#1 2008-12-30 13:09:45

These postings came from another thread, but they do deserve their own posting.  So here they are.....

Originally posted by IHATESLAGER

Ragman Are You Letting Your Advertisers Know Your New Policies??? 1. Ragman Can Barely Update His Online Version Of The Paper In A Timely Manner As He Once Did Before 2. Ragman No Longer Distributes Papers To His "free" Locations. That Lasted About Two Weeks. 3. If An Advertiser Asks Ragman To Pull Their Ad Because They Do Not Want Anything To Do With His Paper Anymore Ragman Will Ignore You And Continue To Run Your Ad So That No One Will Think Im Going Down The Tubes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr Slager, On Page 17 Of You Rag You Violated A Law And I Want You To Acknowledge It. You Cannot Put An Ad As A Paid Political Advertisment And Not List Who Paid For It Whether It Be An Individual Or A Group. You Must Print Who The Paid Political Advertisment Was Paid For And You Did Not. So Either Your Lying And Just Trying To Fill Newspaper Pages Or You Violated The Law! And Why Does Every Story Deal With Dolls With You!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ragman I Read Your Letters To The Editor. Are You Writing Letters To Yourself Again Ragman. Come One Ragman Its So Obvious. And Now Your Running Whole Page Letters From "a Concerned Citizen" Whatever Happended To Your Policy About Signing Your Name. Down The Drain Along With Your Paper!

Last edited by commonsense (2008-12-30 13:10:24)

#2 2008-12-31 07:49:23

Interesting, I did not realize that the free copies of the Wareham rag were no longer being distributed. I did think that having free papers and pay papers was stupid, but look who we're talking about here. I would say that the current situation is tantamount to fraud and is easily actionable by any of the advertisers for a full refund and certainly damages as for any lost sales through the holidays. I'm sure the advertisers will hear about this as I know some who read this blog.

As for the legal advertisement, I haven't seen it as i won't pay for a copy, but perhaps the ad was free, filling the newspaper, which is legal, but under MGL Chapter 55, Section 8A space must be provided for opposing views. Either way, free or paid, the guidelines state that the advertisement must be preceded by the word "advertisement" on a separate line, the name and address of the individual placing the advertisement must be in the advertisement, and the publisher must have a signed authorization form on hand from the party placing the advertisement which is "retained by the newspaper or periodical for not less than one year, and shall be available to any person upon request." So anyone could pop by bob's office and ask to see this. Lastly, should any of these guidelines be violated the corporation would be liable with a fine of up to ten thousand dollars. So should anyone want to clip out the advertisement and send it off to he AGs office, hint hint, I think bob could be facing some new expenses.

It is odd that the ragman claims to be so smart yet doesn't even know the basic laws governing the state he publishes in.

Sorry for sounding like a lawyer, but I thought this would be a good read for those interested, no charge.

#3 2008-12-31 10:41:31

I Didnt Pay For It Either I Read It At The Store And Then Put It Back. He Has A Letter Supporting The Bos And His Paper On A Full Page And Is Signed "a Concerned Citizen" Around The Letter It Is Printed "paid Political Advertsement" And That Is All.

#4 2008-12-31 10:57:06

im a concerned citizen and i am officially calling for bob slagers' resignation.  he is clearly out of control and needs to be stopped before he does any more damage

think it'll work on the narcissistic egomaniacal brillo head

#5 2008-12-31 12:28:34

Obviously paid for by the comittee to elect Bob Slager God.

#6 2008-12-31 13:08:39

All bow to Slager

#7 2008-12-31 14:17:12

Interesting, from what you described the slobserver has clearly violated Massachusetts Generals Laws, specifically Chapter 56, Section 39, and whoever paid for the advertisement might have violated the law as well if they did not pay by check and document the expense - MGL 55-7. AND if this is a phony political advertisement which bob is passing off as being from a "concerned citizen" and he can not prove who it was placed by he could easily be facing jail time for fraudulent practices under the laws governing elections. I would say that it would be well worth the 75 cents to get a copy of this edition. Anyone who would hold an interest in seeing the rag held to the law could easily follow up on this with the AG's office, hint hint, and it wouldn't cost anything. If this did come down to an investigation, I'm sure that the back issues of the rag would show multiple violations of the same nature, all of which would be separate charges with fines of up to $10,000 each. Said back issues are required to be on hand at the publication office for a period of five years as outlined by Federal Regulations under the Department of Commerce, if they are not, again, each missing issue is a separate violation of law with a fine of up to $100,000.

A publisher could find themselves to be out a lot of money real fast for not knowing the law, or intentionally subverting the law. Again, sorry for that lawyer talk, no charge.

Now bob, knowing that you read this by the minute, here's some legal advice as I'm feeling charitable this time of year...
Immediately pen a letter to the Ag's office outlining your violation and that you were not aware of the guidelines, that you are prepared to make full restitution for any damages that may have occurred from this violation and correctly publish the required information in the next issue including, a copy of the signed release form and the full name and address of the individual responsible for the publication of the advertisement, as required by law. Should you do this, and your letter gets to an examining attorney before any other letter of complaint you may stand a chance. It's your best shot now that you've screwed the pooch. Oh yes, and, should charges be brought and proof that you knew what the requirements were, say by reading this, your chances would be cut back severely, sorry about that part.

As they say, the race is on, so who has a pen?

#8 2008-12-31 14:44:34

flox wrote:

If this did come down to an investigation, I'm sure that the back issues of the rag would show multiple violations of the same nature, all of which would be separate charges with fines of up to $10,000 each.

Want deeper pockets?

Slager was pulling the same pay-to-play stunts at the Boston Record's Wareham Bulletin.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com