#1 2009-07-16 18:45:36

In Mr. Brady's emails with the grand poohbah--aka sweet brucie--Mr. Brady mentioned the Housing Trust Fund and the fact that the bos has not appointed trustees. This is the first I've heard of this. What exactly is the trust fund, where did the funds come from, and why are the bos using the money? What are they using it for? Do they have a legal right to use this money? Is this yet another thing we, as taxpayers and citizens of Wareham need to be concerned about? Anyone with info on this please enlighten those of us who are not familiar with this issue.

An informed electorate makes wise choices in the voting booth, and I truly believe that the public needs to be informed on any and all issues that this bos are involved in.

#2 2009-07-16 20:08:57

The Housing Trust Fund was included in the Annual Town Meeting April 24, 2006.  I cannot speak to the status and whether or not the electorate should be concerned. 

The text below is copied and pasted from the town website which outlines the parameters of the Trust Fund upon which Town Meeting took action.

ARTICLE 23
To see if the Town will vote to Accept Chapter 491 of the Acts of 2004, An Act Establishing Municipal Affordable Housing Trust Funds by voting to accept said provisions and said act in accordance with the Town of Wareham’s Home Rule Authority and by so amending the Town of Wareham’s General Bylaw accordingly, all as more specifically provided for as follows:

Chapter ___. Wareham Affordable Housing Trust Fund.

§1 Authority/establishment:
Pursuant to the authority of Chapter 491 of Legislative Acts of 2004, codified as G.L. c.44, s.55C and the Town of Wareham’s Home Rule Charter, there is hereby created an affordable housing trust fund to be known as the Wareham Municipal Affordable Housing Trust Fund (hereinafter: "Trust Fund")

§2 Purposes:
The purpose of the Trust Fund shall be:
A. To receive, hold, invest, and/or expend funds for the acquisition, rehabilitation, renovation, construction, financing or refinancing of property within the Town of Wareham so that such property will be substantially available as residential property for low and moderate income persons and to further provide mechanisms to ensure such use; and

B. To utilize funds for temporary consulting services that allow the Town of Wareham to provide or preserve real property in the Town so that such property will be substantially available as residential property for low and moderate-income persons and to further provide mechanisms to ensure such use.

§3 Composition:
The Trust Fund shall have five (5) Trustees at all times.  At least one of the Trustees shall be a member of the Board of Selectmen.  The Board of Selectmen shall appoint the remaining Trustees.  In making the appointments, the Board of Selectmen shall endeavor to provide a broad-based membership including legal, banking, financial and real estate professionals, other members of the local business community and affordable housing advocates.

§4Term of Office:
The Trustees shall be appointed for a two (2) year term commencing on July1 and ending on June 30 or until such time as a successor is appointed, should said appointment be delayed.

§5 Organization:
The Trustees shall annually elect one Trustee to serve as Chairperson.  The Chairperson may establish sub- committees and/or ad hoc task related committees to carry out the purposes of the Trust Fund.  The members of the sub-committees may select chairpersons of the sub-committees.

§6 Filling of vacancies:
In the event of a vacancy in the position of Trustee, the appointment shall be made in the same manner as the original appointment.

§7 Meetings, quorum:
Meetings of the Trust Fund shall be held on a regular basis.  The Chairperson or any two (2) Trustees may call Special meetings.  Notice of any meeting of the Trust Fund shall be filed with the Town Clerk and posted in accordance with M.G.L. Ch. 39, §23, the Open Meeting Law.  Four (4) Trustees shall constitute a quorum but a majority vote of the full membership shall be required to approve any motion.

§8 Powers and duties:
The Wareham Municipal Affordable Housing Trust Fund shall have the responsibility to support the construction and preservation of affordable housing in order to secure rental and home ownership opportunities for our community's low and moderate-income individuals and families in the future.

The Trust Fund shall have the powers and duties specified in G.L. c.44, s.55C if provided that it shall have no ability to borrow money, or mortgage or pledge trust assets without prior Town Meeting approval.

It shall have the following additional powers and duties:

A. To establish criteria and/or qualifications for recipients and expenditures in accordance with Trust Fund's above-stated purposes

B. To employ consultants, legal counsel and full or part-time staff, to contract for administrative and support goods and services, and to expend up to ten (10) percent of Trust Fund's receipts for these purposes.

§9 Treasurer-Collector as custodian:
The Town of Wareham Treasurer-Collector shall be the custodian of the Trust's funds and shall maintain separate accounts and records for said funds.  He or she shall invest the funds in the manner authorized by Sections 55, 55A and 55B of Chapter 44 of the General Laws.  Any income or proceeds received from the investment of funds shall be credited to and become part of the Trust.

Inserted by the Board of Selectmen at the request of the Housing Partnership Advisory Board

#3 2009-07-16 20:29:40

Thanks for the info.

So, why don't we have a board of trustees? And are the bos using money from this fund for the Westfield property even though that land was not taken for affordable housing? Something seems wrong here.

If this was passed by town meeting, then why isn't it being followed? Anyone know? How long has it been since we had a board of trustees for the trust fund?

#4 2009-07-16 20:30:44

WOW!!! Now the Town in in the housing business...

#5 2009-07-16 20:38:10

Anthoula, (I like that name) that's excellent research and I can share with all readers here that I've read Ch.44 Sec. 55C and while it does not specifically state that the BOS cannot appoint themselves, the town by-laws does state that they must appoint a minimum of five trustees of which shall include one of their own members.  I went further to research any appointments made to the Board of Trustees in the Selectmen's office and there are NONE, not even themselves.  Therefore to expend monies from the Fund ($160,000) is NOT authorized by anyone except the "yet to be appointed" Trustees to the Board.
Therefore the $28,243 already spent to pay the consultant was done ILLEGALLY.  I'm guessing the Division of Local Services within the DOR will also see it that way.  Again, they think they're above the law.

#6 2009-07-16 23:03:27

bbrady wrote:

Again, they think they're above the law.

Far as I can determine, their ignorance is so profound they believe there are no rules and it's their job to make them as whims warrant. See sociopath.

#7 2009-07-17 05:59:22

VOTE DOWN THE WESTFILD PROJECT.

#8 2009-07-18 05:33:52

Does it trouble anyone the Selectmen have brought the Courier on board to write their press releases?

Ruth Thompson wrote:

Another forward-moving step has been made towards the proposed affordable senior housing/assisted living complex known as the Westfield project.

A bidders’ conference was held last Wednesday, July 8, during which potential developers were given the opportunity to discuss the project and ask questions.

“It went very well,” consultant Dick Heaton of H&H Associates said. “They asked a lot of questions and got answers to all of them.”

#9 2009-07-18 06:22:29

Good morning billw and bloggers,  I will share that it doesn't bother me but that it does prove to me that their "mouth piece" the RAG doesn't have the circulation that he pretends to have.  They had to turn somewhere to push their agenda whether right or wrong, legal or not.  Let's hope that Ruth T. can research all sides of the issues.  Now if we can just get the administration to stop wasting Wareham tax dollars on legal ads in the RAG.  His days are numbered and that's a day worth popping a cork for.  Dust off the glasses.

#10 2009-07-18 07:29:27

Ruth needs to read Anthoula's discussion of the Westfield taking on the other thread. It seems very clear that the land was NOT taken for housing, so the question for any real reporter would be--why is this bos planning affordable housing on property that is restricted??

Another question for a real reporter would be why are there no trustees appointed to the housing trust  and why are the bos using money from that fund on the Westfield project.

I hope these two issues are on the agenda for the July 30 meeting Mr. Brady announced on the "invitation" thread.

#11 2009-07-18 13:27:18

Molly,  So noted.  Also Ruth needs to take her input from people other than the administration or the consultant.  Of course they're going to make it all appear A-okay as it promotes their agenda, regardless if it meets proper procedures or the letter of the law.

#12 2009-07-18 14:24:25

Ruth's article does not mention what funds are being utilized to pay for the consultant, H&H Associates. 

The link below is to the town website where the Westfield documents can be found.
http://www.wareham.ma.us/Public_Documen … amMA_Bids/

#13 2009-07-18 14:32:01

I was a Selectman when the change took place n 1977. I was against it then, I am against it now. We took the land in order to ENSURE that it would never become a low income housing development, government housing, or any other purpose except to preserve it as public land for public use.
I challenge anyone to say I am wrong.
My name is probably on the damn thing, as much as I hate to say it.
Want to read something interesting? Go to the Town web site, pull up the Charter of Wareham, and read the minority report written in 1977.
I will talk about it more later, but, that minority report represented what I thought and what most of the people of Wareham like you thought.The so called "Populists" of the day.
Shame on us then...shame if you do it again.
I can't say it enough:  learn from history, or you are doomed to repeat it.

#14 2009-07-20 22:39:13

There will be a presentation about the Westfield property at the Zoning Board of Appeals meeting on Wednesday with the Planning Board and the Board of Selectmen.  Please consider attending if you have questions.  The link below is to the meeting details on the town website.

http://www.wareham.ma.us/Public_Documen … formid=161

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com