#1 2009-12-14 18:35:47

Someone who attended the appreciation dinner given by the BOS for people who are serving on boards, committess, and commissions is pretty upset. He said that the Selectmen, after their obligatory speech thanking everyone announced that they had some special awards for a few people who had gone above and beyond their duty. Alan Slavin, Ed Pacevich, Leigh Carmody all received a special citation.
This gentleman has served his town for many many years as a volunteer and was incensed that less than a half dozen people got special recognition. These "special" people have done nothing more than anyone else who is giving up their time and effort to volunteer and yet they were singled out as going above and beyond. It sent a very bad message.
Are the volunteers not equal in what they do?   Many of the volunteers have been servingfor more years than Alan Slavin, Ed P or Leigh Carmody have lived in town, and they did not even get special rcognition for hanging in there all those years?
If you can't give everyone a special award, then don't give anyone one. They all work equally as hard.
What a shame, Ms. Donahue, what a shame.

#2 2009-12-14 18:40:27

I agree, that is really insulting.

#3 2009-12-14 18:47:45

Bad move on the part of the Board.

#4 2009-12-14 18:48:38

All are members of the CRC, and "above and beyond" must refer to the "attacks" they've sustained..Oh my head.

Video when Alan Slavin said I could record (but not videotape) a CRC meeting and Ed "are you a lawyer" Pacevich takes the cake for "Biggest A-hole of the year '09" (well, top 5 anyway, considering the field) for his shit.
...Above and beyond, indeed...

(L-R Mick Jones, Lin Gay, Ed P, Mary Ann Silva, Alan Slavin, L. Carmody, David Smith)
Thanks to ALL who serve our community (well)...Lackey's NOT included.

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-12-14 19:12:10)

#5 2009-12-14 18:58:35

I did not attend this "appreciation" dinner as I have seen first hand the "appreciation" us volunteers get on a daily basis.  Why bother to bullshit us with a one night event?  Try backing our decisions, etc all year and show us your support and appreciation at those times instead of one night a year.

#6 2009-12-14 19:13:51

The BOS is just setting these people up to run for open spots on the BOS.

It's not an impressive slate, but name recognition is always an election "plus"

#7 2009-12-15 00:17:10

Dick Wheeler wrote:

The BOS is just setting these people up to run for open spots on the BOS.

It's not an impressive slate, but name recognition is always an election "plus"

So very true.

#8 2009-12-15 07:29:11

Hey, I've been volunteering at and raising money for the library for more than 15 years now with a great group of people--the Friends of the Wareham Free Library.  In fact, last year, with the help of one super kayaker we raised $65,000 in a couple of months and spent $45,000 of it on books (to meet the certification requirement--Griswold has the invoices as proof that I'm NOT a liar) and gave the town $20,000 for salaries (accepted by the BoS, so the library could open more hours to meet certification requirements).

And the Friends just gave Ms. Griswold another $20,000 in invoices for books that we bought in the past few months (to help with certification again). Not very friendly, you say? I'd say mighty friendly!!!!

I must have missed my invite!!!  Dick, did you get yours?

#9 2009-12-15 07:52:01

Nope......no invitation, although my BOS mole tells me that Brenda  pushed for me...so to speak.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com