#1 2010-10-20 19:37:19

When is the Town of Wareham going to call for a Chief's exam?

Bourne police chief confirms retirement
hwysocki@capecodonline.com
October 20, 2010
BOURNE — As revelers ring in the new year, Police Chief Earl Baldwin will ring in his retirement from the department he has served for more than three decades.

For weeks, rumors abounded that Baldwin would retire from the force. Town Administrator Thomas Guerino said that Baldwin mentioned the move to him earlier this fall.

"I've heard he's going to retire," Guerino said. "He and I have chatted."

Baldwin confirmed the chatter on Tuesday in a phone interview with the Times.

"Oh, it's very true," he said of his retirement plans. The retirement papers to be submitted to the town's retirement board "are sitting at home on my desk."

The chief said his last day in the office will most likely be Nov. 18 — his 36th anniversary of joining the Bourne department — and that he would use vacation time until his official retirement in early January.

It is a common practice that has been used by other public safety officials in the past, said Guerino, including former Police Chief John Ford and former Fire Chief Charles Kleuber, who retired in November 2006.

In the case of an extreme emergency, Baldwin would still technically be employed at the department during his vacation and could step in to help, Guerino said.

After his official retirement date, an interim chief would be appointed. According to 2008 records, Baldwin made $99,417.75.

The town of Bourne has already scheduled a civil service exam for the spring to update its statewide list of police officials who would be eligible for the permanent chief position, according to the town administrator.

Baldwin replaced Ford in January 2007, when the longtime chief — who now serves as chairman of the board of selectmen — retired.

Baldwin spent his life in the Bourne Police Department, moving up through the ranks from a patrolman to chief, but said it's time for a new chapter in his life.

"I'm going to take some time for myself and my daughter," he said.

HELLO? Anybody home?

#2 2010-10-20 19:52:29

danoconnell wrote:

The town of Bourne has already scheduled a civil service exam for the spring to update its statewide list of police officials who would be eligible for the permanent chief position, according to the town administrator.

One less Merrimack Valley job opportunity.

#3 2010-10-21 08:20:11

I GUESS ONLY WHEN THE CORUPPT LEADERS IF YOU CAN CALL THEM THAT JANE AND BRENDA ARE VOTED OUT OF OFFICE AND WE ELECT PEOPLE WHO ARE HONEST IN THERE PLACE WILL WE GET DECENT LEADERSHIP AND A CALL FOR A CHIEFS EXAM , TOWN LEADERS ARE REQUIRED TO INFORM THE STATE WHEN CHIEFS RETIRE AND WAREHAMS CORUPPT LEADERS DID NOT INFORM THE STATE.

#4 2010-10-22 09:04:55

Ok, before I get slammed...I ask this question with true intentions:  Why are so many people against Chief Stanley?  I don't know a lot of his background, but from what I can see (which might be slightly skewed) I think he has been doing a good job.  I liked Joyce.  I found him to be personable and respectable.  I didn't neccesarily "know" him, but had a few dealings with him (not because I was the perp!) and thought his leadership was strong.  But he is not here anymore and we need a permanent chief.  I know there was allegtions that he was racist, but if I'm not mistaken they were all proven unfounded.  So again, I ask respectively, what's up with Chief Stanley?

#5 2010-10-22 11:20:27

I don't have a problem with interim Chief Stanley. I have a problem with not calling for an exam, thereby giving Police Officers of Wareham, who are qualified, the opportunity of seeking and possibly receiving the position. I think Stanley could be a finalist.

The real question is: why hire someone that is retiring from another Town. Why not give a younger person the opportunity to be Chief for many years in the Town of Wareham. The future is what you should be looking at. Foresight....build for the future.

Band aid cures have not worked. Time to take to responsibility to another level and give people the chance to achieve success in their chosen field.

Time to give a chance to those who have dedicated their lives to Wareham.

Last edited by danoconnell (2010-10-22 14:35:34)

#6 2010-10-22 11:28:19

By the way, Bosoxxx....don't believe the bullshit you read on WTF's site.

NO-ONE accused the Chief of being a racist. We passed on information, which was investigated, and resolved. No accusations, just a need for investigation. If the situation had NOT been investigated, you would have some very serious problems in Town.

Stanley is ending his career...it's time to find someone who is BEGINNING his or her career as a Chief.

#7 2010-10-22 15:10:20

bosoxx, the question as i see it is less Stanley per se, and far more with the process, or lack thereof, that yielded Stanley.

Police Chief gone? where was the search committee?
Where was the civil service exam, as DanO has referenced frequently?
Where was the outside consultant used by numerous communities to find the "best available" candidates?
Where were the public interviews of the candidate finalists?
where were the public deliberations and vote of the BoS to choose the individual to fill this critical position?

Instead, we get an annoited one, out of the blue. And, we get NO transparency; but instead, we get rumors of a deal to create a new position, which I dubbed "Superchief", to have Stanley oversee the police dept., the EMS, and the harbormaster. And thus, bypassing the civil service arena by creating a Department of Public Safety (or  whatever you want to call it); but, certainly not a Chief of Police. Heavens, no.

This would permit the BoS to slime around the citizen/voters/taxpayers of the Town, who are denied any and all input into the "process". It allows the BoS to slime around the civil service regulations. And, it denies the existing members of the Wareham PD any opportunity to become the Chief of the community they serve.

DanO posted a newspaper article about the retiring Police Chief in the adjoining town of Bourne. One who spent his entire career inthe Bourne PD, working up to become the Chief. They have formed a search committee, as in most of the Massachusetts Towns where such openings develop.

But then, there is Wareham.......

#8 2010-10-22 23:27:36

Thank you Dan and Nota, I do appreciate it.  It has never been about Stanley as a person, it has been about the process.  I do understand now.  Which of course all makes sense.  Why are we by-passing the system?  Give everyone a chance.  Stanley could certainly be in the running.  It's funny how bobo and his cult has manipulated this story and tried to turn it into something that it was not.  I've done alittle research about surrounding towns and how they hire their chief.  Very interesting.  Why does this town have to do things the hard way - always???!!!!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com