#1 2009-04-28 16:15:29

Yesterday Bob posted the single most pathetic story I have ever read in print. He went on and on about his diabetes and how much time it takes him to put the rag out every week. Now, I feel bad that anyone has diabetes, growing up I had a friend who did and it was hard. But, really, who does he think he is doing a favor for? It's okay Bob, just close up shop and don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.
Now, he is so happy that Geoff Swett's amendments were defeated, but may I ask a question someone posed to me earlier today for the other bloggers to ponder? Last year we were all told that putting the money back into the library would cause devastating destruction to other Town services, that was like $200,000.00. Basically the same amount that they just reduced the sewer administrative fee, now that the general fund has to cover the $150,000.00 in costs (because remember only $50,000.00 of what is left is the payment in leui of taxes) and there is a new $50,000.00 in the budget to help out Butt Monkey, totally $200,000.00 will we need to lay off cops, cut library hours, or will the meals for the seniors need to go by the wayside?
Hey, I hate to be dramatic, but things are far worse today then they were in November and back then funding the library would devastate the community, but subsidizing the sewer and finding a friend for Butt Monkey is an okay deal.
Anyone game for t-shirts tonight? Mine will read: "Wareham, more than just shit". Mixie, you probably have more creative ideas than I do.
I see how this works, note to the BOS who read this site. How fucking stupid do you think people are?

#2 2009-04-28 17:43:44

Nothing is out! Too many good ideas presented in a reasonable and forthright manner. Noone should bail on CBW, its an honest and progressive effort conducted by individuals like all of us who care about Wareham. I like CBW because noone there has a private agenda to promote or gain from their position in the town.

#3 2009-04-28 20:30:25

TBL

The town clerk got a round of applause for announcing she is taking personal days on Fridays even though she is not required to do so. Notice she didn't say FURLOUGH days? Sounds like she is taking paid personal days. I'm not saying that she is not entitled to paid personal days because I assume it is part of her benefits. But she doesn't deserve a round of applause for taking a personal day off with pay, nobody deserves applause for that. I think she was trying to give the impression that she is taking the day off without pay. A clever way to deceive without telling a lie, because people apparently bought it.

Last edited by TBL (2009-04-28 20:32:32)

#4 2009-04-29 00:04:13

TBL wrote:

The town clerk got a round of applause for announcing she is taking personal days on Fridays even though she is not required to do so. Notice she didn't say FURLOUGH days?

Good catch, TBL. Suppose the Courier's David R. Smith is vying with Slager for Wareham's lying dink award?

“I don’t control what her salary is; that is voted upon at Town Meeting,” Sanguinet said. “She agreed to take the furlough days voluntarily. She didn’t have to.”
Town Clerk Mary Ann Silva agreed to five unpaid days off.
The article passed.

Last edited by billw (2009-04-29 00:05:10)

#5 2009-04-29 03:00:22

TBL

I was just going by what was written in the rag. She could very well be taking furlough days, but the rag said personal days. There is a difference. Personal days are paid days off. Furlough days are unpaid days off. If she is just using her paid personal days when the town hall is closed then she does not deserve to be commended for that. The rag has gotten many things wrong before, so maybe she is taking furlough days. Anyone else know?

#6 2009-04-29 03:19:31

TBL wrote:

I was just going by what was written in the rag. She could very well be taking furlough days, but the rag said personal days.

That fucking does it. After this week, I am posting  the audio from every public meeting to this site. Audio dating 15 days will delete, along at first, to see what kind of bandwidth it eats.

#7 2009-04-29 12:56:53

Blob wrote:

Town Counsel ruled that Silva, who is an elected official, cannot have her salary cut by Town Meeting to an abstract amount based on future speculation. Silva earned applause from the crowd after it was revealed she is taking personal days off during the current Friday work furlough at Town Hall. She is not required to do so.

TBL wrote:

Notice she didn't say FURLOUGH days?

#8 2009-04-29 16:39:55

MARY ANN SILVA ISNT WORTH ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT WE PAY HER. TOO BAD YOU HAVE DIABETES BOB SO DO MILLIONS OF OTHERS AMERICANS. DO THEY CRY AND WHINE LIKE YOU DO? NO. PEOPLE ALSO WORK ALOT BUT DO THEY WHINE AND CRY LIKE YOU DO? NO. IF YOU CANT STAND IT QUIT AND STOP YOUR BITCHING!

#9 2009-04-29 17:01:16

TBL

billw wrote:

Blob wrote:

Town Counsel ruled that Silva, who is an elected official, cannot have her salary cut by Town Meeting to an abstract amount based on future speculation. Silva earned applause from the crowd after it was revealed she is taking personal days off during the current Friday work furlough at Town Hall. She is not required to do so.

TBL wrote:

Notice she didn't say FURLOUGH days?

I'm not a fan of the town clerk but as usual it looks like the rag reported something inaccurate.

#10 2009-04-29 17:59:30

If I understood the explanation correctly, what the clerk is doing is using her personal days (paid) on the furlough days...since she is elected, she gets paid regardless...her contribution to the situation is to forfeit personal days even though she doesn't have to use them to get paid...if she hadn't volunteered to do that, she would have been paid for the furlough days, in addition to still having 5 more personal days to use at her discretion, whenever she wanted...even if you consider her contribution small, legally she didn't have to give up anything...that's what she received the applause for...I would have clapped louder if she was spending her Fridays volunteering at the library as well ...

If I have understood correctly, it is the Courier who has the facts wrong, not the Observer....

#11 2009-04-29 20:05:47

what do you mean ms lilly she would have been paid for the furlough days? furlough days are unpaid arent they that is the whole point to save money. 

point is she scheduled five personal days to coincide with her place of business being closed anyhow.      big sacrifice for the only person who got a nine thousand dollar raise while all other town employees have been out of contract for two years.

#12 2009-04-29 20:25:56

Good evening Oneear...Yes, because the clerk is an elected position, there are no such things as furlough days for her ...she gets paid if the place is open or not...I'm not sure how large or small the sacrifice is, but she is giving up 5 personal days she doesn't have to...

#13 2009-04-29 20:43:30

I am not so knowledgable about this subject of the Clerk as I would like to be, but it occurs to me that since she is ineligible for furlough days couldn't she open the office even if for a short time? Then she doesn't have to use her personal time, and wow, 5 personal days? Can someone give more info (Facts please).

#14 2009-04-29 21:09:08

I am just guessing here because I do not know the specific facts, but I thought the issue about days off and still being paid is because the clerk, just like department heads, is being paid as salaried employees.  You can't jump employees back and forth between exempt and non-exempt employees.  (exempt meaning not subject to overtime). By cutting their hours and reducing pay, they are now hourly employees.  If they are hourly employees, the employer can be sued for not paying overtime (actually 3xs plus attorney fees) for past overtime.  In the case of the acting library director, she was required to work, or worked 40 hours on her own (not sure), but she had to work in the cold winter months in an unheated and unlighted building.  That was a demeaning and degrading thing to do to anyone...but hey...why didn't the clerk have to work in the same dehumanizing conditions?

#15 2009-04-29 21:18:24

I'm not sure Mixie but I think it has to do with her being in an elected position, not a salaried one...but don't take that as fact please...I'm only basing that on the explanation we were given last night...

#16 2009-04-29 21:21:41

So piecing this all together over the past year,  Clerk gets a 9700. pay increase last year, gets secured again this year, agrees to take five unpaid days off? Sounds like the safest job in town!
Now the other department heads (not the clerk) have taken a 6.5% pay cut and on top of it ten furlough days, along with another pile of people taking mandatory furlough days and six layoffs?  If anyone should deserve a standing ovation it's them!

#17 2009-04-29 21:22:35

ok, it is still a similar issue.  If one can be expected to work her 40 hours in deplorable conditions...why can't the other,  you know , we're  an equal opportunity town.

#18 2009-04-29 21:26:07

Vikings wrote:

If anyone should deserve a standing ovation it's them!

Absolutely agree with you!  It doesn't matter what anyone does.  The power corrupt don't seem to care at all about the hard working honest person.

#19 2009-04-29 21:58:57

Tomorrow I am going to see about getting us some facts, there must be answers to these things aside from what was said at Town Meeting. My concern is this, if the Clerk falls under the personnel plan how does she get more personal days than anyone else? Something is not right, but I am going to refrain from offering my opinion until I have some solid info. Well, I will say that if Susan can work in deplorable conditions so can Mary Ann, but shame on our leaders for allowing anyone to work like that.

#20 2009-04-29 22:04:59

Vikings...the clerk's elected position is the safest? I hope the Governor doesn't share that attitude, because if he does, I'm hoping he's going to be a very disappointed man... And when did the department heads become elected?

In this economy, if I had to choose, which fortunately I have not, I think I'd have to look on the bright side of my situation...a 6.5% pay cut is better than no pay at all...

#21 2009-04-29 22:06:10

Why did she need to take her personal days??? Sanguinet has been in his office on Fridays. So the building is open. Are you telling me she doesn't have any work that she could do in her office on those days? Catching up on paper work while the office is closed and no customers to interrupt your work?  Hey here's an idea. Start making copies of all the meeting minutes that were taken out of the library a year ago to be copied and then returned to the library to be available to the public. She is in violation of the town charter by keeping those minutes in town hall. Five days at the copy machine would take care of a big chunk of it. Save the applause folks.

#22 2009-04-29 22:14:51

OMG...when did they move the library into a coal mine?  When did we dig a coal mine?   Unbelievable... you spend 2 lousy nights at town meeting and look what happens...

#23 2009-04-29 23:00:30

WE are not a third world country.  The library has access to heat and electricity.  Is the school department working without Heat and electricity and what about the ACTING TA?  Ms. Lilly, you can make as many remarks as you like, but you know in your heart of hearts that denying heat and electricity when the weather was as cold as it was this winter was not a cost saving strategy, it was a malicious maneuver.  I am confident that the only reason these town employees tolerated these conditions was because they rose above the pettiness for the sake and their dedication to the library.

#24 2009-04-29 23:14:43

Okay Mixie, how about our poverty level senior citizens that lived that way every day in their own homes until they burnt themselves to death  trying to keep warm?  Sorry, that's where my heart is...Not to someone that has to wear a sweater until they get home to their nice warm home my tax dollar pays for through their salary...

#25 2009-04-29 23:25:03

Hi MsLilly, she received close to a $10,000 pay raise in one swoop last year, she opted to take five unpaid day, whats that maybe $600? Hell she got a $700 stipend.  Those other people have far exceeded her in giving back yet she gets a standing ovation? 
And you are entirely right on "some is better than none" but if the town is in such dire straits then maybe elected or not TM should revisit her salary and properly reduce it back to fit the current financial situation.  Also isn't she vested now?  I would have to say that it appears to be a very secure job....

"Not to someone that has to wear a sweater until they get home to their nice warm home my tax dollar pays for through their salary..." 
Your also right Ms. Lilly $9700 of our tax dollars given to senior fuel assistance insted of a single persons pay raise could have gone a long way.....

Last edited by Vikings (2009-04-29 23:44:47)

#26 2009-04-30 08:58:57

Here's the bottom line...

The Clerk's office staff are required to take unpaid furlough days on Fridays

Since THE CLERK is elected and cannot take furlough days, she is expected to work on "Furloguh Fridays"

So to avoid having to be the only one working in her office on Friday, she has chosen to use her personal time off and enjoy 5 long weekends while still getting paid. 

She is entitled to do that, but should not be applauded for it.  She's not sacrificing anything.

Let's stop playing semantics.

#27 2009-04-30 09:10:28

"Your also right Ms. Lilly $9700 of our tax dollars given to senior fuel assistance insted of a single persons pay raise could have gone a long way"

Vikings, thank you for understanding exactly the point I was trying to make...I don't agree with the clerk's raise any more than you do...but why stop at one raise...we need to start at the top and not stop scrutinizing this town's payroll until we've gotten to the bottom of the list...more of our tax dollars need to be going towards services for the citizens and not in employee's pockets...improving the quality of life for all of us, not just those on the payroll...

And I would take more issue with the clerk's raise had it not been approved by town meeting voters...I don't think there is much the TA can do about an elected position's raise that was awarded by a vote...

#28 2009-04-30 19:52:59

Ms. Lilly:
I agree that some positions are overpaid, let's start with Sanguinet, a six figure salary?
I am also troubled by these 5 personal days the Clerk gets, no one else in Town gets 5 personal days.
Shit I work for a town and I only get 3. WTF?
Also, I received an answer to a question I asked several days ago. Sanguinet has ordered 10 furlough days, but has given 5 additional vacation days, so it amounts to 5 furlough days and the employees received 5 additional vacation days (which makes no sense to me just give them 5 furlough days). I am assuming these vacation days will be paid July 1, or whenever we find out how much money we have because interestingly enough no one seems to know....

#29 2009-04-30 21:11:11

slager get fucked i dont give one shit for your sorry ass you miserable  bastard stop whining  and go to  hell.

#30 2009-04-30 21:25:17

GWB

Paid days off from what I have heard can't be used until after june 30th and have to be used during fy 10 or be lost. Plus lets not forget that the 10 furlogh days are being taken 10 weeks in a row. That is an average of $1000 dollars pay loss in 3 months time. If Macauliffs plan were to have been kept in place it would have allowed these employees to spread the loss out through the entire year instead of taking the hit all at once but one of Sanguinets first things to do when he took over was to blow smoke up everyones butt and say furloughs weren't needed only to come back when fy 09 almost over and say they were. It's my understanding that the same groups that agreed to take the furloughs this time agreed to take them the last time as well.
   These furlough days may be nessesary but having to take them all at once like this has to be hard on their household bugets. We for the mast part are talking secretaries here. They are the backbone of these offices and  If I had venture a guess probobly average under 50k a year. Why they have become the Easy Button for the TA to balance the budget is beyond me.

#31 2009-04-30 22:00:02

GWB:
Thank you for the information. I stand corrected. I also agree that balancing the budget on the lowest paid workers backs is a sin. Sanguinet is an asshole.

#32 2009-04-30 23:45:26

Hey ILIAZ, aka factfinder, aka rocketman... :-)

Exactly...start at the top and work our way down...

Can anyone who is more familiar with the personnel plan revisions than I offer some reasoning behind why we wouldn't want to approve them?  I'm pretty sure I grasp the reasoning behind why we'd want to return the step 5 back to the original step 10...I can't even remember the other two right now...

Mixie...I'll bring the marshmallows as long as you promise not to poke me with the stick...

#33 2009-05-01 07:06:14

RAGMAN HERES SOME ADVICE IF YOUR SO OVERBURDENED WITH YOUR DIABETES AND YOUR WORK LOAD. TRY NOT OBSESSING OVER THIS WEBSITE AND HAVING TO CHECK IT EVERY FIVE MINUTES AND WRITE A REBUTTAL IN YOUR RAG. ALSO TRY NOT TO GET INTO DAY LONG BLOG FIGHTS ON A COMPETITORS NEWSPAPER SITE WHERE INSTEAD OF YOU ANSWERING THE QUESTION YOU DANCE AND DANCE FOR DAYS AROUND THE ISSUE.

#34 2009-05-01 07:42:40

sanquist is an ass hole and ms lily you are full of shit.

#35 2009-05-01 08:32:32

Breaking News - Ragman decides to support the furlough plan by taking furlough Fridays off on his own.  In a related story, Bruce will now have to kiss his own ass on Fridays.

#36 2009-05-01 08:42:42

More Breaking News - Ragman, Brucey, and Mr Moderator have all decided to support the Furlough plan by taking off Furlough Fridays of their own.  That's right, they will each ask their respective wifeys for double daily allowances on Thursdays so as to avoid the only work they do on Fridays - rooting around in their respective wifeys' pocketbooks for loose change.

#37 2009-05-01 08:50:54

Hamatron5000 wrote:

More Breaking News - Ragman, Brucey, and Mr Moderator have all decided to support the Furlough plan by taking off Furlough Fridays of their own.  That's right, they will each ask their respective wifeys for double daily allowances on Thursdays so as to avoid the only work they do on Fridays - rooting around in their respective wifeys' pocketbooks for loose change.

LMFAO!

#38 2009-05-01 08:51:52

More Breaking News - Brenda has also agreed not to do any work on Fridays.  All cocktails for the day will be pre-mixed and refrigerated Thursday night.

Even More Breaking News - Not one of the 4 ringleaders in charge of the town has a day job and nobody seems to give a crap.

#39 2009-05-01 09:08:30

ihateliz...coming from you, I consider that a compliment...thanks!

#40 2009-05-01 10:39:47

Is Mike Ligor on the Personnel Board ? You know, the guy who shoots all the small animals in his Swifts Beach neighborhood, especially squirrels ,and throws them down the road drainage pipes which dump directly into the Bay.  We should give him a new nickname - Lap Dog?  for his dedication to his neighbor and Appointor - Bruce S.

#41 2009-05-01 13:27:32

TBL

commonsense wrote:

Here's the bottom line...

The Clerk's office staff are required to take unpaid furlough days on Fridays

Since THE CLERK is elected and cannot take furlough days, she is expected to work on "Furloguh Fridays"

So to avoid having to be the only one working in her office on Friday, she has chosen to use her personal time off and enjoy 5 long weekends while still getting paid. 

She is entitled to do that, but should not be applauded for it.  She's not sacrificing anything.

Let's stop playing semantics.

I see the ragman read what was written on here. On his website he gives the town clerk a "cheer" and writes how the "partisans" are trying cast a negative light on this. He has corrected himself and is now using the term, furlough days.

That is kind of ironic considering he is the one that initially wrote that the town clerk was taking "personal days", instead of furlough days. So the ragman starts a small controversy and now he points the finger of blame at us.

Since I believe nothing that the ragman writes I would say that commonsense is correct and that the town clerk is simply using her paid time off on Fridays instead of furlough days.

Last edited by TBL (2009-05-01 13:30:21)

#42 2009-05-01 13:47:19

TBL wrote:

I see the ragman read what was written on here. On his website he gives the town clerk a "cheer" and writes how the "partisans" are trying cast a negative light on this. He has corrected himself and is now using the term, furlough days.

This is why people here call you dirty names Bob, and tear you and your life apart.  You're a no good liar who makes a living calling other's a liar.  You called it personal days in your article after town meeting.  AND you called it personal days in your cheers section. 

What a fucking hypocrite!  Maybe you should stop calling for others to look in the mirror.  You are a worthless human being and your kids should be ashamed of you.  This is the example you are setting for them?

#43 2009-05-02 13:53:11

TBL

I see the ragman has benefited from one of our corrections yet again. Too funny! He really should pay us a small fee for our services. Now someone in the ragman's corner has been the victim of his shoddy reporting. Like failing to check facts, using the wrong terms, etc. That all leads to a distortion of the truth. I'm sure the ragman was only quick to point out his mistake because the town clerk is one of his biggest cheerleaders, as he is of her.

It will come as no surprise though he is still blaming us "partisans" for questions we raised after HIS mistake. I take issue with being called a "partisan". Like others have said. Why can't I just have a different opinion then the ragman and his best buddy Bruce without being labeled "partisan", "power elite", or a member of the CBW. I am none of those things. I'm just a citizen that calls it as I see it.

#44 2009-05-03 16:47:34

It is about time the Ragman jeered himself.  He jeered himself over this town clerk thing, but to set the record straight, he should also jeer himself for being a liar, a douchebag, a pimple on the ass of humanity, etc etc...a jeer for himself each week for all he has done, it should take one jeer a week for the next 100,000 weeks

#45 2009-05-03 17:16:01

TBL wrote:

It will come as no surprise though he is still blaming us "partisans" for questions we raised after HIS mistake. I take issue with being called a "partisan". Like others have said. Why can't I just have a different opinion then the ragman and his best buddy Bruce without being labeled "partisan", "power elite", or a member of the CBW. I am none of those things. I'm just a citizen that calls it as I see it.

I still call him a liar about the whole issue.  I'd like to view the tape of Town Meeting.  How can the Town Clerk not take a reduction in salary in one breath, and voluntarily take furloughs, which in fact is a pay cut.  Either way, everyone else took 10 furlough days.  How sweet of the Clerk, yet I believe she has lost NO MONEY whatever way Bob wants to word it.

And yes, I hate being labeled "partisan" "power elite" et al.  Does Bob really believe the BOS are non-partisan? 

Either way, the next time you think these boards don't make a difference, remember that Rag Man and all of those that he represents HANG ON OUR EVERY WORD.  If that wasn't true, none of them would have given a shit about the Clerk's "presonal days."  The bulk of his paper is him attempting to dispell stuff written here.

We are making a difference.  Keep it up!

Last edited by commonsense (2009-05-03 17:18:13)

#46 2009-05-03 18:12:45

The truth is the Clerk could have voluntarily taken a furlough.  She could have signed papers to vouluntarily donate the cost of one day's salary back to the town.  Each week her voluntary donation could have been deducted from her pay and then she would have been on the same status as the other town employees.

#47 2009-05-05 06:55:19

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THE IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM SHOULD SHE HAVE BEEN GIVEN A STANDING OVATION AT TOWN MEETING.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com