#1 2011-04-02 10:28:12

From the Standard Times:

"Andrews said. "I've commissioned Powers & Sullivan to do a thorough investigation, which has begun, to research further the accounting links and to begin to put in a fiscal recovery plan with the town accountant's office."
The investigation should yield more information in coming weeks, according to Andrews, who said he didn't immediately know how much the probe would cost."

How much will this debacle cost the taxpayers?

Will Biz sit at home & collect a paycheck for 8+ weeks while we the taxpayers pay for someone else to do the accounting job?

#2 2011-04-02 11:06:30

I dont think 100% of the blame goes on the accountant but a very sizeable portion of this mess does as well as the Town Administrator and they need to be held accountable.    LizMcD, you bring up another major concern, how much more is it going to cost us?  I would like to add how much has this already cost us?

Back a few months ago at one of the BOS meetings they discussed adding another new position for the accountant and hired an assistant town accountant.  I believe they removed a position from the town collector (which was actually praised in the audit for having correct figures) and gave it to the accountants office.  Having two accountants on the job would surely make life much easier in making sure the numbers were in order properly, you would think......

Last edited by Spanky (2011-04-02 11:09:22)

#3 2011-04-02 12:05:41

I am thoroughly confused at this point.  "We" hired an accountant (with no accounting degree).  "We" knew of the problems already and yet have still not reconciled the books.  The BOS were not notified of any problems.  This is the part that I am confused about:  Is Andrews now hiring someone to research further how screwed up the books are? 

As an aside, if the accountant (with no degree) was using old practices, that is NO excuse.  Clearly if there is a problem you don't continue to go about business in the same 'ole fashion!  But the problem here is that she reports to somebody.  Someone who reports to the BOS who also report to US the taxpayers.  How is it that no one knew there was such a serious problem?  Clearly there is a disconnect here.  Ofcourse we all know that sh*t rolls down hill...

Ah, and of course for all the die hard Begley and Schneider fans:  Let's not forget, they think we are have great fiscal responsibility!

#4 2011-04-02 12:33:18

Could the new accounting firm be like our lawyers and say what ever Andrews wants them to say -- result a nice coverup.

#5 2011-04-02 13:03:13

Menrva wrote:

Could the new accounting firm be like our lawyers and say what ever Andrews wants them to say -- result a nice coverup.

Nice catch, Menrva. Yes, look at the recent history of Wall Street, which cratered and cost taxpayers billions when regulators and rating agencies, who knew which side their bread was buttered, pretended they saw nothing. Bernie Madoff was prosecuted and no one else.

Last edited by billw (2011-04-02 13:11:17)

#6 2011-04-02 14:48:35

I agree it is time to put our ledgers in order. I don't agree that Mr. Andrews should be around to see it through. No matter what anyone wants you to think, Mr. Andrews was FULLY AWARE of the DOR's recommendations and the F/Y 2009 audit. If he wasn't, then that makes it even worse. Each week we received an update at the BOS meeting on his progress toward resolving the DOR report. What may have been an significant expense last year is turning into a VERY significant expense at this point. This problem has gone on for over 2 years! Ultimately, Mark Andrews is responsible for the problem.

I said it when they hired Biz, she is in over her head. Two people argued vehemently with me and they are both named Mike (Flaherty and Schneider). Now we find out that she was not just in over her head, but that her mistakes are going to cost the town a tremendous amount of money to fix it. That is on top of the money it has cost us up to this point.

Folks, we are bleeding money like it is water.$25k more than the advertised salary for a person with no qualifications. Notice where it got us with accounting? Audit fees through the roof. We just signed a new town council that will increase our legal costs and that doesn't count the lawsuits that will ultimately be settled. We still have a great deal of unsettled labor contracts. We are now in going to increase our expenditures to fix a problem that should have been handled last F/Y. Andrews wants to hire a police chief that gets paid 175K plus perks. The budget I looked at contained increases for several department heads.

I am not comfortable with a Town Administrator that continues to spend despite the obvious problem with our revenue. I think it is time we show him the door and bring a fiscally responsible Town Administrator that is not looking to break the bank.

I want to leave you with one last thought. The hiring practice and mismanagement are a direct result of the leadership. Two of the last pieces of that disaster are going to be gone next Tuesday. Those same two, Jane and Brenda, are strong supporters of Michael Schneider and Ellen Begley. Jane has preached accountability, fiscal responsibility, and transparency. As you can see, none of that is true. Both candidates (ellen and michael) have voiced their opinion on the current state of Wareham. Both praised Biz and Andrews and how much progress they have made on the financial end of things. Do we really want to elect two candidates that have now been proven wrong and are being touted by the same two (soon to be ex) Selectmen who put us in this mess?

#7 2011-04-02 16:20:10

Larry, I am always impressed with how clearly you can see and assess things. I don't know what you do for a living (I know its a long commute) but if we are going to look for a new TA, I wonder if you could take the job. It would probably be a lot of work until things were straightened out but it would be close to home. And think how many people it would drive over the edge when Larry McDonald takes the reins.

#8 2011-04-02 16:42:23

Thanks Menrva. I appreciate the sentiment but I am not interested in the job of TA (either TA). I love what I do and don't mind the drive. There are far better qualified individuals out there and it takes sound leadership to bring them in.

#9 2011-04-03 01:22:48

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbc … 015/TOWN14

By ANIKA CLARK
aclark@s-t.com
April 02, 2011 12:00 AM

A Wareham selectman has called for the dismissal of the town accountant and/or the resignation of the town administrator after a draft audit report showed a six-figure fiscal discrepancy.

"There's a $919,000 variance between the treasurer's cash balance and the accountant's general ledger. That's the ... financial deficiency that currently exists as of June 30, 2010," said James Powers, a partner at Powers & Sullivan Certified Public Accountants, the Wakefield company that performed the fiscal year 2010 audit. "We're not sure exactly how that occurred," he said, although he said it represents a problem with internal controls.

Regardless, "the treasurer's balances were correct. The general ledger balances needed to be adjusted," Powers said. "You needed to reduce cash on the general ledger to match the treasurer's balance."

While the roughly $919,000 could have resulted from "insufficient cash procedures within fiscal year 2010," the issue is most likely the result of "many years of insufficient procedures," according to the auditor's report that was given to the town recently.

Selectman Cara Winslow said she was "stunned speechless" to learn of the matter Wednesday at a joint meeting of the Board of Selectmen and Finance Committee.

"The real issue here ... is not about the $919,000. The real issue is that we were not advised of this deficiency," said Winslow, who called for Town Accountant Elizabeth Zaleski's dismissal and/or Town Administrator Mark Andrews' resignation in a letter to the editor of the Wareham Week.

"During the audit, the auditor informed us that to date, in the current fiscal year, FY '11, the town accountant is still not reconciling and we were not advised of that either," Winslow said.

Zaleski could not be reached for comment.

Saying he has no intention of resigning, Andrews called the problem "a most serious matter."

But "the cash is in the bank. It's not like ... somebody came in and took the cash and absconded with it. That's not the case because otherwise it would have been turned over to the appropriate agency," Andrews said. "I've commissioned Powers & Sullivan to do a thorough investigation, which has begun, to research further the accounting links and to begin to put in a fiscal recovery plan with the town accountant's office."

The investigation should yield more information in coming weeks, according to Andrews, who said he didn't immediately know how much the probe would cost.

"As a result of the multitude of errors discovered with in (sic) the general ledger we have been working with the Town to conduct a complete reconciliation of all special, capital, trust and agency accounts," a draft management letter written by the auditor states. " ... A further refinement of the reconciliation process may uncover additional adjustments in FY2011."

Selectman Stephen Holmes commended Town Treasurer/Collector John Foster. And while saying it's not his personality to have a "trigger finger," he said the discrepancy needs to be resolved before this month's Town Meeting.

Meanwhile, Selectman M. Jane Donahue took issue with part of Winslow's letter.

Winslow's description of a $919,000 financial deficiency "is a mis-characterization of the problem. It makes it sound like we are short $919,900 in cash and the auditor very carefully explained that that was not the case," she said. "I think that what happened is that we had a system that was set up incorrectly. ... We had taken action to correct that system and we're looking forward to FY11's results."

Bonnie Cottuli, a member of the Finance Committee, similarly pointed to historical problems with the town's accounting system.

"With the upgrade to the accounting system, going into the future, these things won't happen," she said. "At least that's the goal."

As for the call to dismiss Zaleski or ask for Andrews' resignation?

"They inherited this problem. They didn't make the problem," Cottuli said. Zaleski "was handed what I thought was a mess and she has done the best she can possibly do with that. She has solved issue upon issue upon issue."

Asked how big of a problem the discrepancy was, Powers' response was short:

"I think the numbers speak for themselves."

#10 2011-04-03 05:51:45

If Steve lets them hang Cara out to dry as a diversionary tactic I will never speak to him again.

#11 2011-04-03 11:01:43

No surprise to me at all that Cottuli's "opinion" supports the Donahue's (again). I don't think I've seen one time she made a decision that didn't "just happen" to agree with them .. And when I once tried to "make light" of her irritating tendency to speak "condescendingly" to people who disagree with her..and say "m'kay?" every eighth word or so...who went on Bobo's site to "defend her honor"? John "Boy" Donahue (that's who). I expect more from a FinCom member than loyalty to the Donahue's on every important issue. You want a FinCom member who will "tell it like it (really) is"? Ask Bronk or Paulsen next time..(Not Cottuli).

Thanks Liz..for posting the story.

Last edited by DDPTRO (2011-04-03 11:02:40)

#12 2011-04-03 13:53:42

1. Reconcile the cash! Nothing works until it is reconciled. It may sound simple, but it isn't. Based on the management letter, there are several errors that compound the problem. This is going to cost a great deal of money. So much for any progress the town made. One step forward, five steps back.

2. Install internal controls throughout the the town. It appears the internal controls are not just a problem in accounting. I would recommend a written set that is signed off on by all employees that are part of the process. It holds them accountable for their duties. Again, this is going to cost money.

3. Terminate the contracts of Mark Andrews and Elizabeth Zaleski immediately. There is no doubt that "Biz" does not have the skills, experience and ability to handle the duties of Town Accountant. Mark Andrews is also culpable. No matter what he does going forward, he has lost his credibility and that reflects poorly on the Town of Wareham. If our current Selectmen do not want to pull the plug, then the next group in better be willing to do it. if not, I guess we will see more division in the town. Sad state affairs caused by poor leadership and poor management. Hire a town accountant as quick as possible WITH the qualifications we desire.

4. The one thing I saw in the Management letter was that John Foster seems to have his act together. I understand he was once the interim town administrator. Why not put him back in that position? I also understand his assistant is very skilled and could slide into his position. This is a semi cost savings measure. We lose a salary, at least termporarily. How he chooses to deal with other issues could be part of his "interview" for the permanent position.

5. Immediately terminate negotiations with Stanley. We simply cannot afford his demands and based on his fiscal management, we can't afford that either. The WPD seems to do well the other 6 days when stanley isn't here, why not see how they do without the additional cost of his consulting contract? It is my understanding that Mark Andrews still has not provided the names for the civil service Chief test to the state and if he misses the deadline, we might end up with an interim chief of THEIR choosing.

6. Delay town meeting a month. That might give everythign a chance to settle. Budget numbers are critical and expenditures are going to be scrutinized. The atmosphere is ripe for a miserable Town Meeting fulled with anger and confusion. Give Foster a chance to right the ship, hire a new town accountant and let them get our internal controls up and running.

Last but not least, the FinCom should take this opportunity to inform the administration of exactly what they need and when they need it. It's time all departments and boards work together.

#13 2011-04-03 15:41:52

another person to go should be miles burke ,either get the proper licences or you will have to go.                                                                                             lLETTING THE TA GO IS A PROBLEM IN GETTING A  GOOD TA BECAUSE WE HAVE LET A LOT OF  TOWN ADMIERSTRATORS  GO, BUT WE WILL HAVE TO BITE THE BULLIT.                                                                                      I THINK THE CIVEL SERVICE SHOULD SENT A TEMP. POLICE CHIEF TO WAREHAM INSTEAD OF PUTTING SOME ONE FROM WAREHAM IN TEMPORALYAND KEEP THE POLITICS OUT OF THIS , THE EXAM SHOULD BE OPEN TO THE WHOLE STATE.                                                                                      ALSO PEOPLE ON THE  FINANCE COMMITE LIKE COTTUI AND OTHER JAYNE AND BRENDA BUMB KISSERS  SHOULD RESIGN.

#14 2011-04-03 15:46:47

Slager Should Not Get One More Dime In Advertising From The Town Of Wareham,  Cheap He Is Not Because A Lot Of People Do Not Read His Paper ,he Is Not A Weekly Paper  And Therefore Should Not Be Considered In Getting Wareham Advertising. He Is A Tabloid And I Dont Consider Him A Ledgimate Paper .

#15 2011-04-03 16:32:25

Great post, Larry.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com