#1 2009-07-11 12:42:26

Has anyone considered taking advantage of using the public access facilities at WCTV to produce and run a talk show?
By law they are obligated to provide time on the station for discussion of currrent events by citizens of Wareham that choose to use the facilities.
Obviously, you will have to be very careful about what you say(profanity,defamatory statements, etc.), but, if it was an open  forum allowing live phone calls while the program runs, I bet it would be well watched and response would be great.
Propose it as a show that will discuss Wareham/Onset issues. You will not endorse political candidates, but will probably interview candidates and elected officials as well.
If it is done intelligently, appropriatly, and is balanced and truly open to all ideas and discussions, I believe it will help with the problems you are facing.
I will guarantee the elected officials will pay attention and watch it...they don't want to hear about themselves in a negative way, especially to a large segment of the electorate.

#2 2009-07-11 16:27:47

Awesome idea

#3 2009-07-11 17:42:06

This is a very good idea! It certainly would get the word out to the general public.

#4 2009-07-11 17:49:56

I agree that it is a great idea.  Who has the time and expertise?

#5 2009-07-11 20:04:15

Get a group together. Find one or more of you that are capable of MCing' a show as host. Study the issues and be sure you are right. The worst thing that can happen to you is be discredited because of lack of knowledge.
The production is easy. When I did my talk shows on TV I used only a living room set. The show doesn't need more than one or two camera shots for production. Find out the format they use, and you may be able to tape on location and include interviews or "beauty shots" during the show. Make it interesting, fast flowing, and educational.
Don't be afraid to tell the truth...but...know the truth before you say it.
Run it once a week to begin. Let everyone know on all e-mail lists within the group and of course this site.
It won't take up a lot of time, will be very effective, and eventually, if done properly, will be very powerful.

#6 2009-07-11 20:43:15

Wow Dan I was talking with a friend of mine this morning, and he suggested I do that.

An open, informative discussion of current events, issues, some history, interviews etc.

The show would be independent in opinion and allow folks from all sides to present their views, we would have phone and email comments as well.

#7 2009-07-11 20:48:56

That sounds like a great start.  I would love to see it happen.

#8 2009-07-11 21:06:22

Great idea! How to proceed?  Contact WCTV? I would suggest a format with two "hosts" for discussion, with the flexibility to have guests.

#9 2009-07-11 21:15:16

Perfect! Now, just do it...
Remember, though, before your first and every show make sure you are prepared and have the facts. If you are discussing Town Government, have a copy of the Town Charter next to you and know it better than anyone.
I agree that a balanced show is the best, but, you may not have any "takers" from elected officials. It doesn't matter, because you can still present a balanced view by accepting phone calls and interviewing those who represent elected officials.
You will have an immediate impact. It takes years to build an audience with an unknown and obscure TV talk show, especially if you don't have the money to advertize.
But, as I stated, you already have a built in audience and it will only grow. You will be a powerful force in Wareham politics if you play it right, be humble yet aggressive, and know your facts. Wait until you see how many candidates for office come knocking on your door. If the elected officials they are running against don't want to participate after you have invited them, so be it. It wouldn't be very bright, but, I have come to the conclusion that not all of the elected officials are intellects.
Rely on each others' wisdom and expertise, and remember that none of us are as smart as all of us.

Last edited by danoconnell (2009-07-11 21:21:43)

#10 2009-07-11 21:19:19

The BOS will find a way to pull the plug on such a show within 5 minutes.

#11 2009-07-11 21:26:01

No they won't. Read the  WCTV By-Laws. They will try, but they won't be able to force you off the air unless you violate Federal law. I have had so many elected officials try to kick me off the air I can't count them. I even had members of the Board of Selectmen in Wareham go after me when I had my talk radio show on WCIB-FM102 from 1972 to 1975. It was called "Wareham Open Line" and I took phone calls and had guests as well as many times having to do the whole show alone.
Read the By-Laws. Know them. Know them better than the BOS knows them. They are your protection and your ammunition.
Not even this BOS want to face a Federal complaint made to the FCC.
They don't fool around.

Last edited by danoconnell (2009-07-11 21:30:27)

#12 2009-07-11 21:28:08

Good to know, thanks.

#13 2009-07-12 01:57:06

Hamatron5000 wrote:

The BOS will find a way to pull the plug on such a show within 5 minutes.

Not if Extranormal Sweet Brucie gets equal time..

#14 2009-07-12 10:44:53

I think Bill W would make a perfect host!!..first guest, none other than Sweet Brucey..maybe then he'll answer Bill's questions!!

#15 2009-07-12 12:23:10

slagisDB wrote:

I think Bill W would make a perfect host!!..first guest, none other than Sweet Brucey..maybe then he'll answer Bill's questions!!

We'd never stop laughing long enough to get through a show.

#16 2009-07-12 14:08:16

I went to wctv site and it looks like you need to fill out a form, pay $15(individual), and spend some time learning the drill. I'm not sure how (or how quickly) you get your programming ideas on air. They talk about plans for cooking shows and "political" programs in the works. Anybody have the low down on this?

#17 2009-07-12 15:41:09

Their obligation is to take your application, your fee (why there is a fee I don't know), and get you on the air.
Don't take no for an answer and call every minute if you have to until they put you on the air. The squeeky wheel will get the grease....Some of you get together and get it done...good way for you to meet each other anyway...

#18 2009-07-13 09:21:51

The TV show is a terrific idea.  I wish I were a lot younger and could tackle that type of project, but I can offer support.  If the station is already thinking about doing a political show, then it is important that they don't select a BOS mouthpiece as the host.  Controlling the town newspaper is enough, we don't need more outlets for BOS propaganda.  How can we move this process along to create a balanced view?

#19 2009-07-13 09:29:00

WCTV is obligated to give ANYONE a show. They are not allowed to pick and choose. The BOS, and their supporters, if they are smart, will definately have a show. What great competition!! Those shows will be well watched by friend and foe alike.
Again, know your facts, make it interesting and entertaining, mix humor with seriousness, "plug" worthwhile projects that the private sector is involved with, and be a truly "community" program.
I have no doubt you will be very successful.
Don't forget, your opposition will be very successful as well.
It's up to you to have the better show. Balanced, fair, informative and honest, without acrimony. Just facts.

#20 2009-07-13 10:04:14

Isn't having two separate shows like having 2 separate observer blogs?  Wouldn't it be much more exciting if we could get representation from both observers, ie Robert and BillW to be cohosts, though the use of a very wide angle lens would be required as they would probably be sitting very, very far apart, and they could each select a weekly guest (a bos member and a blogger?) to participate in answering call in questions on specific topics...now that would be a show...

#21 2009-07-13 10:21:39

MsLilly wrote:

Wouldn't it be much more exciting if we could get representation from both observers, ie Robert and BillW to be cohosts,

Fuck that noise.

#22 2009-07-13 10:34:30

I knew that would be the response, but I had to try...only 2 very intelligent men like yourselves could ever pull that concept off...

#23 2009-07-13 10:44:19

Okay, how about guest co-hosts every week...week one could be Bruce and Officer Pillsbury...make it "pay per view" and donate the proceeds to the general fund...probably be able to rehire a couple of town employees by the end of the show...

#24 2009-07-13 11:29:20

IN ONE CORNEER     TRUTH, JUSTICE AND THE AMERICAN WAY  OFFICER PILLSBURY AND IN   THE OTHER CORNER   BRUCE THE LIAR , CROOK AND CON ARTIST,   WHAT A WASTE OF  TIME FOR OFFICER PILLSBURY HOW CAN YOU DEBATE  SOMEONE  WHO HAS  NO MORAL COMPASS.

#25 2009-07-13 11:38:39

MS LILLY ONLY ONE INTELIGENT MAN BILL WHITE HOUSE AND ONE DUMB ASS LIAR FAT BASTARD EGO MANIAC  SHIT HEAD SLAGER,, BOY ARE YOU REALLY FORMAL R O B E R T SLAGER AROUND HERE WE CALL HIM BO BO, ALSO WHY DEBATE SOMEONE WITH OUT A MORAL COMPASS  WHO LIES AT EVERY TURN

#26 2009-07-13 11:59:29

MsLilly wrote:

I knew that would be the response, but I had to try...only 2 very intelligent men like yourselves could ever pull that concept off...

Bobo is not an intelligent man.  Intelligent men do not allow themselves to be manipulated, as the BOS and DTC have done to him.

#27 2009-07-13 12:00:33

IHL...

I'm not suggesting the cohosts only debate each other, just that both sides of a conversation should have controlled representation (admin vs citizen)...they would both invite guests of their own choosing once a topic(s) has been chosen and then their guest(s), as well as the co hosts could discuss/debate call in questions...

#28 2009-07-13 13:12:14

It won't work. You have to have seperate shows, independent of each other, and obvioulsy opposite views.
I learned a long time ago not to waste my time trying to have people who don't like me change their minds. In mosts cases, they don't know why they don't like or agree with you...but...you will never change them.
Concentrate on putting on your own show and let the opposition do what they have to do.

#29 2009-07-13 14:39:25

danoconnell wrote:

It won't work. You have to have seperate shows, independent of each other, and obvioulsy opposite views.

If I am to believe your theory to be true on how people should present their opposing viewpoints, why wouldn't Obama and McCain have done it that way...I guess because it's not very productive to not have the opposing viewpoint represented in the same "room"...just kind of turns into a soliloquy, not a debate...debates generally allow comparisons to be made and hopefully informed decisions are a result of those comparisons...I think we've all been listening to enough speeches, and that's all well and fine if you just want to hear someone speak...I'll just keep watching The Tonight Show...

And I don't get what people liking you has to do with the successful presentation of the issues in opposing viewpoints to allow people to decide on their own what they think to be the right choice for themselves...if decisions around here are going to be based on a popularity contest, you might as well close up shop now...I thought it was supposed to be based on the issues, not the personality presenting them...

#30 2009-07-13 16:37:25

Wrong!
Based on experience, you will NEVER get any of the elected officials in Town to debate any of you!
You are not worthy, and that is exactly what they will say. "I wouldn't appear on that show under any conditions. I wouldn't dignify that show with my presence!" That's what you will hear.
You have your show...they have their show. This isn't going to be a series of Presidential debates. It's entertainment with a message.
If any of you get serious about putting this show together, and you want input from me, I suggest you do it by private message.
Any input I give you will be based on experience, but, you never want a possible competitor knowing what you are going to do.
Your show and format will be yours from the first show to the last. Anyone who copies it...does exactly that...copies it!
So...remember...even a fish wouldn't get caught if he keprt his mouth shut.

#31 2009-07-13 21:40:20

Didn't someone want a debate during the election season? I vaguely remember being called and asked to partake in the festivities only to receive another call telling me it was cancelled. I later found out that my opponent and one of the school committee candidates had refused to participate, why would anyone seeking an elected office refuse to deabte their opponent?

#32 2009-07-13 21:43:51

Ragman created turmoil saying it was a conflict of interest for the s-T and someone else to be involved in the debate and then the BOS also weighed in negatively - eventually wctv caved in to ragman dogma.

#33 2009-07-13 21:48:50

Mixie wrote:

Ragman created turmoil saying it was a conflict of interest for the s-T and someone else to be involved in the debate and then the BOS also weighed in negatively - eventually wctv caved in to ragman dogma.

It was the Courier not the S-T

#34 2009-07-13 22:17:01

OK....

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com