#1 2011-05-08 04:01:29

Could someone please tell me how we can afford a 166,000 dollar police cheif but yet we don't have any money to replace an ambulance in a reasonable amount of time. It has  been 2 weeks on Monday that the town has been running on only 1 ambulance. This is outrageous!!!! So the cheif has a sweet paycheck but the people who live in this town better hope that they dont need an ambulance!!!

Last edited by mrs.duff (2011-05-08 12:58:30)

#2 2011-05-08 07:54:59

not only that but the car bob eather drives needs a 100 dollar part to fix it and all repairs need to be run by andrews , he denided the repair ,told him to get another car and this car just sits as the repair was  denided for just a 100 dollar part ,give me a break.

#3 2011-05-08 08:19:11

It will get even worse when the town has to scramble to come up with the money to pay a police lieutenant who was willing to work as a police lieutenant but was not allowed to because the hypocrites let their personal feelings get in the way of their responsibilities to the town.

#4 2011-05-08 08:54:20

Dont be shocked if Andrews pulls a fast one with an ambulance much like he did with the police cruisers..Sure, a grant paid for the down-payment and the first year's lease..how will the Town afford the remaining years left on said lease?..some day, the snake-oil salesman will walk away as Wareham is left in dire straits..

#5 2011-05-08 21:08:32

Well according to the TA the police's budget is in order. I am sure that that must be true and there must be plenty of wiggle room when it comes to money for their department :). So that takes care of the police lieutenant now onto the vehicles. Not that I want him to pull a fast one with the ambulances but I just want something done in a decent amount of time here. Running a town with just one ambulance is not safe at all. Not for nothing but Bourne and Marion will grab any calls that our guys cant but the problem with that is they have their own towns to take care of. With the nice weather there also are more people in town. This goes for Bourne and Marion as well not just Wareham. Im not an expert in EMS but common sense says more people, a greater potential to have emergency calls. So if our EMS is out on a call, Marion is out on a call, and Bourne is out on a call what happens now? Granted this situation could be the exception not the rule. However, when it comes to people's lives and healthcare you always have to prepare for the worst situation possible.  I have heard that he is going to have the ambulance repaired, which I hope is the case. All I am saying that 2 weeks is too long for this to be going on. I also understand that the TA shouldn't take the heat for this 100% because there is also a department head who needs to be responsible for the department. There are just so many things to take into conscideration and no time to do it. All of these things, the ambulance, Bob's car, the police issues, they just need to be taken care of as quickly as possible and with as little cost to the town as possible. I dont think it takes a college degree and genius status to figure these things out but then again I could be wrong.

#6 2011-05-09 10:23:17

mrs.duff, I dont chime in much but I wanted to thank you for the info on the ambulances, I had no idea such an important service to the town was being neglected.  The EMS service in this town is near and dear to my heart, my family has had to use their services twice for some serious issues, one instance they saved my niece's life.  For that, I am ever greatful to the EMS service and thank them for saving one of my family members!!
I recall reading in a few of the previous town reports that the EMS department head was stressing that the ambulances were aging and they were going to be in need of replacement. He did a smart move, he created a paper trail of concerns and the town is overlooking it.   As I see it, I dont think the condition of the ambulances has anything to do with that department head or neglect.   I would point the blame to the capital planning committee and the town administrator for not seeing the importance of our ambulances being at 110%.  I was told that the money was requested from capital planning but the idea was scrapped so they could buy the chief more cars and more equipment. 
Follow the cash trail, last year we gave the chief almost 300K to replace radios that were working but getting old, now the chief is on the town meeting warrant for another 200K+ for this up and coming meeting for more cars on top of the 9 he bought last year.  I think this is just another example of the town administrators priorities, and how he fills the pockets of his "pet projects" that make him look good in the public and neglects the rest. 
I will research this some more because I feel I owe it to the ems services.  Just as a reference to the importance of this service, I have never had to call the fire department or police for anything yet we have needed the paramedics twice!   Right now EMS should be made priority, other departments can hold off on requested town meeting money and I will vote against every money article until the ambulance situation is resolved.  It is the most important service we have and shouldnt be neglected by the town like this, your life could be depending on these people.

#7 2011-05-09 22:49:47

Great points spanky

#8 2011-05-09 23:07:22

Thank you spanky for your information as well. I do not know the specifics of the past history of the requests for money or there being any reporting for a need for repair. All I knew was that 2 out of the 3 ambulances got shut down in a scheduled state inspection. The only reason that I had mentioned the dept. head was because I do understand that the TA can't be everywhere at once and that he can not fix a problem unless he knows about it. However, if he knew about it then yes it is on him. I also agree with you about the spending of money and pet projects. EMS should be a priority. This issue not only effects that department but the safety and welfare of the people in the town. I understand that not everything is always going to be perfect. I also understand that things are going to happen but it is the way that issues are addressed and problems are solved that are really the most important. Ok so 2 of the ambulances got shut down but to have both of them out of service and to leave the town with 1 ambulance for 2 weeks and counting is unacceptable. I know things cost money but there could have been some type of emergency repair done to 1 of the ambulances that way the EMS could atleast have a second ambulance to work with. As I said, I agree with you and I thank you for filling me in on some of the past history because I was not aware of any of that. I just began posting on this site and new to being active in town buisness.  I read where you said that you do not chime in much. This is the reason that I decided to do this, to learn more of what is going on.

#9 2011-05-09 23:33:18

Spanky & mrs.duff,
Thanks for "chiming in" about this. I totally agree with you both. Maybe others in town will sit up and take notice when it effects them directly.

Andrews should've already been fired. Not gonna happen though. Not with Begley, Schneider (..and probably Cruz and Holmes) still in his corner. They'll blame it all on previous people, a bad economy (and "hate" bloggers)..anything but themselves..but it won't matter who's fault it is then. We'll all be left to pick up the pieces.. While Andrews and his friends will walk away having been well paid to facilitate our demise. I'm afraid we'll have to hit rock bottom before people realize what dire straits we're in.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com