#1 2009-07-15 15:25:25

See the online Courier article: http://www.wickedlocal.com/wareham/news … ld-project

We did vote further study on this article. Where is the money coming from to do all these studies? Can the project even be built on that site? Is this the best site for the elderly in town?

Can someone give some factual history of this project on the blog? Remember, we want to get the truth out to the many people who visit the site. I don't know the details, but I do know it was voted down at least twice at town meeting--a government by the people and for the people. Lol--not in Wareham apparently.

Disclaimer: this is just my opinion

#2 2009-07-15 17:26:45

Molly wrote:

We did vote further study on this article. Where is the money coming from to do all these studies?

The real outrage here is the consultant. He's on the clock, and we're already on the hook to him for more than $30,000.

#3 2009-07-16 16:16:12

let's start with plymouth county registry of deeds book 4323, page 111

#4 2009-07-16 16:51:49

Anthoula, please give us more. What do you mean? What is on that page?

#5 2009-07-16 18:17:35

This book and page at the Registry of Deeds is the ORDER OF TAKING by the Wareham Board of Selectmen, dated August 30, 1977; where the board voted to take in fee simple (the Westfield parcel) for school or municipal buildings, and/or recreational, playground and park purposes.

The board did this after having convened a Special Town Meeting on June 30, 1977.  Article 10 of the warrant was voted unanimously to have the Town acquire and take by purchase, eminent domain, or otherwise, certain land in Wareham, for municipal purposes.

This land is a leftover Campanelli subdivision which was acquired/taken by the town for a number of purposes, but not housing. 

One of the questions I would ask as a voter is "who has given the current Board of Selectmen the authority to pursue housing on this particular site when it was specifically taken for school or municipal buildings, and/or recreational, playground and park purposes?".

In 1977, the Board of Selectmen, acted on the wishes and vote of Special Town Meeting.

Perhaps this has been addressed by our Town Counsel, through some other legal document, but I do not believe it has ever been before Town Meeting to specifically allow for a different purpose for the land other than that which was included in the original ORDER OF TAKING. 

If someone knows otherwise, please share with us.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com