he declined to push it harder for fear that it would draw attention to the illegal executive session meeting and/or the audit.
    This audit, which has continued for months at a cost of over $50,000, during a time when the town was facing a significant budget shortfall, has been promised by Slager to be "life changing" for many involved, but has yet to produce any evidence of wrongdoing, and is increasingly being viewed as a "witchunt" by the Board of Selectmen.
    Sauvageau said the reason the board fought so hard to bring the former trustees in compliance with state law and the Town Charter as town-appointed representatives was to avoid the kind of financial decisions made by the former trustees.  It is unclear how he was able to make this claim with a straight face, as the Selectmen started this fight in 2007, in the middle of a bull market.  If Mr. Savageau is correct, and the funds were invested in mutual funds or other equities, they would have shown significant gains at that time, leading one to wonder why they would fight at all.
    Finally, it is unclear at this time why Mr. Slager and Observer Media appear to have exclusive access to quotes from Mr. Savageau.  When asked, a town resident simply stated "Slager's been his mouthpiece for years.  I've never seen such biased reporting and editorializing...and please make sure to note that I'm not a member of the CBW, and I don't want to see a recall"a

#2 2009-08-10 18:58:59

Another excellent job Casual! I can hear the steam from here!  If we had a bushel of clams, we could have a clam bake!

#3 2009-08-10 19:07:30

"that's thinking with your dipstick jimmy" great reporting of facts im thinking i should print this and hand it out around town..

#4 2009-08-10 19:37:13

" You don’t invest all of granny’s money in the speculative marketplace and you don’t mismanage money that comes from private donations. It’s inappropriate and absolutely forbidden.” Brucie

It will be easy to determine whether the library trustees broke any real law (absolutely forbidden) as opposed to violating a the Prudent Man Rule which I suggest you all review, especially noting this part about the current trend:

Since the Prudent Man Rule was last revised in 1959, numerous investment products have been introduced or have come into the mainstream. For example, in 1959, there were 155 mutual funds with nearly $16 billion in assets. By year-end 2000, mutual funds had grown to 10,725, with $6.9 trillion in assets (as reported by CDA/Wiesenberger). In addition, investors have become more sophisticated and are more attuned to investments since the last revision of the Rule. As these two concepts converged, the Prudent Man Rule became less relevant.This discounting of the relevance of the prudent man rule is more the result of market forces than it is of the needs of individuals for "safety of capital". The 10,000+ mutual funds of 2000 have grown to over 15,000 mutual funds in 2006. Does any advisor claim to be expert on all of these funds? Does any one of the rating agencies promise that the funds they rate highly will perform better than those they don't? The Prudent Man Rule is even more important today than it was in 1830 if for no other reason than that the market has become so complex and no individual advisor or advisory firm can claim to be fully informed about the investments they recommend.

The modern interpretation of the "Prudent Man Rule" goes beyond the assessment of each asset individually to include the concept of diversification. This is referred to as the “Prudent Investor Rule”. The logic is this: an asset may be too risky to put all your money in (thus failing the Prudent Man Rule) but may still be very diversifying and therefore beneficial in a small proportion of the total portfolio.  Wikipedia

Back to Slager and Bobo:

“The money mismanagement is the perfect example of why we have to have somebody oversee the various boards and committees in town. This isn’t for us. This is for the people in Wareham. This is about the public trust. And that trust is very shaken at the moment.” Brucie

There's obviously a big difference between mismanaging money - the newest term suggesting "mere" incompetence instead of possible fraud or embezzlement as this does:

The Observer fully intends to file a Freedom of Information Act request to find out all the details regarding the missing $250,000. The town insured the former trustees. That means all their financial records are public. We intend to take whatever steps are necessary to find out what the investments were and if, in fact, this money was actually lost through investments.

-------

The spin and misinformation was to be expected. After all, the former trustees have claimed for nearly two years that they were the victim of a vendetta by selectmen. If that’s true, why settle the case, giving selectmen the very thing they had sought from the beginning – the authority to appoint the board and have the town treasurer serve as treasurer of the trustees? We suspect the missing $250,000 had a lot to do with that.

Last edited by urneighbor (2009-08-10 19:39:27)

#5 2009-08-10 20:30:06

Slager already updated the part where he falsely claimed that the $60k in donations should have been added to the balance, but makes no notification of the update.  That paragraph is just gone.  Nora, I have a copy saved that I worked off of to do my criticism, so if you want it in order to demand that he acknowledge his initial misrepresentation, I can send it to you.

#6 2009-08-11 07:13:23

Thank you acasualobserver, but I too saved a copy from last night. I just saw that he did correct the false statements but unfortunately some of his readers believe everything he writes. You have only to reread the three posts that I have made on this blog site to get the truth.

I would like to correct one thing though. I am not the current president of the Friends. I did say in another thread that I was president for the past two years which is true. There is now a new slate of officers that were installed at the Friends' annual meeting. I am also not the spokesperson for the trustees. If you look at the first sentence of the More Library Corrections thread and the first sentence of the latest thread where I posted, you can see that I did those postings for the spokesperson of the trustees, from which one could only conclude that I am not that person.

As to the legal advice some of you have given me, all I can say is our lawyers have every copy of every article Slager has written about the library from before the litigation including the most recent. I spoke with them yesterday afternoon and they continue to inform me that we have nothing to sign and that the case is finished.

I am speaking now as a citizen and not a library representative. In Mr. Urbon's article, he began by saying the selectmen and library organizations have "buried the hatchet." In the editorial in the ST, Mr. Unger talks about starting a new chapter. He praised both sides for mediating and thought the town can go forward into a better place.

Mr. Slager has chosen to continue to write what I consider inflammatory statements, including false and inaccurate statements about the mediation (the very fact that he changed the errors from last night is just one small example). This does nothing but promote continued animosity between the selectmen and the former trustees and members of the foundation. I personally consider this to be akin to his race baiting behavior. Instead of letting this issue heal, he continues to pick at the scab. This is not good for the town, and for a person who claims to love Wareham as much as he does, I am shocked that he would continue this library/BoS baiting. I agree with Mr. Urbon and Unger. It is time to let both sides heal and get on with our own business.

Consequently, I have decided to join the BOYCOTT of the Wareham Observer. I have read your comments on this blog for a while, and I totally agree now with so many of you that the only way to get rid of this thorn in our sides it to totally ignore it. I encourage you all to do the same. Let's make Wareham a great place to live once again.

#7 2009-08-11 07:38:11

Nora,

I was also reluctant to support the boycott of businesses that sell the paper because it would hurt the advertisers. A few days ago Slager's outrages changed my mind. I discussed this with another Wareham resident at LH yesterday (!) who had steam coming out of his ears at the mention of the name Slager.  I noted my ambivalence about business boycotts in general but said I believed that sometimes the end does justify the means.

Telling a business owner, especially one that knows you are a regular and good customer, face to face that you aren't going to shop or eat there because the paper is sold or given away there can have a real impact.

The end of course is to get Slager's paper sold to someone who is a responsible journalist.

A boycott is more than ignoring the paper of course, it is an active effort to get stores to stop selling it.

I don't think we should ignore what Slager writes on this blog. We need to expose the lies and distortions on the record - and I am sure to the utter dismay of Slager and his cronnies THIS Wareham Observer as become part of the public record.

Last edited by urneighbor (2009-08-11 07:42:05)

#8 2009-08-11 07:52:22

More on small town business boycotts:

Businesses in small towns often advertise in the local paper, usually a weekly. Unless they have coupons they usually don't know how well the ads work. The advertising is a tax deduction and the ads are cheap. But whether or not they actually work is debatable.

If you go into WalMart and tell the manager you aren't going to shop there because you object to corporate policy it will be meaningless.

Here's an example. Someone goes into an area restaurant with a party of six, either sees the Wareham Observer there or knows the eatery has an ad in it. They tell the owner they are leaving and won't come back until the place severs ties with the paper.

The owner sees some $200 walking out the door going to a competing restaurant.

That's $200 in real, not hypothetical, money.

#9 2009-08-11 08:07:20

Nora and fellow bloggers,
This represents exactly why Wareham is upside down.  There is no reason for Nora to have to continue to defend the matter except for the misrepresented statements that continue from Bobo and Sweet Brucey & Co., which is very much the problem across the town right now.  Much of their ill information is
what leads the reader to believe that there are some mis deeds occurring which falsely creates outrage because of their manufactured spin on pretty much every issue before the town.
I too will make a more concerted effort to reach out to the many business owners I know to stop advertising and distributing their trash talk.
Sorry Bobo, you just don't get it.  You deserve to go under due to your refusal to get the facts straight.  You have deliberately misled Wareham for far too long.  Its time for you to move on.

Last edited by bbrady (2009-08-11 08:25:04)

#10 2009-08-11 08:17:39

As I said in the beginning, I was torn by this decision, I don't beleive in boycotts, however in this case this misinformation and embarrassment to our town must be sent packing.

The goal is to stop the Observer, not to hurt the business. And quite frankly, I would not be going to a place to have dinner to buy the Observer. If it's there and I chose to buy it fine. If I need milk or brread I go to the market, not to buy the paper but to get my food, if it's there fine if not I still need my milk.

Look there are thousands of customer each week that go to the market, and if you beleive the claims of a sell out (which are again a hypothetical) he sold 80, and if there was a stack on the counter then 92 (plus)% of the people going into the market could givbe a hoot whether the Observer was there or not. It is just not that important in peoles lives.

The Onset Village Market  has met many new people and customers since their decision, certainly more than they lost (if any). The Wareham Observer is just not that significant in peoples lives.

Witnessing the aftermath of their decision, I was given even more strength to stop this guy, posting their number, making comments about "this country" and probably having his 8-10 supporters speed dial the guys business, basically throwing them under the bus.

Other businesses and advertisers know what he did to the Onset Village Market because they said "no more". Probably a fear tactic to scare them from doing the same, but look at making 5 cents on a paper, this is insignificant to their total business, and quite frankly not worth the aggravation it is causing them.

I agree with a recent post that Bill should look into allowing businesses to put a link on this site. I am sure it would fill up fast.

Please remember to send a link to this site to everyone you know, many are not aware of it and need to begin getting the other side of the story, let's all promote the original warehamobserver.com. And finally get rid of the cheap copy.

#11 2009-08-11 08:32:00

After yesterday, I will more actively boycott businesses that sell the Observer. I truly have tried to convince numbnuts (Slager) to tell BOTH sides of the story, but that just leaves me angry. The two most quoted people on the Wareham Observer are Bruce Sauvageau and Robert Slager, and that just isn't acceptable. No one will return his calls for information because he twists the information, so he has placed himself between two rocks. It's time for him to go away.

He will call it intimidation and harrassment. He will complain about his 1st amendment rights, but this is just a good old fashion boycott. No threats that your business will fail or close, just a simple, "I won't shop here anymore if you continue to support a person who wants to rip this town apart".

I would also suggest a conversation with Meals on Wheels to circulate the Courier or Standard Times with their meals. I'm sure both papers over print and can spare the copies.

#12 2009-08-11 08:35:09

I think Bobo faces a difficult future but I find it just about impossible to feel sorry for him. I can't imagine him selling his "company" for enough to buy another small town weekly. I find it difficult to envision a resume touting his writing and reporting skills that would even get him an interview at papers that are cutting back staff and not filling vacancies, especially when there are newly minted J-school graduates applying for the few available jobs.

He's done so much harm to Wareham that I hope he's forced to load up his journalism tools on his cart:

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/615_dsc_0190_2.jpg

and pack up the rest of his stuff:

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/615_dsc_0127_2.jpg

and get out of town...

(photos by urneighbor)

Added: Searay, I meant letting know owners of restaurants that advertise in the rag how you feel .

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

Last edited by urneighbor (2009-08-11 08:37:34)

#13 2009-08-11 08:37:29

nora, thank you for all your efforts DONT GIVE UP!!! i also have been "in his face" so to speak about the truth in what he writes small things as compared to the library but still i want the truth and it is a fight an battle every word hell he still hasnt printed a retraction for misspelling my last name over a year ago that an easy fact to check up on.. keep up the fight for the TRUTH and for what you believe.. thanks again

liz mcdonald

#14 2009-08-11 08:39:37

By the way in case Bobo is reading this, here's the First Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

#15 2009-08-11 08:53:12

Whoa---this will teach me not to sleep late. I have just caught up with the blog and all I can say is thanks to everyone who will no longer read the rag.  None of us want to see businesses suffer because of the rag. But if telling the owners that you won't shop there or eat there again until they no longer carry or advertise in the rag could be successful.

But what everyone CAN DO NOW is stop reading the rag. Really, since I've stopped, my blood pressure has gone back to normal, and I was able to cancel the anger management class I signed up for----only kidding folks, the only one who has a baseball bat problem seems to be PShooter aka ragboy.

#16 2009-08-11 09:06:23

After yesterday, I should start taking your advice Molly. I would also say to ignore comments by his hate bloggers.

#17 2009-08-11 09:59:57

Anyone who gets too riled up reading the Robert Slager rag should stop. There are enough of us who will take some Pepto-Bismol and suppress our gag reflex to check it out and do a fact check here.

Like I posted before, we need to assure there's a public record of his edits in the guise of updates, and of course exposing his lies and distortion which are propaganda for the selectmen.

I've decided to refer to him by his full name at least in every post so if or when people Google him they are more likely to find www.warehamobserver . Consider doing this too because now if someone Googles Robert Slager Wareham we don't come up for several pages. That can change if we post his full name more often.

As it is now if you Google Wareham Observer his site comes up first and ours second. That has to gall him. This is just a blog, a fancy name for a message board, with a few bells and whistles Bill adds on the right sidebar. His site is supposed to be the online edition of a newspaper.

Yikes! Way to go Bill....

Robert Slager has to use Wareham Observer on his vita so what do you think will happen if potential employees look at both sites?

Last edited by urneighbor (2009-08-11 10:02:59)

#18 2009-08-11 13:59:40

Molly et al,

Day 11 being rag-free, and being free of that poisonous blog.

can't say that i miss it, or the spike in BP, or the grinding off of another layer of tooth enamel. Even the wine consumption is down. Well, a little....

Come join us, the feelin' is fine.

#19 2009-08-11 16:30:19

One day at a time notalawyer, one day at a time.

Thank your higher power---www.warehamobserver.com!

#20 2009-08-11 16:59:24

just a FYI slager is not spelling nora's name correct he admits to reading this site and the standard times but insists on getting that fact wrong..

#21 2009-08-11 17:17:08

How the /-/e|| did I miss that. Nori is of Japanese derivation and means belief. A nice name. But not the Nora Bicki who lives in Wareham.

And it's still online.

Nora is English, means honor, and is a form of Honora or Eleanora.

So Robert Slager, show some honor and make the correction.

#22 2009-08-11 20:09:12

urneighbor wrote:

How the /-/e|| did I miss that. Nori is of Japanese derivation and means belief. A nice name. But not the Nora Bicki who lives in Wareham.

And it's still online.

Nora is English, means honor, and is a form of Honora or Eleanora.

So Robert Slager, show some honor and make the correction.

he still hasnt retracted my last name being spelled wrong and its beenover a year he calls it a "minor factul inaccuracy" i call it a lie..

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com