#1 2011-02-13 17:06:56

Good afternoon!

There seems to be conflicting reports about whether or not that now infamous writing thing is going forward. Good luck to Sue Green in handling that hot potato.

It seems to me that the Griz had options in setting up this program.

1. Wareham Public Schools. Hello! griz! You see those buildings across the parking lot and down the hill, they are SCHOOLS, they are filled with TEACHERS, many of whom teach ENGLISH, and some of those may know a little something about teaching WRITING.

Not only that, but Dr. Barry R. has been taking a bit of a hit from a certain loud Select-Bozo. So, here was a chance for the Schools to step up and help this program, in my opinion. Win-win all around.

2. If for some reason the Wareham Public Schools were a dead-end, then there are quite a few other school systems in close proximity. Carver - Plymouth - ORR - Tabor, etc. Would it have been that hard to mine these resources?

3. Dr. Jones. (yes, you read that right). He is on the faculty at BSU, correct? BSU has many who teach English, some of whom might even spealize in writing. So, could Dr. Jones have contacted a fellow faculty member about this program. How about a grad student? or even an advanced undergrad?

4. If Jones bombed out, there are still plenty of institutions of higher learning in reasonable proximity, closer than Stanley's commute, even. There are the Community Colleges: Bristol. Massasoit, Cape Cod. UMass/Dartmouth. Stonehill in Easton, Wheaton in Norton. Lotsa options; just make a few phone calls.

But instead of an accredited professional, the Town got BoBo. Instead of a neutral, non-partisan experienced instructor, the Town got BoBo. Instead of a good idea evolving into a positive experience for the enrollees, the Town got BoBo.

I've got more to say on this. But first, let's here from all of you on this.

#2 2011-02-13 17:37:27

Bilgewater is too busy maintaining his effetists web site to participate.

How about Savigeau...he has learned from the best about creative writing...no facts...create a story, pretend it is factual, and then publish...great job for that mooch.

#3 2011-02-13 18:12:13

I have heard that Curly and Brucey will co-teach a course called "How to Pass the Bar Exam at Some Point Between Now and the Next Ice Age."

#4 2011-02-13 18:32:50

Hey...it took "John John" how many times? He was smarter.

#5 2011-02-13 19:00:51

stewie wrote:

But instead of an accredited professional, the Town got BoBo. Instead of a neutral, non-partisan experienced instructor, the Town got BoBo. Instead of a good idea evolving into a positive experience for the enrollees, the Town got BoBo.

State and local governments have employed large patronage systems. Big-city political machines in places such as New York, Boston, and Chicago thrived in the late nineteenth century. A patronage system not only rewards political supporters for past support, it also encourages future support, because persons who have a patronage job try to retain it by campaigning for the party at the next election.

The assassination of President james garfield in 1881 by a disgruntled office seeker who did not receive a political appointment spurred Congress to pass the Civil Service Act, or Pendleton Act of 1883 (5 U.S.C.A. § 1101 et seq.). The act, which at the time only applied to 10 percent of the federal workforce, created a Civil Service Commission and advocated a merit system for the selection of government employees. By 1980, 90 percent of federal positions had become part of the civil service system. In addition, the passage in 1939 of the Hatch Act (53 Stat. 1147) curtailed or restricted most partisan political activities of federal employees.

Last edited by billw (2011-02-13 19:01:30)

#6 2011-02-14 01:12:32

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/sidepic/nailsonchalkboard.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#7 2011-02-14 07:42:45

Ahh...Bill W's reaction to any discussion of the former newspaper publisher and writer of fiction....He hates to hear the name or any reference to said cockroach.

#8 2011-02-14 13:06:46

danoconnell wrote:

Ahh...Bill W's reaction to any discussion of the former newspaper publisher and writer of fiction....He hates to hear the name or any reference to said cockroach.

Nahh, I was just anticipating the pain for those who pay to hear said cockaroach.

#9 2011-02-14 13:20:59

I feel your pain...

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com