#1 2009-03-22 14:43:29

Unknown

Last edited by Ana Paulina (2009-03-25 17:37:18)

#2 2009-03-22 14:51:53

Profanity
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

In cartoons, profanity is often depicted by substituting symbols for words, as a form of non-specific censorship.
The original meaning of the adjective profane (Latin: "in front of", "outside the temple") referred to items not belonging to the church, e.g. "The fort is the oldest profane building in the town, but the local monastery is older, and is the oldest sacred building," or "besides designing churches, he also designed many profane buildings".
As a result, "profane" and "profanity" has therefore come to describe a word, expression, gesture, or other social behavior which is socially constructed or interpreted as insulting, rude and vulgar or desecrating or showing disrespect.[1]
Other words commonly used to describe profane language or its use include: cuss, curse, derogatory language, swearing, expletive, oath, bad word, dirty word, strong language, irreverent language, obscene language, choice words, and blasphemous language.In many cultures it is less profane for an adult to curse than it is for a child, who may be reprimanded for cursing.

#3 2009-03-22 15:47:27

Ana Paulina wrote:

Verbal assault, speech code,   the creation of a "hostile environment".

Ana Paulina

Ana, not sure where you are coming from.  You're not suggesting that posters (myself included) on this site create a more hostile environment than folks who post on other sites or through other means of communicating, are you?

Last edited by Mixie (2009-03-22 19:41:38)

#4 2009-03-22 16:08:17

Ana Paulina wrote:

Feedback welcome.... excluding profanity, thank you.

Ana Paulina

Who get to write the rules, choose the words, draw the line? Sounds like the beginnings of a censorship debate or a fascist state.

#5 2009-03-22 16:51:42

I'd never confuse her with other than the Poet Laureate of the slobserver.  Geez, ain't there no reward for that!

#6 2009-03-22 19:30:42

Ana Paulina wrote:

I don't quite understand the point either, but consider this....

You are a reader/visitor by your own choosing.  You don't have to read or be a member of this site.

There are plenty of sites who's views I don't agree with, so I just don't visit.

#7 2009-03-23 02:34:34

Not visiting sites you don't agree with?  That takes too much common sense, commonsense.

#8 2009-03-23 02:47:25

The Ignore Function

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#9 2009-03-23 20:34:06

ANA IS OFF HER MEDS AGAIN. WATCH OUT. ANA I KNOW!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com