#1 2010-10-29 17:30:55

#2 2010-10-29 17:55:53

I absolutely love it, Bill...how true.

History allows us to read what was said by politicians about each other back in the early 1800's.

Then, civility took place until about 1968.

I wonder if it will turn again?

Thanks for the good chuckle.

#3 2010-10-29 18:29:21

The election of 1800 was certainly beyond nasty. but later, Adams & Jefferson became avid correspondents, moving past their little dust-up.

And how does anyone account for the extreme irony of the two penpals dying on the same day? that day was July 4, 1826; exactly 50 years after July 4, 1776.

I have read that Jefferson's last words on that day were: "Adams lives." Only for a few more hours.

So, there is hope, after all, if these two could die as friends.

sure the eelctions involving Ike & Adlai in the 1950's were pretty tame. But how 'bout Grover Cleveland in the late 1800's: "Ma, Ma, where's my Pa? Off to the White House, Ha, Ha, Ha!" Referring to rumors that he fathered a child out of wedlock. I'd put the beginning of the modern era of incivility at the election race between LBJ & Goldwater in 1964. Remember the little girl in the field of daisies?

I lived in a Town where such an approach would get you rejected, not elected. Perhaps that's the answer: a determined intolerance for such behavior. but going negative is soooooo easy....

#4 2010-10-29 18:58:14

Ahhh...wonderful history, nota.

However, it was Adams who stated as his last words on July 4th, "Jefferson lives!"

Sadly, Jefferson had died about 5 hours before.

Your point is well taken. When the dust settles, everyone wanting to have a great Town will eventually get together.

Thanks for the memories, Stewie!

#5 2010-10-29 19:23:31

By the way, the only reason I pointed out the Adams/Jefferson deaths was to avoid any academicians from the WTF site discrediting anyone on this sire.

That's the difference...we cover each other. We are REAL!

#6 2010-10-29 20:08:59

DanO, you are quite correct on both counts: most particularly, the interrealtionships on this site among the, yahknow: group, crew, corps, cadres, rabble.

I checked. It is a mystery to me why I reversed the commentary of jefferson & Adams on their final day. Here is what David McCullough reports on page 646 in his wonderful book: John Adams:

At Monticello: "Sometime near four in the morning Jefferson spoke his last words. calling to the servants "with a strong clear voice"..."Jefferson died at approximately one o'clock in the afternoon on July 4...."

At Quincy: " late in the afternoon....(Adams) stirred and whispered clearly enough to be understood, "Thomas Jefferson survives". AT about 6:20, his heart stopped..."

The juxtaposition of the deaths of these two giants among men gets to me every time.

#7 2010-10-30 08:20:27

I agree nota...it is significant history and quite appropriate today.

Where is the love, man?

#8 2010-10-30 17:12:15

Dan, Nota I would be extremely worried knowing that Mike9f has our police officers backs if I were of that profession.  I should tell you both, that I am at peace knowing that both of you and the rest of this "brotherhood" has mine. 

Interesting history lesson at a time in this town.  BillW, thanks for reminding us of how politics can be, should be, and never be.

#9 2010-10-30 20:52:58

Bosoxx wrote:

thanks for reminding us of how politics can be, should be, and never be.

Expecting a civil response while someone's cheating you for all you're worth is asking too much. Eckstrom and Donahue have absolutely no shame when they claim, as they did last week, we defame them.(*)

And our town moderator agreed.

Galling, isn't it? Are y'all ready to roll over and play dead?

(*)Yes, I know they were referring to me. The rest of you, they'll have you believe, are sheep led to their slaughter. Boy, am I evil.

Here's another take on the same subject.

http://www.youtube.com/user/stefbot

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com