#1 2012-04-25 15:19:36

FYI

State and Wareham police used a robot to remove a suspicious package from the roadway in the area of 147 Marion Road on Friday morning at around 9 a.m.
A suspicious package that shut down part of Route 6 on Friday, April 20, is believed to be a school science project, according Wareham Fire Department Captain Bruce Kelenosy.

Wareham Police saw the package in the area of Shaw's Plaza in the middle of Route 6 around 8:40 a.m. on Friday, Kelenosy said.

The package consisted of two 2-liter soda bottles connected with clear plastic tubing and flanked by cardboard boxes.

The police notified Wareham Fire, which determined that the package looked suspicious and called the State Police Bomb Squad, Kelenosy explained.

Officials evacuated the area 500 feet in both directions. A couple of homes and businesses were affected.

The State Police examined the package and determined it to be non-hazardous, Kelenosy said.

Officials are guessing that the package may have fell off of a car or out of a vehicle's truck, but are otherwise unsure how it ended up on the road.

The incident was resolved by 10 a.m., Kelenosy said.

Comments (5)
POSTED BY: SPHEREBREAKER | Apr 20, 2012 19:46
Why when I read this story am I reminded of the Babe Ruth candy bar in the swimming pool movie scene?

POSTED BY: RESIDENT | Apr 21, 2012 09:47
I see a bag of trash or a box in the middle of the road  I stop and pick it up.... not call the bomb squad..... I cant wait to see what it was.

POSTED BY: RESIDENT | Apr 23, 2012 17:59
DAH!!!!!

POSTED BY: LTW | Apr 24, 2012 21:34
Nice job Walsh, my 4th grade daughter new it was a science project. I wonder how much overtime you wasted? But at least you got on tv and in the papers. We all know thats whats most important to you. Wareham PD has created such a smoke screen for the public. It's horrible how the rank and file officers are being treated and they are all to scared for their jobs to say anything. It will come out eventually. How come during a recent sting on package stores a police dispatchers under age  child who was driving the car that purchased alcohol was not arrested or charged???????  If it was my daughter she would have been. Also I heard that the package store caught in the sting was owned by a former selectman candidate. I wonder if he still lives in the apartment above his store away from his wife in kids in Plymouth????  So many questions that never get answered.

POSTED BY: LTW | Apr 25, 2012 09:16
What are those 6 inch lifts on those boots!!   WOW !!!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com