#1 2009-07-31 10:20:23

I'm from Onset.
Huh?
That's what I was told when I was raised and that's what I always say.
I didn't know Onset was a part of Wareham until I was in my teens, and I didn't believe it then.
Onset was Onset, Wareham was Wareham. The rivalry between the two have existed since their inception, and to this day, not much has changed.
My mother would walk me to downtown Onset to shop, or go to the Post Office to visit with Aunt Mae, or to just enjoy a stroll.
I have always been fascinated by politics. I don't know why or where it came from. My father was never involved in politics, at least openly, and a rule in our house was that we could not discuss politics or religion. Pretty hard for someone like me. It could have been that my father was a registered Republican and my mother was a Democrat. Could have been a lot of arguing going on and the only way to resolve the issue was not to discuss the issue. Somewhat convoluted, but what did I know?
When we went downtown to Onset, we would occasionally run into "our" Selectman.
His name was "Scup"  Merrihew, and he was bigger than life. Not only was he a large man(of course everyone looked huge to me...but he WAS a large man), he drove around Onset in his Cadillac, always wearing a large Fedora and smoking a huge cigar.
I remember the first time I met him. I was probably 4 years old and my mother and I were downtown, when she whispered in my ear, "Here comes a VERY important man. His name is Mr. Merrihew, and he is our Selectman."
She said it with such reverence, I was immediately intimidated.
"Be very polite." She said.
"Scup" walked up to us, removed his Fedora, reached out for my mother's hand and said, "Good morning, Gloria. Who is this young man?"
My mother very respectfully introduced me to him.He shook my hand, smiled and said,"Are you going to vote for me this election, Biffy?"
I stood as erect as I could and politely said, "Yes sir. Your OUR Selectman."
He laughed, replaced his hat, tipped the end of it to my mother, and walked down the street talking to everyone and shaking hands with every person he saw. I watched him walk away, and said to my mother,"How come he knows everyone?"
She smiled and said,"It's election time, dear."
Fascinating!
My father would bring me to the barbershop and I would listen intently as all around us spoke of the political issues in Onset.
One man I will never forget is Maitland Harlow.
Mait was a friend of my father's, and years later was a very good friend and advisor to me. He supported me in all of my campaigns. He was also elected Assessor of Wareham, but I'll get to that later.
Mait was in the barber shop when I was getting a haircut and he told my father that he was having a problem with the Board of Selectmen, the State and now even the Federal Courts.
He had this brilliant idea.
At the time, ESSO was a very large Oil Company and marketed their gasoline everywhere.
Mait decided to open up a gas station in Onset named"ECCO".
ESSO...ECCO.
Brilliant.
Well, of course everyone was after him, but he laughed and said that he was getting more publicity and business than he could handle from the issue.'
My father asked him if "Scup" could do anything.
Mait's reply was,"No. The other two from Wareham won't help me out, so Scup can't do anything."
Those SOB Wareham Selectmen!
Whenever we went to Wareham it was like going to the big city. The downtown was SO BIG. There were so many restaurants, shoe cobblers, stores of all kinds. They even had a full time Police Officer working Main Street.
Tobey Hospital was there. The Town Hall was there.("Where's our Town Hall, Mom?") No answer.
The High School, the Intermediate School, the Fire and Police departments were there. What a place!
Maybe I should move there someday.
Naw...I'm from Onset.
I went to Onset Elementary School with kids from Onset. White kids, black kids, Cape Verdean kids.
Ironically, the Nation as a whole was essentially segregated. Even in the North.
There was a school in Onset called the Oak Grove School.
To this day I believe it only existed because of racism. But, the Cape Verdean people were not stupid. They never have been, and they never will be.
"Why are so many Cape Vereans claiming to be caucasian?" Someone asked in the barber shop one day.
If my father could have covered my ears he would have. He hated any discussions, in front of me, about politics, religion, and especially race.
I can't remember the barber's name, but his answer I will never forget.
"What do you expect? If they claim they're Negro their kids can't go to Onset Elementary. They'd have to go to the Oak Grove School."
It was many years before I realized how demeaning and hurtful it must have been for the Cape Verdean community to be excluded based on their color.
Strange that two of my best friends in Onset Elementary School and all the way to adulthood were the Powell twins. Janice and Sandra. Black. Not Cape Verdean. Black. African American, whatever you want to call it. Yet, they had no trouble going to Onset Elementary, and I know for a fact that their mother would never claim to be white. She and her daughters were proud of their heritage.
The tension that existed between the white community and the Cape Verdean community apparently exists to this day.
I'll write more about that in the next segment.

Last edited by danoconnell (2009-07-31 10:21:13)

#2 2009-07-31 19:30:02

capt. c  I do not agree with that last comment. Even  though I do not live in Town wareham is in my blood and heart. There are segments in every community that do not get along, but I have never seen a community that race color and creed do not seperate us. In all my years at the PD I was proud of our community and how we worked for a common goal.

#3 2009-07-31 23:37:08

I have lived in this town for forty years, with a couple of stints in Boston..one of the most unique things about this town is the lack of racial issues..unfortunately, the past two years we've had people fueling the fire..Slager does it to somehow enlist readers to that awful rag he puts out, Donahue does it for political gain..I recently saw his name listed as a fundraiser for the CV Festival Commitee..don't think for a second that Mr Moderator isn't trying to garner votes, he sees this as an oppurtunity to win favor with the CV Community.

The excessive force issue was dismissed, even though there werecharges by an "eyewitness" that Police were racially profiling teens in Onset.we then have our Chairman, disgrace that he is to that title, tell a perp that his first mistake was being Cape Verdean!!

Is it any coincidence that this BS has started as a result of these peoples actions??.Should anyone take the word or follow the lead of Bobo, Sweet Brucey, or John Donahue..Disfunctional leadership and tabloid journalism are a horrible combination and have left a mark on this town that needs to be changed..

#4 2009-08-01 00:54:23

slagisDB wrote:

I have lived in this town for forty years, with a couple of stints in Boston..one of the most unique things about this town is the lack of racial issues..unfortunately, the past two years we've had people fueling the fire..Slager does it to somehow enlist readers to that awful rag he puts out, Donahue does it for political gain..I recently saw his name listed as a fundraiser for the CV Festival Commitee..don't think for a second that Mr Moderator isn't trying to garner votes, he sees this as an oppurtunity to win favor with the CV Community.

The excessive force issue was dismissed, even though there werecharges by an "eyewitness" that Police were racially profiling teens in Onset.we then have our Chairman, disgrace that he is to that title, tell a perp that his first mistake was being Cape Verdean!!

Is it any coincidence that this BS has started as a result of these peoples actions??.Should anyone take the word or follow the lead of Bobo, Sweet Brucey, or John Donahue..Disfunctional leadership and tabloid journalism are a horrible combination and have left a mark on this town that needs to be changed..

I was born here over 60 yrs ago.  Entering 1st grade I didn't see color.  I don't ever remember asking about people of color.  My mother agreed I didn't.  Children play with anyone, just to play and have fun.  They learn about racism from adults. My parents were great, I could invite anyone over after school and for dinner.  Anyone coming into my home were all the same color.  It was never spoken about as - that black boy or girl.  It was, that girl or that boy.   Town Hall dances were open to everyone.  Attending those Monday Club dances every Sat. night, I once asked  a friend of mine why didn't she come some Sat..  She told me that she couldn't go because she was Portuguese.  Duh.....so, what.  After asking around, I found that the "portuguese" kids weren't allowed there and they had their own dances in Onset.  And stupid me, I thought they didn't come to the dances because it was a long walk home.  I walked home after the dance let out at eleven, didn't everyone?  Shortly after this, some very popular "Portuguese" kids were brought in to the dances as our guests.  In that period there were Portuguese or white portuguese.  We, as kids broke a barrier.  Slager & Donahue are trying to build a wall again, but they won't succeed.  We won't let them and how could they?  How many babies have been born of a mixed marriage, just over, say the last ten years.  These babies are all of us, dark or light skinned.  Their families have intergrated and entwined their lives forever.  We will NOT let you put a divider between the good people of Wareham.

Last edited by bornofwareham (2009-08-01 00:57:28)

#5 2009-08-01 08:15:23

Please remember that I am writing the History of Wareham as I lived it. I agree that we were fortunate in Wareham to recognize the futility of fostering hatred based on color. As I continue, you will read the "ups and downs" of the periods I discuss.
I agree that we have to work together, and when I say I have Cape Verdean friends to this day, it is not trite or politically correct. It's the truth, just as it is the truth about what I lived through.
I am so happy that we are all able to discuss everything openly on this site. Communication is the key to success in relationships between people of different backgrounds.
I am proud of you all to work hard to eliminate discrimination within the Wareham community.
Thanks for your input.

#6 2009-08-01 08:21:54

Dan I think you should make an appointment to talk to Paul Shooter, the new corresondent for the rag.  Even though you're in Florida, I'm sure a new reporter like Mr. Shooter would want to learn as much as he can about Wareham, and a chance to pick your brain over the phone would help enrich his stories.

#7 2009-08-01 08:54:15

I will make every attempt to reach his sister, Jello, prior to 1 p.m. (The time she usually enters the ozone from her intake of the "demon rum").
Hopefully, she will give him my number and he will call. Or, she can give me his number and I will call him. Although she once told me that he is living in a hovel, I think formally an office somewhere. I am sure as a reporter he has access to a telecommunication device.
Great idea Ham.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com