#1 2009-07-20 16:02:24

7:00 PM – Room #320 Multi-Service Center, 48 Marion Road, Wareham MA

1.    CALL TO ORDER BY CHAIRMAN
2.    ROLL CALL
3.    CITIZENS PARTICIPATION
4.    ANNOUNCEMENT
5.    CONSENT AGENDA
a.    Authorization to sign bills and documents, etc.
b.    Approval of the Board’s regular minutes of June 30, 2009.
c.    Re-appointments to:  Board of Appeals; Board of Health and     Conservation Commission.
d.    Interviews to: Historical Commission and Recycling Committee.
6.    LICENSES & PERMITS
a.    Continued from July 7, 2009 - Use of Town roads on Sunday, October 18, 2009 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. for the Wareham Middle School, 4 Viking Drive, Wareham their annual READERS BECOME LEADERS 5k RACE & WALK from the Minot Forest School to Great Neck Road to R.D. Stillman Drive and back to the Minot Forest School.
b.    Application for a one-day all alcoholic beverages license permit by Cromesett Tribe #156, Improve Order of Redmen, 754 Main Street, Wareham for their annual Clam Bake to be held at the outside grove area, 754 Main Street, Wareham on Sunday, August 2, 2009 from 12:00 noon to 9:00 p.m.
7.    TOWN ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT
8.    TOWN BUSINESS
a.    Discussion with VADAR Systems.
b.    Any town business.
9.    SEWER BUSINESS
a.    Discussion with Municipal Maintenance Director re: Chapter 90 funds.
b.    Sewer Contract #1; Invoice #1 and Invoice #2
c.    Any other sewer business.
10.    LIAISON REPORTS
11.    ADJOURNMENT
12.    SIGNING OF DOCUMENTS APPROVED BY THE BOARD
13.    EXECUTIVE SESSION MEETING – POTENTIAL LITIGATION

#2 2009-07-20 16:08:46

What is VADAR systems?  Are they officially admitting they're on the dark side of the force?

Apparently BOS is meeting with Crimewatch in executive session says Bobo, why that isn't public seems fishy.

#3 2009-07-20 16:10:13

Oh there it is - POTENTIAL LITIGATION at the end there.

Sweet Brucey, I'm sure running around telling your buddy Bobo that the charges "will be dismissed sooner rather than later" (which kind of has an undertone of implying the woman is a liar) will help to keep the litigation from realizing its "potential."

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-07-20 16:15:21)

#4 2009-07-20 21:15:36

How do you knoe the ES is about Crime Watch? Thought these sessions were confidential

#5 2009-07-20 21:18:11

Read it on the rag site.  Confidential to everyone but President Bobo.

#6 2009-07-20 22:15:13

I get it, so just a few short weeks ago he was complaining because the S-T linked the tape of the ES, and how even if he knew what was being discussed he would not print it, this time he prints was is to be discussed so that he can beat the other papers to the punch.

Since he is on a suit happy kick maybe we should sue him everytime he prints a lie.

Then he would have an excuse not to drive home the police wouls be delivering letters to his office 24/7

Quite frankly his free board has more hate and lies on it than this site.

#7 2009-07-20 22:36:52

Hamatron5000 wrote:

What is VADAR systems?  Are they officially admitting they're on the dark side of the force?

Apparently BOS is meeting with Crimewatch in executive session says Bobo, why that isn't public seems fishy.

It's worse than fishy.  It's just plain stupid.  Because if they do that, then that's tantamount to admitting that Coleman and the rest of the Crimewatchers are employees/agents of the Town subject to investigation and discipline - which in turn would place the town squarely in the bullseye in any lawsuit filed against a Crimewatcher.  There's no way they can hide behind "potential litigation" as a reason to bury this in Executive Session without even having received the required 60-day advance written notice that the woman struck by Coleman intends to sue the Town.

So...how's that "waiver" lookin' now, Bruce?  I mean, duh - does anyone in Town Hall ever sit down and think through this stuff?

Last edited by Petethemeat (2009-07-20 22:41:40)

#8 2009-07-20 23:10:04

Where is the Crimewatch Board of Directors in all this, I would have expected an emergency meeting where they voted that Coleman would be suspended pending the outcome.

Keeping him there and visable will definitely hurt the group.

So according to the Chairman he cannot write tickets. He can still drive the cars and have a second person in the car writing the tickets.

Only to Bruce and Slager does this make sense. Slager had an opportunity again to do the right thing and denounce Bruce's comments.any real reporter would have done that but then he would lose the little income he gets from the legal ads..in the middle of a computer audit.

#9 2009-07-21 09:20:58

The VADAR system is a billing software program used in the Town Accountants office. Word has it that the newly hired accountant is not trained in this software. Perhaps the discussion will be to buy a new program so the new accountant can use something she is familiar with? Why not just send her for training?

#10 2009-07-21 09:21:46

Or better still, why did they not hire someone who was familiar with the VADAR billing system? DUH

#11 2009-07-21 09:39:15

The word I got yesterday was that the ITA will be discussing the financial "imbalance" this evening, which by modern accounting is off by hundreds of thousands of dollars yet the administration hasn't identified the extent due to the lack of an accountant, which he terminated this past spring at the direction of the BOS.  Does anyone else see any problems with this picture.  So in the spirit of transparency, why is there no agenda item to discuss the issues with the budget ?  I know the legal account is over $100,000 in deficit and the first wave of billing ($40,000) for the computer audit was paid out of the legal account and the ITA could not, or would not tell the Fin Com last meeting, "how much is this audit going to cost ?"  And "where is the money going to come ?"  Our administration is writing checks their preverbial back sides cannot cash.  What services do you think we'll lose next to this continued waste and abuse ?

#12 2009-07-21 09:58:37

Knock knock.
Who is there?
The Department of Revenue.

#13 2009-07-21 10:10:43

Here is what the community can expect when the DOR arrives (and they are coming believe you me):
The DOR will determine how to get Wareham out of this fiscal mess, they do that by setting fees and rates (sewer enterprise fund you have been forewarned).
They may also determine that certain services cannot be supported, what services do we have left? Well, we have a few people in Municipal Maintenance but they would be considered essential, we have police but they are public safety, we have schools but last time I checked the state had a little requirement about educating kids.
This leaves very few options, such as the library and the senior center. While I consider both of these to be essential to any community, in reality they can be further reduced.
Now, I am not sure what the DOR will do about all the legal bills we have gotten ourselves saddled with. I would assume that the first order of business would be to eliminate as much of them as possible by settling out of court and where our insurance may be willing to pick up the tab.
This is going to get ugly, for the tax payers especially. The employees may be forced to continue to work without salary increases, take additional furloughs, and lay offs in some cases.
For those of you who doubt what I say please do a little research yourself, Chelsea is the only community to end up in actual receivership that I am aware of, but Springfield got itself into a royal mess a few years back and received some "assistance" from the state. I do not know if they ever ended up in actual receivership. No one wants to go there.
Last year when this whole mess was revealed I went before the board to discuss solutions that other communities I work in were using to be pro active in the inevitable financial melt down. I will post what I said later today, they did not do one single thing I mentioned.

Last edited by Cara Winslow (2009-07-21 12:49:11)

#14 2009-07-21 11:04:16

Ms. Winslow, I hope you are wrong about Wareham.  The scary thing is that NONE of the financial officers knows the extent of our true finances or at least are not disclosing it.  And that's more concerning.

#15 2009-07-21 11:46:32

bbrady:
I hope I am wrong too. Several years ago in Holbrook the (then) BOS could not seem to find a budget, no one knew what to charge items off to or how much money was in any account. Someone called DOR and that situation got remedied, as they say in the south, right quick indeed.

#16 2009-07-21 12:32:49

Cara:

to my knowledge, the Springfield board is still in place, but winding down; one of its members was just appointed as the TA in a South Shore community. BUT, there are many more more of these Boards in the Commonwealth, involving districts. For example, the school district which includes the Town of Orange in central Mass.

You should review the situation in Medway, which may be more similar to Wareham than Chelsea or Springfield. In Medway, The DOR made a host of recommendations regarding the present and future in their financial areas. Chiefly, they required that the Town either pass an override (!) or borrow its way out of its then current situation, which included a budget deficit of nearly one million dollars. This, after a prolonged investigation. Those types of requirements include far closer oversight of budgets, current & future; as well as more involvement in the tax-rate setting process.

Wareham, if you are not aware, is already on the DOR watchlist. It has been since the Donahue years. The watchlist is not written in pencil on a piece of scratch paper; they take the presence of a city or town on this list with great seriousness. My guess is that the Bureau of Accounts within the DOR has a file on current happenings as they affect the financial health of the Town. They do not like to be caught by surprise.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com