#1 2009-12-12 07:29:22

Yes, folks, those "evil" Friends are at it again trying to raise money to buy books for the library!!! I know, I know--The Horror!! Not very "friendly" you say?? Please read on!!

Seriously, Cosi's does this great thing for non-profits. On Sunday, Dec. 13 from 4-8 pm, Cosi's will donate 10% of the money it makes during those hours to the Friends of the Wareham Free Library!!!! The more of us who dine there between 4 and 8 pm tomorrow, means the more money the Friends will get from Cosi's.

So, (here I will also promote "positive" business in Wareham) do some Christmas shopping at your favorite stores at Wareham Crossing, and then stop in Cosi's for a bite to eat. (It's near Yankee Candle.)

The Friends will have membership forms available (easy to become "evil" with just a $10 check!!).

The Friends will have a raffle for some great prizes!!

The Friends will have their cook books there for sale !!

Cosi's has a great menu, and I can guarantee, the company of Friends will be great as well!!

Please join us tomorrow. This is an "easy" fund raiser for us. No heavy lifting so to speak! We just get to EAT!!!! And enjoy the company of Friends!!! See you there.

And thanks for all your support of the library and the Friends over this past, somewhat difficult, year. We really appreciate it.

#2 2009-12-12 07:48:09

Please everyone knows that the proceeds of this fundraiser will go to the giant lazer beam gun that the Friends are building on the surface of the moon so they can hold Planet Earth for ransom.

Just kidding, this sounds like a wonderful event hope everyone attends, thank goodness for a fine organization like this that carries on even when our select-clowns spend all of their time for some strange reason trying to stomp them out.  Thank goodness too for people like Nora who dare to speak the truth!

#3 2009-12-12 09:31:26

Ham,
If you show up, I'll buy you a coke and (as we say in the south) a sammich.

Nora,
Can we sign our recipes for friends? Okay, i'm laughing too hard this morning.

#4 2009-12-12 09:59:00

Nora,
I for one will send an email to everyone in my address book that are within driving distance. Hopefully anyone else reading this will do the same and we can promote a good turnout for the Friends.
Having lived in Wareham for so many years, I am appalled and disgusted by this attempt to defame and characterize as evil this group of people who are and have been the only ones willing to step up to the plate and give their time to raise funds to buys books and other things that the library needs.

The Friends are no different than the Town Democratic committee, who supports Democratic politicians and raises money for their campaigns. The Friends are no diffeerent than the Friends of the Elderly who are there to raise funds to help the COA. The Friends of the Library are no different than the new "arts" group that istrying to raise funds for various entities. They are no different than any other organization in town established as a private non-profit to raise funds for a specific purpose. Except, that the Friends of the Library have been successful enough to contribute generously and they have been able to do that because the make up of the organization consists of good people who are willing to be there day after day, week after week, year after year.

Just because the Friends of the Libaray has been successful, is that any reason to be jealous and to attack them? I know many of the Friends members from either working with them on other fund raising efforts they have also given their  time to, for the school when our kids were there; or I know them from Church, or from just being a neighbor. They are decent, honest, caring, kind, considerate and have made it a point to donate thier time for the good of the town.  I'm tired of these defamatory accusations and I for one will be there to buy dinner. In fact, I'll bring some friends.

Thank you Nora, for sharing all your information with us. I'm sure this is all consuming and stressful and that you'd much rather just walk away from it and let the chips fall where they may, but to hold steadfast and not let this characterization take hold is a tribute to the kind of person you are and have been over the years, as a person who has taken time to give much to this community.

#5 2009-12-12 11:00:36

Mature: What a great idea! Sending an email to your address book will be a wonderful help.  We really do have so much support from the people who know what we have done over the years for the library. Thanks for the kind words about our group. And you are right. at times, I would rather just walk away from it, but I think the only way to SAVE OUR LIBRARY will be in the election booth in April.  Until then, we've still got some work to do. I appreciate your kind words as well.

Larry: If you sign your recipe in the Friends cookbook it will be much more valuable; we can then sell the book but we will buy it back for 75% of its cost. Then, we can sell it again and make a fortune! Why hadn't I thought of that before?? I'm thinking an easy one and a half mil in no time. Just be careful, books don't sell that well if they are covered in hot cheese dip or littered with red velvet cake crumbs!! Keep em' clean.

#6 2009-12-12 14:45:35

I have cookie dough under my nails and covered in flour. I promise to clean up before tomorrow!

#7 2009-12-13 10:39:14

I have just been notified that an anonymous (I really have  no idea!) donor will match what we make from Cosi's up to $200!!!!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I can't tell you how much that helped to raise my spirits in light of the recent nastiness and accusations against the Friends of the Library, a group of volunteers whose only "crime" has been to raise and spend thousands of dollars on a truly great library.

Save your appetites for Cosi's between 4 and 8 pm today!!!

P.S. This donation was a result of someone sending out emails announcing the event. There's still time to notify friends and relatives to join us. And here's an extra thanks to the person who sent the email!!

#8 2009-12-13 10:55:23

Who is it?

#9 2009-12-13 12:16:25

Don't answer the qustion, Nora.
Moles everywhere!!

#10 2009-12-13 12:24:37

Actually Nora gave us  the name herself in the first sentence of her post.....  It was Minnie Mouse's sister , Anony.    That gal has done a lot for this town.

#11 2009-12-13 12:40:31

Dick is a hoot...

#12 2009-12-13 23:42:02

Gave my money directly to the Friends tonight! Great time at Cosi's!!

#13 2009-12-14 00:05:10

Nora, sorry I missed it! Hope it was a great turn out.
Dick, funny you should mention Minnie! Ran into her several times today :-) She said to say hi to you.

#14 2009-12-14 07:39:40

Many thanks to everyone who came out in the rain to support us!!! The food was good and the company was exceptional! We don't have the final tally from Cosi's yet, but they said we did well. We also did very well on our raffle, our membership and our cookbook sales. It was definitely a success!!

Anyone who tries to raise money for a non-profit knows that every penny counts. The Friends are grateful to our supporters. We wish you all a very Happy Holiday season.

May 2010 be a better year for the world and for Wareham!!!

#15 2009-12-14 08:51:32

It was a blast Nora! I signed recipes, chatted with friends, and avoided the baby carrots! Damn health food!

2010 will be a better year, starting in April!

Take Back Wareham.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com