#1 2010-08-24 18:17:59

Ham of Peace here.  Hold on to your wallets, Peace Bloggers.

Word is there was a meeting about Westfield recently, and apparently certain members of the Hypocrite Elite are trying to sneak into the Westfield Project a $4 million "senior community center," to be paid for with your tax dollars.

That's right, the same people that have been crying up a storm about how the "evil library" is dragging the town down want to build a giant $4 million senior center.  And they haven't figured out yet why they're called the Hypocrite Elite.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm all for meeting senior's needs, but it seems like there's plenty of space in the multi-service center, and there are giant corporations that don't even have a $4 million dollar building.  What would be the cost of staff and keeping up such a building for the Wareham taxpayer?

Also of interest - possible money sources bandied about to  pay for the Westfield project are money raised from taxes on the Wareham Crossing Mall and CPC, among others.

Sorry, I probably should have warned you all to grab a barf bag before you read the above post.

#2 2010-08-24 18:26:53

ASS HOLES SAYS IT ALL.

#3 2010-08-24 18:39:05

"senior community center"=jobs for the unemployable?..the bad stench of Westfield continues to hang around..

#4 2010-08-25 09:40:35

Perhaps all the Police Officers in Town should be polled about the need of a new station as opposed to Brucey's meal ticket/senior housing development..

#5 2010-08-25 10:33:05

40 to 5 municipal maintenance workers, major cuts throughout the budget, state aid dwindling, no raises for town employees in 4 years and these clowns want to build a $4 million center for old timers to play canasta in.  Look, we get it, the Hypocrite Elite needs to buy votes if they are going to stand a chance in next year's election, but the town can't afford to keep them in office.

#6 2010-08-25 10:42:18

Irvin Russell amended Article 20 on the warrant for Spring Town Meeting 2010:

I move to refer Article Twenty to a Study Committee made up of one member of the Finance Committee, one member of the Wareham elected Housing Authority, one member of the Board of Selectmen, one member of the Counsel on Aging, and three citizens at large, to be appointed by the Appointing Authority, to come back to the Fall Town Meeting with a report"

Instead of a report, we get another article. When are we going to stop putting the cart before the horse? I voted for the amended article because I felt a study of Westfield would be the best way to proceed. There are obviously issues with the deed (as discussed by the committee) and now we hear that the Chairman of the COA board wants to tack on another $4million for a Senior Center? We, the voters at town meeting requested a REPORT, not an Article. We wanted all the issues with Westfield put to bed.

If this reminds you of the CRC, you would be right. They were appointed to STUDY THE CHARTER and they ignored that charge and built their own charter. In much the same way, this committee decided to work towards an amendment despite the fact they were charged with studying Westfield and bringing a REPORT to fall Town Meeting.

The best way to have an article defeated is to ignore the voters and ignore what you were charged with doing. 4 times Westfield has been defeated. 4 times! Do the leg work, issue the report and then we can talk about an article. If you ignore the process, your results are VOID.

Last edited by Larry McDonald (2010-08-25 10:56:06)

#7 2010-08-25 13:48:48

I have a question for proponents of the $4 million dollar COA facility on the Westfield property: Did you research the extent to which the Wareham Y caters to our older population?.  Did you tour this $9 million dollar, seven thousand member institution whose policy is to turn no one away? Did you sit down with the Y leadership to find out how much of what you are saying Wareham needs is already available and will continue to be supplemented in the years ahead in order to keep pace with a growing population?

The Wareham Gleason Family Y  is an extraordinary facility with an outstanding professional staff, but in the years that it has been here not once have I heard an elected town official make reference to the extent to which the Y has made a difference to  people of all ages and all income levels.

As a card carrying geezer, there's something else I'd like to toss into this whole Westfield matter. I think it's a mistake to isolate old people from the general population.  Don't put us "out to pasture". What could be more depressing than a facility where there are no young people and where nothing is talked about but bad knees?

#8 2010-08-25 14:54:52

LMAO, Dick...

#9 2010-08-25 15:14:03

I hope someone gets a petition together, gathers their 10 (TEN) whole signatures and for once and for all end the Westfield argument.
I don't care what a consultant says...everyone knows what Westfield was intended for since the 1977 Town Meeting.

Put an article on the Warrant that asks if the people of Wareham want to restrict the use of the Westfield property for recreational use only. No schools, no homes, no condos, no rental units, no ALFs, no senior or junior centers....just paths and bike ways and camping facilities and docks and fishing and horse trails and....you know.

The idea of LEASING land to a developer for alleged low income, fixed income, senior housing, etc., is nonsense.

With all of the distressed properties, some Town owned, that can be renovated to provide senior or fixed income housing and would receive Federal and State GRANT monies (assuming you hire another qualified grant writer) you could put everyone who is in need of decent housing, who LIVES in Wareham, into a comfortable home environment.

Let the voters decide one way or the other and put some finality on it.

I thinks the chances of the Town Meeting voting to put housing on the Westfield property has as much of a chance as the troll being elected Selectman in Halifax...none.

#10 2010-08-25 16:23:35

I HERE THE NEW MALL PROMISED TO GIVE THE TOWN MONEY FOR A  FEW YEARS ,EACH AND EVERY YEAR  FOR AWHILE , I HERE THAT JANE IS TRYING TO GET THIS YEARS DONATION SENT TO WEST FILD , ALSO WATCHING LAST NITES MEETING YOU WOULD THINK THAT CRONIN AND BRUCE WERE ON THE BOARD  AS IT SEEMED THAT THERE AGENDA WAS ALL THAT WAS TALKED ABOUT LAST NITE.         PLEASE DONT WE HAVE A SENIOR CITZENS BUILDING AT THE BUILDING NEXT TO TOWN HALL.      I THINK A NEW POLICE STATION IS CALLED FOR FIRST ,  JANE AND BRENDA ARE OUT OF CONTROL , DEFEAT WESTFIELD , SENT JANE AND BRENDA A MESAGE WE WILL BE TOSSING YOUR ASS OUT NEXT.

#11 2010-08-25 18:57:08

Didn't the plans submitted when Westfield was presented show a club house?

I think any money spent should be for improving the housing our seniors have. The westfield project doesn't assure our seniors of 100% of the housing.

This is like saying "let them eat cake"

#12 2010-08-25 19:18:33

Lets get real.............do any of you really think that the whole Westfield thing remains viable becaue the arguement is valid ?????

It remains valid in the eyes of those that are receving money to push it's successful acceptance.  The Town said no over and over........we don't want this !!!  but Bobo and Bruce and the Curlie's and that vile
Brenda woman continue to push with WESTFIED. 

Bobo and Bruce continue to beat the drum for this waste of taxpayer's money and do so because they are getting something ????  Just how much Fish are you getting you two dopes ????

Kill Westfield once and for all............Take Wareham Back from the the scumbags who only want to line their pockets at the expence of the honest people of Wareham.......................

#13 2010-08-25 20:45:31

You know the tin hats are morons when their bright idea to get a plan passed that has been rejected multiple times is to make it bigger by $4 million.

#14 2010-08-25 22:18:36

I'd like to ask if the Westfield study committee ever discussed Westfield being used for recreational use...or was it just a given that they would look at it for housing...

#15 2010-08-26 18:37:08

Does anyone know how many people involved in the Westfield push have donated to Barney Frank. He is up for re-election and those running against him should know if he is mixed up in Wareham's problems.

#16 2010-08-26 18:43:40

One more thing. Say you worked hard, to move from nothing to something, and wanted to give back to the community. You have a piece of land you would love the future children of Wareham to run and play on. Would you donate it to a town when you know they will turn it over to some contractor to build on and completely ignore your wishes?

#17 2010-08-26 19:29:26

THEY BRENDA AND HER CROWD ARE ELITE PEOPLE THEY KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR US PEONS ,AND IT DOES NOT HELP IF MAYBE SOME ENVELOPES ARE BEING PASSED AROUNDIF THAT IS THE CASE.

#18 2010-08-27 08:13:40

Another interesting tidbit from the recent Westfield meeting...

Apparently at the meeting certain non-Hypocrite Elitists brought up the possibility of renovating Agawam, to which one Hypocrite Elitist replied why fix something old when you can have something new?

Anyone else a little offended by that?  Agawam is in bad disrepair NOW.  That place has elderly folks living there NOW that could benefit from having a fixed up place to live in NOW. 

It's too bad the Hypocrite Elite would apparently rather let people who need help NOW flap in the breeze to build something new when something we already have needs to be fixed NOW.

Also shows you how they have no sense of logic when they suggest a $4 million dollar center before fixing Agawam.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2010-08-27 08:14:25)

#19 2010-08-27 08:31:39

I've heard that Hypocrite Elitists who suggested to build a $4 million senior center in Westfield got the idea from a new, similarly priced senior center in Lakeville, seen below:

http://www.lakevillema.org/images/Senior-Center.jpg?0.6767760109571636

I think it's great that Lakeville has a senior center, but let's be honest.  We have town employees that haven't received a raise in 4 years who will probably leave if they can find jobs where they'll get raises, our municipal maintenance workforce has been decimated, and that has had a visibile effect on the upkeep of our town, there have been cuts in all departments, many departments have operated without a permanent, full time department head for years.

Good for Lakeville for building one, but hey, what can I say?  When a town doesn't have leaders with their heads up their asses (AKA the Hypocrite Elite), then it can accomplish things like this. 

That certain Hypocrite Elitists suggested this idea given the sorry state of affairs the town's finances are in (look at the DOR report's heavy criticism of how the town was run by the Brucey Bunch), it showed bad judgment to even bring the idea up.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com