#1 2009-12-09 00:06:52

As per our Mr. Chairman : "We want our money, we want it now and we'll go get it if we have to " (I guess this means more legal expenses).

So, we all just heard Brenda spew her bull s_ _t without any input from anyone and create an entire story based on her interpretation that yous bad, bad people out there are deliberately withholding settlement funds.  Instead it sounds as though the acting library director has NO $$$ to do anything.  So I guess we are suppose to deduce that it's the former Trustee's (although she said the "Friends" & she usually doesn't know WHAT she means) fault if the library fails.  Is that the message ?  I just want it to be clear.

#2 2009-12-09 08:51:24

Marcia and Brenda are constantly bashing the friends of the library. We are fortunate to have Nora on this site who is constantly updated us on how much money the friends has given to the library. Unfortunately not everyone reads this site and people who watch the selectman’s meeting will now go around town telling everyone that the friends of the library and the old trustees don’t support the library.

Nora maybe you or someone you know could write a letter to the courier listing all the monies the friends have given to the library this year. I think people in Wareham who don’t read this site need to know how much money the friends give to the library. The general public may also not be aware that the town told the friends if the library wanted new books the friends would have to pay for them.

Getting the truth out as fast as possible and to as many people as possible is important. I think everyone agrees if the amount of money spent on litigation this year was published the people of Wareham would see where the tax dollars are being wasted. If our tax dollars were not thrown away on litigation maybe the town would be in better financial shape.

Bob I think Brenda was blaming both the friends of the library and the old trustees for not helping the library.

#3 2009-12-09 09:11:07

marny wrote:

Bob I think Brenda was blaming both the friends of the library and the old trustees for not helping the library.

Marny, you may be right and I'm sure BE meant the former trustees but she stated the Friends have not deposited the settlement $$$ into the newly appointed trustee's account.  AGAIN, she spews without knowing what she's talking about.

I'm curious.  Has the "acting" director, MG, ever asked for support from the Friends ?  I'll guess not.  She has no people skills and no communication skills.

Did I tell you all about the time she flipped me off downtown and included lip service to go with the gesture (she didn't know it was me) ?  I followed her to the WCTV studio and told her to her face that she better never flip me off again.  She tried some lame excuse about being use to driving around Roxbury or Dorchester.  I reminded her that she was in Wareham now.

#4 2009-12-09 09:15:27

Marny, as you know we posted on this blog what we have spent on the library. In fact, the Friends president got a letter in the mail recently from Griswold asking for invoices and included a copy of the blog page with sections circled. So she and the BoS are fully aware, as are their lawyers of what has been spent on the library by the Friends, former Trustees and Foundation during the entire litigation.

As to the $50,000: I just got an email response from the Friends lawyer after I informed him that we were once again accused on tv by our Bos.   He said they are still waiting for K and P. One of the issues was that there was no "trust account" set up to receive the funds. That was accomplished, finally, last week. I'm not an accountant, but let's face it, it shouldn't have taken that long to set up a bank account to receive the funds!!!

Now, all the parties, each BoS, each former trustee, a rep for the Friends (me) and a rep for the Foundation, must sign the release document. We then have 30 days to turn over the $50,000 and the town has 30 days to pay our lawyer $40,000. So, whenever K and P decides to get moving, we are ready, willing and waiting to sign these forms.

Since we are all aware that the selectmen don't read papers they sign and have not read (and have "no intention" of reading!!) court documents related to this case, I have no idea what will happen.

I can tell you that I and the other library reps have read three drafts of the release agreement. Each time, K and P has added something that was already included in the attached mediation document. Of course, each time this happens, K and P adds money to its coffers. We have been quite frustrated over the town's delay in finishing this case.

So, the BoS can spout about "coming after" the money all they want. If they really wanted the money, they would call Atty. Rendazzo from K and P and tell her to move this along.  Take responsibility for your own actions BoS and stop blaming the library folks for your inability to get something as simple as a release form signed.

Last edited by Nora Bicki (2009-12-09 09:17:25)

#5 2009-12-09 10:59:30

Marcia always is always asking for money from these groups and when she doesn’t get what she wants she bad mouths them. I know the friends of the elderly use to give $25.00 gift cards for groceries but she somehow pissed them off and they longer give her anything. The friends of the elderly are having their Christmas party at the Multi Service Center today I will be leaving shortly to join them. I good time will be had by all. The only negative will be Marcia showing her face, all smiles until she goes upstairs and tells everyone how much she dislikes the friends.

Nora I know you posted that information here it would be nice if  that information could get out to the rest of the town so everyone would know the truth about how much the friends of the library have contributed.

Last edited by marny (2009-12-09 11:01:50)

#6 2009-12-09 13:17:03

Marny, I will speak with the Friends people to see how much if any other information they want to be made public. I posted those other numbers with permission from all parties. They knew about the blog post, but sending info to newspapers now would require their permission again.

Speaking for myself only here, I don't ever recall Ms. Griswold asking the Friends for money to pay for anything. Prior to her requiring that all bills be given to her by the library staff member who is responsible for that (sometime around October when we stopped paying for the books), the book bills were simply put into our Friends folder and the Friends paid for them. (MG has our invoices to "prove" we aren't lying about this). It is true however, that the Friends bank account was pretty much depleted by then with our membership going down and the fact that we paid for ALL the books and materials for the library for the past two+ years. We did have a successful holiday fair, and we make money on the used books sold in the lobby. Our cook books are also selling well, so our regular account, has recovered somewhat. The Friends will have their monthly book sales again starting in January (always on the 4th Saturday) so hopefully, our coffers will look better then.

Keep in mind, that in order to get our certification back, we will have to have proven that 15% of the library budget was spent on books and materials. Since there is no money in the library budget for that, having the Friends buy all the books up until October was very generous and will help in the future. Just because you are decertified for low hours open, it does not mean that you get a pass on the other certification requirements.

As you all know because the Friends have said this on town meeting floor, in the local newspapers and on this blog, the money in our bank accounts for the Spinney project are restricted funds. That is, donors made their donations earmarked specifically for the Spinney library. The AG's office told us that if we spend ANY of that money on the main library, that office will sue us for fraud and misappropriation of funds. I believed her!! So even if it looks like we have a lot of money, the Spinney money is held in separate accounts and does not mingle with our regular fund-raised/membership dues money. All fund raisers for Spinney have clearly been advertised as such.

Finally, I have said this before. Call around to other local libraries to see what the Friends do for those libraries. Most raise only a few thousand dollars a year and support a few programs with that money. The do NOT pay for all the library's books for over 2 years, nor do any of them donate money for salaries. It is unheard of. So, instead of being thanked by our elected officials and our acting library director, we are accused publicly of refusing to support the library. What will happen in the future? Why would Friends want to keep working so hard to raise money only to be vilified for doing so?

#7 2009-12-12 13:21:30

Nora Bicki wrote:

Marny, I will speak with the Friends people to see how much if any other information they want to be made public. I posted those other numbers with permission from all parties. They knew about the blog post, but sending info to newspapers now would require their permission again.

Speaking for myself only here, I don't ever recall Ms. Griswold asking the Friends for money to pay for anything. Prior to her requiring that all bills be given to her by the library staff member who is responsible for that (sometime around October when we stopped paying for the books), the book bills were simply put into our Friends folder and the Friends paid for them. (MG has our invoices to "prove" we aren't lying about this). It is true however, that the Friends bank account was pretty much depleted by then with our membership going down and the fact that we paid for ALL the books and materials for the library for the past two+ years. We did have a successful holiday fair, and we make money on the used books sold in the lobby. Our cook books are also selling well, so our regular account, has recovered somewhat. The Friends will have their monthly book sales again starting in January (always on the 4th Saturday) so hopefully, our coffers will look better then.

Keep in mind, that in order to get our certification back, we will have to have proven that 15% of the library budget was spent on books and materials. Since there is no money in the library budget for that, having the Friends buy all the books up until October was very generous and will help in the future. Just because you are decertified for low hours open, it does not mean that you get a pass on the other certification requirements.

As you all know because the Friends have said this on town meeting floor, in the local newspapers and on this blog, the money in our bank accounts for the Spinney project are restricted funds. That is, donors made their donations earmarked specifically for the Spinney library. The AG's office told us that if we spend ANY of that money on the main library, that office will sue us for fraud and misappropriation of funds. I believed her!! So even if it looks like we have a lot of money, the Spinney money is held in separate accounts and does not mingle with our regular fund-raised/membership dues money. All fund raisers for Spinney have clearly been advertised as such.

Finally, I have said this before. Call around to other local libraries to see what the Friends do for those libraries. Most raise only a few thousand dollars a year and support a few programs with that money. The do NOT pay for all the library's books for over 2 years, nor do any of them donate money for salaries. It is unheard of. So, instead of being thanked by our elected officials and our acting library director, we are accused publicly of refusing to support the library. What will happen in the future? Why would Friends want to keep working so hard to raise money only to be vilified for doing so?

I just watched section #7 of the Dec. 8 BoS meeting (See PSpan's link) where Brenda et al discuss the nasty library people. I didn't see it on Tuesday but now that I have watched it, I have much more to say!

Brenda said that Marcia Griswold said that she has "gotten the run around" about getting forms to apply for a grant from the Foundation. Truth: the person she first contacted did not have those forms but gave her the name of the president of the foundation, which quite frankly, for a person who claims she is so good at getting grants, you might have thought she would have, oh I don't know, gone online to the website, or asked ANYONE of the library staff the name of the president??? Not exactly brain surgery, but if she had done that, she wouldn't have been able to complain about getting the "run around." I heard she finally called the pres. of the Foundation. Great management skills.

Then, Cronan said our attorney Phil Beauragard has "dicked" around with the MIAA attorney and gotten his $40,000. In fact, until the MIAA attorney signs this release form, the $40,000 will not be released to Phil. Of course, recall on the other thread where Cronan claims that even after two years of litigation, he never read any of the court pleadings or documents. But he sure had a lot to say.  Ignorance is bliss and after slamming the library folks, that was one happy man (who does not deserve to be re-elected!)

Let's see, why don't we ask the Friends and Foundation to give money to the library, but first, let us grind them into the dirt with our nasty comments even though we don't know what the F we are talking about!! Good leadership and management skills might direct them to ask for a sit down with the presidents of both of those organizations, but then they might have a good result and would lose the chance to grind us into the dirt a bit more.

We know they read the blogs so we also know that they have read EVERY word I've written, yet in public, they say things they know not to be true. 

As above, I said the Friends available cash had been spent down on books and materials since the town hasn't bought any of those in the past two+ years. There were plenty of witnesses at the Friends meeting where the Friends said to Ms. Griswold herself that we could help again in January after we replenished our checking account. So, why criticize us now? It's just a month away and we are selling cookbooks, had a holiday fair, will get some money from Cosi's tomorrow!! We are trying. What more does she want from us? Blood doesn't buy library books.

I'm sick of these people bad mouthing us. This afternoon I will sign 3 copies of the release agreement. By Sunday night, all the library parties will have signed the release agreement. It is up to the BoS, and the MIAA attorney to sign the agreement and then we will be done. Phil B. will send the town the check from his escrow account where it has been sitting since August.

Of course, I'm shocked that K and P did not inform their clients about the status of the library case. OR perhaps they did, but the BoS only read the blog and not the important town documents as they have readily admitted. (See my postings where they all admit to some degree to not reading important documents including signing contracts without reading them!).

Come April these folks will have wished they had not been so mean and nasty to so many people in town. You reap what you sow and all that. Take Back Wareham.

#8 2009-12-12 13:24:53

edited out and replaced with next post

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-12-12 14:34:38)

#9 2009-12-12 14:33:59

Nora Bicki wrote:

section #7 of the Dec. 8 BoS meeting.

Here's the segment

12/08/09

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-12-12 14:35:31)

#10 2009-12-12 15:18:37

On the second viewing of the charade at the ending of last week's BOS meeting it dawned on me that the only BOS member with the "money smarts"  to know that her colleagues were either stupid or dupilcitous ...or BOTH...remained silent through it all.  Why am I not surprised?

#11 2009-12-13 09:02:52

Thanks P-Span for getting this clip up. And Dick, good catch. I didn't notice that Jane D was quiet since I was so focused on the lies. I was very disappointed though that Cruz (aka Sleepy) did not say a word in our defense. WHY am I disappointed?

Because Cruz was at the same Friends meeting with Marcia Griswold when the Friends said we will begin helping out financially in January after we raise some more money. He should have had the (fill in male anatomy part here) to speak up.  When someone or a group is being badmouthed unfairly, to sit quietly is just as bad as joining the group who are grinding said target into the dirt. They went on for about 10 minutes, so he had plenty of time to speak up.

People of Wareham unite!  We can no longer let this "rogue" group of selectmen run our town.

(Here is the reference to the "rogue" comment: During one of the BoS meetings after they "ousted" (also Brenda's word) the Trustees, Brenda called them a "rogue group of citizens" then those who were asked about it, all denied that in the depositions. Ironically, the person who typed up the minutes for that BoS meeting said Brenda called the Trustees a "role" group of citizens which makes absolutely no sense, yet the BoS accepted those minutes. We, however, have the actual transcript. As far as using the word "ousted," she later told the lawyers in the deposition that she didn't mean "ousted" since, of course, the former trustees were simply asked to "reapply" for their positions and were in no way kicked off the Board. Yeah, right. Nice people we've got running our town!!)

#12 2009-12-13 09:23:24

From the transcripts of August 7, 2007 Selectmen's meeting:

Eckstrom: Friday morning, um the library board of trustees or at this, for lack of a better word, rogue group of citizens, who are acting as library board of trustees, um, posted a meeting for the library board of trustees to meet this evening at 6 pm. Uh, when I had heard that, um, I contacted counsel and counsel had asked if anyone could go to it, and Mr. Sauvageau you might be, gonna give us an update on what happened this evening before I get into this letter.

Today's date is December 13, 2009--more than two years since the above meeting, and this BoS area still going after the library folks. Good thing the town doesn't have more pressing issues to deal with so their very own "punching bag" (aka the Friends, former Trustees, Foundation, and library in general) gets a regular workout. These BoS must be in great shape with all that exercise. Let's strap on the boxing gloves and go after the library, AGAIN!

P.S. I have the whole transcript as well as transcripts for quite a few of their meetings where they bad mouthed us if anyone is interested. The funny thing was watching the BoS deny they said stuff at their meetings during their depositions when we had their actual words and the DVDs of their meetings as well as the printed minutes (which I guess they never read either if they accepted minutes calling trustees "role" citizens)!!!

#13 2009-12-13 10:24:31

bbrady wrote:

marny wrote:

Marny, you may be right and I'm sure BE meant the former trustees but she stated the Friends have not deposited the settlement $$$ into the newly appointed trustee's account.  AGAIN, she spews without knowing what she's talking about.

I'm curious.  Has the "acting" director, MG, ever asked for support from the Friends ?  I'll guess not.  She has no people skills and no communication skills.

Did I tell you all about the time she flipped me off downtown and included lip service to go with the gesture (she didn't know it was me) ?  I followed her to the WCTV studio and told her to her face that she better never flip me off again.  She tried some lame excuse about being use to driving around Roxbury or Dorchester.  I reminded her that she was in Wareham now.

That sounds like a threat bob. You are such a tool.

#14 2009-12-13 10:29:58

A tool? Wow, is that in the spirit of open honest dialogue? I can see you are a very fine example of class act.

I look forward to your carefully thought out comments. Please let me know when you have one.

#15 2009-12-13 10:43:13

If only I were as eloquent as thee!

#16 2009-12-13 10:56:54

Beam…First of all welcome  Do you think it is appropriate for the director of the COA to be flipping people off. I don’t care where she is from or where she has lived in the past I personally think her actions were inappropriate.

#17 2009-12-13 11:01:45

Most of us were taught to stand up to bullies. Turning the other cheat just gets you slapped on the other side of the face. Sure flipping someone off is inappropriate (unless it is meant to push back and defend one's self).

#18 2009-12-13 11:24:06

At least you agree that it was inappropriate that’s a start. I’m confused by your reference to standing up to bullies. From what Bob said Marcia didn’t even know who he was, she was flipping off a total stranger. Since in my long life I have never flipped anyone off I don’t understand how you can compare flipping someone off to defending yourself. Believing or not believing in “turning the other cheek” is a personal life choice, a choice on which we are going to have to agree to disagree

#19 2009-12-13 11:29:01

What does it mean to "know" someone in this case. When a bully is threatening you you know them well enough! Cheek was the correct word, it must have been a Freudian slip.

#20 2009-12-13 11:42:17

I’m confused are you saying Bob threatened Marcia before she flipped him off?

#21 2009-12-13 12:02:14

Nora I was very disappointed to read that Mr. Cruz was at the friends meeting and heard what was said about the friends helping out in January. To know what was said at the friends meeting and not at least mention it the BOS meeting is extremely disappointing.

Mr. Cruz may not read this blog but I’m sure he must read his emails. I think as many people as possible should email him to express their disappointment and encourage him to share the information he has about the friends publicly at the next BOS meeting.

I will personally be sending him an email and I will also encourage him to read this blog especially Nora’s post about how much money the Friends have given to the library this year.

#22 2009-12-13 12:14:13

Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that Mr. Cruz is useless.
Anyone who is an elected official, especially the highest elect official in a Town, that cannot speak up, make any kind of comments, offer any advise or direction, offer a vision for the future, refuse to support the Chairman for his ignorance and arrogance,...is useless.
Ergo: Mr. Cruz is useless.
In my opinion.
Here's another opinion from me: beammeup is the troll.
No one uses the word tool except him.

#23 2009-12-13 12:44:53

Dan,
I've yet to judge Cruz completely. He is still fairly new and just getting a foothold on what is going on. Perhaps he needs support and information to assist in his pursuit to serve the people?

#24 2009-12-13 14:18:26

My hunch is that Walter doesn't understand the WFL organizational structure or he would have spoken up as he did with Sauvageau  over the sewage issue. But that doesn't get Walter "off the hook", and I hope  that he gets a letter from the folks he should have defended, explaining how very wrong Cronan and Eckstrom were at last week's BOS meeting, and offering to meet with him again.  My hunch is that Walter WANTS to understand the difference  among the three money sources: The Public Money, The Friends, and The Foundation . He is surrounded by people who still  want us to  believe that it's all public money. They lost their court battle, but they are still mouthing that it's all theirs to spend on pot holes and more litigation.  Nora has done a great service by explaining  how it is all meant to work , but when she takes us two steps forward, the BOS take the town three steps back.

I wonder if a weekly "Q"&"A" column in The Courier might work? The lack of understanding regarding the WFL isn't simply a "good guy- bad guy" thing...There are a lot of people who want to be behind WFL  who are confused about the finances.  We need to be the breed of teachers who say, "Now ,class : We are going to keep doing this over and over until you  all get it right !

See you at Cosi's !

#25 2009-12-13 15:03:50

Dick Wheeler wrote:

My hunch is that Walter WANTS to understand the difference  among the three money sources: The Public Money, The Friends, and The Foundation.

Dick..Great point (though I don't give Sleepy the slack you do)...I believe "people's" general belief that the Library is a public institution, and therefore all $$$ public $$$, and that any moves made are "shifty" by the Friends, etc...It a basic misunderstanding of the difference between "Private" and "Public"...

Like Dan has repeated..umm alot...I am really beginning to believe strongly that Government should NOT be involved in the Library..I feel very much that this Town had a much better "Library situation" when that was essentially the case..

Like I've heard in statements by the BoS to ADM..they seem to want to "bash" you (or impede your efforts)..and then have the gall to ask for donations, concessions, etc..or else...

April 6th..

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-12-13 15:13:00)

#26 2009-12-13 16:07:57

Larry,
Anybody who seeks the office of a member of the Board of Selectmen should have a handle on EVERY situation before the BOS before he or she sits down.
If they don't have that grasp of the issues and a vision of the future, they are useless.
Sorry...but I've given Cruz too much slack. If he is worthy of being a member of the BOS he should start acting like it. Be a leader. Speak up on issues. Be informed, educated and knowledgeable. Represent the people that expected much more out of you when they elected you.
If you can't do that....you are useless.
Ergo, in my opinion, Cruz is useless.
You...on the other hand...:)

#27 2009-12-13 21:53:34

Have any of those people ever taken a high school public speaking class? For crying out loud....   "um...., "ahhhh.......," "uuuummmmm"

"And I would ask, um, that they, um, and aahh, then thank, um...."

Take the marbles out of your mouths and learn to talk like an adult. I don't know how anyone could watch that video or the meetings on TV, let alone in person.

If you really need to pause and collect your thoughts, just keep your mouths shut.....

"It's been difficult, um, ah"

Last edited by GladToBeAway (2009-12-14 02:22:43)

#28 2009-12-13 22:02:06

OMG Gladtobeaway..you should go check out the short clip I posted of Brenda on the "Inside the Charter Review" thread..I think she broke the record for umm, uhhhs, and mmmm's..aw, heck..here it is..

"Uhmm, umm, uh, umm David Begley I think his name is"
Yeah, never heard of him before right BB?

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-12-13 22:02:27)

#29 2009-12-14 12:46:49

Dan has raised words of caution regarding  government meddling and P-Spam has made the apt observation that things at WFL seemed to be better when the BOS gave support but let the professionals run the place.

I want to make the point that although all of the  current library problems are due to BOS meddling, The Wareham Free Library never would have become the shining light of our town without the understanding and support of prior generations of  Select Board members  who valued the library. They saw it not as a frill but as the underpinning for "Cradle to Grave" education in our community. They were right.  Not only did WFL become a shining light for our town, it was a state-wide model for all towns of our size.  Prior BOS members also had the "business smarts" to recognize that  the strong library that developed under the leadership of Mary Jane Pillsbury was one of the best selling points to people and to businesses who were considering a move to Wareham. If the current board's major goal was to drive away people who value education they have succeeded.

The chaos began  three years ago with the " Tuesday Night Massacre"...The clumsy ousting of the WFL trustees on the trumped up charge that they had been illegally appointed, but which really was an  illegal -and obscenely expensive-attempt to gain control of  endowment funds  that have double protection by law. The endowment funds have come from gifts and bequests over the years  from WFL lovers who wanted the principal to remain untouched, with the annual interest being distributed as the endowment board sees fit.  This board is separate from the WFL trustees.  The  "double protection" I mentioned not only keeps  the BOS "sticky fingers" off, it also keeps the self perpetuating endowment board in line by keeping them from draining the principal in hard times such as we have now."Interest only" is the rule. (illustration: A $500,000 endowment might, in a boom year, yield $50K...The $500,000 principal would "go back to work" intact, and start earning interest for the next fiscal year. The BOS behave as if they don't understand this reality. My "read" is that they do understand but want to deceive the Town.)

Now what we are seeing is a BOS that wants to make Wareham taxpayers think the the WFL is sitting on money that should be used to replace what the town is mandated to give. By their behavior they are sending the signal that they want the library to fail, but want to make it seem as if the failure was caused by selfish people  hiding "secret money".

If the WFL were to be forced to stay afloat without the tax payer support that is mandated by the state ...the library would soon cease to exist.  There have been hints from FinCom and from the ITA that this is going to happen. What we are seeing is a plan to make it seem as if the Town, alas, could have kept "our dear Library" afloat, but "The Embezzlers made it impossible."

So back to Dan and P-Spam: It's possible to have government tax support without having the BOS meddling in the day to day stuff....Consider our schools. The government input is to hire the Superintendent and then let him 'do his thing", with periodic reviews.  The Library should be run the same way.

Last edited by Dick Wheeler (2009-12-14 13:03:32)

#30 2009-12-14 15:50:19

I love you, Dick Wheeler!
Let me say this, as I have to Nora, you, your wife and dozens of others: Government has no business in the library business.
When all of the libraries in Wareham were free and independent of the government, they survived, thrived and grew.
People, you and me, supported the libraries and knew we always would.
Sometimes many years ago the libraries would ask the Town Meeting for money to help subsidize their operations, and have asked for help from the Town Meeting and  from Town government to help write grants from the Federal and Sate governments.
That is the way to run a library.
No-one in the history of this Town of Wareham has ever allowed a library to fail, and no one ever will...except elected officials that have an agenda and will do every thing in their power to watch the libraries fail.
Get government out of the library business!
Love you, Dick...

#31 2009-12-15 07:54:40

danoconnell wrote:

I love you, Dick Wheeler!
Let me say this, as I have to Nora, you, your wife and dozens of others: Government has no business in the library business.
When all of the libraries in Wareham were free and independent of the government, they survived, thrived and grew.

During your tenure on the BoS Dan, the library was still in the Tobey building and the PRIVATE corporation known as The Wareham Free Library, Inc. paid all the bills and had done so since its inception in 1891. I read one old hand written set of minutes where the Board of Trustees discussed whether or not to pay for health insurance for the small staff. They paid a local man to repair broken windows, put the trash barrels out each week, shovel snow, mow grass etc. All was paid by the corporation.

But even with generous donors, the cost of salaries with benefits, utility bills etc. far outpaced the income on investments. So during the 70s, the town began paying for salaries and benefits while the corporation paid all the other bills. In 1977, town meeting voted to appoint a transition committee that would turn all the assets of the private corporation to the town. I've posted this history on another thread in the past, but to summarize, it was eventually decided that the WFL would remain a public/private hybrid like the other 70 libraries in the state that are also hybrids. There are documents to prove this including town meeting reports.

When the Tobey building became too small, the town applied for a grant and the new library was built and opened in 1991.

For a private corporation to pay for the salaries and benefits of a full staff, all the operating costs, books and materials etc., that corporation would need enough in investments to earn an income of approximately $500,000 (the annual budget where the library was staffed fully and opened more than the minimum requirement in the recent past).

Because in most small towns, there is not such a significant amount in a library trust fund, towns stepped up to finance the local libraries. Without towns paying for libraries, I fear many libraries would have closed.

MY FINAL POINT IS THIS: FOR MORE THAN 15 YEARS I SERVED ON THE FRIENDS AND/OR THE TRUSTEES BOARDS AND THERE WAS NEVER A PROBLEM WITH OUR LIBRARY BEING A PUBLIC/PRIVATE HYBRID. THE FIN COM, TA, AND BOS ALL KNEW ABOUT THE TRUST FUND BUT ALSO KNEW THE LIBRARY NEEDED TOWN FUNDING. IT HAS ONLY BEEN IN THE PAST 3-4 YEARS THAT THERE HAS BEEN AN ISSUE.

I guess our BoS never heard of the phrase--if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!! We have now been decertified last year, and unless Pacheco gets the legislation passed, we will be decertified as of Jan. first. The library was NEVER decertified in the past. What is different now?  You  decide.

#32 2009-12-15 08:16:52

You pointed out what is different Nora...you have idiots determining your future.
I remember as a Selectman I fought against the Town of Wareham taking over the library operations for the same reasons I have posted here.
Government has no business in the library business.
The downfall is you have a BOS that could care less about the wonderful history of both "free' and independent libraries.
They , the BOS, are literally your downfall if they are not stopped.
How do you stop it and turn it over to a hybrid as it was in the past that was successful and worked together with private and government cooperation?
I have no blessed idea.
But, I do know, that you and the hundreds like you that have dedicated your lives to the betterment and continued growth and survival of the library system do not need to be insulted, accused of crimes, put under a microscope by useless individuals, and vilified, even in death, by a bunch of ignorant malcontents.
That I know.
I once again thank you and all of your wonderful brothers and sisters for the service and dedication you have provided to the Town of Wareham.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com