#1 2011-03-31 10:32:59

If you haven't read the DOR report of the Town of Wareham Financial Management review, here is the website: http://www.mass.gov/Ador/docs/dls/mdmst … hamFMR.pdf

The town was told to hire an assistant to the accountant. This report came out in the summer of 2010.
The reason for hiring an assistant to the accountant is advised in the report here:

Conclusion – Day-to-day accountant responsibilities are being completed including the maintenance of municipal books and processing vendor and payroll warrants. The concerns we have generally deal with higher-level issues such as preventing appropriation deficits, verifying revolving funds, and closing the town’s books as described in the overall financial management section of this report. Of concern as well is the absence of a designated person with the skills necessary to act in the accountant’s place. In addition, the town accountant must begin reconciling cash and receivables on a monthly basis, and the department should also verify that offices are reconciling expenditure reports.

32. Establish Expectations

The town accountant has legal everyday duties that require her attention and also has an instrumental role in addressing the financial management concerns expressed in the Director of Account’s April letter and outlined at the beginning of this report. To create focus and measure progress, we recommend that the town administrator and accountant agree to a clear set of priorities. Once the town administrator’s expectations are established, the accountant should develop a timeline for completing the tasks necessary to meet them. To help, she should set aside time each day when she can work without interruption.
In addition, we believe the town accountant could benefit from continued training to help her meet the reporting requirements of DOR for the Tax Recap Sheet, Schedule A and year-end balance sheet for free cash certification. Available resources include the Massachusetts Municipal Auditors’ & Accountants’ Association (MMAAA) which hosts an annual school in Amherst, MA, as well as the Division of Local Services which has a number of publications and guidelines available on its website www.mass.gov/dls. Although it can be expensive, officials might also consider the services of an outside consultant who can sit with the accountant one-on-one and review practices and procedures.

33. Appoint Assistant Town Accountant

Given the growing financial complexities and demands on the office, the need to appoint a skilled assistant town accountant is becoming increasingly apparent. The individual should be trained in municipal accounting practices and have the skills necessary to perform a variety of professional accounting duties, including the monitoring and reconciliation of accounts and preparing complex records and reports. The individual should also have the ability to assume the responsibilities of, and have authorization to act as, the town accountant in the event of her absence.

34. Complete Monthly Reconciliations

It is our understanding that although internal reconciliations of cash and receivables are taking place in the treasurer/collector’s office, balances have not been reconciled to the accountant’s general ledger since June 2009. According to the accountant, this gap is attributed to issues with the current software. Still, the reconciliation of cash and receivables are essential financial controls and should be a priority. The town accountant is primarily responsible for coordinating regular monthly reconciliations and should arrange a time with the treasurer/collector at the end each month to meet and complete reconciliations, or to receive balances that she would then compare to the general ledger. It is their collective responsibility to resolve variances. To be successful, all respective records need to be up-to-date. The town administrator should consider appropriate steps to ensure that a regular schedule of reconciliations takes place moving forward. We also encourage the reconciliation of debt and grants.

#2 2011-03-31 13:02:31

That's a lot of verbiage to arrive at, "Biz, you can't find your own ass with both hands and a flashlight."

#3 2011-03-31 15:08:35

Thank you for posting that, Liz

But notice, the focus of that posting is on the accountant, which is appropriate. It is equally appropriate, however, to have the focus on the Treasurer/Collector. One cannot assume that whatever figures coming from the T/C to the Accountant are 'perfect'; but get all bollixed up in the accountant's office. It takes TWO to tango; or in this case, two to mangle.

The T/C should be under just as much scutiny as the accountant in these situations. Trust my prior experience here. I've seen this dance before.

Last edited by stewie (2011-03-31 15:09:20)

#4 2011-03-31 15:31:35

Actually, I attended the meeting Stewie. According to Mr. Powers, they were confident that reconciliation process done by the Treasurer is sound. The issue was between the ledger and the Treasurer. According to Mr. Powers, there has been NO reconciliation in F/Y 2011, which means the same issue that plagued the F/Y 2009 audit and the F/Y 2010 audit is still a problem. It is actually a basic issue that has huge implications.

I would put the burden on the Town Accountant and the Town Administrator. Be aware that it is difficult to trust any numbers coming out of the administration when they have not performed the proper reconciliation. Think about this in terms of free cash, actual expenditures, and comparison to budget. Not good considering we are going to be asked to vote on the budget and free cash spending at the upcoming town meeting.

The DOR and the Auditors both cited this issue in F/Y 2009 and nothing was done. I believe it is up to the leadership (Selectmen) to communicate to the Administration that this needs to be fixed NOW. Frankly, I was tired of hearing how much the administration had accomplished on the DOR report. It is clear the biggest issue was ignored.

#5 2011-03-31 16:13:45

Thank you Larry, for refocusing me on the crux of the problem. This is why I love this site.

You have broached a swarm of issues there, all valid, all pressing. We need you in the mix, my friend.

Let me address one issue, which will be muddied beyond salvation over the next few weeks & months: free cash.

There is only one number that counts here, the free cash certified by the Bureau of Accounts last July. That is the ONLY free cash that can be appropriated in the next Town meeting, less any apropriations made for last fall's Town meeting. The DoR will NOT allow the April TM to appropriate based on free Cash TO BE certified this coming summer, say July (at best).

So, then. What is available in Free Cash for the April TM?

1. The snow & ice deficit (no doubt there is one) can be cured by Free Cash, transfers, or on the FY12 Recap Sheet.  do you know which?

2. Biz brought up the overlay in an odd, hard-to-follow manner. Are any of the Fiscal years overlay accounts in deficit? These can be made up by using Free Cash, transfers, or on the FY12 Recap sheet. Do you know which?

3. Are there any other revenue deficits to be cured?

The Free Cash to be certified this July can be used at the Fall town meeting. Will it be a positive number? a negative number? Key question, is it not?

It never !@#$%^&* ends, now does it?

Last edited by stewie (2011-03-31 16:16:08)

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com