#1 2009-02-11 14:43:08

I don't own a car so I'm curious about a recent Boston Globe story revealing the state's clerk magistrates are ruling on more and more contested traffic citations,  in a majority of cases reducing fines or overturning tickets altogether.

Is that system in place here and/or does it work?

Tell it to the ... magistrate : Boston Globe, 2009/02/07.

#2 2009-02-11 16:30:13

it is true.    my guess is like anything else you need an appeal for due process that is why they are heard by a clerk as the judges are busy.  the break is given so that they are less likely to appeal to a judge which is the next step.

generally unless you are a real jerk or have a lengthy driving record you get a substantial break.  it is generally not a good idea to argue with the clerk and say things like "DONT YOU KNOW WHO I AM"

i actually had a ticket once and decided to fight it believing that the posted sign was wrong.    i realized that i was wrong so i showed up and told the lady at the desk  that i was wrong and i would just pay.  she encouraged me to just go in anyways .   the clerk thanked me for my honesty and dismissed the ticket.

in the end i still was more cautious on that road and didnt have to pay my insurance company a surcharge. 

and as we all know if i was found responsible and didnt pay it my license would have been suspended.
for shame for shame for shame

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

#3 2009-02-12 01:31:48

oneeardog wrote:

ithe clerk thanked me for my honesty and dismissed the ticket.

If there's one common thread running through Wareham from its English settlement to present day it's that commoners and privileged alike are cheap fucks. And proud of it. Town records are living proof.

Dot Dykes Whitehouse, my grandmother, had pots of money but folded and reused the same paper napkin every day for two weeks. My mother knew to BYO-TP when visiting here or live to regret it. Me, I've politely weaseled out of every ticket I could.

#4 2009-02-12 11:10:51

TBL

Most cops are very lenient when it comes to traffic enforcement for minor offenses such as speeding, defective equipment, red light violations, etc. Just look at the police log, most traffic stops end in a warning. The cops are very understanding and are not out to hammer people with tickets. For those that do get a ticket you can be assured that they deserve it. But they can appeal and will usually have the ticket dismissed or reduced. I think drivers here have it made compared to some other states where they hammer people for going just a few MPH over the speed limit.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com