#1 2009-07-31 18:18:19

SO WE HIRE A POLICE CHIEF FROM ANDOVER MA FOR 19 HRS PART TIME, THIS TOWN WITH THE 2ND HIGHEST CRIME RATE IN PLYMOUTH,COUNY AND JUST TO PAD HIS RETIREMENT,  DOESNT TAKE ABOUT 4 HRS ROUND TRIP TO TRAVEL FROM ANDOVER, IS THIS PART OF HIS 19 HRS, ARE WE PAYING HIM A TRAVEL ALLOWANCE? WAREHAM NEEDS A POLICE HIF FOR MORE THAN 19 HRS,    THEN WE HIRE AN ACCOUNANT WITH OUT AN ACOUNANT DEGREE BECAUSE SHE COMES FROM THE TOWN WHERE SANQUIST WAS FIRED ABINHTON MA  , MR URBON HOW ABOUT A STORY ON SANDQUIST AND THE 2 TIMES HE WAS FIRED FROM HIS JOBS,THEN WE HIRE A HEAD LIBRIAN ,OH NO WE DONT WE HAVE A COUNCIL ON AGEING HEAD  WITHOUT A DEGREE RUNNING THE LIBRARY, IT SEEMS NO BODY WANTS TO WORK  IN WAREHAM THAT IS TOP NOTCH AND THATS WHY WE HAVE TO RECALL BRENDA AND THE CRIPT KEEPER THIS COMING APRIL , THIS TOWN IS PROBALY BANKRUPT AND WE DONT KNOW IT , I NEVER VOTED FOR  THESE CLOWNS AND I WILL NOT VOTE FOR  AN OVER RIDE BECAUSE SOME ONE ELSE VOTED FOR THESE CLOWNS.                            MR URBON HOW ABOUT A STORY  ABOUT ALL THE CRIMES COMMITED BY BRUCE THAT IS CHRONICALLED AT THE POLICE  DEPT .

#2 2009-07-31 19:22:16

Capt. c This new chief is top shelf., knowledgeable,  progressive and he will have his hands full, but I kwow he can bring unity and morale back to the PD. Great Fit

#3 2009-07-31 19:27:46

GOOD TO KNOW CAPT C

#4 2009-07-31 19:53:48

We need a FT Chief, not a PT Chief. I don't care if Jesus Christ himself is filling the job, it needs to be filled on a full time basis. This is a bunch of bullshit.

#5 2009-07-31 19:55:53

Why aren't department head candidates interviewed publicly?

#6 2009-07-31 19:59:31

Good question Ham, probably because asking the "will you perform your duties as assigned by the BOS or our puppet Butt Monkey without questioning our authority?" may actually piss the public off, so best it is done behind closed doors and then we get to watch how people like Marcia rise to super stardom who can do no wrong. Even though to date she has done nothing to speak of (just my opinion Bobo).

#7 2009-07-31 20:03:49

capt. c
Give this guy a break, your hatred for the present board should not be passed on to everyone. Give him the shot then you can complain. Take a chill pill.

#8 2009-07-31 21:21:36

Capt C, with all due respect three years ago I understand the challenges the department faces, high crime, shortage of officers, no support from the BOS. I fully support the building of a new police station. I was there the other day to get an accident report and the conditions those officers work in are deplorable. I would vote every day for an override to give the officers the tools they need to do their jobs.
I see no reason while Lt. Wallace was not appointed to this job. Why do we need a part time Acting Chief who lives hours away? There is only one reason, because he will absent, leaving them in charge. 
I do not hate the present board, I have watched them dismantle a place I love, the place I raised my family. I resent the place they have brought this beautiful community. It has become an embarrassment to be "from Wareham". 
I want to see a full time strong Chief who will do what is best for the department and the safety of the community. How do you suppose this gentleman can assist in the moral of the department when he will be in Andover while officers are defamed on Tuesday nights?
I do not doubt that he is talented or knowledgeble, but I do not believe this arrangement is right for our community at this time. Last night Lt. Wallace went out to the school, do you suppose that this AC will be driving down and should the community be expected to wait a couple hours for his arrival?
Who fills in when he isn't here? George Coleman? How do you fix the moral of long time officers who were passed over for this oportunity in favor of someone who has no familiarity with the issues the community faces?
And what positive purpose does this new arrangement serve?
I want to see our police department led by a full time Chief, you are certainly welcome to disagree.

#9 2009-08-01 08:43:31

I understand what Capt. C means.
He is thinking like the good Police Officer that he has always been.
But, I am also sure that Capt. C believes we should have a full time Chief, and shame on anyone who doesn't give the men who are qualified to be Chief from within the ranks of the WPD the opportunity to at least seek the position.
Morale must be low if Police Officers that have dedicated their lives to the WPD know that their opportunities are limited and apparently they are not worthy of the position of Chief.
Shame, shame, shame.

#10 2009-08-01 08:48:10

Dan:
The BOS PUBLICLY stated that they felt an outsider was a better choice. What a bunch of assholes. These men and women have dedicated their lives to this department and they get screwed. Most pd's promote from within because institutional knowledge is extremely important. They know the officers, the community, the problems, etc. Now we are going to have to teach someone who only works 19 hours per week, and you know why it is 19? So they do not have to give him any benefits like health insurance.

#11 2009-08-01 09:00:36

I really don't understand it.
All of my life we have had Chiefs that were residents of Wareham, rose through the ranks, took their Civil Service exams, and were chosen by the Board of Selectmen because of their proven ability to serve the people of Wareham.
CaptC mentioned on an earlier post that he was offered a two year(?)contract. That in itself is insulting.
I have been gone so long I don't know what the Civil Service status is on the members of the WPD.
Maybe CaptC can educate me, and all of us, as to why the Civil Service is not involved in this process, and why the qualified members of the WPD are not protesting this sham.

#12 2009-08-01 10:26:44

capt c will all due respect i personally am tired of the band-aids being put in our dept head positions!!!! the lefthand doesnt know what the right is doing..
ita--who can not even answer a request in 10 days(thats the law)
accountant--with NO degree when we are faced with our most horrible fiscal year yet
library--holy crap COA running the libray NO degree
town barn--fire employess when we took on more work(the EMS and WPD cars)

just to name a few. for me its just an insult to the residents no to the new hire.

#13 2009-08-01 12:04:58

the nineteen hours sounds to me like the individual from Andover is a retiree. In the rules for the State/County/municipal retirement systems (all have the same rules), a person who is an active retiree may work in a state/county/municipal government job for a maximum of 960 hours per year (note, this limitation would not apply to Federal positions, positions in other states, or private positions). If you divide 960 by fifty weeks (allowing for holidays), you get 19.2 hours per week. Exceeding these limits incurs the risk of having to pay back the retirement system. You may have seen recent articles in the Boston Globe regarding indivuals with the Boston Redev. authority wh o exceeded these limits, and are being required to make paybacks.

Is the new chief retired from the Town of Andover?

#14 2009-08-01 12:34:56

notalawyer wrote:

Is the new chief retired from the Town of Andover?

By all accounts, yes.

#15 2009-08-01 12:36:51

ihateliz wrote:

SO WE HIRE A POLICE CHIEF FROM ANDOVER MA FOR 19 HRS PART TIME, THIS TOWN WITH THE 2ND HIGHEST CRIME RATE IN PLYMOUTH,COUNY AND JUST TO PAD HIS RETIREMENT,  DOESNT TAKE ABOUT 4 HRS ROUND TRIP TO TRAVEL FROM ANDOVER, IS THIS PART OF HIS 19 HRS, ARE WE PAYING HIM A TRAVEL ALLOWANCE? WAREHAM NEEDS A POLICE HIF FOR MORE THAN 19 HRS,    THEN WE HIRE AN ACCOUNANT WITH OUT AN ACOUNANT DEGREE BECAUSE SHE COMES FROM THE TOWN WHERE SANQUIST WAS FIRED ABINHTON MA  , MR URBON HOW ABOUT A STORY ON SANDQUIST AND THE 2 TIMES HE WAS FIRED FROM HIS JOBS,THEN WE HIRE A HEAD LIBRIAN ,OH NO WE DONT WE HAVE A COUNCIL ON AGEING HEAD  WITHOUT A DEGREE RUNNING THE LIBRARY, IT SEEMS NO BODY WANTS TO WORK  IN WAREHAM THAT IS TOP NOTCH AND THATS WHY WE HAVE TO RECALL BRENDA AND THE CRIPT KEEPER THIS COMING APRIL , THIS TOWN IS PROBALY BANKRUPT AND WE DONT KNOW IT , I NEVER VOTED FOR  THESE CLOWNS AND I WILL NOT VOTE FOR  AN OVER RIDE BECAUSE SOME ONE ELSE VOTED FOR THESE CLOWNS.                            MR URBON HOW ABOUT A STORY  ABOUT ALL THE CRIMES COMMITED BY BRUCE THAT IS CHRONICALLED AT THE POLICE  DEPT .

I heard he isn't retired and will still be doing his four days on shift in Andover.
Will he be using our chief's car to travel back and forth?  Why would this man be interested in this job if he gets NO benifits. Will this pad his retirement?  Who is going to introduce him to the WPD?  Maybe we do need some changes in the WPD, but what business, town or even family can't improve with a few changes.  Why not let Chief (LT.) Wallace give it a shot.  He knows the men and women on the force.  He is intelligent and I'm sure he knows the areas that need improvement, but he has not been allowed to make any changes per order of the BOS.  Why did Liz Pezzoli know before anyone else, that the new chief would NOT be hired from within?  Paul C. - You weren't treated that great towards the end of your reign as Captain.  I remember you telling me that you had adjusted to doing nothing and collecting your pay every week until you were retired.  I honestly don't remember what the big stink was with you - because there have been so many big stinks in town gov't - but give Wallace a try.  This Andover guy is coming in to a hornets nest. I wonder if Brucie will be the first to take a stick to the nest!  Good luck to the poor new chief.  I pray that Wallace will stay.  As hurt as he must be, I bet he will be the biggest asset to the new chief, but I can't blame him if he throws the finger to the BOS and quits.  After that, he would be able to write a book about what he has seen in Wareham, politically or not and he won't have to suffer a suspension for insubordination!!!!

#16 2009-08-01 12:46:48

capt c wrote:

Capt. c This new chief is top shelf., knowledgeable,  progressive and he will have his hands full, but I kwow he can bring unity and morale back to the PD. Great Fit

Maybe so, Paul - but can this be done on a part time basis?  How does he get to know his officers?  Even if he comes to work for every shift to greet his officers, he will not have the time to get to know them, their quirks, their qualities, their family lives, etc. which is needed to create a bond between chief and officer.  I'm not saying go to their homes for dinner - but as you know, everyone has needs and a chief that knows these can work with them or around them.  The members of the current Wareham Police Department are very angry with the BOS's choice of going out of the department - I haven't polled them all, but the one's I've asked are NOT happy.

#17 2009-08-01 12:58:23

iliveinazoo wrote:

Good question Ham, probably because asking the "will you perform your duties as assigned by the BOS or our puppet Butt Monkey without questioning our authority?" may actually piss the public off, so best it is done behind closed doors and then we get to watch how people like Marcia rise to super stardom who can do no wrong. Even though to date she has done nothing to speak of (just my opinion Bobo).

That's because she isn't on the BOS's hit list, and believe me folks - they actually do have a list of names that they want GONE!  How arrogant.  Instead of looking for ways to rid the town of the "list people", they should be trying to find ways to help Wareham get back on track.  Any ordinary person would be upset to think an actual meeting was called and attended by many who want to see Wareham back on track, because of something they did.  Not this BOS - they did NOT listen and digest what Wareham people want.  This could have been taken as a "tough love" meeting to let them know how bad we want change.  But, mark my word.........Bruce, the ITA and the fellow selectmen (probably not Cruz) are going to retaliate in full force.  Heads will roll.  Jobs will be lost.  And all this time they will be sitting in their ivory tower with smiles on their faces.     A sad comentary of the BOS.

#18 2009-08-01 13:21:00

iliveinazoo wrote:

Capt C, with all due respect three years ago I understand the challenges the department faces, high crime, shortage of officers, no support from the BOS. I fully support the building of a new police station. I was there the other day to get an accident report and the conditions those officers work in are deplorable. I would vote every day for an override to give the officers the tools they need to do their jobs.
I see no reason while Lt. Wallace was not appointed to this job. Why do we need a part time Acting Chief who lives hours away? There is only one reason, because he will absent, leaving them in charge. 
I do not hate the present board, I have watched them dismantle a place I love, the place I raised my family. I resent the place they have brought this beautiful community. It has become an embarrassment to be "from Wareham". 
I want to see a full time strong Chief who will do what is best for the department and the safety of the community. How do you suppose this gentleman can assist in the moral of the department when he will be in Andover while officers are defamed on Tuesday nights?
I do not doubt that he is talented or knowledgeble, but I do not believe this arrangement is right for our community at this time. Last night Lt. Wallace went out to the school, do you suppose that this AC will be driving down and should the community be expected to wait a couple hours for his arrival?
Who fills in when he isn't here? George Coleman? How do you fix the moral of long time officers who were passed over for this oportunity in favor of someone who has no familiarity with the issues the community faces?
And what positive purpose does this new arrangement serve?
I want to see our police department led by a full time Chief, you are certainly welcome to disagree.

Too bad the Wareham Police Officers weren't polled.  They would have been able to make the job easier for the BOS.  They are the ONLY ones that know where the weak and strong points are in the dept.  They know where the changes need to be made.  They know where the safety issues are that need improvement.  They are out there every day, putting their lives on the line for OUR safety.  They should be in on the selection of a new chief, or at least allowed to speak about what they need or want in a chief.  I defy any member on the BOS to take on a few shifts from the officers.  I think only then would they realize (hopefully) what a brother hood there is in the WPD.  Watch my back, I'll watch yours.  They WANT Chief Wallace.  After a few shifts, Brenda would fall off the wagon, Bruce would need adult diapers because he'd lose that shit he's full of.  The ITA would be crouched in a corner sucking his thumb, scared to death.  Oh yes, and scum bag Slager would be doing an article pollyana style - "the Bos had a wonderful time riding patrol with Mr. Coleman".  "Suzy Sunshine never had to write a ticket, either".  Give us the man who has dedicated his whole adult life to the people of Wareham.  Did you notice he did not have anyone dragged out of the meeting last Thurs.?     
We want Wallace as Chief.

#19 2009-08-01 14:53:25

Hey bornofwareham,

Your'e right -- It is too bad that the officer weren't polled. You would find that the majority want a FRESH start from the Tommy Joyce era, which means NOT WALLACE. What is your love affair with this guy? He has the personality of a chair leg and the guys that I have talked to are looking forward to a fresh and new start.

#20 2009-08-01 15:11:00

capt.c
Lt.  Wallace or Lt. Brightman were not offered the job because members of the Department are direct links to the BOS. I have taught enough management classes that an entire shakeup is needed. No fault of most of the officers. I see that some of you are misinformed, he is retired because a new chief will take over in North Andover. Why the parttime appointment-no benefits usually given for the position. The BOS plan on going to Town Meeting and removing the position from Civil Service . I not so sure it is a bad idea. The New way of appointing a Chief or any position is an Assessment Center. They are given practical exercises to show if they are capable to handle and succeed in that position. Remember the Peter Principal as in thje military a person rises to the point of incompetence.

#21 2009-08-01 15:30:15

Capt. C,

Direct links or not, these two guys would continue the Joyce Era and do nothing to change the mindset of the department. Neither is "chief material."  At this time, no one else at the department is the right material either. Time for a change.

#22 2009-08-01 17:17:30

Hmmm, I wonder if the five unhappy police officers may be better off to just get a new job. I knew they were up to something sneaky like trying to take the job out of civil service. I hope the officers file a complaint at civil service, provisinal appointments may only be made for 30 days I believe, not long enough to further the agenda's of these assholes.
And by the way, it isn't easy being Chief of a community with the second highest crime rate in the county and under staffed. I give alot of credit to Tom Joyce, things could have been far worse here.

#23 2009-08-01 21:07:36

,RUMOR HAS IT  THAT THE SELECTMAN WERE UNHAPPY THAT THE ITA APPOINTED WALLACE AS A TEMP CHIEF ,  ,HE WAS NEVER GOING TOGET THE JOB , THEY WANT TO GET RID OF THE STRONG CHIEF LAW AR TOWN MEETING I WILL VOTE AGAINST THAT, I DO NOT WANT THESE CLOWNS RUNNING THINGS,THERE IS A HIT LIST I AM SURE AT THE POLICE DEPT.

#24 2009-08-03 22:56:25

danoconnell wrote:

I really don't understand it.
All of my life we have had Chiefs that were residents of Wareham, rose through the ranks, took their Civil Service exams, and were chosen by the Board of Selectmen because of their proven ability to serve the people of Wareham.
CaptC mentioned on an earlier post that he was offered a two year(?)contract. That in itself is insulting.
I have been gone so long I don't know what the Civil Service status is on the members of the WPD.
Maybe CaptC can educate me, and all of us, as to why the Civil Service is not involved in this process, and why the qualified members of the WPD are not protesting this sham.

I know that this is not how I should be feeling and it's not what is best for the Town of Wareham, but I almost would like to see the officers in support of Lt. Wallace have a blue out day.  All officers call in sick from the blue flu.  Sorry, I know it isn't right, but what the BOS have done isn't right either.

#25 2009-08-03 23:18:42

OCrush wrote:

Hey bornofwareham,

Your'e right -- It is too bad that the officer weren't polled. You would find that the majority want a FRESH start from the Tommy Joyce era, which means NOT WALLACE. What is your love affair with this guy? He has the personality of a chair leg and the guys that I have talked to are looking forward to a fresh and new start.

No love affair anywhere.  He followed orders from the former chief.  Yes, they do want a fresh start and most of the men I have spoken to feel that with Wallace at the helm and him not having to "obey" the former chief (even when he didn't agree) it WILL be a fresh start.  You obviously don't know Wallace to say something like that about his personality.  What would you call Tommy Joyce's personality, which brought along some lawsuits with it?  Wallace is the one who has researched and applied for the grants these men needed as a police dept.   Everything he did was to better the department for his brother officers and safety for the town.  We all have personality quirks but your description is way off.  Sorry, like I said - no love affair, but this man knows the town, the people, the officers and has dedicated his adult life to this town and this police dept., the promotion to chief should have been his.

#26 2009-08-03 23:33:19

capt c wrote:

capt.c
Lt.  Wallace or Lt. Brightman were not offered the job because members of the Department are direct links to the BOS. I have taught enough management classes that an entire shakeup is needed. No fault of most of the officers. I see that some of you are misinformed, he is retired because a new chief will take over in North Andover. Why the parttime appointment-no benefits usually given for the position. The BOS plan on going to Town Meeting and removing the position from Civil Service . I not so sure it is a bad idea. The New way of appointing a Chief or any position is an Assessment Center. They are given practical exercises to show if they are capable to handle and succeed in that position. Remember the Peter Principal as in thje military a person rises to the point of incompetence.

Look at what you just wrote - "members of the Dept. are direct links to the BOS" and "the BOS plan on removing this position from Civil Service".  Maybe if we had a competant, decent board of selectmen, we could accept this change.  Unfortunately they have a vile agenda.  They already have our town in debt and if this woman that Coleman hit with his car sues, where will we be then?  The BOS won't even let people speak at meetings without dismissing them before they get an answer.  Paul, I have also worked in management and I don't see a total shakeup being the best answer for the good of the Wareham Police Dept. and the Town of Wareham.  I backed you, Paul.

#27 2009-08-03 23:36:16

OCrush wrote:

Capt. C,

Direct links or not, these two guys would continue the Joyce Era and do nothing to change the mindset of the department. Neither is "chief material."  At this time, no one else at the department is the right material either. Time for a change.

Brightman is retired as of he 18th of July.  Since then, the only officer on the entire force was Wallace.  What do you consider Chief material?

#28 2009-08-04 00:18:02

danoconnell wrote:

I understand what Capt. C means.
He is thinking like the good Police Officer that he has always been.
But, I am also sure that Capt. C believes we should have a full time Chief, and shame on anyone who doesn't give the men who are qualified to be Chief from within the ranks of the WPD the opportunity to at least seek the position.
Morale must be low if Police Officers that have dedicated their lives to the WPD know that their opportunities are limited and apparently they are not worthy of the position of Chief.
Shame, shame, shame.

Thank you.  Yes, Paul was a very good police officer, a little loud at times, sometimes intimidating when he puffed his chest out, and even a litter bug when he would throw a cigar wrapper out the car window.  But he also had a big heart and the respect (& fear) of the officers under him.  We never should have let him go.  I believe he's probably much happier where he is now.

This town encouraged it's officers to further their education in law enforcement studies.  Look at what Wallace has for education.  A law degree!  This could be one of the biggest assets we could have in a chief.  So, should the men stop studying and taking courses?  It's not going to get them anywhere in this PD.  You are right, shame, shame, shame.

#29 2009-08-04 01:16:56

Hey bornofwareham,

Doesn't it speak volumes that there is no "Blue Flu" or any other type of support for Wallace from the rank and file? Another thing -  Pinning any degree, title, or badge on someone does not make them a leader. What the police department needs now is a LEADER and Wallace is not a LEADER.  Cardalino on the other hand, is a leader, and I would bet that he was asked to come out of retirement. Cry all you want, but your'e man isn't the chief and he aint gonna be chief. Like I told you before, the Joyce Era is OVER.

#30 2009-08-04 01:22:03

Hey bornofwareham,

Let me explain the situation in other terms: You are the owner of the New England Patriots. For the past 20 years, you have had the same head coach and have won just three games in that time frame. It's now decide that you will have to hire a new coach. WOULD YOU HIRE THE ASSISTANT HEAD COACH THAT WAS THERE DURING THAT TIME?

#31 2009-08-04 07:27:56

Actually Blue Flu's are not legal (public sector employees are prohibited from striking or any other type of work stoppage - see MGL Chapter 150e), can result in immediate termination which would be upheld by any arbitrator and/or court. Just FYI. That may be why no one does it, most people these days need their jobs.
That is not to say that when these things happen, we all remember the Quincy teacher's strike, that people are fired. But, here, I would venture to say that the probability is higher that they would be.

#32 2009-08-04 09:58:14

TBL

The real test for the new interim police chief is if he will tell the board of selectmen to pound sand when it is called for. Since this is just a part time retirement gig for him I don't think he will have any problems standing up to them and defending his department. After the Cambridge incident the  world witnessed how important it is for a police chief and a police union to defend a police officer when they know they did nothing wrong.
That being said, Wallace deserved the job and got the shaft. He goes to work at 5 AM and doesn't leave until 5 PM. He is a hard worker, is dedicated  and doesn't consider himself above showing up to routine calls to lend a hand to his officers. The Wareham police force is too much of an active police department to have a chief that only works two days per week.

Last edited by TBL (2009-08-04 10:04:42)

#33 2009-08-04 11:45:46

Wallace works from 5:00 AM to 5:00 PM and that department is still in the shape it is in, morale wise as well as everything else? You people kill your own argument! Give the new chief a chance and face the reality that a change in direction is here.

#34 2009-08-04 12:01:50

born he may be a great fire but cant do alot in 19 hours a week who is running the show the other 149 hours?? it seems to me like a bandaid like i stated before and frankly the officers and the resident deserve a full time chief who is truely here full time..

#35 2009-08-04 13:25:43

OCrush wrote:

Wallace works from 5:00 AM to 5:00 PM and that department is still in the shape it is in, morale wise as well as everything else?

What specifically do you mean "the shape it's in?" What exactly are the problems over there? I've been to the police unions website, and by the look of things, the moral issues are caused by the board of selectmen and the town administrator.. ie no contract, vote of no confidence, crime watch concerns, etc...

As far as Lt Wallace goes, I'd hate to be at a job for 20-25 years and be told I'm not getting promotion because of what the guy above me did. Or in the case of Wareham, not getting the job because 5 dip shits that shouldnt have their hands in day to day operations and most of whom had "brushes" with the law said so.

#36 2009-08-04 15:54:24

o crush THE SELECTMAN ARE CROOKS AND BELONG IN JAIL

#37 2009-08-05 00:02:43

OCrush wrote:

Hey bornofwareham,

Just letting you know that I spoke to three more police officers tonight and they all said the same thing.  We want Wallace as chief.  He deserves it.  He has the respect of every man and woman on the force.  The moral in this department today is low, very low.  They don't want Wallace to leave, but they would like to see him shove his badge up the Bos's nose and just walk away, if that be the case.  These three officers, spoken to separately, told me that Wallace has worked his way up the line to be chief and he has not only earned it but is deserving of it.  They told me the ENTIRE FORCE, INCLUDING SUMMER SPECIALS want Wallace to be their chief.  His chair leg personality oviously doesn't bother his men.

#38 2009-08-05 00:19:55

OCrush wrote:

Hey bornofwareham,

Doesn't it speak volumes that there is no "Blue Flu" or any other type of support for Wallace from the rank and file? Another thing -  Pinning any degree, title, or badge on someone does not make them a leader. What the police department needs now is a LEADER and Wallace is not a LEADER.  Cardalino on the other hand, is a leader, and I would bet that he was asked to come out of retirement. Cry all you want, but your'e man isn't the chief and he aint gonna be chief. Like I told you before, the Joyce Era is OVER.

Out of respect to Lt. Wallace and to their sworn oath to protect, honor and serve, the police officers will continue to work.  Wallace has led from behind the scenes as much as he was allowed to by the former chief.  Why would Paul be a better leader - because he is louder?  Sorry, Paul, but you often spoke before you gave something thought.  Yes, Paul would have made a good leader.  What is it exactly that has made you feel this way about Lt. Wallace?  Is it something personal?  A vendeta? And why do you continue to classify him as a part of the Joyce Era?  You don't say no to your boss.  And, just to let you know...there is no brown on the tip of his nose.  He's clean!

#39 2009-08-05 00:23:22

OCrush wrote:

Wallace works from 5:00 AM to 5:00 PM and that department is still in the shape it is in, morale wise as well as everything else? You people kill your own argument! Give the new chief a chance and face the reality that a change in direction is here.

Yes, give the new chief a chance, after all, he IS a personal friend of the ITA, but somehow I don't think that is a surprise to you, is it.

#40 2009-08-05 00:37:00

From what I see, Wallace doesn't seem to speak up for himself, so how would he ever speak for his men & women. Hey Lt., I know everyone (bornofwareham) thinks that you are the next General Patton, but we are bringing in a guy from 2 hrs. away to work part time to be the chief. Wallace's response? "Uh...OK, I'll do whatever you say." He can't lead himself, let alone others! Geez.. I wonder if waits to be patted on the head! Good luck CHIEF Stanley - CLEAN UP THE JOYCE ERA.

#41 2009-08-05 00:50:52

OCrush wrote:

Hey bornofwareham,

Let me explain the situation in other terms: You are the owner of the New England Patriots. For the past 20 years, you have had the same head coach and have won just three games in that time frame. It's now decide that you will have to hire a new coach. WOULD YOU HIRE THE ASSISTANT HEAD COACH THAT WAS THERE DURING THAT TIME?

First of all, I wouldn't have waited 20 years to replace the head coach, how stupid would that be on my part.  Would I give the asst. head coach a try?  Yes, I would.  Basically because he was following orders from his boss, the head coach.

#42 2009-08-05 01:03:27

TBL wrote:

The real test for the new interim police chief is if he will tell the board of selectmen to pound sand when it is called for. Since this is just a part time retirement gig for him I don't think he will have any problems standing up to them and defending his department. After the Cambridge incident the  world witnessed how important it is for a police chief and a police union to defend a police officer when they know they did nothing wrong.
That being said, Wallace deserved the job and got the shaft. He goes to work at 5 AM and doesn't leave until 5 PM. He is a hard worker, is dedicated  and doesn't consider himself above showing up to routine calls to lend a hand to his officers. The Wareham police force is too much of an active police department to have a chief that only works two days per week.

According to the BOS's meeting tonight, "Richard Stanley is still chief in North Andover.  He will work 20-24 hours a week - more hours in the summer and less in the winter.  He will be our NEW PROVISIONAL CHIEF.  And...he is trained in issues that are issues in Wareham".  What the hell does that mean.  What issues do we have with the exception of the BOS, the ITA and Crime Watch?  Provisional - a providing or preparing; something provided for the future;  a stipulation and temporary.  So, where does that leave us?  In limbo again, I guess.

#43 2009-08-05 01:09:57

Guess what ... If the great Chief Joyce had a chief's test in place for his subordinates, there wouldn't be any need for a provisional. Right, Officer TBL?
The ITA would have had to hire from the list. Now I don't know for sure, but I can kind of figure that there is no current list of Wareham officers that passed the test. Do you know different?

#44 2009-08-05 01:26:27

OCrush wrote:

From what I see, Wallace doesn't seem to speak up for himself, so how would he ever speak for his men & women. Hey Lt., I know everyone (bornofwareham) thinks that you are the next General Patton, but we are bringing in a guy from 2 hrs. away to work part time to be the chief. Wallace's response? "Uh...OK, I'll do whatever you say." He can't lead himself, let alone others! Geez.. I wonder if waits to be patted on the head! Good luck CHIEF Stanley - CLEAN UP THE JOYCE ERA.

Do you remember why Chief Joyce was put on 5 days suspension before he retired?  The ITA gave an ORDER that no one was to speak to the media.  All media news would come from him alone.  Chief Joyce wrote a letter to the editor in the Standard-Times applauding the work done by one of his officers, who was let go by the BOS. (I'll not debate this persons dismissal).  Acting Chief Wallace had the same orders, as did the rest of the police officers.  If you read back in the Standard-Times, when Coleman hit that mother with his car, Chief Wallace referred all media questions to the ITA, as ordered.  The ITA told the media he had not seen the report, therefore he could not comment.  How do you know that Lt. Wallace doesn't speak up for himself?    And you said, from what you see - where are you, to see this?  Lt. Wallace has always stood behind his men and women.  Why do you hate this man so much?  What did he do to you?  I don't see him as perfect, but I do know that he deserves and has earned the job of Chief.  You must be a friend of the ITA to be so gung ho on someone that none of us know except the ITA.  And look back at your third grade comments - a chief from 2 hrs. away, how stupid is that.  And Lt. Wallace's answer was from your mouth, not his.  You need to let us know what it is that you have against Lt. Wallace, then maybe we would understand better - your opinion!

#45 2009-08-05 01:32:16

OCrush wrote:

Guess what ... If the great Chief Joyce had a chief's test in place for his subordinates, there wouldn't be any need for a provisional. Right, Officer TBL?
The ITA would have had to hire from the list. Now I don't know for sure, but I can kind of figure that there is no current list of Wareham officers that passed the test. Do you know different?

Yes, I believe one Sargeant has taken the chief's exam and passed.

#46 2009-08-05 01:37:29

I am just presenting the other side of your love affair with Wallace, using my common sense. If the guy was fit, capable, and able to be the chief, he would be the chief.  Obviously he has been determined not to be the "material" being sought. I don't know him personally, but obviously you do. Don't let your personal bias cloud what is happening. All I'm saying is that by all accounts, the department is in need of dire change. An outside chief is the way to go. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to express it, just as you can express yours. Wallace or anyone else in that department is not going to make necessary and unbiased changes. I will end the discussion of this matter with that, to avoid redundancy. Good luck, Chief Stanley.

#47 2009-08-05 06:59:07

who ARE THE 5 POLICE OFFICERS THAT ARE UNHAPPY WITH THE POLICE DEPT OF THE JOYCE ERA MENTIONED ABOVE BY ONE OF THE PREVIOUS POSTERS . , HO SAID THEY SHOULD QUIT, I THINK THERE NAMES SHOULD BE POSTED.

#48 2009-08-05 07:19:39

FYI: the ITA RECOMMENDED WALLACE FOR THE POSITION....it was the board of selectmen that voted against it!

#49 2009-08-05 08:06:10

just to be fair ihateliz,  if they post those 5 officers names are you going to post yours? I thought this website was here for the people of our town to have a place to comment without fear ?

#50 2009-08-05 08:41:12

Did anyone check his past? he is the chief of NORTH ANDOVER not Andover. he is not retired either.
Mr Stanley is the same chief that hit the railroad gate drunk in north reading in his cruiser in the early nineties (94 - 95?) breaking the windshield and his nose. he pled nol pro (or something like that) and got off, classic cop cover up. so much for back round checks. good luck.

#51 2009-08-05 14:09:08

just like cronan the man witha buggerard up nose.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com