• Home
  •  » Wareham Water
  •  » Health Insurance Holiday - Please attend Town Meeting tonight 7pm.

#1 2011-05-24 13:55:48

I posted this earlier on Mr Slager's site. This is a serious issue facing the Town, and the final say is your's if you show up. If you support the Holiday show up and vote yes, if you do not then show up and vote no. My point is, SHOW UP!!! All the talk or type in the world does not matter if you sit home. This decision may satisfy a few for this fiscal year, but as you will read, next year there will be a mess to clean up. Judge for yourselves.

Please take a minute and read this article. I have spent many hours over the past couple of months doing some research in preparation for budget season. This “Holiday” is a bad idea, when you talk with folks who have done it and failed, the Director of Accounts Mass DOR recommends NOT doing it and he was willing to be quoted on the issue. To take one of the most sound funds our Town has, to fund operations, is not financially responsible.

http://www.eagletribune.com/opinion/x30 … mess/print

As you heard last night this decision is yours the taxpayers to make. Please think of our future. Attend Town Meeting tonight, 7 pm, Wareham High School, this one is really important.

#2 2011-05-24 14:17:11

Thank You Steve.

#3 2011-05-24 14:18:04

Thank you, Steve. Please come back when you can and tell us where our Town Administrator found the funds to give our new Police Chief such a sweet deal.

Are Stanley's own officers really financing this contract out of their own paychecks?

Also, who is Wareham's Accountant of record? Thanks again.

#4 2011-05-24 15:44:53

Since the COA budget was put on hold I think someone should ask what budget the new social service assistant is being paid from, is it the COA budget? Someone should ask how much the social service assistant is being paid. I heard Marcia is making the same amount as she did as director. When and if we hire a new director how will the COA budget be able to pay two salaries of $52,000, will it be out of balance?  I think Marcia is currently being paid from the COA budget when we get a new director will she be paid from the COA or another department? Has that money been allocated from a different department? I would also like to know since it is a new job why wasn’t it posted but I doubt anyone will allow that question.
How has the TA accounted for this extra $50,000?

#5 2011-05-24 16:29:55

If there is so much in the fund that a "holiday" can be taken, then doesn't that mean the school committee was correct with its original assessment that employees were paying too much?

#6 2011-05-24 16:32:10

Why isn't this money being refunded to the employees? ??

#7 2011-05-24 16:46:05

Eagle-Tribune on 2011-04-07 wrote:

[Lawerence's] self-insured health fund went from a $7.7 million balance to a $3.9 million deficit, an independent auditor reported to the council. Covering that deficit will just about finish off the $5.4 million surplus, Nunes said.

Nunes said the deficit in the health fund was due, in part, to former [City Budget and Finance Director
Mark Andrews]' suspension of premiums for city workers for two months in 2009.

Nunes has said previously that the health fund was further depleted by city workers rushing to their doctors before they were shunted into the state insurance plan, which offers less generous benefits.

Neither of these events was "unforeseen." Sullivan's suspension of premiums was two years ago. And why would anyone be surprised that people would have their medical issues addressed before being moved to a less generous insurance plan?

Nunes is promising Lawrence will have a balanced budget for Fiscal Year 2012, which begins July 1. But with the current year deficit and a looming cut in state aid that could top $1 million, Lawrence is running out of options.

Last edited by billw (2011-05-24 17:00:19)

#8 2011-05-24 17:07:45

What a surprise!

#9 2011-05-24 17:29:45

could we get Matt Underhill to put the E-T article up on the overhead for all of Town Meeting to see??

#10 2011-05-24 21:31:35

It failed when he did it in Lawrence but he wants to do it here....and the moronic tin hats support it.

#11 2011-05-25 00:19:47

thats all i wanted to point out but got shot down..the witch who flips off the Moderator gets to use other towns as examples with turbines but an example of where the HI Holiday failed is not allowed..Andrews will walk away someday and his legacy will be the worst financial shape this town has ever seen..

#12 2011-05-25 00:45:42

/

Last edited by GuyIncognito (2011-05-25 00:48:13)

#13 2011-05-25 12:20:21

Who flipped off the moderator?  Was it someone from Brockton?

• Home
  •  » Wareham Water
  •  » Health Insurance Holiday - Please attend Town Meeting tonight 7pm.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com