#1 2011-09-01 07:41:14

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbc … -1/NEWSMAP

September 01, 2011 12:00 AM
WAREHAM — Selectman J. Michael Schneider's missing-in-action status from town government is puzzling Wareham officials, but his son and a neighbor say he moved to Florida.

The neighbor declined to identify himself but said he saw a U-Haul-type vehicle in front of Schneider's First Avenue home earlier this month. He said Schneider told him he was moving to take a job in Florida and left the next day.

"He said he had to ... leave, to take the job right away," he said. "I don't think he's planning on coming back."

Nevertheless, by 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Town Clerk Mary Ann Silva said her office had received no resignation from Schneider for his selectman's seat, which he won in April with 879 votes. Selectman Cara Winslow said she has made unsuccessful attempts to reach him but, as of Wednesday morning, had "no idea" of his whereabouts.

"Obviously, I'm concerned that somebody would just disappear like that," said Winslow, who said she last saw or spoke with Schneider at Wareham's National Night Out on Aug. 2. "But at the same time, I think that each of us has a duty to the citizens and the community so ... he should let the community know that he's OK."

Plus, she added, Schneider should "let us know whether he intends to move forward with his elected position or not."

Selectmen Stephen Holmes and Chairman Walter Cruz Sr. were unreachable for comment Wednesday. But, like Winslow, both Town Administrator Mark Andrews and Selectman Ellen Begley said they didn't know where Schneider was and last saw him at National Night Out.

"I haven't spoken with him," Begley said. "I'm ready for him to come back, wherever he is."

Although Schneider missed selectmen's meetings this month, Silva said that, while the town bylaws include an attendance requirement for appointed committee members, she could find no such rule for selectmen.

"I haven't seen anything that would "¦ compel him to attend the meetings other than his commitment to the voters," Silva said.

Schneider was unreachable for comment via his town e-mail address and phone numbers listed on an Open Meeting Law complaint he previously filed with the state's Office of the Attorney General. While one of those numbers was working earlier this month, it indicated Wednesday that the party wasn't accepting calls. The mailbox for the other number remained full.

There was similarly no answer Wednesday at Schneider's home, where a large branch stretched across the porch and the front room was mostly empty.

"He's fine," said Schneider's son, Michael, who said his father moved to Florida.

But Schneider's absence has sparked rumors offering much more dramatic explanations, according to Winslow.

"The no contact seems to be fueling the speculation, which is just not healthy for the community," she said. "I certainly hope that wherever they are, they're happy and healthy and doing well. But there's obviously some loose ends left back here."

#2 2011-09-01 08:40:24

I hope the BOS will demand his resignation.  This guy is a clown.  He needs to step aside for someone who actually has the guts to do the job.

#3 2011-09-01 08:46:59

So you mean to tell me that Bobo and his wackchat tfhc/Move Wareham Forward kool aid drinking followers were actually wrong?  I thought he went into the witness protection program?

#4 2011-09-01 09:14:14

Good lord a realistic acct on why he left. What do u say bobo?  Did the take back Wareham get to his son and now he is covering that he is currently being probed by aliens? I hope voters look what a move Wareham forward candidate has done to this community and will not vote for another one again

#5 2011-09-01 10:02:15

Schneider just wants a chance to meet Dan face to face.

#6 2011-09-01 10:07:44

I would love to meet him face to face, believe me!

#7 2011-09-01 10:13:12

Jeez if it's possible for a Florida resident to be a Wareham selectman, I'll take Dan over Mike any day. 

All these tin hats have been blathering away with all these conspiracy theories about Mike being in some kind of trouble even though they had no evidence of that.  His son says he's fine.  If his son says he's fine, then he's fine.  Case closed. The tin hats look like the idiots they are and always have been. Now when do we get a resignation letter so Wareham can move on?

#8 2011-09-01 10:48:51

Once again, the Hypocrite Elite embarrasses the Town of Wareham in the statewide press:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/politic … etail.html

Will this clown give it up and resign already?

#9 2011-09-01 12:51:43

move wareham backward makes wareham a laughing stoclk , how maney  stupid people in wareham at least 879 people who voted for this clown schinder.

#10 2011-09-01 13:37:06

one little ,2little  3 litlle ass holes  879 assholes in all , the number vho voted for mike  schinder of mowe wareham into the toilet.

#11 2011-09-01 17:32:27

I'm glad to see this story is starting to make headline outside of wareham to see how ridiculous this town is becoming.  Maybe they will start looking into andrews, Move Wareham Forward, their fundraising and campaign contributions to the two candidates that are also members of the PAC.

#12 2011-09-01 17:52:42

Andrews is quoted in the Globe as saying "He's an elected official in Wareham and remains such until action is taken and that has to come from Mr Schneider"..I wouldnt trust Andrews as far as I could throw him and like everything going on at Town Hall this has a real bad smell to it..Its gotta be time for the AG or Ethics Committe to come in here and demand some answers from the Snake-oil-salesman!

#13 2011-09-01 18:41:48

on the way home tonite on wrko that has the howie car show the news minute came on ,it mentioned wareham and the schinder story , my gaud  it all over mass. about this creep schinder not resigning.

#14 2011-09-01 19:09:01

It made msnbc

#15 2011-09-01 19:21:19

WXTK mentioned in the news break during the Howie Carr Show.

Congratulations, Sweet Brucey.  Mike has taken over your claim to the title of most pathetic selectman in Wareham history.

#16 2011-09-01 19:22:08

Channel 7 had a reporter there, film at 11!!..why were no tinhats interviewed so they could give their absurd theories??

#17 2011-09-01 19:27:12

I arrived just as a reporter and his camera man were wrapping up, but before I could turn my camera on them. The reporter, who didn't identify himself, said his as yet uncorroborated take on in the story is a selectman fleeing the jurisdiction to elude an aggressive creditor, someone he apparently owes big bucks.

Schneider's from South Boston, isn't he?

Last edited by billw (2011-09-01 20:15:13)

#18 2011-09-01 19:39:31

gee does he know  whitey buldger, is he a member of the winter hill gang,  whitey was from south boston also , some one does not sneak out in the middle of the nite if something sinester was not going on , bill i think your on to something,.

#19 2011-09-01 19:59:41

Harrythebarber wrote:

Channel 7 had a reporter there, film at 11!!..why were no tinhats interviewed so they could give their absurd theories??

"Uh yes Mr. TV reporter man, I do believe that the vile power elite done conspirified with the space aliens and the space aliens now done got Mike on they space ship.  I seen the aliens, they was little green men from Mars they was.  Hold on, let me put some more of this hear tin foil on my hat I don't want the power elite readin my mind."

#20 2011-09-02 15:59:25

billw wrote:

I arrived just as a reporter and his camera man were wrapping up, but before I could turn my camera on them. The reporter, who didn't identify himself, said his as yet uncorroborated take on in the story is a selectman fleeing the jurisdiction to elude an aggressive creditor, someone he apparently owes big bucks

Thank you, Jonathan Hall. Remember, folks, you read it here first!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com