#1 2010-08-05 19:33:47

That's what democracy should be about,but the process has been dormant in Wareham for too long.

It took "Tiny"Lopes to make the system start to work, but it also took Selectmen humble enough to accept criticism, plus a responsive TA, to make it happen.

You should all  watch/listen again to "Tiny's" powerful, but rational and reasoned, address to the BOS last week. A year ago his very fair "dressing down" would have provoked a lecture on Wareham's hard times by the Chairman.  This year the "new majority" not only listened, but acted. Ditto for Mark Andrews.The system can work without a mayor !!

"Tiny" Lopes called for a massive"clean-up" from the Mayflower Bank in Depot Square to the East side of Onset.....And it's been happening all week !   No lame excuses from The Top, but an acknowlegement of the validity of the complaint  by throwing in the troops.   Kudos for the BOS and for a TA who shows promise of being a good listener and responder.

But keep an eye on Tiny Lopes, for there is a man born to lead.

Last edited by Dick Wheeler (2010-08-05 19:37:24)

#2 2010-08-05 19:53:04

Dick...since you suggested watching Tiny Lopes at the last BoS Mtg..I thought I'd report that, thus far, I've been unable to overcome the issues I'm having trying to upload that meeting. Bobo accused me of "holding back" the posting of this meeting..Bobo, seriously..I've posted something like 150 full meetings..why, oh why would I purposely NOT post this one?? Get a grip, asswipe..YOU ARE NOT THAT SPECIAL..in fact, responding to your dumb accusations is (I know) a mistake..because it just feeds that GIANT ego..and tiny brain.

I'm still hoping to get a good copy of the meeting posted as soon as possible...In fact I've had it uploaded since the day after the meeting..but it's terrible..just to show anyone who doubts that it's "unwatchable" I'll post the first ten minutes..here, now..I'm sure the next false claim will be that I (for some reason) "messed up" the audio on purpose. OK, whatever.. Here it is..

TBW
P-SPAN

#3 2010-08-05 20:31:13

In a strange twist, Onset resident Christopher Gay wrote a letter to the Editor praising the Town for all its beauty!!..not just Onset, but throughout the town there are messes that need to be dealt with..was just wondering which rose-colored glasses he was looking through..

#4 2010-08-05 21:06:39

I hear you, Slagis, but my "read" on the Christopher Gay letter was that he was talking more about the positive tone  of Onset. "Tiny" Lopes talked about that too, by praising the efficiency of the hopelessly understaffed Maintenance Department, plus the tremendous tone setting as a result of the revival of  The Summer Police.  It's all good stuff. What "Tiny" zeroed in on was the apparent lack of recognition by "The Town Fathers" of  the critically important role of Onset in Wareham's economy.  The great thing about Tiny Lopes' address was that he gave a  very strong but diplomatic  "wake-up" call to the BOS.. and the TA.... and they woke up!

As  Five Star General of the Army, Dwight Eisenhower once defined leadership as getting people to do..willingly..a task that they would not have chosen themselves . 

Chris Gay and Tiny Lopes are like two artists looking at a subject they  both admire from different perspectives.

#5 2010-08-05 21:08:02

Dick I did notice the section by the bank has been cleaned up. Did you see the town of Wareham doing the clean up? The only thing I have seen for the past couple of days is an older Cape Verdean man who was using a well worn shovel to clean up along the curb.

I immediately thought of my grandmother who insisted that we sweep the sidewalks as well as the gutter in front of her house every week. If everyone would pitch in and clean up the section in front of their homes things would look a lot nicer.

#6 2010-08-05 21:33:18

Ham of Peace here.

I thought he gave a good speech and I think everyone by now realizes that the Hypocrite Elite made alot of phoney baloney promises to Onset during elections then ignored them once they got into office. 

The former dictatorship cut municipal maintenance down from 40 workers to 5.  Sorry, but one of the basic duties a town government has is to keep all of its infrastructure clean and in good condition.  Odd how the town had enough money prior to the onslaught of these idiots but after they took charge, then we suddenly don't have the money.  Big time mismanagement and incompetence.

Services have been cut to the bone.  Town workers have been cut.  Town employees haven't had a raise in over 4 years.  Many of our department heads were forced out with the positions left unfilled for years (and the money that would have been spent on their salaries, what happened to that?)

You haven't gotten much for your tax dollar over the past few years, but you haven't seen your tax bills cut have you?

All comes down to one question to keep asking from now till next election day - WHAT ARE THESE CLOWNS DOING WITH THE TOWN'S MONEY???!!!

#7 2010-08-05 23:13:59

Ham: I hear you....loud and clear. My eyes are wide open, and my geezer reading glasses are not rose colored.  Our root problems  are deeper than the scenario I've put forward. The "method in my madness" is that I fear that we could lose credibility over time by not recognizing good things when they happen. Negativity can be habit forming.  As a site, we are dangerously close to being incapable of recognizing  good deeds by the people we love to hate.  Nobody is more  angry than I am about the past and ongoing injustices, but to win in April 2011 we'll have to have more than gripes.  So far we've been better at telling people what we don't like than we have been at describing what we want for Wareham...now and 50 years from now.

#8 2010-08-05 23:19:21

Well said, Dick.
"Tiny" Lopes for Selectman!!

#9 2010-08-06 08:03:32

Here is an interesting take on the situation "in town". How many lifeguards do we have? How many bike patrol policmen do we have? Now....here is the big question, how many Muni Maint workers do we have?

If you know the answer to these questions, you are on the right track. There is no doubt the bike patrol are needed, but where are the summer "help" for Muni Maint? The same 5 guys are the ones out picking up the beach and grooming it. They are also maintaining town vehicles and fixing other issues throughout town.

Give it some thought...

#10 2010-08-06 09:36:02

Marny" In response to your, "Who is doing the clean-up?," there has been a Sheriff's  van with a crew of young males sportily attired in flame-red pants and wielding Weapons of Grass Destruction(WGDs ) every day this week. I have also seen the five Super Heroes of our Maintenance Department with mowers and their Wicked Bush Whacker each day, clearing away the jungle growth that blocks the sidewalk in several places. Just minutes ago, as I was returning from my Tihonet Road garden,  the  Plymouth County Sheriff's Varsity WGD boys were hard at it...AND there was a platoon of Tiny Lopes supporters... heavily armed men and women...who have now become a part of The  Onset Surge Strategy. It's working.

#11 2010-08-06 11:13:25

Tiny Lopes for Selectman!!
Someone draft him!

#12 2010-08-06 19:22:49

I love it when everyone works together for a common cause. Maybe next year Tiny can advertise for volunteers for the summer to keep Onset cleaned up. I did notice down by the bank people are starting to litter again they just cleaned it up on Mon or Tues and some idiots are already starting to mess things up again. People STOP LITTERING!!!!!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com