#1 2008-11-23 03:58:50

Stop me if you've heard me say this before, because I have repeated it to any who'd listen for -30- years.

ANY time you hear some fuckwit describe him or herself as a journalist, loud alarms should ring in your head. Journalist is a Charlatan synomym.

Newspaper reporting shaped me the same way Paris Island did for my closest friends here as a kid, a close order drill that taught me to think and learn with my fingers. There were, as everywhere else, skunks in the woodpile.

https://cruelery.com/header/HSgeraldorivera.png

Local newspapers are gone. Better than nothing but never entirely reliable, so good riddance, right?

Not unless you have a twisted taste for the psycho drama we're watching.

Local government has to sit in the transparent glare of one interactive website, with text transcription of every spoken word. Until it does, we get more of the same.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#2 2008-11-23 06:20:47

Although I've heard the word "pander" many times  I wanted to understand your reference to the opinion of the white-shirted gentleman above.  Fishing for my old fashioned, hand-held dictionary I found:

n. pander: a person who caters to or profits from the weaknesses or vices of others; a procurer; a pimp.
          v.i. to cater to the tast of vulgar persons.

Could these definitions apply, not only to Slager, but Liz and K&P?

#3 2008-11-23 07:52:00

In the world of journalism, there are many unscrupulous characters out there, but our Ragman has got to be the worst - a complete thug, a ganster with a pen. 

I keep my ear to the ground and whenever someone is lied about in that Rag, I ask them or someone that knows them, why don't you complain, why don't you sue?

The answer is the same - "If I respond, he'll just lie about me more." 

Like the gangster that lets you know things will be bad for you if you go to the cops, the Ragman  says, this is the Rag's version of the truth, and if you complain, the Rag will not stop until it destroys you.

What a horrible situation for this town to live in.

#4 2008-11-23 08:40:30

waterview wrote:

n. pander: a person who caters to or profits from the weaknesses or vices of others; a procurer; a pimp.
          v.i. to cater to the tast of vulgar persons.

Could these definitions apply, not only to Slager, but Liz and K&P?

Pandering in the sense of appealing to purient, or baser, human instincts; the lowest common denominator.

Race War!, one week. Class War!, the next. Then Police Brutality! and Elitist Librarians! Rinse and repeat. Stir Effluent Discharge! into the town water supply two years running while the Selectmen/Sewer Commissioners watch.

Women of negotiable virtue might flash some bare boob. For Geraldo, it means pretending to parachute behind enemy lines, digging up Al Capone's vault or repeatedly buzzing golf tournament swells in a helicopter after they denied him membership at the Kittansett Club. 'Scuse me, I'm all choked up...

http://buzzardsbay.net/discuss/img/2007-06-23-Sat-5-25-07-pm.jpg

Last edited by billw (2008-11-23 09:00:15)

#5 2008-11-23 08:52:55

Hamatron5000 wrote:

What a horrible situation for this town to live in.

Slager deserves his awful fate for exploiting a rotten sitution but he didn't chase any newspapers out of town. They were already gone and nothing will bring them back, not unless some other slimy political upstart decides to underwrite his own news again.

Without open and transparent local government, we'll repeat this same horror show over and over and over again.

#6 2008-11-23 08:58:39

There's also the advertorial end of sleezyness. It has become the norm to run articles promoting businesses and pass them off as informative stories, isn't that what advertising is supposed to be? A wonderful example of this is the repeated stories about Wareham Crossing in the slobserver. Convenient that these stories coincided with the grand opening of the plaza. The Courier basically did the same thing, and both papers had big ads from the plaza. To use a slagerism, shameful. The part that makes this such a milestone event for the slobserver is that bob had such a woodie for Andrea Smith's crusade against the building of Wareham Crossing that he just knew she would be a dedicated journalist - there's that word - alarm sounding. Then just a few short months later, Andrea Smith herself is writing the stories about the grand Wareham Crossing. Talk about selling your soul! Way to pimp out newsapers in general to make a buck.

#7 2008-11-23 09:09:16

flox wrote:

There's also the advertorial end of sleezyness.

Revolting, isn't it? Would it surprise you if I suggested that crap began more than 25 years ago? Local newspapers are gone, Flux. All that remains are pimps and shills.

Locally owned and operated businesses are shit out of luck. Meanwhile, Wareham's recently ousted development director is apparently sleeping with its largest landowner. What a world, huh?

Last edited by billw (2008-11-23 09:14:07)

#8 2008-11-23 11:05:57

Have you noticed that the Rag has been doing more and more "news" stories on its advertisers?  Case in point - right around when the Rag announced its financial meltdown, the Rag had a full page - half was a "story" about a new salon opening, the other half an advertisement for the salon.

Sickening...especially from a guy who rails up and down that every paper but his panders to advertisers.

There was a market for a small independent newspaper in Wareham - but, a newspaper that was unbiased, told both sides of the story, was receptive to complaints (not threatening the complainers)...told all points of view and let the people decide, that is the type of paper that would have thrived in this town.

That's not what the Rag produced.  Instead, he sacrificed his reputation and credibility to start printing up what is essentially a promotional newsletter for the current ruling regime.

Our marketplace tends to regulate what is a good idea and what's a bad idea.  If trying to pass off a pro-Brucey newsletter as a newspaper was a good idea, then advertisers and subscribers would have supported it.  They' didn't.  They saw right through it.

Sadly, the Ragman has failed twice at this and still hasn't realized his utter stupidity.

So sad when a pathetic and perpetual failure doesn't realize his shortcomings and won't just fade away into obscurity to avoid further embarrassment to himself.

#9 2008-11-23 11:31:12

Hamatron5000 wrote:

There was a market for a small independent newspaper in Wareham

No but you still hit the nail on the head.

There isn't and wasn't a market for any kind of Wareham newspaper, not for quite some years. True, nobody noticed until now. The multinational chains that have owned the Courier and the Standard Times just shuffled around their debt until they too went bust and got swallowed.

The only reason Slager has survived as long as he has is by shaking down everyone with a grudge and a fat wallet. If he tries to sue anyone, they'll see immediately how he financed this scam. Same goes for Sauvageau.

Last edited by billw (2008-11-23 11:35:16)

#10 2008-11-23 14:45:22

billw wrote:

Hamatron5000 wrote:

There was a market for a small independent newspaper in Wareham

There isn't and wasn't a market for any kind of Wareham newspaper, not for quite some years. .

The Cape Cod Independent seemed to do well until Elsie died.  I think that is when Eliz decided to start her paper.  Can't  remember if she wrote for the Independent or not.

#11 2008-11-23 21:45:19

Sam,

Elsie earned a good living with the Cape Cod Independent.  She was fair to all and respected by all on all sides, and yet, she was not a pushover and she sniffed out the news. She was tough but fair, and you could tell her your complaints and concerns, and disagree with her without fear of reprisal and retribution. Which goes against the Ragman's apparent theory that you can only be a reporter if you're a total douche.

I'm not saying an independent paper can make big bucks, I don't think they can, but earning a basic living doing it is possible. 

Too bad that Ragman squalored away an opportunity by throwing fairness, objectivity, and any chance at turning a profit out the window just to be Brucey's bagman.  It's never good when reporters allow their friendships with their subjects to compromise their objectivity.

But the Ragman had 2 chances, and blew them both bigtime.  The smart thing to do would be to stop hemoraging money and give up on trying to turn a buck on a shamelessly partisan pro-selectman newsletter. 

Alas, the Ragman has never been known for his smarts.  He has no one to blame for his failures but himself, but surely he will blame everyone else but himself.  That's what shameless political partisans like the Ragman do.

All I know is that the damage and division that he created in this town will take over a decade to fix.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2008-11-23 21:56:22)

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com